• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official "There are too many pending resources" Thread

Level 19
I think that the "spelling errors" checker would be way more useful for map-makers than moderators.
I suppose but it works both ways. if you find a map with over 900 spelling errors are you going to approve it or place it on pending?

same goes for a map with 900 imported filed and 500 files in use.

or a map with a loading time of 1 hour

Level 20
If you get a map with a ton of spelling errors, you will notice it without any tools as you play through it. On the other hand, if you're a map maker, it might be pretty easy to miss singular slip-ups and such a tool would be a great help in polishing your map.

Also, if I was a moderator, I wouldn't necessarily make a big deal out of it (unless there really was a ton of mistakes and it was obvious that someone didn't even bother to check for them), so I'd just approve it and ask the author within the review to do a spell-check.

Moreover, the tool that checks how many imported resources are not used - it would be useful for mapmakers as well. I'm not saying that moderators wouldn't like it, I'm just advocating for you uploading such tools into the tool section for everyone to use.

P.S. I hope your tool is smart enough to not count DISBTN icons as unused assets when the corresponding BTN is in use :)

Level 19
P.S. I hope your tool is smart enough to not count DISBTN icons as unused assets when the corresponding BTN is in use :)

huh thanks! that actually kills two birds with one stone. I forgot about the icons but now that you have mentioned it I can actually use that same information to insure you don't get any green block icons in map

thanks^-^

the whole idea behind this moderating tool is to reduce the time it would require to moderate a map. in order to do that I would like a moderator to be able to moderate a map without opening and playing it. which is a little ludicrous hence why I've limited the idea to simply placing a map in simple resources in order to reduce the load on moderators until the point the map qualifies to be properly assessed

I would like to include more functions a moderator might find useful. for instance I found out yesterday I could give moderators a preview of the maps loading screen, without them needing to load the map.

other great ideas such as that would surely benefit the hive as a whole, moderator and map maker:)

any more ideas?

Level 19
I think it sounds cool. While you are at it, check if the war3map.wtg file exists and make a note of it being protected, too. Also, check that all BTNs have an appropriate DISBTN. You can even use the "Show resources in use" and check if the names of all authors are in the strings inside the map.
I'm afraid my program will not work on protected maps, like like how your trig checker does not work on protected maps

I'm not sure what any of those acronyms mean, would you be so kind to enlighten me?

I noticed something.
no matter which map you load in my program you keep getting the same swear word detected
'ass bite'

now despite this being some what amusing. I need to know from which spell or ability does this text come from?

I tried looking it up with my program but it is part of the hard coded spells (which I can not read) that is being detected.

I suppose I could exclude these two words as swear words but I much rather prefer to exclude that sentence and detect all other swear words

Last edited:
Model section at 6 pages. Retera's model which is 6 months old still in Pending status (last page). Might want to deal with them before it spirals out.
@General Frank @PROXY @The_Silent

Dude, it's fine. I have moderated about +700 resources since the past 6 months.
Also, I do not feel to offend you, but please do not push the moderators and reviewers, we have real lives too, so you might consider that as well... just saying.

I understand and trust the capabilities of the people in command, but it's somewhat concerning now it's 6 pages so might as well make the staff more aware before it gets too heavy of a spiral. I understand the deal with RL though and no worries, no offense taken.

I'm glad you understand it.
Good work takes time and I don't want to haste myself doing a decent job.

While 6 months might sound relatively acceptable to some (not me) I think it is a worrying sign, as Daffa pointed out.

Logically speaking, if the rate of submissions is constant and the rate of moderation is also constant then it will continue to grow, eventually reaching 20 pages unless something is done.

Resource reviewing and moderation is a service that the Hive provides for the users for free. A manual moderation ensures that users have bug-free resources at their disposal.
As I said time and time again, good work takes time. Things will get done eventually.

Not to sound disrespectful, but maybe try to understand and be emphatic how reviewers and moderators work and that they also have private lives. Spell section might be less frequented than other resource section - I give you that.
Again, would you want to have overworked and super stressed out reviewers that can lose themselves in all or work? Do you want a buggy pile of resources that on one know if it works or not? I don't think you want that.

Reactions: pyf

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Maybe the model section has some sort of complicated process that my tiny brain cannot process but to me it is not that difficult to decide if a submission gets shoved into the trash can (substandard) or the "actually ok" section.
In that past when the mod had to justify a rating with objective (if possible arguments, I would understand.

Also, I have said this before and I will say it again:
I cannot understand why anyone would ever sign up for something they do not have the time for.

Scenario 1: There are a limited number of review/mod spots, in which case you should not hold the team done with 1 review per week.
Scenario 2: You can afford a limited yet higher quality reviews by getting more people on the staff team, in which case do that that.

If the section is hyper active it should not be that hard to find people that are good enough to decide if a submission is "ok" or "not ok"

Do not take the post literary by the way, made some exaggerations for comedic effect. Yes my humor sucks ok

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Scenario 1: There are a limited number of review/mod spots, in which case you should not hold the team done with 1 review per week.
Scenario 2: You can afford a limited yet higher quality reviews by getting more people on the staff team, in which case do that that.
Moderator positions do not seem to be as attractive as they used to be.
The last time we had an active map mod was like two years ago, the position has been vacant since.

Nowadays, we even have a Staff Job Openings thread because of the lack of staff members!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

That very active moderator is ShadowFury or am I wrong?

Reactions: pyf
Level 26
Nice to feel appreciated. :)
I really just signed up to clear the clog of maps in the pending section (since my own map was in the bottom of ~100 pending maps, and I wanted it approved :D ), and then stuck around a bit longer.

I think we should be really happy for the reviewers we have now. Without them the maps section would be plunged into chaos once again.
I'm not active enough to say for sure what's been going on in the maps section lately, but if we need a new map moderator, I think @deepstrasz would be an excellent choice, since he is both strict and fair, and I've never seen him loose his temper.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I applied for a map moderator position, but apparently I wasn't suitable for that position, although I reviewed a lot of maps around here, I always give supportive thoughts and what to improve, also, I'm active 24/7, but whatever :/

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
You can try applying for such position. I am not active here 24/7 and my review skills are quite old school which is darn strict in comparison to nowadays.
Sounds familiar.
Anyways, yes, the position is free to be taken atm, no reason to hold back any form of applications.

Let @deepstrasz be map mod so we can swim in rep sea :p
I always knew you were a rep whore! :p