• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official "There are too many pending resources" Thread

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Welcome to the official complaint thread! For a long time, there have been by-monthly recurring threads addressing too many pending resources in our resource database.

We do understand it can be frustrating to have your resource pending for days and days. Understand that, by rule of thumb, being patient is the better way to deal with it by far. But I don't believe for a second that will stop the threads/replies coming.

So instead of addressing all subsequent threads seperately, this thread will serve as a container thread for all complaints about pending resources. Basically, post here if you have complaints about lack of moderation in our resource sections.

Thread Rules
  • Try not to post if there aren't at least 3 pages of pending resources.
    • Any less than three full pages and more of pending resources is generally okay.
    • An exception can be made if the resources have been pending for a long time (e.g. more than a month).
  • No individual approval requests and/or rejection complaints.
    • Want to talk to us about your pending/moderated resources? Use Staff Contact.
  • Try to be polite.
    • Moderators may work for your good, but they don't work for you. They are doing this voluntarily and are not your employees. A little courtesy goes a long way instead of trying to bark orders at them.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is soley to discuss the pending resources and situations pertaining to pending resources. Use Staff/Admin Contact if you want to complain about the staff/staff members, and a new thread if you want to complain about resource moderation politics.

Last edited:
Level 34
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/site-discussion-97/model-section-264185/index5.html#post2674436

MiniMage said:
You guys are terrible at asking questions. XD
Yeah, I agree on that. But they seems better on complainants instead in asking.

fladdermasken said:
or to complain about members of the staff in general (fingerpointing or otherwise). Use Staff/Admin Contact for that.
No, I will do it here! I fingerpoint at MiniMage! Its his all fault :cgrin:
He should burn on palm!

Seriosly,
,,An exception can be made if the resources have been pending for a long time (more than four weeks)"
I agree on that, 4 weeks (one month) seems fine for moderator do check resource, since there can be many.

MiniMage said:
normally just moderating based on a priority, attachments being the lowest, thus why the pending section is building up with them.
Yeah, people mostly just see pages, but do not check what is pending on those pages. You are doing this logically, final models have bigger priority than attachments.

Level 19
the map section is pending constantly because of the number of reposts.

if we created a 1 update a month limit, or update credit, it wil encourage mappers to find beta testers between having it reviewed by the moderators.

Roland

R

Roland

Most pending icons on the Icon section are full with simply edited icons/Cnp or Re-distributed from other sites which they don't own it >,< So as the models section.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Most pending icons on the Icon section are full with simply edited icons/Cnp or Re-distributed from other sites which they don't own it >,< So as the models section.

I disagree, there are hardly models matching what you describe, whereas I agree with the icon section.

Level 21
Additionally, please keep in mind that most maps are multiplayer or can only be truly judged when played in multiplayer.
So that means one map reviewer online is mostly not enough to review these maps... they have to meet in order to test them as a group.
This.

This isn't true for the models section,but I agree that it's becomming too common in the icon section

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I think it is save to say that they are too many pending models ?
I looked a bit through them and some models could be easily approved or send to Needs Fix, I would say.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I used to think that as well. But then Frankster said otherwise to me in chat, and he knows just about 75x more than me about models so I took his word for it.

Hm, might be true..

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

No it is not. It just needs time, which most of the mods do not wish to 'waste'.

Wow, you did just say that ? I am impressed, a honest answer!

Why are they model mods then ?
I never understand why many assigned moderators ( in all sections) are actually doing like .. nothing or the minimum of what they could/should do.

Of course, none has the time to spend the whole day on Hive moderating resources, but there are many people able and qualified doing so.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

They also have other things to do aside from moderating resources. That is not avoidable.

Yes, of course. Nonetheless one should not become/stay moderator if one does not have a bit of time to moderate.

Of course, the story is quite more complex, you have to find users being qualified to moderate as well as being social qualified to deal with disagreements and argumentations.

Level 22

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Does moderating a model really that hard?
(I don't know honest question)

But I doubt it is as difficult as moderating spells or maps.

