1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Workshop

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Lord_Marrowgrath, May 30, 2019.

1. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, keep money away from website like this.

Custom creators should find driving force to create resources in goals such as improving themselves and their skills, be it coding, modeling or other, not in money.

Also userbase is limited. I doubt it will increase when reforged comes, simply because there will be probably more organized and polished websites than this one to download resources from. At least they won't have tens of thousands of resources you can't even navigate through to find quality stuff. Also if THW cared to be competitive against those websites, they would not wait for reforged to come out to sort website out, at least if they learned anything from SC2 section attempt from years ago.

2. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We are working on Hive 2.5 ;) with loads of improvements, such as new improved resource sections, better search function, new forum theme style etc.

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Will we stick to XenForo just with a different theme or are we going over to a completely different forum software?

4. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't think monetization will have the effect you're hoping for.

As a start, truly monetizing assets will require a centralized authority which will accept assets, filter and grade them, accept user transaction and all related problems - i.e. it will default to blizzard doing it. So this will a) limit the creators' freedom, because what you can do out here you can't do under the scrutiny of a company as large as blizzard, b) require map protection, so no more downloading a map and seeing how they did some trigger.

Second, I don't think this will increase the amount of content, perhaps the opposite. Once money is on the table, most will go to a lower common denominator to sell their stuff to a larger crowd. For example: why would a modeller in his right mind toil to create a completely original model, when they can simply create a new skimpy model for [insert female hero name]? Things like the request thread here would be gone as well. Why do something for free when you can commission the simple edits you make for money, and why would you pay for simple edits?
    The community, in this site at least, relies a lot on trust and mutual assistance, and I think inserting money to the equation will detract a lot of that community sense.

(Good) custom maps can't be buying restricted. I don't know about you, but as much as I download maps from the resource section, I download no less from the development thread. Modders need a shout box to showcase, get feedback, and hone their maps. Restrict that with payment and no one will play/playtest your map. On the other hands making a map free to download will make sure no one buys the finished product. After all, they can get the "almost" finished one for free.

Lastly, I don't think it will have a large enough market for someone to make money off of it, except maybe blizzard if the take a cut of all transactions. I'm not aware of a larger WC3 modding community then this site, and it has a total of 90k users, including users not active in the last 10 years or more. Add to that Grubby's whole viewing that's about 25-40k more. That's not enough buying power.

In short, it might get momentary gain for blizzard, but I can't see how the community or the individual modder gaining anything from it.

5. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Heh, Bethesda did this "paid mods" you're talking (twice infact), it received a serious backlash. If this happens to Warcraft III the same thing will happen.

I am a hundred percent against paid mods, same thing to microtransactions.

However I am not against web-ads that doesn't interrupt the user experience (no pop-ups or huge ads, banners are fine, like Nexusmods), maybe an option for the uploader to add advertisements to the page where the uploader attached his resources and then the give the ad-revenue to the uploader and the site (Hiveworkshop), maybe this will work.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Except for donations :p
    Too little which won't be worth it but actually complicated. They'll go for official microtransactions instead, safer and much more efficient.

7. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Paid mods is a crime against nature.

8. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If something Blizzard lost their ability to engage with modders as SC2 shows, up to HOTS and early Void the number of campaigns and models were on the lower end, compared with a similar number of years in WC3, and WC3 has to live with peak WoW.

Any real monetary experiment will need Blizzard aproval and control, and given the last two years, i'm don't need a crystal ball to see this ending bad for the community.

9. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    It does not have to be extremism.

I did not do searchs about community with paid mods. But making a game depending will give a lot more work, money, staff, etc than a paid mod.
    The mod paid, could have depending more chance of content of better quality, since it could outsource (commissions, etc) some things like for example 3D models, etc.
    It would be a middle ground, since it would not have autonomy of an independent game but in return would have access to the resources of the host game, less work, etc.

The Dota 2, has most of the resources of modding I think are free as for examples tutorials, tools, frameworks, etc.
    But the Hive Workshop when compared to Moddota, this last one is small although it contributes a lot with Dota 2 modding.
    I believe the arts contributions of Dota 2 directly to its modding, is very small, the whole is much smaller than the Hive site. I'm even surprised at how many 3D models, icons, etc have on Hive.

Although, cosmetic items are increasingly contributing to the Dota 2 modding, they should not be considered. Because I think goals of this is for Dota 2 game (Heroes, Couriers, Wards, etc.), and not directly to Dota 2 modding.

Element TD, Dota Auto Chess and Roshpit Champions have Battle Pass, I think the money comes from these should help the developers costs and I believe they undo of this without protesting with these incomes.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know. I think @Zwiebelchen could tell you more since he made one or two contests in which content for his mod was to be created and the reward was real money.