• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Another Warcraft & World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The title might doesn't explain it well.

Is there are any other game similar to Warcraft which has an editor like WE?
Having able to create a custom scenario by in-game triggers, and especially with a scripting language (JASS) that provides an extensive API which gives programmers control over nearly every aspect of the game world.
List of level editors (Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Level 15
Apparently Dota 2 is looking to do similar.

The problem with SC2 is primarily in how maps are indexed, only the most popular maps are shown at the top in the UI. As well, the editor is much more complex and obfuscated.

I'll be honest though, I haven't fiddled with SC2 since the Beta. I wasn't impressed by it and cancelled my pre-order.

Level 34
There's nothing as friendly as World Edit. SC2 and Dota2 have powerful editing software, but as Blarg mentioned, SC2 is much more difficult to use at first. Dota I have no idea, but I would assume it's also more complicated than wc3.

The beauty with World Edit is that the difficulty curve is fairly gradual for that kind of software.

Level 15
Dota 2 is working on getting their tools up to par, but as mentioned above, it has a much steeper learning curve than the world editor.

Honestly, the WE is a fantastic tool. The base it gives you start from is substantial, and the learning curve is gentle enough that most people can jump in and at least make something. But, it also has a surprising amount of depth, and it's amazing to see what people have been able to do with it over the years.

Honestly, if you're starting to hit your limit with the World Editor, I would look at giving a full-blown game engine a try. I've used quite a few different engines over the years, but Unity has the most gentle learning curve of the lot, and you can get something thrown together rather quickly. It uses a proper language (C#), which means there are a ton of resources for learning the language, and the actual documentation for the Unity API is very well done, and there are a ton of resources out there to help get you started.

Something worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.