• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cross-Game Single Player Map Contest (WC3/SC1/SC2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21

Single Player Map Contest (IN PLANNING)

Hi everyone! I'm Jayborino, but my friends call me Justin... probably because that's my real name and it would be weird if they called me by an online username. Anyway, you may be familiar with my YouTube channel where I showcase boatloads of single player content across Blizzard's RTS games.

Two other community members, Pr0nogo and DeltronLive, and I are looking to bring about some cross pollination of these communities around our love for some good, ol' fashioned single player content. We are really just looking to gauge interest and participation here at first with something more official coming later if we think enough folks will join in. These are all early ideas as we're looking for feedback at this point and we'll add more of the semantics later.

If you are interested in participating, please let us know here in the thread or by PM, thank you!!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Submissions must be playable in StarCraft 1, StarCraft 2, or Warcraft 3. To be clear, for ONE of these games.
  • Submissions must be single player only. Mission 1 of a possible campaign, a stand alone scenario map, or Arcade-y type maps which could include virtually any style of gameplay.
  • Submissions must be new maps started at the time of the contest.
  • Submissions must include instructions for how to play, whether it be in offline mode for StarCraft 2, on Battle.net, through the custom campaign interface of WC3, etc.
  • One submission per person/team.
  • This is still in brainstorming phases, we're looking for any feedback that could make this appeal to more contributors. We want the barrier of entry to be fairly low. See judging section below for answers to inevitable questions of imbalanced cross-game judging.

prizes.png

• Depending on # of submissions per game, we may have a winner per game, then an overall winner of those three
    • Prizes may depend on which game the winning map is for or perhaps just winner's choice. Please leave feedback on what below may incentivize you to participate.
    • Bragging rights; the thrill of winning; good exposure to my viewerbase; SC: Remastered key/s, SC2 co-op and/or collectibles DLC; WoW expansion or time card; StarCraft Risk Board Game; attention from your friendly, neighborhood senpai Jayborino

judges.png

• Jayborino
  • DeltronLive
  • Pr0nogo (unless maybe he submits)
  • YouTube viewer polls

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• Deltron and I have extensive content on our channels and our experience hopefully instills some level of trust when we say that fun factor really is #1 in terms of possible judging. I play each of these games and do not really prefer one over the other. We understand that, for example, the SC2 Galaxy Editor opens the door for many more possibilities, but can also be much more time consuming, so there are many balancing factors that we're very aware of.
  • We'll nail the judging criteria down in stone if this becomes official and are looking for feedback to again make this as appealing to creators as possible to participate.

Related SC2Mapster thread: Cross-Game Single Player Map Contest (WC3/SC1/SC2) - General Chat - General - SC2 Mapster Forums - SC2Mapster

Last edited:
Level 26
attention from your friendly, neighborhood senpai Jayborino
That's all I ever wanted.

Hey, this sounds really nice!
I think we should focus on on one game if we run this contest. I'd say narrow it down to wc3, as it is the game that is most popular on this site.
I like the idea of having a YouTube viewer poll, but I have some doubts I can't pinpoint. How would the poll work exactly?
Are there no other limits beside single player? This is not neccesarily bad, just asking. :)

We have another mapping contest about to be started: Mini-Mapping Contest #14 - Theme Poll
The submissions for that contest doesn't have to be single player though.

Having two contests running at the same time is not very good, as they will steal focus from each other. However, this will be considered a special contest, since you have set the "theme" (singleplayer) in advance, and offered special exclusive awards, (youtube coverage).

@Heinvers What do you think?

I think we should focus on on one game if we run this contest. I'd say narrow it down to wc3, as it is the game that is most popular on this site.
I like the idea of having a YouTube viewer poll, but I have some doubts I can't pinpoint. How would the poll work exactly?

I think that we can make something along these lines: 2 weeks for wc3 maps, 2 weeks for sc1 and 2 weeks for sc2. That way, we can focus on each in their allotted time. @Rufus ?

However, this will be considered a special contest, since you have set the "theme" (singleplayer) in advance, and offered special exclusive awards, (youtube coverage).

Yeah, I think this suits better in the 'Special' type of contests. But even so, timing is essential so that it doesn't overlap too much with the upcoming mapping contest.

As for the YT polls part, I don't really find the YT comments section reliable enough to trust its votes. If it were my idea, I'd rather ditch the poll and just go with you guys judging it.
Polls usually are redundant in 'Special' contests. It's best to just keep the judges relevant and make the polls weight less.

As for formatting, do not worry. I am sure that in the end @Rufus will clean it up as you get the feedback.
Good luck Jay :]

Level 6
Really appreciate you guys replying so quickly! Thanks for the clarifications.

I don't see the concern with running it for all games simultaneously. Each game is given the same amount of time from the start date. With Heinvers' suggestion, if people know the sc1 or 2 timeframes are starting, they can simply start 'early' and it'd be hard to know if they did or didn't. I imagine the focus would naturally shift towards wc3 on this site, but the contest being open to all 3 titles is what makes it particularly unique, imo.

I'm sure the other guys have their own two cents so I won't speak for them. Thanks again for replying!

Level 6
why single player only? thats such a small niche aspect of wc3 when most people prefer playing with friends

Level 6
We're all new to running contests, and singleplayer maps are generally easier to judge and to produce, making the contest more feasible if it does in fact get off the ground. There's nothing stopping us from running a multiplayer contest in the future, assuming the turnout is there, so if this one isn't for you, just sit tight and maybe we'll have something for you in the future!

Level 21
I have a community that follows me exclusively for single player content that I showcase, so we are hosting a single player contest.

Regarding conflicting with any other contests, we're currently pretty flexible - this was mostly to gauge interest at this point. We also weren't clear on how the official contests at Hive work as this hopefully will be functioning across all three games.

My current idea for YT voting would be to leave a pinned 'Voting' comment on each video and folks would thumbs up there for a tallied vote OR I would have to encourage folks to leave a comment saying they voted for that specific map. Ultimately, it's a bit janky, but not much different than Blizzard accepting community votes for RTC.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
A possibility to showcase a mission that is part of a campaign that is going to be released
in the very distant future?
Sounds intriguing!
So much Arkain potential...

My suggestion would be to seperate those games, voting-wise.
Since your channel is more StarCraft than WarCraft focused, there would be the high possibility
that the StarCraft maps have higher chances for the polls than WarCraft ones.
Same goes for Deltron's channel.

Level 6
My suggestion would be to seperate those games, voting-wise.

I think this is a good idea, but it also depends on the amount of submissions we receive for the contest. Definitely something we will keep in mind and if turnout is good, it's likely we'll implement this when the time comes.

It's not so distant, either. Currently we're thinking of hosting the contest across 2-3 months, starting soon after the launch of SC Remastered.

Level 12
I'm definitely interested in doing this sort of thing. I haven't really seen a lot of contests revolving around single-player content, which is basically all I do in modding, so I've never found anything to participate in. I'd be totally down to participate in any capacity - as a contestant or, if I can't scrape together any good new ideas by the time this gets started (I think I already complained about that elsewhere), as whatever else you need.

I do think it would be cool to have this be a cross-game contest, but having the judging be separate for the different games might be a good idea because you'll get different audiences for different games. I'd probably stick to WarCraft III stuff myself (as much as I'd love to finally get a StarCraft project off the ground), but I'd be excited to see what others would do with the other games.

We'll nail the judging criteria down in stone if this becomes official and are looking for feedback to again make this as appealing to creators as possible to participate.
I think that you should at least post a rough layout of the judging criteria for each category. Leaving people hanging like this is not good at all and makes them unconvinced.

@Rufus

Status
Not open for further replies.