• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

Level 4
Yeah, that's the only model that I saw using texture coordinate rotation keys, so while it's on my TODO list, I never bothered implementing it either.
If you end up implementing it, share please.

you can do it with Warcraft model Editor. even edit it use notebook in MDL.

In my mind ,I think the only trouble is that In max you cant set loop UV animation.

And cant Render Bliizard.
=======> if there is a render window like ARTtools , NeoDex is the God work.

Thanks blinkboy again。

Yeah, that's the only model that I saw using texture coordinate rotation keys, so while it's on my TODO list, I never bothered implementing it either.
If you end up implementing it, share please.

hmn, could implement it but 3ds max uses euler angles for unwrap rotation so it could generate gimbal locks.

Anyways if you want to implement it on your viewer, you need to convert the UVs to UVW space with W starting on 0.0. Apply the transformation matrix and then reproject from UVW back to UVs. All rotations are along (0,0,0) as pivot point.

uduuduuud said:
you can do it with Warcraft model Editor. even edit it use notebook in MDL.

In my mind ,I think the only trouble is that In max you cant set loop UV animation.

And cant Render Bliizard.
=======> if there is a render window like ARTtools , NeoDex is the God work.

Thanks blinkboy again。

a previewer would be nice but I doubt it would happen.

My current TODO list:
* fix collision shapes and tvertex animations
* create the Sc2 migrator plugin which transforms a NeoDex Scene into Sc2ArtTools scene.

Level 12
My current TODO list:
* fix collision shapes and tvertex animations
Do you know when you will have time to implement this? A current project of mine would require a combination of texture animations..

Oh and btw, what's wrong with collision shapes?

Level 1
Hello,

I want to ask how to set up Art Tools Skinning into 3dsmax

When I install NeoDex,
it shows that NeoDexAnimationTools need Art Tools Skinning

Level 22
Hi, this might be a noob question but I'm having problems with Neodex,
Neodex exporter does not export a certain geoset when I edited the geoset with

Edit - Poly.
147140d1438437781-neodex-2-7-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-capture.jpg

My goal is to remove (backspace, not delete) edges and vertices to reduce the overall vertices of the model without creating holes. But whenever I modify it, that certain edited geoset is not exported and completely removed.
Anyone know how to solve this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 287
Level 39
Hi, this might be a noob question but I'm having problems with Neodex,
Neodex exporter does not export a certain geoset when I edited the geoset with

Edit - Poly.
147140d1438437781-neodex-2-7-wc3-modeling-kit-3dsmax-gmax-capture.jpg

My goal is to remove (backspace, not delete) edges and vertices to reduce the overall vertices of the model without creating holes. But whenever I modify it, that certain edited geoset is not exported and completely removed.
Anyone know how to solve this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It needs to be Editable Mesh for the exporter to recognize it as a geoset. Just convert it to Edit Mesh and it should work.

Level 15
Hi, it's me again. A couple months ago I said that Neodex not working on my 3ds Max 13. So now I formatted my hard disk, whole hard disk on my laptop. Install Windows 10, and install 3ds Max 13 again. Then I tried Neodex and it's still the same, weird animation on imported mdx. But other people who used 3ds Max 2013 have no problem with Neodex :( Maybe my 3ds Max 13 is buggy or something. Well, I am still able to importing by import with3ds Max 2009 and export as other format and import it to 3ds Max 13. I am just share my experience, no need to respond to this :)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hi, how to avoid unification of normals?
You can't. It's in the spec of the MDX model format that vertices can have only 1 normal.

You can create seperate normals by duplicating the vertices.

But why would you want that anyway? Un-merged normals look terrible with the WC3 shading, as they will create sharp shading contures instead of smooth diffuse lighting.

I tried to export a model but got "Unknown system exception", when I did it in Debug mode this line was highlighted:

"local found = ArrayFindItem matrices bonegroup"
What does it mean?

weird I need more details like full, log 3ds max version.

ENAleksey said:
Hi, how to avoid unification of normals?

export smoothgroups.

