• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why modding Warcraft 3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Why are just modding Warcraft 3 ? Many people know Jass and so it's easy for them to learn something like C++ or Delphi, so they can programm their own games. Or the Terrainers; they create wonderfull landscapes. Why they don't make a game together with the Jass Pros ? Or limits; if you have your own game, you won't have any limits !

But have a view at my list, it tells more. Then give me your opinion, why modding Wc3 or why it'S better to make own games.
Pros for modding Wc3 /Cons for creating own games:
- Engine / Physics / Code is already there
- Good for beginners
- You don't need any skills in programming, GUI is very friendly to beginners

Cons for modding Wc3 / Pros for creating own games:
- "Little" Maps, only up to 16 tilesets (more variation in own games)
- Battle.Net Download is crap, only 4 Mb allowed
- Limits removed in own games
- 50-75 % of maps have nothing to do with the Original Warcaft

So, in my opinion, if you're good at programming, you could create your own games. But if you have no expirience with this, better leave at modding games.

Level 6
I agree with you. I think if you're actually good enough a programmer to create your own game, you should very much go ahead. But, most people aren't, so its easier for most people to do.

Level 6
When modding warcraft III, you don't have graphical issues. You don't need to code all the game engine (making a unit move, path finding and so on...).

And there is a script language, so you don't need to take long time re-building your code after you just had fixed ZE bug and ZE new bug...

Scripting is also obviously very faster than creating a game from the scratch. There is also a warcraft III community, so it's easy to publish new maps, were publishing a new game instead would be much harder.

There is also a poll of models, icon... You don't need to care about the interface...

Status
Not open for further replies.