• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official "There are too many pending resources" Thread

Roland

R

Roland

Silly to know that when someone complains here in this thread for his resources or other resources are pending so as the moderators/staff take action on approving resources.

Level 11
I for one am glad that the staff was so quick in providing a response, regardless of the content of that response.

I was just thinking, in general...maybe it would be good to have a larger debate about this?

I would be interested in what the purpose of the written part of the review is.

Is it mainly so that the author of the resource can get feedback? Because in some cases, from my limited knowledge which is nowhere near enough for me to throw a general rule out there, it would seem that the author of that resource is contacted by the moderator separately via PM with what to change about the map in order to get an approve (it was the case with me).

Is the written review meant to serve potential downloaders, so that they can get the confirmation from a staff member that a map (I am mainly speaking about maps here, though this can be applied to most resources) is worth downloading? Because if that is the case, many reviews are lacking in enough substance to be of any help in figuring out if that map is any good. If a simple approval is needed, why not just keep the star rating without any written comments?

Is it a mix of all of the above? Is it up to each moderator to decide?

I think its worth having a look at these questions. I cannot pretend that I hold the answer to any of them, I can only give you an opinion based on very limited information.

Level 32
teozamiat said:
I would be interested in what the purpose of the written part of the review is.

Is it mainly so that the author of the resource can get feedback? Because in some cases, from my limited knowledge which is nowhere near enough for me to throw a general rule out there, it would seem that the author of that resource is contacted by the moderator separately via PM with what to change about the map in order to get an approve (it was the case with me).

Is the written review meant to serve potential downloaders, so that they can get the confirmation from a staff member that a map (I am mainly speaking about maps here, though this can be applied to most resources) is worth downloading? Because if that is the case, many reviews are lacking in enough substance to be of any help in figuring out if that map is any good. If a simple approval is needed, why not just keep the star rating without any written comments?
Reviews aren't mandatory, for maps at least. A review is simply added if the map moderator is willing to do so, and the usual factors of making a decision for that is if the map mod has enough time and how many other maps that should be attended to soon. A full review from us is usually a nice balance of feedback and a critique is put in place for anyone to read, but many times there's not enough time for that. We have the freedom to it via the ways you listed.

Many maps that get approved these days have a >3 sentence explanation and I think that's sufficient enough. Other maps get the simple "Map follows the rules, therefor it's approved" and that's fine too :)

Knight of Asford said:
Hmm...from what I've read...are you saying that if we *users* test maps and give them reviews, then we'd be able to help the moderators a bunch in approving the map? Oh well.
Absolutely. It's like leaving a list of useful notes outside the door of something that needs to be inspected.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I do think it's a reasonable topic if there are issues within a resource section, but it seems
more of temporary concern than a general "Ask The Staff" question, and would fit better here.
I might have misinterpreted the intention of course, and you primaly didn't want to lay out it as a critique.

I must have misunderstood this thread's purpose. Saw some oot questions here so I thought I can ask anything.
It's not a critique, I'm just curious how you're gonna deal with it. You already have 2 moderators and 3 reviewers.

Level 21
Well, considering the fact that Orcnet stepped down and SCN was promoted to Ambassador (so his main job in no more map moderation), I am the only map mod left, and frankly real life has not been going easy on me this year so it's hard for me to find the time to moderate maps.

Luckily, reviewers then popped in when the pending resources increased. Now we're all trying our best to moderate the maps that ought to be moderated long time ago, but it won't be an easy task :/ Also consider that we do not spend 24 hours a day reviewing maps because we all have real lives. The problem with maps is that they are complicated to review and could take a lot of time, and this is mainly the reason why pending maps got out of contol in a short period of time.

Once again I would like to raise the question why newer uploaded models gets moderated before older ones that have been pending for months.
A model uploaded yesterday (March 22) has been moderated and approved/declined today. Yet I still see pending models all the way back a page 14.

I would like to note that this has nothing to do with my own models. It's purely a principal matter.
If there is time for new models to be moderated there should be time for the old ones as well.

I thought this had been addressed in some staff thread.

