• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Round Table of Arkain

Level 9
That reminds me Shar, of something ive been thinking about the last couple weeks. I'm assuming all 6 books, with all their chapters and more added ones that you were planning on, will be in one campaign file. I remember from editing blizzards campaigns a couple years ago, if the file is too big, it just flat out won't open. I also seem to remember a patch increasing map file size limits, so my question might be moot

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
no offense
iu

Level 19
Then (because i dont know how to place spoiler tags) i´ll start with the first 3:
Where Angels Cry: A deep explanation about the Saint Loraine, what happened to her after the undead take her to the death mountain. Its a pity she had that fate, she was a really nice imperial, siding with golden guard but wanting to help their family´s continent. Rahandir saved her family in the past, is saving them right now fighting the demons, that´s what saint understood before he left, he didnt became a monster, he became a protector of arkain. Even after his dead, no one can match the might of Rahandir DrakeSkull.

Responsibilities: Truly loved this one. Saphira´s thought about her race, about the twins, about her former friend Salana. Her new purpose is to raise those childs, to heal her friend. The undead will need them in the future but that´s not something Saphira thinks, She just want to help his race, She found a purpose no one gave to her, that´s what truly matters in the end. Also both Rahandir and Saphira will raise the twins, they truly are the best couple of arkain.

Old Hatred: Final battle between Ornasion and Hesrathion. But the main issue is his conversation with Lisara. Ornasion´s right, Lisara made this happens, she betrayed the Bloodrinker Legion, she killed ornasion, she´ll kill kersidar, she made Ornasion banish Lisara. Despite fighting for his race, she made too many mistakes that lead to this moment.
At the end she felt regret about Lisara, about the thing she have made to save her race from extintion, but its too late now. Too late.

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

Got some thoughts and questions after watching the epilogue.

Okay, so Largoth roasting Aridon was savage. Was the whole "failed vision" part a throwback to the first books? Because the way you put it in the dialogue made me believe you were making fun of your own design choices back then, Shar. Like having 3 separate campaigns with overlapping timelines and having each faction succeed in their own way. I feel like its one of the biggest differences between the first and the second books. The second books have a much more consistent story, being split parts of a united pattern. First books = Aridon having a stroke? ;)

This one is more gameplay oriented. In retrospect, what do you think of your race mechanics? I felt like at the end of they day only the leadership boni was fleshed out and fully operational. Orc and undead race mechanics where pretty much the same (considering the length of the undead book I might be wrong though). I for one think you could use a faction system, given how many protagonists we've had throughout the ages of Arkain experience.

Jayborino, or anyone else actually. Please, could you upload the "Behind the scenes" on ytube? Dont have the opportunity to watch it myself ;(

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@Shar Dundred
YOU MAD MAN, YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN, I SAID ADD SELIOR AS A HEADLESS HORSEMAN UNDEAD AS A JOKE BUT YOU ACTUALLY DID IT, I LOVE YOU MAN, THIS GAVE ME SUCH A BIG SMILE
I already smiled when you made your post because this had been planned since the Second Orc Book. :p
Hey Shar! :) In the true story of Arkain, will player choice still be a thing? If so, will choices affect major parts of the story, or just minor things? (That's the thing I loved the most in your campaigns, the ability to shape the story in some fashion.)
I do not wish to entirely remove player choice though some choices will have to be removed (like
the choice who becomes queen of the Elves to give a little spoiler though not really if you read the
short stories in the Tales of Arkain thread).

Level 19
Okey, 3 more to go:
Fallen Queen: A bit of insight about Queen Keera, we never get to play as her but we know that he raised the golden guard legions to get control of the forest, later stopped because a change of plans. About the story, he truly feel bad about what she did on the past, she killed rahandir, she made everything possible to save his kingdom (instead of training soldiers and learning war tactics) but now she fell regret. She take the part of the forest that was destroyed during the second void war as their home, both for her and his soldiers. She just wants to be forgiven by his people, to talk to her daughter again, but bryan took her shadow so she cant do it anymore.

King of Ashes: The nerubian war, that´s it. A bit more information about how Haran try to defeat Aridon´s nexus, about how their race lost all their former-self trying to defeat the slaver nexus, they really became what were trying to destroy. At the end they were just another faction, trying to use any means of magic to defeat their foes. Now Haran-tel-Kazor rules with and iron fist, with no mercy to his race, so he wont doubt about slaving more of his people just to achieve Aridon´s will.

