• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Content Discussion [SPOILER]

Level 27
Hortnog is such a simp...
Hortnog is more like that one uncle that your kids love though, since he's bringing harmony to Rangul's dysfunctional mess of a family.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Hortnog's raising some red flags over here.
Also, I guess I should clarify my words from earlier, and by 'red flags', I mean him dying and nothing else. Guess I should have used the phrase 'death flags' instead.

A character who provides that much physical strength and martial ability is a useful tool for everyone. Let us not forget in terms of physical strength his clan is on top of the food chain you wouldn't want to disrupt the clan logistics and cohesion even Okri understands that.
People do a lot of dumb things for vengeance, like Rath who sacrifices the rest of his clan to kill Blen, or Redfist who burns down a town just because these poor sods tolerate Centaurs. If Okri falls into the same hole as these two did, she might be turned into a 'shadow' of her former self.

Last edited:
Level 21
Hortnog is such a simp...
I'll say it on behalf of anyone else that wants to, but doesn't want to deal with the potential fallout... jfc dude, please don't be so weird. People like you force Shar to have to put in overly-redundant dialogue like Vanessa calling him Uncle to make it clear it's not that kind of relationship - it can make the script become distracting. But even if it wasn't a familial relationship, maybe they can have normal camaraderie without you making it strange. Hortnog is a great character! In before: it was just a joke bro.

Last edited:
Level 20
People do a lot of dumb things for vengeance, like Rath who sacrifices the rest of his clan to kill Blen, or Redfist who burns down a town just because these poor sods tolerate Centaurs. If Okri falls into the same hole as these two did, she might be turned into a 'shadow' of her former self.
Well true but Okri seems way more tame than Rath, and her vendetta isn't more of a revenge rather than what I would call Honour Killing she is more than justified to seek the death of Destroyer who killed her father, her brother and exiled her and she clearly is thinking with her head (must be her human half) and isnt putting her vendetta before the overall well being of the orc kind.

Read the AQT.

Just a little light hearted trolling attempt Shar, that's all...No need to take everything I say seriously
I'll say it on behalf of anyone else that wants to, but doesn't want to deal with the potential fallout... jfc dude, please don't be so weird. People like you force Shar to have to put in overly-redundant dialogue like Vanessa calling him Uncle to make it clear it's not that kind of relationship
Jesus really? I didn't know that thank you so much for clarifying that to me Jay, what would have I done without you. I clearly missed the part where she called him uncle, yup yup, I also totally missed the AQT where clearly states the relationship between Vanessa and Hortnog.

Oh as a fun little note what do you actually mean by people like me? I don't remember you being around during the dark days of "Gardon is building a harem" days. Just putting this out there I wasn't part of that bunch since it seems you are strongly implying that.

As if the burden of having to open the second book time period by playing with the Orcs wasn't a crushing experience, I am coming to the realisation I cant do light hearted jokes on this thread anymore.

Level 27
Well true but Okri seems way more tame than Rath, and her vendetta isn't more of a revenge rather than what I would call Honour Killing she is more than justified to seek the death of Destroyer who killed her father, her brother and exiled her and she clearly is thinking with her head (must be her human half) and isnt putting her vendetta before the overall well being of the orc kind.
Tamer than Rath and Destroyer, yeah, but not tame at all. I said it due to this part in character lore. (that I just ripped from the newest chapter using the Editor)

"Alright, I will say it now before anyone else says it: I am not a "pure" Orc. I am a half-blood. My mother is an Orc, my father some human bastard. And no, there's no love story behind this. If I ever get my hands on that human, I will rip his black heart out and make him choke on it. [..] Eventually that Destroyer scumbag, the champion of the clan, found out that the chieftain was not my real father. He killed him for being "too weak to defend his wife against some Human" and took his place. Then this bastard killed my mother and exiled me. I almost died, many times. Only sheer willpower and my anger kept me alive. One day I will return to my clan and strangle that asshole. That day may come soon."

So she wants to choke her human father, strangle the Destroyer, and the things that keeps her going are willpower and anger, probably fueled by revenge.