Edit:
Whoops. Let me change that to page 66. (2013)

Once again I would like to raise the question why newer uploaded models gets moderated before older ones that have been pending for months.
A model uploaded yesterday (March 22) has been moderated and approved/declined today. Yet I still see pending models all the way back a page 14.

I would like to note that this has nothing to do with my own models. It's purely a principal matter.
If there is time for new models to be moderated there should be time for the old ones as well.

I thought this had been addressed in some staff thread.

Edit:
Whoops. Let me change that to page 66. (2013)

It is the exception to the rule Solu9. Generally models are moderated from oldest to newest, but if a moderator/reviewer stumbles on a model they really like, they think would be really easy to moderate or they've had access to before they were uploaded, they're given to moderate those too.

It is the exception to the rule Solu9. Generally models are moderated from oldest to newest, but if a moderator/reviewer stumbles on a model they really like, they think would be really easy to moderate or they've had access to before they were uploaded, they're given to moderate those too.

Hm.
So because newer models have been more fun to moderate we still have a model on page 66 pending from 2013?
If the rule is, from oldest to newest, that model should, in any case, have been moderated by now. No matter how much fun or easy newer models have been to moderate.

That model alone raises the question if the rule is actually being upheld by just a fraction, and if it is actually the other way around; newest/more fun models gets moderated first.

I think I fail to see how models that far back can still be pending. Because even I, as a mere member of this site, can check currently pending models and when they were uploaded. So can the moderators.

Em!s models was removed and has just recently been restored by his own request and are under Ralles responsibility. Also, if you actually took the time to read, those models are all moderated and awaits changes before they can be approved. The newest unmoderated resource is Mike's Storage (from this year). And that one I'll probably moderate, as soon as he gets to the models I already moderated, if nobody else does that is.

Em!s models was removed and has just recently been restored by his own request and are under Ralles responsibility. Also, if you actually took the time to read, those models are all moderated and awaits changes before they can be approved. The newest unmoderated resource is Mike's Storage (from this year). And that one I'll probably moderate, as soon as he gets to the models I already moderated, if nobody else does that is.

Aha. That is of course hard to know on my part.
I took the time, per your suggestion, and read the moderators' notes (some at least).
Three as examples:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/dragonspawnguard-256209/?prev=of%3Dupdateline%26o%3DASC%26r%3D20%26status%3Dp
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/lizardman-high-priest-crew-272506/?prev=of%3Dupdateline%26o%3DASC%26r%3D20%26status%3Dp
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/nerubian-ziggurat-274881/?prev=of%3Dupdateline%26o%3DASC%26r%3D20%26status%3Dp

The first two. While there have been given suggestions on how to improve the model, only the Dragonspawn calls for an required action. And in that case shouldn't it have been moved to "Needs Fix"?
The Lizardman note said it is approvable. If it is infact not, shouldn't it be moved to "Needs Fix" as well?
And the Ziggurat. It's two months old, seems like a fairly easy model to moderate, and it has no moderator note.

Level 28
I'm not sure it is the moderator's fault, but in my opinion we should make models submission as maps submission, they won't shows up in the model section page till they get approved! But they still can be found in the "Pending models" tab.

For already moderated resource, it is up to the moderator to take care of those things. Since MiniMage no longer moderates models, someone else should probably take care of that model if it haven't been updated yet. And yeah, somebody need to get around to the Nerubian Ziggurat. Might take care of it myself one of the coming days if nothing else.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hm.
So because newer models have been more fun to moderate we still have a model on page 66 pending from 2013?
If the rule is, from oldest to newest, that model should, in any case, have been moderated by now. No matter how much fun or easy newer models have been to moderate.

That model alone raises the question if the rule is actually being upheld by just a fraction, and if it is actually the other way around; newest/more fun models gets moderated first.

I think I fail to see how models that far back can still be pending. Because even I, as a mere member of this site, can check currently pending models and when they were uploaded. So can the moderators.

This happened to me not many days ago. In my case it was favorable though.

My map was moderated within two days after upload, but technically there were 3 pages of maps which should have been before mine. (some of the maps were surely awaiting update and thus were reviewed once already, but I doubt that's the case for all of them)

I would do the same if I were a mod. If I saw something that caught my eye I would moderate it instead of something else.

