• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 contests?

Read the first post!

• No SC2 contests (keep it as it is)

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

Votes: 197 44.6%
  • Do an even mixture of both

Votes: 136 30.8%
  • Do more SC2 contests and only a few WC3 ones

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • SC2 contests only

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Undecided / don't care / other

Votes: 27 6.1%

• Total voters
Level 9
At the moment all we hold is WC3 contests, with the occasional non-game related one (such as concept art contests). How would you guys feel about us hosting some SC2 terraining/modeling/texturing/etc contests?

Points to consider:
- Compared to the number of people who have WC3, the number who have SC2 is smaller
- Fewer people have made any resources for it (but contests might encourage them to learn how to)
- Fewer SC2 owners means fewer judges
- Better game engine means more detailed models and more textures (bump, specular, emissive)
- ????

Opinions please!

Level 25
- Compared to the number of people who have WC3, the number who have SC2 is smaller

Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

I would say, with those two points in mind, this is the best option.
Then, if the interest in SC2 contests grows, you can begin more contests for SC2.

Level 9
I think you should make more from WC3, for now. Give some time to people master their skills with the SC2 tools, and wait for updates. Then, after some time, make a poll like this again.
That's my opinion though, I don't know what others think.

Level 12
I think you should do even (and keep it even for a long long time). With enough support, this should be the final step for making sc2 section of hive finally 100% functional, with everything wc3 got: all variations of maps, models, textures, tutorials, etc. With fewer contests, this process will take more time... I think there already are enough people to contest. Maybe they're just waiting for a opportunity or a influence.

Level 7
Hmm, I pick'd "Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3" because a lot of people on the Hive do not have SC2. And that's a great way to make the editor be a little more friendly to the people, and so We'll start learnin' it. But yeah, The models and textures should be watched-after as well, can't wait to see some HQ models for a difference.

Level 6
Well my opinion would be to make some starcraft 2 contests, but because it is allready popular, more WC3 contests should keep he popularity...let's say even(because starcraft 2 is allready popular, and wc3 loses his touch(but what is keeping wc3 alive is the most epic story - that prepared the ground for WoW - And the WoW lore could not be possible without his(or their) predecesors). So make contests for starcraft 2, but we also want to keep warcraft 3 alive

Level 12
I chose some SC2 contests, mostly WC3.

Definitely shouldn't shun the SC2 users, but it definitely should be mostly wc3 still.

Perhaps later on in time, as SC2 gains a larger, experienced userbase, then move up to an even amount of contests, but definitely never outdo wc3.

That is my opinion. And I'm only a little biased as I don't have SC2, nor do I plan on getting it. :)

Level 30
I think people who show initiative to host a sc2 contest should get equal opportunities as the wc3 ones. Sc2 contests shouldn't, however, be hosted just for the sake of being hosted. First there needs to be a demand for such contests.
Good contests with many entrants and a nice and solid theme stimulate activity here, though.

Level 35
Vote+Communist.jpg

Level 10
This is a w3 site that has decided to, in the least, acknowledge that sc2 exists.

Considering that Ralle is trying to get a nice a spiffy section just for sc2, one would assume that things of the contest nature would naturally follow suit.

Taking that into account, it would probably be better to run a practice contest or two, and see if anyone is actually interested.

If the contestant pool is too small, wait some time and try again.

I am sure that when this site started out there were not nearly as many wc3 contests as there are now.

Level 8
I picked "Do an even mixture of both" because in my opinion, seeing it as SC2 requires more skills in order to make maps then WC3, I believe that more people who are tired of the "easy map making" of WC3 and want something more challenging, which is the SC2 editor, which also makes you able to do more things, would rather join a SC2 contest. Therefore I think more Pro map-makers will join the SC2 contest, and that the count of maps submitted should be around those of WC3 maps submitted for contests, but, as mentioned, since the number of SC2 owners are fewer, it might be a bit less.

Level 8
Points to consider:

I would say, with those two points in mind, this is the best option.
Then, if the interest in SC2 contests grows, you can begin more contests for SC2.

^that.
Why focus on SC2 contests/equal mixure of contests; when there aren't that much people who play SC2. compared to wc3 that is.

Also when i joined on this site, i thought it was purely for Wc3.
I could have been wrong in that of course, but if I understood it right,
I think there should be more Focus on Wc3 than SC2 and maybe never an equal mixture of contests.

Level 33
I have nothing to hold against this activity
As it can increase more and more experience modder on Hiveworkshop
So we don't 100% focus on Warcraft III, but as well, Starcraft II =D
More power to the Hive !
Work like a bee !

Level 25
I picked "Do an even mixture of both" because in my opinion, seeing it as SC2 requires more skills in order to make maps then WC3, I believe that more people who are tired of the "easy map making" of WC3 and want something more challenging, which is the SC2 editor, which also makes you able to do more things, would rather join a SC2 contest. Therefore I think more Pro map-makers will join the SC2 contest, and that the count of maps submitted should be around those of WC3 maps submitted for contests, but, as mentioned, since the number of SC2 owners are fewer, it might be a bit less.

