• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft 2

So, what will it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Its been told to me that we should separate the Terrain Section between Wc3 and Sc2. And that is why I am making this poll, I want to know what you terrainers want to happen. You may vote and voice your oppinions as well as give other suggestions than the ones mentioned in the poll.

Choices:

1: Have everything stay as it is, allowing both types of terrains with no requirements.
2: Make two separate sections, one for Sc2 and one for Wc3.
3: Have a rule that forces users to add a [Sc2] tag to their thread names. (when posting a Sc2 terrain.)
4: Same as 3, just with the [Wc3] tag for wc3 terrains as well.

This will all have to be discussed with the other mods though, so nothing that happens in this thread is final.

Level 36
The idea with tags is good, but what about galleries? Some artists might be making both Wc3 and Sc2 terrains so they can't tag both. Maybe galleries should have a special or no tag at all. I voted for 4. then (but my second choice is 1.).

I'd say if that were to be the case, then no tags. Or for those that want it can have two galleries.

Level 36
My personal view on the matter is that Tags will be too much of a hassle, and I dont see any problem with having it like it is. Sure people can add "Sc2" or "Wc3" if they want to, but I see no need for it. A terrain is a terrain regardless, wether it is Sc2 or Wc3 it can still be reviewed by either side of terrainers.

Level 19
Just keep it as it is. It's not really hard to see what's Starcraft II and what's Warcraft III, and it doesn't matter either. Why should we show what engine we made our terrains in? Besides, I think it would be confusing to the croud + more unnecessary work for Keiji, if we did it otherwise. :)

Level 36
Just keep it as it is. It's not really hard to see what's Starcraft II and what's Warcraft III, and it doesn't matter either. Why should we show what engine we made our terrains in? Besides, I think it would be confusing to the croud + more unnecessary work for Keiji, if we did it otherwise. :)

Well, apparently it seems the majority isnt agreeing with us :/

Level 24
Remember that Ralle is going to split the site into two sections, one for Warcraft 3 and another for Starcraft 2 later on. So really the terraining forum is going to be split in two anyway, so it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later.

And also all Starcraft 2 content should be contained to the Starcraft 2 section. It'll get to confusing if we start spreading the Starcraft 2 content around the site. All Starcraft 2 content should be kept in the Starcraft 2 forum, and all Warcraft 3 content should be kept to the Warcraft 3 forums.

Level 24
Because we have a Starcraft 2 forum, which was created for anything to do with Starcraft 2. Like I said, theres no point spreading the Starcraft 2 content around the site when we can keep it in one place. It'll keep things nice and simple.

And if we did keep everything in one forum then it'll just cause problems later on, when Ralle does split the site into two sections. If we leave it like it is, all it'll mean is that the forum will be full of both Warcraft and Starcraft terrains when it is split, as opposed to seperating it now when all the Starcraft terrains can easily be managed.

Level 18
since its all terrain art they should remain the same.

althought it would be easier to identify stuff with tags.

Making 2 forums detracts popularity between 2 games, as i will be less lily to visit the SC2 forum while others will begin to ignore the wc3 terrain forum.

tags here is the best idea.

2 or 4, probably 2
what kind of retarded crap is saying that just because its a different engine, they shouldn't be separated? it's like coming in here and posting a crysis picture and saying "SORRY ITS TERRAIN"
a more close comparison, however, is high res/wc3, just simply the graphics. a high res terrain has a much larger chance of just looking good, even if its a horrible terrain. with sc2, its a whole new engine - it's like comparing, say, starcraft and wc3.

keeping everything in the same section is likely to have the effect of improving the looks of sc2 looks extremely and making wc3 look horrible. though people will manage to do that either way

Level 19
2 or 4, probably 2
what kind of retarded crap is saying that just because its a different engine, they shouldn't be separated? it's like coming in here and posting a crysis picture and saying "SORRY ITS TERRAIN"
a more close comparison, however, is high res/wc3, just simply the graphics. a high res terrain has a much larger chance of just looking good, even if its a horrible terrain. with sc2, its a whole new engine - it's like comparing, say, starcraft and wc3.

keeping everything in the same section is likely to have the effect of improving the looks of sc2 looks extremely and making wc3 look horrible. though people will manage to do that either way

If someone did a Crysis terrain and posted it here, it would indeed be a terrain. It just wouldn't be special because Crysis looks so good. And because this is a warcraft III/starcraft II forum it wouldn't be very much likely to happen.

then why keep them in the same section? SC2 looks better than wc3, it'd even work for that sc2 terrains aren't as special any more
now this is the wc3 section of the site - yes, the sc2 is still under construction, but why have the section if you're not going to use it? from the looks and sounds of it, terraining in sc2 is even pretty different from that in wc3

Level 36
For starters, I'm going to say that I am not at all fond of the idea of making two separate forums for Sc2 and Wc3. My belief is that doing so will split the community and make each "forum" less active than what it would be united. Of course I see that there are SERTAIN sections that will have to be plit into two, mainly the resource section.

As for terrain, yes as it is pointed out too many times: Terrain is terrain, no matter. And seeing as you bring up the subject of Crysis, which is a bit far fetched, but anyways. I dont recall there ever beeing a rule in the first place about it HAVING to be Wc3 terrain >.> And to take an example, there was one guy, dont remember who, that posted what he had made in Terragen here some while ago, and NO-ONE attacked him for it not being wc3, or at least made any drama about it.

I am quite much against splitting the terrain forum, and to enforce my reasons: Sc2 and Wc3 is both Blizzard games, the Galaxy Editor and the WE is basically the same only the Galaxy Editor has some more features, and are overally improved, but it should not be kept in the dark that the Galaxy Editor is actually BASED on the WE. And about you being concerned that Sc2 terrains will overshadow Wc3 ones, well, your example of the high res pack is a BRILLIANT example of this. Did the High res pack EVER make the normal Wc3 terrains look any worse? No, because it all has to do with the one MAKING the terrain. I believe that Sc2 and Wc3 terrains alike will look just as great, the only factor diferring them is who is actually making them.

Level 34
I completely agree with Keiji. Terraining is just like modeling and skinning, an art. That's why they belong in the Artist's Disscusion subforum. But of course, no one ever said we have to discuss only Warcraft 3 in there. I've seen plenty of models that are not meant for Wc3 in the "Modeling & Animation" section. I don't think I have to explain anything here really, it's called "Artist's Disscusion", not "Warcraft 3 artist's discussion".
"Artist's Discussion" is for general talk and discussion about different types of art, not just Wc3 related art. If you wish to separate the "Terrain Board" section into "Warcraft 3 Terrain Board" and "Starcraft 2 Terrain Board", do you want to do the same with all the other sections? Also, Terrain Board's description never mentions anything about Wc3, does it?
Need some help with making a terrain? Got an terrain screenshot that you would like to showcase? This is the place for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.