For already moderated resource, it is up to the moderator to take care of those things. Since MiniMage no longer moderates models, someone else should probably take care of that model if it haven't been updated yet. And yeah, somebody need to get around to the Nerubian Ziggurat. Might take care of it myself one of the coming days if nothing else.

Thank god Minimage stepped aside, he was never really that good of a moderator.

Level 26
Thank god Minimage stepped aside, he was never really that good of a moderator.

Not really sure what your argument is for saying so. Nor do I see a need for why you need to say so. You've been acting like a spoiled child since day one and considering the number of number of times you've been mere words away from a ban, I don't consider your word to have that much merit to it. If you're gonna diss someone, ensure that you got the arguments to back it up, otherwise you're just being a classless dick. I know it's your general persona, however if you want to trash talk about me, do it to my face.

If you're just salty about me rejecting your many pointless or unoriginal models, that doesn't really equate to me being bad, it equates to you not being creative enough to make something decent enough for approval.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
MiniMage was a great moderator. This is not the forum to diss the staff/former staff. Besides, it's off-topic too.

There are multiple reasons for a model to stay pending and newer ones to be approved first.
1. Sometimes the model was moderated but left pending to permit the author to make fixes (Not properly set to Awaiting Update).
2. The model was moderated by another moderator who is gone/away and the model moderators need permission by the upper staff to change it.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
That is good reasoning but it does not explain all the models.

I checked it out 1 min ago and found a few models on the last page which were uploaded 2 months ago and no moderator comment of any sort. (or reviewer comment)

Same for the map section.

edit:
I am not trying to bash on the mods, I would do the same as them. I just think it's silly to defend/deny it, because it's obviously happening.

Level 26
Actually, leaving a model as pending has a couple advantages.

1. It allows people to comment on the resource, encourage the creator.
2. It allows people to point out flaws.
3. It allows people to suggest ideas.
4. It gives the moderator time to think, to be able to later give a just judgement. Some models are hard to judge, so they require more thinking time.
5. It allows the moderator to bring their magnifying glass and analyze the model in model editors to spot potential flaws that may come up.
6. It gives the moderator time to properly test the models ingame, stress test them and ensure that nothing breaks.
7. Leaving a few pending for a longer time allows the moderator to feel less pressure, ensuring just judgement and a good mood, also increasing the chances of a far more detailed review of the resource.
8. The few cases where needs fix is applied quickly, that's when the model has blatant flaws that needs to be adressed quickly, before being left a short while as pending again.

Also, four pages of pending isn't really a whole lot. You really need to account for their life. Adding models to a gallery isn't a race, assuming the moderators will deal with it in such a manner is unlikely. Regarding moderating multiple pages in a day when being in a particularly good mood, that has been rather unique to my time as a moderator. As I don't believe any moderators has done it before or since my time here.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Actually, leaving a model as pending has a couple advantages.

1. It allows people to comment on the resource, encourage the creator.
2. It allows people to point out flaws.
3. It allows people to suggest ideas.
4. It gives the moderator time to think, to be able to later give a just judgement.
5. It gives the moderator time to properly test the models ingame, stress test them and ensure that nothing breaks.
6. Leaving a few pending for a longer time allows the moderator to feel less pressure, ensuring just judgement and a good mood, also increasing the chances of a far more detailed review of the resource.

Also, four pages of pending isn't really a whole lot. You really need to account for their life.

1, 2 & 3. So you can't do that if the a moderator has bothered to comment on it?

4. Yeah, right. They don't need time to think when moderating newer models though, apparently. Sure some may be more tricky than others, but that should be rare.
5. Same as 4, they certainly got the time, they just use it elsewhere.
6. if anything having 0 pending models should make the mod feel peace and without pressure.
Having the work pile up is the definition of stress in my opinion.

Level 26
Added a few more points to my comment.

1,2,3 - If I instantly set a resource to needs fix, people will not be able to see the resource. If I do, once fixes has been done, I leave it pending, to ensure some comments can be given to the resource.

4 - If a model is completely crap or completely gold, the judgement is easy. If it is detailed and without issues in the editor ingame OR it has massive ammounts of issues in both of these cases, then the decision is simple. The gray zones require thinking time. Basically, work harder and longer on your model and be rewarded in turn.

