• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Models in Unity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hiya, I have spent a lot my time in the world editor learning to program and develop games. The last year or so I've noticed my world editor maps really only use the graphics system of Warcraft, because my games are too far off from the Warcraft model... so I have started looking elsewhere for a programming environment because I keep running into limitations of the world editor graphics (mainly the lack of a viable custom UI system).

So now I have Unity, am learning the basics, and I am wondering how easy it would be to get Warcraft 3 models into the Unity engine? Or if it's even possible without any modelling experience? I love programming, but am not an artist, and there are plenty of models I like at Hive here, so I want to start developing in Unity with my favorite Warcraft models :D

Level 1
It shouldn't be too hard with NeoDex. Import them to Gmax / 3ds Max and export from there to something that Unity can understand.

It's not legal, though, so yeah.

Thank you! I'll try that out and see if it works... As far as not being legal, I'll only use them for personal learning originally. What if I used only custom non-blizzard models from hive and give credit, would that still be illegal?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What if I used only custom non-blizzard models from hive and give credit, would that still be illegal?
That would probably be fine as I do not think they have a licence that prevents non WC3/SC2 use.

Be aware that a lot of WC3 custom models depend on WC3 internal texture assets in order to keep import size down. In this case it would be illegal as you would need to export WC3 assets to use it which violates the terms of use and copyright and other such licences of the game. The model would be fine if these internal texture assets were substituted for assets under an appropriate licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.