But maybe Amari can be a good influence on her, so there's still hope. Rath goes all in with his vengeance and he dies, so she can be a good contrast to him, where she abandons her vengeful path to become a better Orc (or half-Orc).

On an unrelated note, can Okri teach the Skullblade Clan to tame Felhounds? And what's this "Gardon is building a harem? thing is about?

Level 20
On an unrelated note, can Okri teach the Skullblade Clan to tame Felhounds? And what's this "Gardon is building a harem? thing is about?
That is a rabbit hole you wouldn't want to go down on.

Being tamer than Rath does not mean you are a pacifist...Rath tends to take things to the extreme after all.

Level 20
I'll say it on behalf of anyone else that wants to, but doesn't want to deal with the potential fallout... jfc dude, please don't be so weird. People like you force Shar to have to put in overly-redundant dialogue like Vanessa calling him Uncle to make it clear it's not that kind of relationship - it can make the script become distracting. But even if it wasn't a familial relationship, maybe they can have normal camaraderie without you making it strange. Hortnog is a great character! In before: it was just a joke bro.
Jay... I really, really like your youtube channel... I love your videos man... but your attitude towards Legends of Arkain and its fanbase really shifted into a direction that I find concerning. In your past videos, you used to be so nice and even when you got salty (because LoA is hard) you found a way to maintain a positive attitude towards the game, and it's fans. But something has changed. You are VERY vocal about the things you dislike in Arkain, the storylines you find boring, bad, cheesy, etc. the "bad" design of some maps, and that's fine you have your opinion about things, that is okay. (Even when you have stated multiple times, that you find Arkain's gameplay "boring" to watch, or even play.) What is NOT okay, is bashing the fans of Arkain, and blaming them for things they are not responsible for, like the gameplay (Your narrative is, that because fans are "complaining" about missions, Shar is "forced" to change them, and then they become "worse") or the story (the whole Hortnog thing, Merlon's ships in the Pearl of Lor, etc.). You say whatever you want on your youtube channel Jay, I'm subscribed, because even when I don't agree with you on certain things, I still enjoy hearing different opinions (also I've been around since the Insurrection days haha... I've always enjoyed your content!). Lately, I've felt like your Arkain related commentary became a bit... judgemental? Look, this is a fanbase. If your experience is ruined, because someone on this forum ships x character with y, then you are too easily offended. So, what if someone ships Hortnog and Vanessa? What if someone ships Hortnog and Aridon? Everyone is free to have their own opinion, and this is a forum, where people can (in theory) freely share said opinions with each other. Everyone enjoys LoA in their own way. You are free to like the Destroyer, other people can like Sasrogarn, and we can all live together peacefully. (Like the dark trolls.) We just need to accept each others opinions. Even if a ship like Gardon and Rahandir will never, EVER be canon, people can still ship them, because... well they are entitled to have their opinion about things. People posting jokes or memes, can't really "ruin" Arkain... and making it clear that Hortnog and Vanessa consider each other family, multiple times is not a bad thing either. Also, what you might consider a weird thing, others might not. Your authoritative tone is really misplaced. Even Shar HIMSELF can't tell people what to think or not think. Sure, you can remove messages from the forum, that you don't like, but you can't tell people, how THEY should enjoy the game. That is everyone's own business. This forums is for fans to talk freely, and as long as jokes don't get toxic (personally attacking Shar or someone else in the community for example), NO ONE should silence the other. (Especially for having a different sense of humor, or a different opinion on something.) Legends of Arkain has created a community, and whether you like it or not, someone in that community might like something that you don't. Other people might find US very weird as well, arguing about a video game from the early 2000s, and yet, we have very strong feelings about it. It all comes down to perspective. You don't like the "Hortnog is a simp" joke, that's fine. Telling others that they are weird or stupid, or that they are ruining the script, because they are (somehow) "forcing" Shar to change it with their jokes and shipping, is very toxic. Legends of Arkain has a Fandom now. A Fandom has canon AND fanon, that's just the way it is. This is not a personal attack on you, or anything, but having opinions, or making jokes, (even if you think they are weird or stupid) on a forum is not a bad thing. That's what the forum is for, after all. ;) (Again I didn't mean to offend you with this, I think you are a very pleasant person, I really enjoy your videos, but attacking other people, because you think they are weird is not cool. Please don't take this the wrong way.)