5 - Not really sure why you feel so entitled. They use their time to live their lives, they are not drones that work 24/7. They got pressure from living their lives, going to school, or going to work. They dedicate time in here out of their own free will. Assuming that they should work their asses off 24/7 is just a statement that makes you appear like an asshole.

6. Sending the models down to zero will relieve pressure sure, but snappy judgement and shorter reviews generally will be the result of this. Besides, you guys upload models every day. You can't just moderate to zero and "be done". Seriously, I've tried moderating everything down to zero a bunch of times. The first time I was set as a moderator I moderated 8 pages. The next day we had 1 page pending. Then I had to do stuff in my life, returned three days later and there were 5 pages pending.

I have come to realize that if the resources can be dealt with if we set a standard to uphold. To me that was "no more than four pages of pendings". If all the moderators are pulling with an equal weight, there's not really any stress to speak off. That's also why I felt very pressured during my time as a moderator because I was the only one who was really pulling at all.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1,2,3 - Easily solved, Ralle could change that by changing one variable pretty much. (which will happen in hive 2.0, if I recall)
Maybe this is a model only thing, but needs fix stuff are visible in the spell section at least. So if this is important, it can be changed.
edit: okay it seems to be a spell only thing actually. <end of edit>

4. I recall this statement from in another thread a while back. I understand your statement but I don't agree with it, seems like it's the same for others as well if you back a page and read.
Regardless:
This is not deciding the fate of the world, you're moderating a model on a fan site. Thinking a few minutes should be enough. Blaming weeks/months of slack on this is absurd.

5. Don't be a mod if you don't want to put in time and effort. They signed up for it, knowing it would take time, and they certainly know how busy they are in real life as well.
Assuming that everyone (of the mods) are busy, hardworking people with a harsh real life is just as bad as me assuming everyone is a no-life-geek.

6. Fair enough, I can admit this depends from person to person.

Level 26
Well, regarding 4. I can't speak for everyone but when a model has been worked on for a shorter amount of time than it takes for me moderate it, my motivation to moderate it becomes increasingly low.

You're basically complaining that they aren't as fast as I was before. How is that fair? When I was at the fastest and multiple pages were moderated as soon as they popped up, I was unemployed. I needed something to distract myself for a bit and the hive was perfect. I then landed myself a job for a couple months and naturally my speed slowed. It was a job that was fun and made me feel meaningful, but also was time based.

At this point in time you're basically complaining that they are productive members of society with lives. Of course they got shit to deal with. Pain to deal with. Life is pain, anyone who says anything different is selling something. It's not a generalization to assume that they are busy hardworking people, because anyone who respects themselves aspires to be that.

They put in time and effort. However, you have no right to demand how much time and effort they need to put in. Months of slack? What do you mean by slack? Since when is the average speed of my moderation some kind of reference, some kind of deadline or quota? I ask you this again, why do you feel so entitled? What possible event triggered your thought process to work this way?

It doesn't make sense. As you said. They are moderating models on a fan site. Since when did their rate of moderation have any greater impact? Since when were a deadline imposed on them and why do you assume you have the right to do so?

Level 28
I just have one thing, doesn't really fit anywhere else but I figured I'd ask here since it's looked at by staffers.
A map I made has an "approved" tag with no rating and no review by ap0calypse (2009).
That rating was absolutely fitting for the map in the past state but I worked on it again and improved it by 813%.
If I simply don't do anything about it, will it be rewiewed one sunny day?
Just curious - I don't need it reviewed anytime soon...

Level 21
I just have one thing, doesn't really fit anywhere else but I figured I'd ask here since it's looked at by staffers.
A map I made has an "approved" tag with no rating and no review by ap0calypse (2009).
That rating was absolutely fitting for the map in the past state but I worked on it again and improved it by 813%.

That sunny day will never come unless you ask for it ;)
Need a re-review? Contact a map mod or a map reviewer!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

I hear you're supposed to make a thread in staff contact.