Twisted Justice: First story about Sir Edoarus. We still dont know anything about the Plague of Rengar, because this story takes places years after the Second Void War. Aridon left to think and all of his minions start taking duties of his own. Edoarus wants to end the bonelords task, he´ll raise and army with the people of Rengar, anyone would suffice and use them to attack Salria, maybe with the help of the Bonelords. He´ll use any people that breaks the law, because everyone do it at the end. He is main issue could be both Harmos and Gardon in the future, instead of the Orcs and his allies.

Level 20
I do not wish to entirely remove player choice though some choices will have to be removed (like
the choice who becomes queen of the Elves to give a little spoiler though not really if you read the
short stories in the Tales of Arkain thread).
I know, Queen Larine was my prefered choice anyway. (Much more intresting in my opinion) :) It is good to hear that there will be SOME choices at least. :D Your story is what got me back into Warcraft 3! You inspired me to start my own fantasy book! I wish you all the best, Master of Arkain!

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Sorry, I missed your post @LickMyEyeBall.
Was the whole "failed vision" part a throwback to the first books?
Actually not, no.
In retrospect, what do you think of your race mechanics?
I agree that the leadership boni race mechanic was the best fleshed out which is also because
the other two suffered from technical issues with the engine.
I intend to further empathise on this mechanic, yes. I already have a few ideas.
Also both Rahandir and Saphira will raise the twins, they truly are the best couple of arkain.
Wait until Gardon & Vail hear about that one!
She just wants to be forgiven by his people, to talk to her daughter again, but bryan took her shadow so she cant do it anymore.
Keera did mess up a lot, yeah, she regrets it but... Well, she and her child are both dead now.
I know, Queen Larine was my prefered choice anyway. (Much more intresting in my opinion) :) It is good to hear that there will be SOME choices at least. :D Your story is what got me back into Warcraft 3! You inspired me to start my own fantasy book! I wish you all the best, Master of Arkain!
Thank you & the same to you!

Edit:
Added the famous character poll to the Second Undead Book map thread btw.

Last edited:

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

Is there a way to revert the second books to legacy hotkeys? I intend to make a full run of all books on hard difficulty and im struggling with qwer layout.

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to overcome my muscle memory.

But I cant be upset about it, I'm most certainly in the minority here. Although I have to admit, while I see how qwer works well for units ( since most of them rarely have more than 4 abilities), using it for buildings is a plain torture.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But I cant be upset about it, I'm most certainly in the minority here. Although I have to admit, while I see how qwer works well for units ( since most of them rarely have more than 4 abilities), using it for buildings is a plain torture.
I usually fast move-click the mouse :D but you get used to it if you practice a little, with the QWER, ASDF, ZXCV stuff I mean.

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

I usually fast move-click the mouse :D but you get used to it if you practice a little, with the QWER, ASDF, ZXCV stuff I mean.
Yeah, you're right. I had the same issue while playing dota. Old habits die hard. Im just lazy to move out of my comfort zone :D

With Arkain in mind, im the type of player who spams casters and thank our lord and savior Shar, we've got a lot of them, and thus a lot of buttons to press :)

Level 19
she and her child are both dead now.

She is undead, her child is completely dead yes.

I´ve never wrote my opinion on the last 3 undead short stories so there you go:

Mistress and slave: Rise and fall of Quiraness, how she reached her position as Mistress of the Sisterhood. Despite being a manipulative dark elf, she never take a single dose of Black Lotus. Never wanted to destroy her brain cells, her intelligence with such pityful drug. That was her downfall, at the end she became so boastful that spoke too much, and the very same drug she tried to avoid destroy her mind and ambitions.

Last Laugh: A story about Krom's race downfall. How he was a priest that prayed to the gods, how the bonelords and himself rebelled and were killed. Raise by Aridon and rewarded with a inmortal Life, having endless time to defend her home from external threaths. The oldest servant of Aridon, even older than Aridon himself, now left without purpose, without hunts, targets, enemies. Looking for a place in this world like many others.

Eternal Beauty: Point of view of Lady Meya, leader of all necromancer cults before the second void War. Before joining Gardon's ranks, the necromancers were outcast and exiles because of their dark magic. However they took a place in society thanks to Gardon's War efforts.