Level 27
That is a rabbit hole you wouldn't want to go down on.
I've jumped down worse rabbit holes, and now you're getting me more curious.

Can't truly say I love a fanbase until I witness the most cursed and degenerate part of it.
Telling others that they are weird or stupid, or that they are ruining the script, because they are (somehow) "forcing" Shar to change it with their jokes and shipping, is very toxic. Legends of Arkain has a Fandom now. A Fandom has canon AND fanon, that's just the way it is. This is not a personal attack on you, or anything, but having opinions, or making jokes, (even if you think they are weird or stupid) on a forum is not a bad thing. That's what the forum is for, after all. ;) (Again I didn't mean to offend you with this, I think you are a very pleasant person, I really enjoy your videos, but attacking other people, because you think they are weird is not cool. Please don't take this the wrong way.)
This topic is quite a sensitive one to discuss, since one thing that's funny to someone can be annoying or even offensive to others. (Comedy is subjective, I guess.) I personally think we should treat this as water under the bridge.

After all, we're Warcraft players, and unlike those League of Legends players, we're more polite and less toxic. Should keep it that way.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Just a little light hearted trolling attempt Shar, that's all...No need to take everything I say seriously
Some of your viewpoints tend to be controversial, as you know, so you must see why even I
struggle sometimes being sure when it comes to you.
I suppose this trolling attempt of yours has been very successful this time, mon. Don't get used to it. :p
You are VERY vocal about the things you dislike in Arkain, the storylines you find boring, bad, cheesy, etc. the "bad" design of some maps, and that's fine you have your opinion about things, that is okay. (Even when you have stated multiple times, that you find Arkain's gameplay "boring" to watch, or even play.)
Absolutely fine for him (and anyone for that matter) to do that as long as it remains constructive.
I don't agree with all of Jay's feedback and I know that he too changes his mind about things he does
on screen when he goes through it again.

Merlon's ships in the Pearl of Lor
I take 100% responsibility for that because I was vocal about being annoyed with that constantly being brought
up to the point that it felt like some people (on YT as well as in other places) were just copy&pasting that point.
Since Jay and I have a good relationship, he knew how I felt and was also not happy with it. This is him forwarding
my own sentiments out of empathy rather than ill will.
While I didn't ask him to do such a thing (I will tell you myself if you guys annoy me too much :p), I think it is still
important that he did it because there's people in his YT audience who also bring up such points and do not follow
the forums, meaning they cannot see what I, as author, have to say about the matter.
I wouldn't consider it a personal attack against anyone in particular however but an overall statement about something
that is common not only for Arkain but literally every storyline ever. It exploded because there have been some weird
things going on in places outside of this forum (which means I cannot control them) that have affected both me and
Jayborino. I cannot speak for Jayborino but I think it is in everyone's interest to just enjoy Arkain together and watch
how the cruelty of Shar Dundred punishes you all while rewarding you with that sweet sweet lore.
Well, maybe only I enjoy my cruelty but that's your problem, not mine.
Anyway:
I personally think we should treat this as water under the bridge.
I highly recommend this since otherwise we're derailing from the topic of the thread.
Let cooler heads prevail - and whoever just called Aridon, I sent him back to his mountain.

I've jumped down worse rabbit holes, and now you're getting me more curious.
I don't want to see this matter brought up in this thread, I was very close to removing every reference to it from all posts
because it gives an irrelevant person with many multi accounts that posted inappropriate pictures and ideas more attention
than they deserve, especially after having been banned for many years now.
@DD Mikasa We later learned that 90% of the accounts were from the same person, btw. So it was one or two degenerates
rather than a big group as they wanted you to believe. Doesn't matter anymore however. Arkain having its own forum also
means I can control it more directly now instead of waiting for the mod responses which, unfortunately, were quite slow back
then and only occured upon total escalation (aka too late).
==========================================================================================
A few words regarding Okri:
She is definitely less angry than Rath but she is really, really, really unhappy about the Destroyer.

