• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unity (or other ways to make a game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi. Have people started to move towards Unity or other programs that you can use to make an actual game. Warcraft 3 Reforged unfortunately killed my motivation to work with map making tools. Is it possible to create a basic RTS game with Unity easily? I have no real experience about coding things from scratch.

Speaking from my experience: not easily. The great advantage about using Warcraft III World Editor or Starcraft II Galaxy Editor lies in the availability of AAA assets. In your Unity/Unreal game you have to buy them (usually very expensive if you seek quality) or make them (very hard, even if you don't seek AAA quality standards).

It should be pretty easy to make a Unity rts, there should be plenty of "ready-to-use" packages for free on their asset store. There should also be a lot of okay-ish to good free models there. But style-wise it might be hard to find matching models if you want a cohesive theme using it. You have to be able to program though.

Personally I'm developing in C++ / Python.

Level 12
It should be pretty easy to make a Unity rts, there should be plenty of "ready-to-use" packages for free on their asset store. There should also be a lot of okay-ish to good free models there. But style-wise it might be hard to find matching models if you want a cohesive theme using it. You have to be able to program though.
For RTS games, pretty much true, except for networking part. (At least two years ago, not sure what is the situation now) There was no support for common RTS networking architecture (lockstep) at all, so you had to code most of the stuff yourself.

Level 4
I didn't say it is not capable (I even implied it can be done), but there is no already-available solution that Unity provides. I will look at the thing you linked, but at first glance that seems incomplete to me.
I used it on a few games it’s complete enough to work with I have multiple games for sale on steam and tbh if you need a package or starter quick asset game development just isn’t for you the thing about using a game engine is that it’s a tool you just need to learn to manipulate it in the manner you need that being said there are hundreds of rts kits out there for unity I simply linked one to locksteping in particular

I didn't say it is not capable (I even implied it can be done), but there is no already-available solution that Unity provides. I will look at the thing you linked, but at first glance that seems incomplete to me.
No where in any of my posts did I even remotely suggest that you said it wasn’t capable either

Last edited:
Level 15
How about something noob/lazy friendly, like Dreams on PS4?

... its made on PS4. wtf. Everything is GUI coding. From what I see, model creation is like sculpting in game. Making animation is like any other programs, with FK rig. And there is no loading ._. WITH PS4 CONTROLLER o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.