You're basically complaining that they aren't as fast as I was before. How is that fair? When I was at the fastest and multiple pages were moderated as soon as they popped up, I was unemployed. I needed something to distract myself for a bit and the hive was perfect. I then landed myself a job for a couple months and naturally my speed slowed. It was a job that was fun and made me feel meaningful, but also was time based.
No. I am not comparing them to anyone specifically.
I am just trying to highlight that BS reasons given to defend the mods from the claims that some models takes much longer to get reviewed.

At this point in time you're basically complaining that they are productive members of society with lives. Of course they got shit to deal with. Pain to deal with. Life is pain, anyone who says anything different is selling something. It's not a generalization to assume that they are busy hardworking people, because anyone who respects themselves aspires to be that.

They put in time and effort. However, you have no right to demand how much time and effort they need to put in. Months of slack? What do you mean by slack? Since when is the average speed of my moderation some kind of reference, some kind of deadline or quota? I ask you this again, why do you feel so entitled? What possible event triggered your thought process to work this way?

It doesn't make sense. As you said. They are moderating models on a fan site. Since when did their rate of moderation have any greater impact? Since when were a deadline imposed on them and why do you assume you have the right to do so?
Essentially I got no life. And I know I am not the only one.
As I said you should not assume everyone is like you. Nor that they are different, just face the facts.
It does not mater how their lives look, the fact remains. Blaming whatever reason gets jack shit done.

Once more, I am not complaining about there being three pages of models, maps or spells. I am saying they moderate unfairly in the sense of newer stuff gets moderated faster than some of the older ones.
If something triggered me it's the fact that you (plural) try to defend the mods with, according to me, stupid reasons.
It is happening, just admit it instead. I would do the same simply because I felt like it, difference is that I don't give BS reasons for doing it.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77

I see you requested it. Hang on and it will happen. :)

Level 26
I am just trying to highlight that BS reasons given to defend the mods from the claims that some models takes much longer to get reviewed.

The reasons are not bullshit. They will get to the models in due time. Stop whining. It doesn't help.

Essentially I got no life. And I know I am not the only one.
Possibly, there's billions of people on this planet. But statistically they are a minority. Here on the hive the amount is even less on a percentage level. Now, I'm not making any assumptions regarding their busy lives as I generally know what everyone there is doing. Some work, some study, but nevertheless they are busy. They lead busy lives. That's not an assumption, that is fact.

It does not mater how their lives look, the fact remains. Blaming whatever reason gets jack shit done.
Again, I can't help that you're a little dense, but I'll repeat it as many times as I need to until it sticks. Their life takes priority, things get done, not quickly, but they get done. Thus there is no issue. It's not a question about "blame". Stop trying to make it one. Use your time to get your life in order or start modding, don't use it to whine. It benefits no one. "Blaming whatever reason gets jack shit done." your words. Go get shit done. Don't complain about others doing something slowly. At least they are doing something. Shit is getting done.

I am saying they moderate unfairly in the sense of newer stuff gets moderated faster than some of the older ones.
Life is unfair, get used to it. As previously explained, we don't give a damn when the model is uploaded. I should probably explain my methodology that appears to be farily shared among the other moderators, except maybe for Misha, but again I never did come to understand that guy. Below is a numbering, from 1 to 5, 1 being the highest priroity.

1. If it looks good, proportions are well balanced and it works ingame. Then there's no issue. Approved. The better it works and looks, the higher the ranking. Lower filesize might also bump up the ranking.

2. If it looks bad, proportions are gone, it breaks ingame and generally works poorly. You set it to needs fix, if they refuse to change anything, you reject.

3. If it looks bad, proportions are awkward and it barely works. You set the model to needs fix. One should strive towards success, not barely passing.

4. If the model looks okay, but is from ingame with minor edits. As in simple edits on ingame models. Then you'll need to think, does its usefulness outweight its simplicity? Naturally your instincts will tell you to instantly reject, however, you need to think of how to do it because hivers are special snowflakes and you need to ensure that they don't throw temper tantrums upon rejection.

5. If you're unsure if the model even looks okay and if the uses for the model is questionably few. Then there's a high probability of rejection. While one would lean towards rejection, you're not sure if there can be uses somewhere. So you'll need to coordinate with some other moderators, or members so you have some decent feedback to go with. This is the recent the priority of these is ranked the lowest because coordinating with moderator, at least for me, was impossible and input from members was painfully biased. Anyhow, If you decide to reject, see point 4. If you intend to approve, chances are that you'll approve with a lower score and use its existence to prevent further spams of future similar models, rejecting those based on lacking originality.

