• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{OLD} Wc3:WoW Discussion

What should the Wc3:WoW Team focus on most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
The upcoming one should feature:

• New spells for Priest and Warrior (Possibly Rogue as well)
  • Movement system fixed.

Two things. But there may be more stuff as time passes by. Pretty soon, I'll be starting to terrain Stormwind, and that means we're getting closer to enabling Humans. But I still have a ton of work to do on Elwyn Forest first since that's where all the more important stuff (At the project's state now at least) is. Once I start completing more and more parts of the terrain, I'll keep you all updated. Orgrimmar is looking nice and those screenshots are really helping, I'll be needing more screenshots of the 'valley of honor' I think it is called. (The area where hunter trainer is; Mount seller/trainer; those anvil guys and stuff in the back there; maybe an overview of it all; and facing the entry/exitway of the valley from the pvp queuer building)

~Craka_J

Level 25
Yeah... we unfortuneately won't have an Open Beta soon. But we're working as hard and as fast as possible. We're even taking our time to work on Wc3:WoW on our personal holidays as well, so we're really trying to complete what we can as soon as we can. But even at our fast pace now, we've got lots to do.

~Craka_J

Level 34
What if you just work on a race and a couple classes for it. Orc for example. Then you could just make a handful of maps, like up to barrens. Then release an open beta for that race. Or a closed. lol

I just think you should get one of the beginning areas (ie. valley of trials) to completion, or near it. Then you at least have something to showcase, and to give people an idea of the quality of the Mod.

Level 25
Orc and Tauren are pretty much completed. Their classes and major cities are the ones I want to fix the most. The noob areas are created quite accurately, but the looks could be even more accurate, which I should focus on since it is pretty much the first real impression of the game. Good idea Gilles.

Work on just one race? I don't think so. We'd get lots of complaints probably for that. Although the Orc race (Class-wise) is most complete of all races, so maybe we will focus more on them and get them over with.

Screenshots Needed For Areas:
  • The Drag
  • Valley of Strength
  • Valley of Honor
  • Valley of Spirits?
  • Back entry of Orgrimmar.

~Craka_J

Level 25
New Trailer!

The Wc3:WoW Team has successfully released their first and newest trailer of Wc3:WoW! Here is the video, uploaded at www.YouTube.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqPhZYStD4

This newly released trailer shows off a lot of the terrains we've gotten done so far. Hopefully the video is enough to give you an idea of what the terrain looks like so far and give a nice feel to it. We think this should make many fans excited for the public release even more!

Video is 1 minute and 46 seconds long.

PS: Special thanks goes to Bob27 for making the trailer!

~Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 25
Jumping is a feature I personally think would be a great addition. But it has its flaws. Most likely, we'll add jumping and work around its flaws. Thanks for the appreciation of the trailer! The next one will show gameplay. We haven't started making it yet, but once we finish a lot more with the gameplay such as combat, the trailer will begin to be under-construction.

~Craka_J

Level 12
Orc and Tauren are pretty much completed. Their classes and major cities are the ones I want to fix the most. The noob areas are created quite accurately, but the looks could be even more accurate, which I should focus on since it is pretty much the first real impression of the game. Good idea Gilles.

Work on just one race? I don't think so. We'd get lots of complaints probably for that. Although the Orc race (Class-wise) is most complete of all races, so maybe we will focus more on them and get them over with.

Screenshots Needed For Areas:
  • The Drag
  • Valley of Strength
  • Valley of Honor
  • Valley of Spirits?
  • Back entry of Orgrimmar.

~Craka_J

I can do that although itll take me a day or two.

Edit:My previous screens were taken while flying,but org didnt turn out so good cause you cant really fly up high there.(textures block your way,blizzard didnt really expect anyone to be flying in orgrimmar)So this means i can only take regular screens(Or i can make a temporary account for someone on my server,and then he could take screens of anything hed like.Id enable all the admin commands for him,under the condition that he doesnt ban players or anything :D)

Level 25
I haven't even thought about it to be honest. I'd make another poll for which one should be next... but the last one was completely pointless and failed miserabley. So, the next competition will be of my choice and I have yet to decide when it'll be started and what type of competition it will be. Stay tuned!