Level 20
I think it is in everyone's interest to just enjoy Arkain together and watch
how the cruelty of Shar Dundred punishes you all while rewarding you with that sweet sweet lore.
Well, maybe only I enjoy my cruelty but that's your problem, not mine.
But... I enjoy the suffering! :D For me, the sweet feeling of beating a very hard mission is a reward in itself.

Level 20
@nchp1903

Well the big chief summed it up for me regarding that topic. Me adding my thoughts on that would be unnecessary.

Some of your viewpoints tend to be controversial, as you know, so you must see why even I
struggle sometimes being sure when it comes to you.
I suppose this trolling attempt of yours has been very successful this time, mon. Don't get used to it.
Just a little for old times sake. 2022 Mikasa is way to old to be participating on active trolling. The troll badge is present but the shenanigans died a long time ago.

Level 12
Tamer than Rath and Destroyer, yeah, but not tame at all. I said it due to this part in character lore. (that I just ripped from the newest chapter using the Editor)

But maybe Amari can be a good influence on her, so there's still hope. Rath goes all in with his vengeance and he dies, so she can be a good contrast to him, where she abandons her vengeful path to become a better Orc (or half-Orc).
It actually really sad that Rath get roasted before Amari reunite with Rangul. It would be interesting how Rath and Amari interact each other.

Level 27
It actually really sad that Rath get roasted before Amari reunite with Rangul. It would be interesting how Rath and Amari interact each other.
If Hortnog is that one nice uncle, then Rath must be that one weird uncle (and maybe Grael before him too).

But... I enjoy the suffering! :D For me, the sweet feeling of beating a very hard mission is a reward in itself.
Pretty based if I have to say so myself. As for me, I enjoy having an extra item or two too.

That's why I love Orb stacking so much. Or Bladebane Armor stacking in the new Siege of Kome.

I don't want to see this matter brought up in this thread, I was very close to removing every reference to it from all posts
because it gives an irrelevant person with many multi accounts that posted inappropriate pictures and ideas more attention
than they deserve, especially after having been banned for many years now.
Holy. Sounds more serious than I thought, at least to Hive standard. Maybe I should not dig further.

On an unrelated note, can Okri teach the Skullblade Clan to tame Felhounds?
Also.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
They wouldn't get along.
On an unrelated note, can Okri teach the Skullblade Clan to tame Felhounds?
Gorthog wouldn't need to be taught that. Just give him some time and pokeballs.

Level 27
Grael is just outright stupid in my opinion. At least Rath have some self-preservation. Well i guess not anymore since we already in second era books :)
Rangul, Rath, Sasrogarn. The unholy trinity. Muh invasion, muh clan, and muh traditions.

In terms of gameplay, Rangul is the worse. Rath can drop meteors, fifteen of them. And his useless son can summon a volcano.

But what can Rangul do? Shake earth.

Level 27
Ah yes. My favorite Orc characters: Scepter of Healing and Orb of Lightning.

And with all the thing that Rangul did recently, he does not need to shake earth. He needs to touch grass instead.

Level 21
Wait, don't worry everyone, I was only joking.

Anywho, can you imagine Sas actually getting a redemption arc in True Story? It would somehow be the best and scariest possibility!

Level 10
True Story now enters Second Book territory. Huzzah! And wondering if these shiny new Ironfist Impalers will have bigger differences that a bit more attack for a bit less armor compared to ironfist Fighters.

Now though, regarding people sassing Rangul for continuing his invasion: While I'll join the party when he ditches Vanessa's concerns, it would also do to remember he didn't plan it for shit and giggles, but because of the quite valid, and welp founded, concern that whoever wins the Demons/Humans tug-of-war is coming for the Orcs next, unless they can secure a stronger position for themselves. He can't just cnacel such a move, once it started, it's basically Do or Die. Now rethinking the plans should be done though, although it would still have to be an invasion, since it's a bit late to change course now. And this is not like there was an alternative: alliance for lands would have required mutual trust and good faith, and by the time he plans his invasion, bit too late for that.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
And wondering if these shiny new Ironfist Impalers will have bigger differences that a bit more attack for a bit less armor compared to ironfist Fighters.
They can be upgraded to get increased range, meaning that they will be able to stand behind
other units and still attack.