If something triggered me it's the fact that you (plural) try to defend the mods with, according to me, stupid reasons.
Well, your reasons for whining is to me, rather stupid. You have no life so you spent the extra time you got over to complain to the ones who do that they don't spend all that extra energy and motivation on things they don't have time for. Many people may be in a similar position as you, but they don't shout it off rooftops. They don't use the growing frustration of feeling bad to complain about things that only annoys and distracts.

I would do the same simply because I felt like it.
That undoubtedly is stupid. Stop doing stupid things. Stop arguing that they are bad just because you have more time and different reasonings to do the same thing. They spend as much time with the hive as they wish. They moderate in a pace they set themselves. You have absolutely no reason to complain. Thus, stop complaining, book a time with a shrink. Pour out your issues and don't drag other people down because you feel bad.

Level 34
It allows the moderator to bring their magnifying glass and analyze the model in model editors to spot potential flaws that may come up.

I don't think that this argument makes sence considering you yourself approved a bunch of models without attachement points and proper even objects. Ex. early HerrDave models.

Nevertheless i'm glad the model reviewers are doing such a good job at pointing out those things. I am a very big fan of their job as mods.

Also, please stop trying to make sence out of a simple laziness or the discussion will become rather absurd fast. The "I need time to think so i won't even signal i've seen a model" argument is just ridiculous.

I think that in cases when the moderating is done completely voluntarily(in a sence that it's not rewarded in any way) one can't blame the mod for a long waiting time. But that's not true in cases when the model mod has a right to ban people or other things like that. It means that responsibility comes with a neat reward-bonus of power and then the moderator should be mocked for a badly done job by the community. I don't whether anyone of the current mods has any sort of power\else reward though..

Overfilled peding section is just a sign of a lowering interest towards wc3 modmaking. Testing out a model isn't hard, especialy if you have a special testmap for it. In this case the testing can be done under 10 minutes or something.

Well, your reasons for whining is to me, rather stupid. You have no life... etc etc

Sidenote: this is just rude. I don't think that ex-member of administration should behave like this.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Overfilled peding section is just a sign of a lowering interest towards wc3 modmaking. Testing out a model isn't hard, especialy if you have a special testmap for it. In this case the testing can be done under 10 minutes or something.
Isn't it a sign for the opposite ?
Since overfilled Pending sections mean many resource submitters and people who are interested in wc3 modding, doesn't it ?

One should not underestimate that ( theoretically) 10 minutes, in no section.
It stacks up fast.

Level 22
The toxicity level of this thread has risen dramatically.
Agreed.

Isn't it a sign for the opposite ?
Since overfilled Pending sections mean many resource submitters and people who are interested in wc3 modding, doesn't it ?

One should not underestimate that ( theoretically) 10 minutes, in no section.
It stacks up fast.
I think he was referring to the ones who moderate resources not the people who upload resources.

Level 34
I completely agree, this is not the first time he crossed the boundaries.

That was a sidenote. The central message of a post was about wether someone is obliged to do something. I think that it depends on whether the model\map\etc mod has an ability to ban\lower rep\etc.

The toxicity level of this thread has risen dramatically.

If you mean that toxicity level has risen after my post i'm sorry, that was not my intend.

I think that one way out of this situation is legitimizing a user-made review thing, but with lesser bureaucracy than now. In order to become a model\map\spell\etc reviewer one needs to undergo a series of tests, right? That sounds cool and is certanly a must-have. But what if someone writes a complete and more or less objective review in the comment section? Should mod review the model himself? Of cource. But the answer is not necessarily positive in times of emergency.

I think that during a crisis (and the overwhelming amounf of pending resources is certanly a form of crisis) accepting user reviews just for the sake of time saving and reducing the pending period can do the trick. Of cource, any review won't do. If the review comes from someone experienced who bothered to check all the stuff and wrote about it in his comment his or her comment should be accepted as a review.