I'm trying to port some models from Source format (.SMD) to MDX. I converted everything to Editable Mesh before converting but this error happened: (Red is the line highlighted by the listener)
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 										Bones Section																  --

fn ObjectChecker a b = a.maxObj == b

fn ObjectChecker2 a b = a.mdlObj.maxObj == b

fn LoadMDLObject obj =
(
	local index = ArrayFindItemEx Wc3Objects obj ObjectChecker
	if index != 0 then
	(
		Wc3Objects[index]
	)
	else
	(
		mdl = MDLObject ()
		mdl.maxObj = obj
		if classOf obj == Biped_Object then
			mdl.pivot = obj.transform.pos
		else
			mdl.pivot = obj.pos
		mdl.name = obj.name
		-- a terrible way to fix the issue, but meh no time to think more
		if classOf obj == FakeObject then obj = obj.ref
		if obj != undefined then
		(
			mdl.transformations = GetTransformations obj
			-- IK Affected bones may have troubles with inheritance
			if not (isIKAffected obj) then
			(
				local n = getInheritanceFlags obj
				if n[1] == false and n[2] == false and n[3] == false then mdl.dontInheriteTranslation = true
				if n[4] == false and n[5] == false and n[6] == false then mdl.dontInheriteRotation = true
				if n[7] == false and n[8] == false and n[9] == false then mdl.dontInheriteScale = true
			)
			mdl.billboardType = getBillboard obj
			mdl.cameraAnchored = getCameraAnchored obj
		)
		else mdl.transformations = TransformationData ()
		append Wc3Objects mdl
		mdl
	)
)

fn LoadBone obj geoset =
(
	[COLOR="Red"]local index = ArrayFindItemEx BonesMeshRef obj ObjectChecker2[/COLOR]
	if index != 0 then
	(
		local index2 = findItem BonesMeshRef[index].geosets geoset
		if index2 == 0 then
			append BonesMeshRef[index].geosets geoset
	)
	else
	(
		local mdl = LoadMDLObject obj
		local mdlBone = Wc3Bone ()
		mdlBone.mdlObj = mdl
		mdl.sub = mdlBone
		append mdlBone.geosets geoset
		append BonesMeshRef mdlBone
		BoneCounts = BoneCounts + 1
		index = BoneCounts
	)
	index
)

Last edited:
I'm trying to port some models from Source format (.SMD) to MDX. I converted everything to Editable Mesh before converting but this error happened: (Red is the line highlighted by the listener)
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 										Bones Section																  --

fn ObjectChecker a b = a.maxObj == b

fn ObjectChecker2 a b = a.mdlObj.maxObj == b

fn LoadMDLObject obj =
(
	local index = ArrayFindItemEx Wc3Objects obj ObjectChecker
	if index != 0 then
	(
		Wc3Objects[index]
	)
	else
	(
		mdl = MDLObject ()
		mdl.maxObj = obj
		if classOf obj == Biped_Object then
			mdl.pivot = obj.transform.pos
		else
			mdl.pivot = obj.pos
		mdl.name = obj.name
		-- a terrible way to fix the issue, but meh no time to think more
		if classOf obj == FakeObject then obj = obj.ref
		if obj != undefined then
		(
			mdl.transformations = GetTransformations obj
			-- IK Affected bones may have troubles with inheritance
			if not (isIKAffected obj) then
			(
				local n = getInheritanceFlags obj
				if n[1] == false and n[2] == false and n[3] == false then mdl.dontInheriteTranslation = true
				if n[4] == false and n[5] == false and n[6] == false then mdl.dontInheriteRotation = true
				if n[7] == false and n[8] == false and n[9] == false then mdl.dontInheriteScale = true
			)
			mdl.billboardType = getBillboard obj
			mdl.cameraAnchored = getCameraAnchored obj
		)
		else mdl.transformations = TransformationData ()
		append Wc3Objects mdl
		mdl
	)
)

fn LoadBone obj geoset =
(
	[COLOR="Red"]local index = ArrayFindItemEx BonesMeshRef obj ObjectChecker2[/COLOR]
	if index != 0 then
	(
		local index2 = findItem BonesMeshRef[index].geosets geoset
		if index2 == 0 then
			append BonesMeshRef[index].geosets geoset
	)
	else
	(
		local mdl = LoadMDLObject obj
		local mdlBone = Wc3Bone ()
		mdlBone.mdlObj = mdl
		mdl.sub = mdlBone
		append mdlBone.geosets geoset
		append BonesMeshRef mdlBone
		BoneCounts = BoneCounts + 1
		index = BoneCounts
	)
	index
)

did you skin back the models?