Level 7
Hi everybody! I am currently playing the legends of Arkain, after having played the original separated acts a few months (year?) back.

Could you tell me if there is a consequence to killing the elven deserters in the "defense of home" mission? Regarding Lera's hunters, I remember that killing them made her an enemy, so I guess it's better to let her live...?

Level 21
Hi everybody! I am currently playing the legends of Arkain, after having played the original separated acts a few months (year?) back.

Could you tell me if there is a consequence to killing the elven deserters in the "defense of home" mission? Regarding Lera's hunters, I remember that killing them made her an enemy, so I guess it's better to let her live...?
As of now there is no negative for killing the deserters, plus you get a second base and access to a really good unit on an otherwise quite difficult map. The key phrase though is 'As of now' since no one except Shar can know if there will be any future consequences for any side quests.

Level 20
Just noticed that I actually forgot to post my review of Act IV so here you go.

Chapter 1: Possession :
  • I think I talked about this when the level came out so sorry if you have it noted already but it would be useful to have either a lumber mill or a graveyard by the mushrooms leading to the demons. It would help new players since it can be quite tricky to find where to harvest lumber in the early game.
  • It would be nice if the way the undead stopped Orgen's destruction of the tunnel entrances was either shown or explained (like tell that the Rohir managed to get a possessed dwarf in the demolition teams or something like that). The undead just stopping Orgen without explication makes him seem pretty incompetent.
Chapter 2: Green Wave :
  • Bear riders' description still states they have spell resistance.
Chapter 3: Pride of the Empire :
  • Allowing the player to play a mix of different factions is really cool, I wish more levels did it.
  • Choosing the Skullblade clan does not allow to train kodos.
  • I don't know if this is a bug or if I was really unlucky but Rise of the Clan never gave me units from the Ravaging Fire or the Iron Thunder clans.
  • After the offscreen battle between Harron and Zairmak, the battlefield should look more damaged (traces of flamestrikes and flames all around)
  • Typo in the end cinematic : "I refuse to belive" (I can't remember who said it)
Chapter 4: Betrayal :
  • Does Aedale really transform into Lisara right beside Harmos and Blen ? Maybe she should get something like infernal or doom as ultimate for this level.
Chapter 5: Bloodbath :
  • Aridon tells Krom he will command the forces of the Splecir Nexus and can choose an another nexus to support him but we only get to create units from whichever nexus we chose.
  • It would be nice if the Ejara nexus got a unique unit in place of the abomination. Maybe the Crypt knight ?
  • Shouldn't the Nerog be a unit for the Ardoz ? I know the corpses are the Ejara's but the overall theme of the unit seems to suit the Ardoz better. Also if they were given some ability like web, it would both help differenciate them from the Risen and give a decent anti-air to the Ardoz. It just feels wasted to see a combination of orc and nerubian be the same as a basic grunt.
  • Is destroying the skullblade stronghold supposed to give access to undead wyverns ? Because despite trying several times as the Ejara nexus, destroying it doesn't unlock anything.
  • When choosing the Rohir nexus, we can create meat wagons instead of disease teams.
  • The Frost Wyrms beeing part of the generic undead units available to all nexus feels really weird. Like, there is only one nexus which uses nerubian corpses but somehow there is enough dragon corpses for all nexus ? Where did Aridon get that many ? The undead already have gargoyles and destroyers and many nexus have a unique flyer so it shouldn't hurt to restrict undead dragons to the Splecir, the Ardoz and maybe the Ejara if they get around to enslave a couple of them.
End of Act 4: Carnage :
  • Deragan the warlock makes no sound when selected or given an order.
Since there is only one chapter in Act 5 I thought I'd review it too :