Also, i am not realy speaking about skin\art\code\map reviews because i don't realy follow the situation there. But this also might apply to those sections as well! Considering that in order to rate a map one needs to play and (hopefuly) finish it no amount of mods will ever save this section from a shitload of pending resources and users don't seem to hesitate to write their reviews.

Once more, I am not complaining about there being three pages of models, maps or spells. I am saying they moderate unfairly in the sense of newer stuff gets moderated faster than some of the older ones.

Missed this one due to all the other things going on in this thread.

This makes sence actualy. I thknk that there can be no better reason to moderate models in a certain oder then the upload date. That way all the models will be moderated in their due time.

I think that one way out of this situation is legitimizing a user-made review thing, but with lesser bureaucracy than now. In order to become a model\map\spell\etc reviewer one needs to undergo a series of tests, right? That sounds cool and is certanly a must-have. But what if someone writes a complete and more or less objective review in the comment section? Should mod review the model himself? Of cource. But the answer is not necessarily positive in times of emergency.
well i mean the purpose of reviewers was to legitimize reviews from trusted users, in a sense. i've also seen mods cite a user review, particularly in the maps section. but how often do you see user reviews, and how often do you see one that's 'complete and more or less objective'? i don't think this is a solution.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey guys,

I have now been in touch with most model moderators and reviewers. They are all moderating models chronologically aside from a few exceptions here and there. So this problem is blown way out of proportions.

The moderator guidelines say that you should generally moderate chronologically. They are not forced. However, after this discussion I wanted to make sure that they mostly do it chronologically, and they do.

This is the list they look at when they moderate:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models.php?status=p&of=dateline&o=ASC&imporder=1

It orders by submission time and not update time. Perhaps that clears up something, I don't know.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Just checking in quickly to reply to some stuff.

The horde of pending map/model resources is definitely a problem, and it's one we're trying to sort out. The reason people get defensive is because that usually happens when people try to pin the blame on somebody. Especially in a situation where one side is sitting on all the answers. It's not like I've forgotten my past self being way fed up with trying to slug it out with past unreasonable staff members. I can understand both sides pretty well. So let me try and put this in clear perspective.

First, note that the amount of resources is not the issue in itself. The issue is that we — and based on the general consensus throughout the years, most of the site along with us — want them to go through the proper channels. To ensure that the assets are relevant and well made. That's what's taking time.

Say we wanted it to go purely by user rating (e.g. >3 gets approved), we can set that up and clear the entire section in a day. But with that we can no longer guarantee with a decent margin of error that the resources are fault free, optimized, decently made, that the rating actually reflects the quality of the resource, etc etc.

The best middle ground we found was adding the reviewer system. Which is an awesome boost to it definitely, but even with that it's not going to resolve itself as quickly as some would want it to.

If we want a decent system of approval, this is most likely going to take a little while. There's really no way to dodge that. We can't have our cake and eat it too.

I think that in cases when the moderating is done completely voluntarily(in a sence that it's not rewarded in any way) one can't blame the mod for a long waiting time. But that's not true in cases when the model mod has a right to ban people or other things like that. It means that responsibility comes with a neat reward-bonus of power and then the moderator should be mocked for a badly done job by the community. I don't whether anyone of the current mods has any sort of power\else reward though.
Why do think that being able to ban people is a bonus? It's not like we can take the hammer for live target practice or use it to to our own end. And it's not like I love removing people from the site or tidying up the shit they leave behind. I do it because I want the forums to better off than a cesspool.

Power and responsibility are two sides to the same coin. All we do with any power given to us is the job we've volunteered to do.

If you think disciplination in the forums is a perk, you've probably never tried it.

They can definitely refer to the review if they agree with it. We don't require people to reinvent the wheel when they don't need to. AFAIK references have been included in reviews several times.

I think that during a crisis (and the overwhelming amounf of pending resources is certanly a form of crisis) accepting user reviews just for the sake of time saving and reducing the pending period can do the trick. Of cource, any review won't do. If the review comes from someone experienced who bothered to check all the stuff and wrote about it in his comment his or her comment should be accepted as a review.
That sounds exactly like what the reviewer position is already in place for. We're definitely open to add more people to it, and are looking into it daily.