Is this works without having Warcraft install in computer?
Because my computer with warcraft can't handle 3ds max well (Lag like hell)
while i am thinking of using 3ds max on the other computer and after convert to mdx transfer to my computer with warcraft

(And work on Mac?)
If Yes Im switching from blender to 3ds max

It does not need warcraft.

Also it works on macs if you use bootcamp or wine.

Wine: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
I can't remember if I asked this before.
Does NeoDex export normals now ?

I think I remember the old versions not exporting any changes to normals made in max so I had to use mdlvis.
Now I would like to add volume based normals to foliage and since I'm still using .78b after reinstall and lazy to update :p I wonder if the new versions have this functionality.

Also I'm assuming exporting smooth groups just cuts the model and duplicates vertices on the group seams or does wc3 handle it natively ?
As in, is this saved in the model file itself as duplicate verts much like when you create UVW seams, bumping the filesize of the mdx ?

Level 16
3ds max 2014 + NeoDex problem

Hello! I've recently started getting into 3ds max, and wanted to export some models into mdx with existing animations, but every time I do it, this happens:

attachment.php

No matter what model I try to export it just attaches some vertices correctly and some are not connected to bones at all, that model already was mdx btw, so I wanted to check how will it export already working model. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 397
Hello! I've recently started getting into 3ds max, and wanted to export some models into mdx with existing animations, but every time I do it, this happens:

attachment.php

No matter what model I try to export it just attaches some vertices correctly and some are not connected to bones at all, that model already was mdx btw, so I wanted to check how will it export already working model. Any thoughts?

Hmn, looks weird, try importing directly to the game rather than mdlvis first, if the model works fine in game, then it means mdlvis can't read NeoDex's mdx files correctly. So you may need to use War3ModelViewer to resave your models.

Level 16
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the original* (EDIT: 2) model works fine in wc3, I will check your solution in a second! :)

Edit:

Sadly the solution doesn't work ;c I can give you the model itself, maybe my 3ds max is wrongly configured? Or maybe 2014 isn't the best to use Neodex with? :<

EDIT: 3

The converted model does the same strange thing in the game.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 16
Sorry for the late responce, gmail didn't bump me about a post :S

A small info, the one who made this model + animations said that he is using 3ds max 2005 and Wc3 Art Tools :C I have windows 10 and 3ds max 2005 won't install properly, meaning that I can't use Wc3 art tools regardless. I'm starting to think that the problem lies in the 3ds max 2014 itself :S

Attached the model, I hope it works fine for you, which will mean that I just need another version of 3ds max, if not... Well... Hopefully that won't be the case.

Attachments

• SaberKing.rar
    579.3 KB · Views: 52
I got the
"local found = ArrayFindItem matrices bonegroup" error again when I re-export (a MDX file that I previously imported) into MDX.
Alternatively, when I convert the meshes into Editable Poly prior to exporting, the exporting process runs smoothly without error, but the exported file has no meshes.

I attached the log file.

Attachments

• NeoDexSceneParser.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 59
Level 16
Which version of 3ds max do you have? The model looks pretty weird. Kinda corrupted. Was the original model made in milkshape?

I'm using 3ds max 2014, model looks fine in Mdl Vis, Magos (War 3 model editor) has problems with models exported with Blizzard Art Tools which is on 3ds max 5, and yes it was animated in 3ds max 5 by my Chinese friend. The thing is, the same problem happens to any model that I export as mdx, meaning that half of the vertices aren't attached to the proper bones. I can provide additional screenshots if you want.

What 3ds max do you use and have you used your own plugin to export mdx?

Level 4
haven't seen you for a long time. :)
I have already forget old NEodex problem ,I dont remember whether these questions have been proposed.
personally ,I hope you don‘t spend all your time on NEodex SC2 surport.and fix these issues;
【S】 I have a very strange bug 。 exported mdx file can’t open by war3ModelEditor。

:“Unknown tag “”in Node ” Or some “。。Tv 。。。”error ,
It‘s easy to fix, drag mdx to MdlxConv.exe and get mdl,then darg mdl to MdlxConv.exe get correct mdx.
It’s really wasting time ,since Neodex dont have an arttool’s Model viewer.
I spend plenty time to test models.
I think I find some reason:
I set most of the (bone mesh)controllers to linear controllers.(Bezier and other controllers will cause animation trembling.)
It seems Neodex mdxexporter.ms can't export linear frame with flat line started and ended,that will cause serious error.
that mean if i set an object several key frame,but 0 -10(10-30 =》stand),
with nothing move 、rotate、 scale ,then mdx exported will error.
export mdl is fine with this problem,but mdl exporter is very easy to crash.