Interlude: Aftermath :
  • Typo in the Master of Shadows' speech : "Something about them always intruiged me"
  • Zairmak doesn't have his unholy aura.
  • Where did Hortnog get a ring of teleportation ? Has he bought it from an orc mage ?
Chapter 1: The Exiles :
  • This has already been reported but the huntress and shaman's models ar bugged.
  • Okri and the Shamans only say "want the way ?" when selected, "Done" when ordered to move and "cry havoc" when ordered to attack. It gets insufferable surprisingly quickly.
  • Troll ritualists have the same spell indicator as the witch doctors.
  • Having a healing source in the troll camp (like some permanent healing wards) would be very nice. At the moment, you are pretty much forced to go straight at the healing fountain to keep your units alive and new players would not know it exists.
That is all. I have finally finished replaying through the entire True Story and... my hard drive failed me a few days ago so guess who still doesn't have his items. :peasant-sad:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
he undead just stopping Orgen without explication makes him seem pretty incompetent.
They didn't stop him, they just managed to keep ONE of the exits unblocked.
I don't know if this is a bug or if I was really unlucky but Rise of the Clan never gave me units from the Ravaging Fire or the Iron Thunder clans.
Neither, design.
Shouldn't the Nerog be a unit for the Ardoz ?
They're a result of Ejara breeding and a healthy dosis of dark magic.
Let that sink in.

Level 20
They're a result of Ejara breeding and a healthy dosis of dark magic.
Oh. I wonder why I never considered they could be living beings instead of being made from different corpses. Some remnant of sanity maybe. I'll get that checked as soon as possible:eekani:

Level 19
Is destroying the skullblade stronghold supposed to give access to undead wyverns ? Because despite trying several times as the Ejara nexus, destroying it doesn't unlock anything.
The way to unlock that unit is to possess a enemy peon with saphira´s charm and then build the only available structure, then you can start producing the undead wyverns despite the nexus, you dont need to to it with Ejara (Trust me, we tried a LOT of things and the solution was simpler than it looks like)

The Frost Wyrms beeing part of the generic undead units available to all nexus feels really weird. Like, there is only one nexus which uses nerubian corpses but somehow there is enough dragon corpses for all nexus ? Where did Aridon get that many ? The undead already have gargoyles and destroyers and many nexus have a unique flyer so it shouldn't hurt to restrict undead dragons to the Splecir, the Ardoz and maybe the Ejara if they get around to enslave a couple of them.
You play as one nexus at a time not all of them, so the wyrms just supports the chosen nexus during the attack, not all of them at once.

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
Gentlemen you have the honor to be in the presence of

The new Van Durce.png

Level 27
What a magnificent beast this man is. Can't wait until I hear the glorious sound of him smashing the floor again.

The Humans really are bringing the drip to Arkain, one faction at a time. Seems like the Orcs and Undeads have to step up their game.

Level 27
After a ton of save-scumming, waiting for health regeneration, and Ensnare abusing (but no cheating), I proudly present to you peak Orc gameplay, featuring The Burning Islands, on Hard, rid of all Redfist forces (except the guys in the back, of course).

The only casualties are two Searaiders. A moment of silence for both of them, if you all will.

WC3ScrnShot_030722_210808_02.png

WC3ScrnShot_030722_210909_05.png

Also, there's a small bug with Oneeye's dialogue:
- Oneeye still says this line, even when he found the key before reaching the gate.

WC3ScrnShot_030722_210902_04.png

Level 29
Interlude
-Tornash is a hypocrite. He criticizes Whitefield for ignoring his superiors' orders, and yet he himself removed his armies from imperial command.
-Yeah, keep acting like that Dorten. Just don't act surprised once Vail accepts Gardon's offer.
-Zoian had it coming. Imagine if van Durce fount out that she sent a portion of her army to keep an eye on Greymoore, rather than having it aid against either the orcs or the demons.
-So Greymoore and Hamos are accused of high treason. What about your son-in-law, hmm? He aided Genethas and even left in the middle of the battle against the orcs.
-And in a matter of minutes, van Durce just made everyone in the room hate him.
"PETTYNESS" --> "PETTINESS"

Act 5 Chapter Two
-Nothing to add, since I only noticed few differences compared to the one from SOB.

Level 29
Whitefield fell in battle against Gardon, having sided with Retka
Tornash was killed by Commander Thorn.
Talk about irony.

Whitefield criticized Tornash for causing dissension. He later sides with a traitor that caused a war on two kingdoms.

Tornash felt that the Imperials were incompetent and ordered his men to distance themselves from the imperial command. He gets killed by an imperial and his troops are ordered to obey the new chain of command.
Btw, he is called Torash in the SOB.