~Craka_J

Level 25
Big update, much?

Nerf all classes? Well the problem with WoW primarily (Class-wise) which makes it unbalanced in PvP is not that all classes are over-powered, but that all classes are under-powered. The only real balanced class WoW has is the Warlock and maybe the Rogue. The rest are just not good enough. WoW is very gear dependent and not very much skill dependent. Skill of course does play a large role; it does in any game! But if eight year old kids are able to kill people in WoW, then obviously there is a problem.

To those who don't even know what skill is in a game, skill is how you create your own strategies and tactics for both PvE and PvP. However, PvP is where the real skill lies. It is best in all games that a high level character which is decked out in good gear can kick ass, but when there is barely any skill applied to the killing of other players and you do it successfully, the urge to even want to play the game fades away. Blizzard plans on fixing their flaws some day and think their expansion will fix it, which I strongly doubt. So, since Blizzard Entertainment officials cannot see what the problem is and have the patience to even fix it with the money they have, we've decided to make our Wc3:WoW better in the fields the real WoW is not. It'll be tough to do since the engines are totally different and the responses to keys is probably a bit off in Wc3:WoW as well, but if we really do balance everything out like we plan to, we believe that a lot of people will appreciate this a lot and Blizzard may even notice what they've been missing for almost two years now.

When will we get started on PvP? Personally, I can't wait to get started on it! However, PvE is what's needed to reach PvP standards, so that must come first unfortunately. But have no fear! As we progress, we stick in tiny little features to the project which will eventually help develop PvP to become a lot more fun and skill based as well. Things as simple as the movement system play a role like that on our mod; especially for Rogues!

Our biggest goal which we've planned so far is an extremely complex and advanced A.I. system for Wc3:WoW. One that will make Player-Bots act as if they were real people by performing random actions such as grinding, ganking, farming, dueling, dancing, and maybe even starting very basic conversations. Do we plan on making noob bots who shout things like "Wolverine isn't a mutant!" or Chuck Norris jokes? We probably will once we get started on the way bots communicate through text.

Back to classes: Classes such as the Hunter are not totally focussed on one aspect of the game. Players should not have to choose a type of class, only because it lets them do what they want. The way you set up your class's spells and specialization skills should impact what the character is best at; even if it is made to balance your character's affectiveness towards PvE and PvP. Many games fail to make the choices of players be this flexible because of lazy and inpatient developers. Wc3:WoW has many lazy developers, but at least we get our stuff done! Sure it takes a while, but how else are we going to get it done to perfection? A lot of our fans say we're perfectionists and elitists, and just for the record, we are! Otherwise this mod would never meet the entertainment standards that a player should have.

Right now, the mod isn't that much fun. A lot of it is a bunch of Work-In-Progress content and we're adding more and more stuff on top of that to keep the mod refreshed. Yes, we are aware that there are over 30 bugs in the game, but we're trying very hard to fix little by little at a time. Your patience is greatly respected and appreciated and we hope you all still look forward to this progressing more.

Also, the gameplay isn't complete enough to satisfy even our testers; some of which love it however because of its new and creative trigger/terrain work. Pretty soon, we'll being working really hard on spells, combat, and possibly quests. The only bad side to us planning stuff like this is that we get side-tracked and begin making a newer feature. For instance, we wanted to make a Talent Tree system and eventually became bored and frustrated with it; so we began to make a Mail-box system instead (Which went quite well and works just fine!)

If you have any other questions at all, please ask them here if you'd like! You can also e-mail the team questions at either:
[email protected]
or
[email protected]

~Craka_J

Level 25
Fixing bugs is one of the most boring things to do. Its also hard when the beta testers dont do their job properly or at all. We'll try to get as many bugs fixed as we can, but it will take up a lot of time. However, it will be worth the wait.

~Craka_J

Level 2
Curiosity Raised the Crypt Lord

I've been scanning through the WC3:WoW forum and would like to know exactly... what is WC3:WoW? It sounds very interesting and would like to get a little info on this. Can someone fill me in please?

