• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do I deserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am using a free Unity.

I have 2% knowledge about programming and 1% knowledge about models.

I view some videos about Unity so I have 1% knowledge about it.

How many years do you think can I learn to create a game?

Or is Unity Free is good enough to create a game?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I have 2% knowledge about programming and 1% knowledge about models.
I believe 100% of people in the world fall less than that in knowledge of stuff seeing how much knowledge there is. You cannot really quantify with percentages how much of something you know as the total is unclear.

How many years do you think can I learn to create a game?
Depends on your qualifications. If you are straight out of highschool about 3-4 years of computer science and such courses. If you already have a computer science degree and just have never covered graphics probably 1-2 months of research.

Or is Unity Free is good enough to create a game?
Do keep in mind that it is not "free" completely. Specifically if you plan to commercialize your game you could end up paying a significant amount due to the licences involved. However it might be worth the saving in time writing your own engine but that is up to you to decide.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So what if I made my game free do i need still to pay?..
Their licencing policy should be publically available. I would recommend checking it yourself as it might vary from country to country or something silly.

If I done create a game in Unity... can I proudly call it a GAME?..
Yes since Unity is nothing more than an engine (which some licence versions allow you to modify the core of). A lot of commercial games for platforms such as PC, Xbox One and PS4 that you can buy over the counter in shops are now done using Unity.

However calling it "my game" is something different as the Unity engine is not yours.

Well in warcraft you call it custom map but not a game.
That is because of the restrictions in place. Unity is much closer to full programming at times than WC3 with some licences allowing you to modify core components of it and rebuild them.

Level 6
Thank you for the answers but here is the other one..

I decided to make my game free so it will not conflict with the unity pro since I am using Unity Free..

- Can I put my game in Facebook or y8?
- Or it is better if I just make it a standalone windows game?

Btw another question...

If I make a complete Data with .exe of my game (Build and Run). Can I put it in another computer which no Unity Engine program and can I still play the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.