• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Game Editors Similar to the World Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Anyone know if there are any custom game editors/map editors/etc similar to the WC3 World Editor? I've tried the SC2 Galaxy Editor, as well as the DOTA 2 Editor, and I really can't find myself using either one. They're far too complex, annoying, and time-consuming.

Unfortunately, since WC3 is dying, there's no real point in creating maps on there anymore. The community is growing smaller and smaller, which is to be expected of an ancient game like WC3.

tl;dr

Anyone know if there's anything similar to the WC3 World Editor?

Anyone know if there are any custom game editors/map editors/etc similar to the WC3 World Editor? I've tried the SC2 Galaxy Editor, as well as the DOTA 2 Editor, and I really can't find myself using either one. They're far too complex, annoying, and time-consuming.

Unfortunately, since WC3 is dying, there's no real point in creating maps on there anymore. The community is growing smaller and smaller, which is to be expected of an ancient game like WC3.

tl;dr

Anyone know if there's anything similar to the WC3 World Editor?

None that are as utilized as it.

Level 34
TBH you're not going to find anything as easy-to-use as World Editor. There are plenty of modding communities out there for a vast number of games, but all of them would require significantly more time and effort than good'ol WE.

There are things like RPG Maker and the like. Different vein, but I thought I'd mention them.

Level 21

What?
This is wrong. The community is still alive and hectic. It will only really die when too many people will start believing it will die.
Anyway, to answer your question and get back on-topic, no, I don't know other great editors like the World Editor.

Level 28
There are things like RPG Maker and the like. Different vein, but I thought I'd mention them.

RPG Maker is great and its probably the best that you can have since you can still make legit games there with zero programming knowledge although knowing RUBY will help a lot. If you're interested I suggest you download the free VX Ace to familiarize yourself on the engine then wait for the release of RPG Maker MV and purchase that. The new installment promise to bring support to javascript, multiplatform, higher resolution, two default combat system, three map layers and the most awaited mouse and touch support!

You can also try IG Maker, I haven't tried this but seems promising, you can make 3D game here. Another 2D engine is engine001 its pretty cool and easy to learn but lacks the community resources that RPG Maker offers and Construct2 is also pretty powerful and newb friendly but again this also lacks the resources available for RPG Maker.

Level 34
This is what makes World Editor, it's very easy to use and one of a kind. I'm glad there are no similar editors. World Editor keeps Warcraft 3 alive, without it Warcraft 3 would have been dead just like the rest of most older games.
Really? Why wouldn't you want a newer better WE? Even if it wasn't wc3, something just as easy and powerful would be really awesome.

Really? Why wouldn't you want a newer better WE? Even if it wasn't wc3, something just as easy and powerful would be really awesome.

Because game industry would be over-flooded with useless crap that makes 60% of Warcraft 3 maps. That 40% are actually high quality polished maps with great design.

Yes it would be easier, but that is also a bad thing. Some people would take that opportunity to create a crappy game to play with friends online. There would be millions of such rip-offs.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
On the travesty, god forbid someone should wish to create to a game to play with friends.

... I don't think that's a bad thing. If I hadn't played that 60% of "crappy games" then I certainly wouldn't be here now, or have met the people that I've met and formed lasting friendships with.

On the travesty, god forbid someone should wish to create to a game to play with friends.

... I don't think that's a bad thing. If I hadn't played that 60% of "crappy games" then I certainly wouldn't be here now, or have met the people that I've met and formed lasting friendships with.

I never said it's a bad thing, I just said that most of those maps (even I loved playing them despite them being crappy) have poor terrain, game mechanics are purely made from countless previous rip-offs. They were good maps to play on Warcraft 3 but not to be independent from it. If they were "games" I would certainly not play them.

Most of that 60% lacks creativity. Pick a hero and smash monsters, level up (get better items) and smash some more. I want creativity in game industry.

Level 21
Creative game design takes some time to learn, even if you are talented at it. By providing people with a way to make tons of bad maps you also give the talented ones a way to show what they are capable of. The value is mostly in them seeing what they can do, although as a side-effect it also gives us maps to play.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I never said it's a bad thing, I just said that most of those maps (even I loved playing them despite them being crappy) have poor terrain, game mechanics are purely made from countless previous rip-offs. They were good maps to play on Warcraft 3 but not to be independent from it. If they were "games" I would certainly not play them.

Most of that 60% lacks creativity. Pick a hero and smash monsters, level up (get better items) and smash some more. I want creativity in game industry.

I agree, I want that too. But WC3 was a platform for many of us into the game industry. Some ex-Hivers' projects are in the wild now, some have joined studios. Some have even made their own.

WC3 is a dead platform, though. I mean dead in a lighthearted way, what I am really getting at is that it's a platform no longer attracting users. We need new world editors to continue the cycle, to attract newer people, and to create the communities and networks that wc3 did.

I agree, I want that too. But WC3 was a platform for many of us into the game industry. Some ex-Hivers' projects are in the wild now, some have joined studios. Some have even made their own.

WC3 is a dead platform, though. I mean dead in a lighthearted way, what I am really getting at is that it's a platform no longer attracting users. We need new world editors to continue the cycle, to attract newer people, and to create the communities and networks that wc3 did.

New world editors? That would not really happen, besides that is what still keeps us in Warcraft 3 - modding. Nobody is gonna waste the effort to create something better than what Unity (or other game creation software) can do. Hiveworkshop will not attract new users, it is mainly a community that began with Warcraft 3 modding. Just look at how Dota 2 (or non-Blizzard game) forums are inactive.

Warcraft 3 is still pretty much alive, I'm optimistic.

Crap maps are important. Not only do they provide the possibility to grow for any mapper, but they also keep the players occupied until a few gems get released.

Part of the reason why SC2 failed, btw. The custom game community pretty much lost interest before some good maps were released.

Status
Not open for further replies.