I don't know for sure either, but I can imagine that it takes some time per model.
You have to check its structure in Magos, I guess, look for the efficiency regarding file-size, check whether it has appropriate animations, whether it has attachments and if it has attachment points, whether they work appropriate in-game, meaning you have to check whether the model works in-game.

I don't know for sure either, but I can imagine that it takes some time per model.
You have to check its structure in Magos, I guess, look for the efficiency regarding file-size, check whether it has appropriate animations, whether it has attachments and if it has attachment points, whether they work appropriate in-game, meaning you have to check whether the model works in-game.

If you do it most official way, you'll have to import the model into World Editor and then play around with it for some minutes to check for flaws or the lack thereof.

Also, some mods are way too politically correct and way too polite to reject something (apart from blatant rip-offs). Sometimes some resources are garbage and there is no redeeming value or way to fix them.

Level 19
I looked over the modeling section. it was a head ache testing just one model file. I don't think it has the same fun aspect to it as maps or spells. if someone could design a new model viewing system which demonstrates all the actions and a 3-D view all with in 5 minutes.... it would clear the modeling section and make it a bit more entertaining.

does anyone know how to strip the world editors side window? you know that window on the left Hand side which shows the animations? that could made the process, of making a new model viewing system, much easier

Roland

R

Roland

PENDING Resources, That's how I think of it.
-Takes eons to approve it
-Flooded by Ripped resources
-Flooded Icons are mostly made on MS Paint, Simple CnP and 2 year old drawings.

That's what I always expect, Yes really, I'm not even trolling.

Hello folks.

This is not really directed at the time it takes for a model to be moderated but more on which models are being moderated.
Obviously some models takes longer to get checked and simple ones can be done swiftly. Therefore a newer uploaded simple model can be moderated before a slightly older uploaded complex model. So far so good.

But what I don't get is that apparently it also comes down to who uploads (or it could seem so).
A model uploaded today 6/1-2016 which I would deem ok complex gets BAM moderated and super rating the same day, today. Whereas other models, simpler models, have been pending for months.
That I don't get. If there is time for the brand new complex model upload to get moderated, then why are there still way simpler models pending?
Edit: is it because some models are more fun to moderate? I hope not.

I call nepotism or would like a reasonable explanation.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hello folks.

This is not really directed at the time it takes for a model to be moderated but more on which models are being moderated.
Obviously some models takes longer to get checked and simple ones can be done swiftly. Therefore a newer uploaded simple model can be moderated before a slightly older uploaded complex model. So far so good.

But what I don't get is that apparently it also comes down to who uploads (or it could seem so).
A model uploaded today 6/1-2016 which I would deem ok complex gets BAM moderated and super rating the same day, today. Whereas other models, simpler models, have been pending for months.
That I don't get. If there is time for the brand new complex model upload to get moderated, then why are there still way simpler models pending?
Edit: is it because some models are more fun to moderate? I hope not.

I call nepotism or would like a reasonable explanation.

Minimage explained this in the original thread.

If I recall, it was something along the lines of someone who uploads a complex/advanced model has obviously put more effort into that model thus that person deserves faster moderation.

This was mainly in regards to spamming the section with unanimated models which at the time was the major part of the pending section.

Ah.
That does not justify what I wrote in my first post though. At least in my optic.
But I see fladdermasken is on it, so my opinion is to no use right now.

No? I though it was exactly that, complex models were moderated rather fast while some are left pending for months. But yeah, w/e.

If there are no more complex models to moderate, the simpler should get moderated. Not just keep on pending.
And even if we follow the thought that complex > simple, there must be a certain limit to how long a model can be pending.
Oh, and that complex model which got moderated today before everything else. That's just throwing mud in the faces of other uploaders.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33

Why are they model mods then ?
I never understand why many assigned moderators ( in all sections) are actually doing like .. nothing or the minimum of what they could/should do.

Of course, none has the time to spend the whole day on Hive moderating resources, but there are many people able and qualified doing so.

What makes you think you can do better than the current moderator? Okay perhaps you can outperform the current moderator in the early times after you got promoted. But, people gets bored. Moderating is not an easy job (especially moderating code resources) and you have to do it all years long (there's always new resources all the time). Yet you don't get paid for it.