About the story, It clearly Talk about how truly gorgeus was Lady Meya in life, how both men and woman became shy while she was on the room, not many try to Talk directly to her because of this.
At the end, any betrayal attemps end of failure, both being eaten alive or joining the Rohir Nexus ranks as spies.
Maybe the Grave Wanders that Gardon's owns are also controlled by Lady Meya.

Overral Puntuation.

Where Angels Cry. 5/5

Responsabilities. 5/5

Old Hatred. 4-5

Fallen Queen. 3-5

King of Ashes. 4-5

Twisted Justice. 3-5

Mistress and Slave. 5-5

Last Laugh. 4-5

Eternal Beauty. 3-5

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Arkain Question Time is basically an "event" where people send me PMs with as many Arkain-related
questions as they like. I would then, after gathering questions for a few days, release this "Arkain FAQ"
with as many questions and answers as possible - usually also giving some spoilers when appliable,
though careful not to go too far there.

LickMyEyeBall

L

LickMyEyeBall

Finished replaying the first books on hard yesterday. I have to say I wasmt expecting a change of heart, but previously I ranked them FHB > FUB > FOB.
However now I'd say I rate the orc book 5/5 and it is definitely the best of the first trilogy. Consistent writing, great gameplay and interesting characters. FHB is slightly worse and honestly the undead book pales in comparison.

Yet im here for a different reason. I've got a question. What was the idea behind undead Vanessa? Was she going to play a major role? Although I assume this could be spoiler heavy, but considering you've mentioned yourself that the idea is pretty much scrapped due to True Story and with the SUB being what it is and having a different focus overall I dare to assume there's no harm in unfolding that mystery.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
One of the ideas behind "undead Vanessa" was to show that without the player, the Orcs would
not have been able to save her. It was considered for a short moment to have her infiltrate
the Orcs but that was scrapped pretty soon, before undead Vanessa was even put into the script.
In addition, she would have served as someone who "knew the Orcs" and therefore would have
helped Aridon in fighting them due to her knowledge. She would have featured in several missions
in the Second Undead Book about the Undead invading Salria to destroy the Orcs.

Level 9
One of the ideas behind "undead Vanessa" was to show that without the player, the Orcs would
not have been able to save her. It was considered for a short moment to have her infiltrate
the Orcs but that was scrapped pretty soon, before undead Vanessa was even put into the script.
In addition, she would have served as someone who "knew the Orcs" and therefore would have
helped Aridon in fighting them due to her knowledge. She would have featured in several missions
in the Second Undead Book about the Undead invading Salria to destroy the Orcs.
That begs a similar question, though this one might be a spoiler for the True Story. What was gonna happen with Salana? In the SHB, if you choose Larine, she attacks Salana, and Rahandir and I believe Ornassion find her and take her. Were they going to kill her and raise her as a dark ranger like Saphira?

Level 29
Another Arkain Question Time has begun - and some other news can be found in the Arkain News Network!

Alrighty, then I already have a few questions

Is anyone in the Empire aware of their Emperor's true identity?

Was the Empire founded by Tregakh or did he murder the Emperor and took his identity?

Will we see more of Orie Redfist in The True Story of Arkain?

How did "Brian" meet Amari and chose her to be his student?

Who is responsible for the Cave Orcs' survival and them eventually worshipping Aridon?

What is the relationship between Keera and Rahandir considering that the former was killed by the later?

Did any of Bhaarizel's original shadowy creatures survive after Zindrach's death?

Has Largoth always been Tregakh, or did he became the host to the Dark One?

Who is telling the truth, Aridon or Tregakh? Or are they partially right?

Will we see the Mindflayer Legion in action in The True Story of Arkain?

Level 19
Should we PM Shar or just post them here?
Anyway i´ll post them here.

Who cleaned the Gnoll temple?

Are we going to see more about Zindrach?

Which faction leads the Cold North tower?

Did Cora really get corrupted to Aridon?

The new races on the Tribal Dominion, have representative or they are a submited to Amari´s Empire?

Aridon went into Seclusion, Who is the new leader of the undead for the time being?

Is Van Durce Daughter going to Arkain to take revenge on Gardon?

Despite Fire and Lightining Orders, are there any other mage orders in arkain?

Who cast the Plague on Rengar´s kingdom?

What happens to Lord Margazar and Urshan after the Second void war?

Did the Ejara Nexus enslave more races than the Nerubians?

Are we going to see more of Prince Toraes?

Did Merlon have any other relatives?