Or it is just a matter of taste, creating maps in wc3 or SC2, not "pro-ness"?

Level 12
I already know a few people have switched exclusively to making maps on SC2. I'm sure those people, if they are the type to enter contests, would be interested in SC2 contests.

I think the big thing here is to consider those who are actually interested in doing contests. I, for one, am not interested in mapping contests, modelling contests, etc. Just solo writing contests. I just want to make maps because I can. Doing contests isn't really too fun for me. :)

Level 22
I would love to see more SC2 contests although as the points mentioned, many don't have it including me. Though as coding in SC2 is a lot like C what I've heard so I think I'll buy it in the near future.

But as said, it would really bring up the SC2 on topic. But you should might condsider having somewhat links to SC2 among the links to WC3 (Spells, Tools JASS etc.) as it now is only a sub site but this maybe belongs to the site discussion.

Level 8
Or it is just a matter of taste, creating maps in wc3 or SC2, not "pro-ness"?

If you have tried out the SC2 editor, you can see that is requires much more things in order to work, but you can do many more things than in WC3's editor.
And as I said, it is in my opinion, other people might think the SC2 editor is easier than the WC3 one aswell.

Level 25
Laserdude, that was not what I meant. The relevance in my post was that the people who use GE/WE isn't dependant on which editor is the hardest to use, but what they prefer.
Yes, I know GE is more complicated and advanced, but that has nearly nothing to do with the ones using it. For instance, just because some people think JASS is more awesome than GUI doesn't make it the right method to use. It is all a matter of taste.
With that said; this is drifting off-topic so I won't post anything more about this matter.

--------------
After some thinking I can't really even understand why we are having a poll about this to be honest. The answer is simple. Try host some contests, see if there is any interest from users and any possible judges available, if it is not, leave it be. Then host new contests after a while and see how it turns out.
As Tagg1080 more or less stated with his post.

Level 8
Laserdude, that was not what I meant. The relevance in my post was that the people who use GE/WE isn't dependant on which editor is the hardest to use, but what they prefer.
Yes, I know GE is more complicated and advanced, but that has nearly nothing to do with the ones using it. For instance, just because some people think JASS is more awesome than GUI doesn't make it the right method to use. It is all a matter of taste.
With that said; this is drifting off-topic so I won't post anything more about this matter.

The exact same thing as I meant, but maybe you did not understand.
I consider this conversation concluded, if you wish to comtinue, send me a PM.

Level 9
I believe that we should do more SC2 and fewer WC3 because WC3 is almost deaad, the only thing really keeping it alive is DotA, and HoN is taking that away too

Level 9
Someones quite delusional. WC3 is far from dead. And there aren't that many Dotaplayers turning their back on wc3/dota for HoN.

Nahhh i mean its not dead but alot of people stopped playing it, and im not fursure how many people play HoN because i dont play it myself but its takin a fair amount of players from DotA

Level 8
Someones quite delusional. WC3 is far from dead. And there aren't that many Dotaplayers turning their back on wc3/dota for HoN.

Seconded,

also on garena (a private server of sorts) has 200000+ players ATM. all playing wc3. dying out? wc3? you're joking? RIGHT?
and remember, thats a private server. lol.

anyhow, offtopic.

Level 9
Seconded,

also on garena (a private server of sorts) has 200000+ players ATM. all playing wc3. dying out? wc3? you're joking? RIGHT?
and remember, thats a private server. lol.

anyhow, offtopic.

Lol where did you even get that number from xDD

Level 9
from garena. 2 minutes ago ^__^, oh and btw, that was the amount of ppl ONLINE at that/this moment. there's more. obviously. ^__^

Ok, well garena is like litterally all DotA, so like i said no DotA = almost no one playing WC3, im not saying it will be dead, but ALOT of people wouldnt play it.

Level 16
Well i guess since SC2 is a 'new age' game and War3 is..well u know what wc3 is. So what I'm trying to say is that the rating criteria should not be the same, maybe do a FEW SC2 contests while using a whole new system of judging and stuff BUT when judging for a war3 contest lower the judging criteria.. but this seems kinda stupid and worthless of saying so I'll put it all together:
-No same moderators/judges for both games.. dunno if it makes any sense :S..

Level 8
Keep the WC3 contests as they are, but do try to make a few SC2 contests. See how it works, if anyone would participate in them etc.

'sup troll xD

also, if ppl would participate in them... but there aren't alot/there are a lot.
what then ;3?

Level 3
I say have both, but start the SC2 contests slow. I personally have it and could judge some contests, but I wouldn't enter them due to my lack of editor skills.

Only problem I see with it is that very few if any people really know what they are doing in the SC2 editor and that custom models/skins wouldn't really be much of an appropriate contest as the SC2 editor comes with a plethora of base units. Not to mention the ones that will most likely appear in the following 2 SC2 expansions (When they are released.)