And after months of being moderator, you'll start to become slower (perhaps because you get bored or simply have to deal with your busier real life). Then people appears to complain upon your work/performance. Then perhaps you will think, these people don't have any idea about what they are complaining about. And perhaps this is what the current moderator's thinking right now. :)

("You" here is not addressed to Ardenian only but to everyone who thinks likewise)

Personally I never get so excited to have my resources approved, no matter what rating I get. I mean it would be a temporary excitement to have a 5/5 rating, but it's just temporary. And after moderation, usually I will do one or two updates to perfectize that resource. But then what? What I gonna do with my approved resources? I think, nothing. My point is why are you so hurried to get your resource approved? What are you going to do with it?

I can be wrong here since this is my own way to think about this matter. :)

I personally prefer a slow but quality moderation process than fast but rushed one. I don't want to get a single word/sentence on approval like "Approved." or "Good resource. Approved." So to all moderators, if you are about to moderate my resources, please take as much times as you want. You can leave my resources pending as long as you want but make sure you give it enough efforts to review, if only you appreciate my with-love-made resources. ♥

Cheers to the moderator team.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
This is just speculation. There has been no response from any of the resource moderators, so please don't accept any of these opinions as fact.

We are talking about it though, and will get back to you soon. :)

Quilnez, yah it would be really cool.
But sadly it's almost impossible to always make a detailed review...
That's why often only some flaws are mentioned that needs to be changed and then -> approved. (not always, but often)
But atually I like your idea in mind.

I'm not very sure, I think it was KILLCIDE, who I talked with about this recently.
In pending section people usually even receive more critiques/reviews than after approval. (codes)
And after approval there might be more comments, but mostly for usage or gratulation, or there is a certain problem.
This is also a reason for myself that I (usually) don't instantly reject/approve a resource but let it some days at least before any touch.
At least it was back then more like this. Now at the moment not many people (non-mods) give feedback,
and this is also one reason for why a section gets slowed down. Not only mods, but also people.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I understand. User activity would help the moderation progress a lot, everyone already knew this. And it indeed seems like user activity in spell section today is low. I myself has too much things to do right now so I don't have times to take a look at other's resources.

But actually, when I talked about rushed moderation, I was referring to map resource moderation. Mostly maps take a lot more times to create than other resources. It just feels disrespectful to me to approve a map with just "Useful. Approved. 3/5" comment, no matter how bad the map is. Even "Approved based on a's review" feels a lot better to me, as long as the addressed review is decent. But still that kind of moderator's laziness is nothing positive, you better retire dude. Since I prefer "appreciation" more than clean looking section. I mean, I made this resource with efforts, you better moderate it with efforts as well.

And lately I noticed a very bad discrimination in the map section. Where APproject's cinematic got approved just in couple of hours after being uploaded. Whereas, there are more than 70 pending maps in the map section (referencing on the pending resource monitor app) uploaded earlier. Most of them are uploaded days before. And even some are uploaded more than 2 months ago without being touched by moderator at all. I know he is a bad-ass eye-candy map maker and the rating deserves every single piece. But does that sound fair to you? I will be honest here. I obviously have problem with that, with how the moderator treat the users unevenly.

Every single map there is equal (at least that's how it seems to me), even tho they're vary in term of quality. But they are all human-made, every single one contains love in it. Their creator created them for free, all with the same objective: to please our users (or to be dramatic, to keep wc3 alive). Every single one deserves the best possible moderation. Well. Where is the equality of human right here? And.. Where's your professionalism? Perhaps I'm being too dramatic and exaggerate things too much. I don't care.

(This part was removed for being a bit offensive)

(To be continued... :p)

EDIT:
This part is not necessary. I know I'm complaining too much. No one is perfect, neither I'm. I won't be able to do better than you as well. Nothing much we can do to make the moderation process better. We all have limited free times. I just want to point out that every person deserves to be respected and treated equally.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Level 32
Cinematic maps with a YouTube video allow moderation via mobile, and that's how it got moderated. Other than that, we're still going by older to newer, but some maps / campaigns need time and are updated from needs fix which makes it look like we are leaving maps pending for a while.