Level 16
Finished all undead stories and couldn't help but delighted by possibilities. Thoughts:
1. Where Angels Cry
A very nice touch where such minor character, Saint Lorraine, actually portrays Rahandir's character accurately. Wonder if we will be able to see mission where human Rahandir and his forces fight against Demons (as a flashback). Kinda had sympathy for our fav dry & cold lich. Also, after reading undead nexus sheet, I had this thought (correct me if I'm wrong): In Splecir Nexus, it's said that most powerful servants of Aridon are SL's along with ETHEREALS. So, those 'ethereals' are possibly made from slain angelics? (considering in SUB we were gonna have more missions). Cuz the description along with alluded fate of saint fits the probability.
2. Responsibilities
Our Saphira is perfect mama now and Salana's role is gonna be interesting. I wonder if she will protest against fighting alongside cousin dark elves if future war happens in elven kingdom. Guess Keera have perfect living lieutenant now:grin: .
3. Old Hatred
Hesrathion... that would explain why Souleater legion was so easily defeated in SOB and SHB. The showdown between Kezzar nexus vs Souleater would be epic. Ornasion, brutal as he is, seems to be a rather closeted softie. He still thinks about Lisara and wonder if they will encounter each other in the true story (it would be nice if they are united in... undeath). Ebira's appearance is timely and wonder how she would look like as undead (a slit-mouthed succubus mbe?). So, the fight happens in Castle of Kome or smth else? Can't wait to play as Ornasion more to just to hack apart more demons. :ogre_hurrhurr:
4. Fallen Queen
Well, papa redfist was the best father. What about the best mother? Can Keera herself be a winner? At least she can be a good grandma to elven twins (considering she contacts Saphira). She and Brian can have... dispute over Renova's soul at least.
5. Last Laugh
The servant older than its master? What a delicious irony. Wonder how Krom and Bonelords looked as Arkanians. Wonder if there is the possibility of such flashback. Liked him since FUB.
6. Twisted Justice
The plague in Rengar would be an interesting conflict to see. Playing as a brutal executioner would be delightful and... twisted experience.
7. Eternal Beauty
No wonder why nightmare lady is regarded as a beauty. So, slit mouth can be seductive, huh? Meya's influence exceeds beyond what we expected. Why can't she try to seduce Gardon instead of doing work though necromancer cults? Gardon has human and elven lovers, and mbe, also orc (pretty damn intriguing harem he has). How about undead one? hmmm...
8. Mistress and Slave
When creating dark elves, did Aridon have... feministic mindset? So, society ruled by females can be just as destructive as the one ruled by males. Poor men. Even Quiraness herself was prejudiced. How does black lotus taste like? It must be really tasty enough to be addicted. Really wanna see Pentiss meeting Amari, both peerless reformists.
9. King of Ashes
So, ejara nexus has living queens? Guess it's the most numerous nexus along with mbe scarec nexus. Unleashing the entire swarm would be the best strategy.
The Legends of Arkain had been very inspiring and good luck on True Story. :peasant-grin:

Level 19
In Splecir Nexus, it's said that most powerful servants of Aridon are SL's along with ETHEREALS. So, those 'ethereals' are possibly made from slain angelics? (considering in SUB we were gonna have more missions). Cuz the description along with alluded fate of saint fits the probability.

The Ethereals are the Spirit Leggionare units (and maybe more we didnt get to see), Maybe Saint Loraine became a Ethereal after the Short story, it could fit.

So, ejara nexus has living queens? Guess it's the most numerous nexus along with mbe scarec nexus.

Reproduction, They need living queens to breed more nerubians.

Hesrathion... that would explain why Souleater legion was so easily defeated in SOB and SHB.

Yep, the demons lost every single front that wasnt lead by Kersidar.

Level 10
@Shar Dundred , have you ever considered using night elf buildings as some neutral hostile monsters for example? They would fit the corrupted Pearl of Lor nicely! With all the madness and powerful alien magic being thrown around like nothin´s happenin, its not hard to picture something like that happening :D

Level 4
Thank you for answering Shar, snarl! I hope I can buy some Arkain industries dog food (trademark, copyright, patent pending) near one of my stores soon.

@Shar Dundred also have you considered reworking the orc clans in the true story similar to how you are reworking the different human regiments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Maybe it's cause the dominion and orcs are my favorite faction but I would really love to see more upgrades for their first books thus far with the regiments and the new system the true story seems to be really upgrading the humans (with the regiments and the new mechanic where you can choose one), so having the orc clans actually be different with new models would make a nice addition