- Anub'arak

Level 6
hey, i just readed this thread and got annoyed of what i saw... a REALLY UBER IDEA, i love the landscapes and all the stuff you made so far.
I think that you would need to first start to fix as much bugs as you can, before getting any far... as this is a big project, and if you go on, the bugs will be more and more as you keep mapping, and THAT will be boring to fix.
also, if your beta testers arent doing their jobs... WHY ARE THEY BETA TESTERS? :p
good luck, and i hope you can finish this great project... i like it and you have my support

Level 6
revival team? oh... its going to be suspended again... just readed at the other sticky.. :( too bad

i would apply for the revival team, but my knowledge is not much... just that i've played a lot of WoW, (also was a mod on a private server) and some triggering... also, im on my own project atm. i think i wont be of much help for a project this big

Level 6
sorry u.u not that good yet with JASS, but im on my efforts to learn it, and as i have some programming (PHP, VB, HTML) knowledge, i can see that is somewhat easy to learn for me. I just need to get familiarized with the functions (JASS Craft is really great for learning from functions)

Level 25
Operation Project Revival

Okay people, it's time to get serious again about this project and try to get some progression moving along here. For too long there's been nothing really new being done with WC3:WoW. Well now is the time to return and work on the game until our minds explode, once again! But to do so, we must fulfil our desperate need of triggerers first!

What will new triggerers be focusing on? Well. There are quite a few tasks that are still to be done before we can consider the release of the next big closed beta, but the key things triggerers will need to work on are:
  • Attachment System: When an item is equipped (Such as a sword), it will become visible on the equipping character's appropriate attachment point.
  • Inventory System: When an item is picked up, it will need to be stored or some how saved in a cache so that the game always remembers what is in the player's inventory. This also goes for the equipment system.
  • Equipment System: Players will have the freedom to search through their inventory at any time and equip items such as weapons and armor. Equipped items will likely be given a durability value, but perhaps not until other more important things are accomplished. When an item is unequipped, I want it to return to the inventory (If there is space available).
Those are the three biggest things triggerers will need to work on heavily, aside from fixing discovered bugs from BETA testers and so on. If you know you can do at least one of those jobs, please inform us immediately by posting in here!

~Craka_J

Level 25
If you can't do any of the tasks which I listed a couple posts back, then you're not wanted. Sorry. But if you can't even do one of the tasks, then what help are you?

But yes, I am trying to organize a new revival team. The current members are Me and Av3n. Ice might also join, but school has become a big obstacle for him.

~Craka_J

Level 25
There isn't a very good chance we'll convert. We'd have to redo ALL of the terrain, remake all of the files (models, skins, etc.), and redo the coding since it will not use JASS in SC2. If there is going to be another WoW remake for Starcraft II, chances are that I won't be leading it or a part of it in any way.

~Craka_J

Level 25
The closest thing to Endgame we have at the moment is level 13 stuff. :p We still got our selves a long way to go until we even get to dealing with players hitting leve 40!
We will definitely work on PvE as hard as we can though. Maybe not so much right now as much of the work being done is alpha status I guess, but because there is much more important things to work on such as abilities and items. I started making Ragefire Chasm and I guess I finished the really basic layout of the dungeon, but there's still a lot of details to be added and mobs as well. If we do end up having RFC accessible in the public beta, I can guarantee that there will be at least one quest for you to do in there, just to make it more meaningful to enter and complete it. :)

At the moment, Character Visuality is the winner of votes and we're actually planning to begin making equipped items such as weapons and armor visible on your character. Will we add physical customizable traits as well? We want to, but might not actually make it... not right away at least.

~Craka_J

Level 2
o_O this looks, and sounds, sweet. but errr, NE start in teldrassil. im defiantly going to play this. howd you get the camera working though? i cant seem to get one like that.

Level 25
Well there's still a few problems with it in some areas, but it isn't a high priority right now. After all, this project is pretty early in a sense since there's still much to be done and a lot of it needs more development.

As for how we did it, I'm afraid I cannot answer that question for I am not the one who triggered the cameras. Ask that question in the Triggers area of the Hive Workshop. :smile:

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.