• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

WC3 modding vs. Game Creation - Similarities and Illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello,
I often hear people in my surroundings saying things like
'Having learnt Jass and having modded Warcraft helped me a lot to get a step into the real business' or 'If you can mod Warcraft, then the next step is Unity' and similar messages.

How much is it actually reality ?

If I can create good 3D models bases and animate them, can I then create models for professional games ?
If I can write complex systems in Jass, can I then more or less switch easily to Java and game programming languages ?

Of course, it is like comparing an apple and a banana, but I would like to know, what do you think, how much truth is behind the sentence 'Warcraft modding will give you an advantage when stepping forward to professional game creation' ?

Do you think it is illusionary to think someone who is able to completely create a Warcraft map ( 2D, 3D, triggers) is also able to easily switch to other editors like Unity or the Galaxy Editor ?
Does having modded Warcraft allows you to make bigger steps in learning than someone who starts from the very basic in the new editor ?
Or do you have to start from 0, as each editor is completely unique ?

Level 21
Actually the WC3 modding helped me a little with real life. In grade 9, I was taking various functions of Microsoft Excel in ICT and I was surprised that many commands were similar to the trigger editor (e.g if, then, else). This is just one humble example. The knowledge of JASS and GUI already gives you a clear background about coding and simplifies the process of learning more advanced editors/tools. It gives you that little exta help that a normal person doesn't have. You acquire the basics of programming which are a great asset in this field.
I can say the same about modelling and game creation.

This is no illusion, it's reality. WC3 modding benefits future programmers and artists someway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If I can create good 3D models bases and animate them, can I then create models for professional games ?
Yes and no. It certainly gives you practice and some of the skills but you will need to keep an open mind for more skills.
If I can write complex systems in Jass, can I then more or less switch easily to Java and game programming languages ?
This is true with any first programming language. Once you know one programming language, learning others is a lot easier. I had little problem picking up on C and Java after learning JASS. You learn to understand programming languages.

Of course, it is like comparing an apple and a banana, but I would like to know, what do you think, how much truth is behind the sentence 'Warcraft modding will give you an advantage when stepping forward to professional game creation' ?
There is quite a bit of truth behind it. However unfortunately it is not credible truth. Unless you made assets or systems that were incorporated into DotA Allstars, most companies will laugh at you if you put details about your WC3 modding experience on a CV

Do you think it is illusionary to think someone who is able to completely create a Warcraft map ( 2D, 3D, triggers) is also able to easily switch to other editors like Unity or the Galaxy Editor ?
Learning one editor gives you skills you can use to learn another. It might take you a year to get any decent map out of WC3, but on your next platform it may only take a month or two. You learn how to learn to use such platforms.

Does having modded Warcraft allows you to make bigger steps in learning than someone who starts from the very basic in the new editor ?
It does not particularly allow bigger steps as unfortunately there are no shortcuts to learning. It does however make you progress through the steps much faster so in the end saves time.

Or do you have to start from 0, as each editor is completely unique ?
Although some core knowledge might transfer such as terminology, understanding of performance, design techniques etc most of it will be unique so you will be starting near 0 as far as actually being able to do anything. The big advantage learning WorldEdit gives you is that you can advance from 0 to a point you can do something in less time than without the experience.

Wc3 modding is a springboard into your interests. If you enjoy the coding side of things, you should look into programming. If you enjoy the graphical side of things, you should look into 2D art or 3D modeling, etc.

It helps one way or another. You'll be able to do anything you want if you have the right motivation. :) I recommend exploring options as early as possible. If I had spent half the time I did for wc3 modding on different platforms, e.g. mobile/unity/unreal engine, then I probably would be pretty proficient in them by now. If you're already in college/uni you probably won't have nearly as much time (but it is never too late!). Whether the relationship is a reality or not is entirely up to you.

Well, for coding i don't know a thing, but for modeling, err... i don't think really able reach anywhere to professional if its just warcraft modding, for Dota2 might have some chance,

However, warcraft modeling is what makes me choose my decision for my studies, i decided to take animation.

Anyway, Warcraft modding give me quite alot of boost in my study, like handling program like photoshop or after effect (And More to come, probably maya will come), I somehow find myself pick up new program faster than some people. (well... lots of classmate using those software like getting real lost. )
and warcraft modding makes me know how to explore abit on some ways, And Making "Combos" with different tools insome software, somewhat makes me more creative on using tools (Not on my work though, I am super not creative on that :(, always creating some generic stuff)

Unless you made assets or systems that were incorporated into DotA Allstars, most companies will laugh at you if you put details about your WC3 modding experience on a CV.
This one made me stop for a while and think about it. I tried to find an answer to it, but then I noticed that you might be right with this assumption.

It's kinda ironic, isn't it? DOTA was at no point ever the pineapple of WC3 modding. The terrain was horrible (compared to a lot of other maps), the coding was bad and the art assets were mostly used by other maps aswell.
Not even the idea was new.

And yet if you worked on DOTA at some point in your modding history, you might have a much stronger standpoint in the industry than if you modded some other (technically superior) map.

Status
Not open for further replies.