【B】 Tvertices animation ,UV animation can’t set loop

【B】add Wc3AttachPoint.ms "Alternate" "Rear"
and NeoDex Toolkit-NeoDex_Exporter.mcr ,"Alternate" "Rear"

【A】animation tools ,add start and ending keys to object:
this only add start keys

【B】
Obj:SNDXAUGA
Obj:SNDXAUGS
hehe,if you add this,you will creat an Infinite corrupted model
this two attachment is dreadlord's morph sound ,Blizzard never use them ,you cant find these two sound wav in MPQ either.

【A】
mdx importer cant import object Visible/unvisible (on/off controller) correctlly,the time and frame is wrong.

【B】
sequence manager is an useful tool ,I hope you can Finish it.

@Unryze oh that explains, send me the original model (the one without touches). Neodex does not recognize well Art Tool exported models.

@dtnmang hmn, show me the steps you are doing to install it.

@uduuduuud

1st MDLVis models add an extra chunk that is not mdx standard, the best is to reconvert them with magos.

2nd More of a 3ds max problem, it can de done through some simple maxscript.

3rd okay on attachments.

4th They should be able to add end keys.

5th damn, that happens to some models, it's hard to translate wc3 notation to ON/OFF (I have recoded that algorithm like 4 times already)

6th Sequence Manager is great overall, I had higher plans for it.

I'm currently not working on Sc2 NeoDex. I'm working on a new programming language I call "Wormhole" which generates code to python, maxscript, c++ and Haskell. The idea of wormhole is that it can help you represent file formats and then generate code to read those file formats in specific languages. My current idea is to generate MDX and M3 libs and fuse them into Sc2 ArtTools and allow you to use it for both, Wc3 and Sc2 modeling. It should also be able to import D3 and WoW models.

Level 16
About the model, it was made in art tools, the problem doesn't lay just with it, the mdx export doesn't export ANY models correctly, I will upload another model that was animated in mdl vis, so you could compare them, as I've checked a dozen of them, and the animations are always exported fine, but the vertex attachments are not, they are partially lost, somehow.

Here is another test model, hopefully it will be helpful.

Attachments

• Ruler.rar
    490.2 KB · Views: 46
About the model, it was made in art tools, the problem doesn't lay just with it, the mdx export doesn't export ANY models correctly, I will upload another model that was animated in mdl vis, so you could compare them, as I've checked a dozen of them, and the animations are always exported fine, but the vertex attachments are not, they are partially lost, somehow.

Here is another test model, hopefully it will be helpful.

Try extracting a model from the game and import/export it.

Also I need certain info: which 3ds max version are you using.

EDIT: I've looked into the model and it appears to be buggy for NeoDex. I'm not sure what can be causing it.

EDIT 2: Seems like an exporter problem (the importer looks fine), try downgrading to NeoDex 2.65, 2.61 or 2.6.

Last edited:
Level 2
hello
i've some problems with exporting models in .mdx
here is a test zombie models (contain one simple 'stand' animation)...
made and animated in blender, exported to .fbx
i import it in Max... there aren't any problems so far (looks good, animation imported right)
problems appear when i try exporting it in .mdx...
the result model has only a half of its original mesh and animation is messy
(guess some problem with skining)
could you help me?
3ds max 2014

Attachments

• zi.zip
    251.4 KB · Views: 41
hello
i've some problems with exporting models in .mdx
here is a test zombie models (contain one simple 'stand' animation)...
made and animated in blender, exported to .fbx
i import it in Max... there aren't any problems so far (looks good, animation imported right)
problems appear when i try exporting it in .mdx...
the result model has only a half of its original mesh and animation is messy
(guess some problem with skining)
could you help me?
3ds max 2014

Well many problems, to be honest, first no materials. Second, it imports a quad model instead of a mesh model, third you need to set animations correctly.

I suggest you export using obj from blender.

Level 2
I suggest you export using obj from blender.

no, exported directly to .fbx...

Well many problems, to be honest, first no materials

im trying now to get animation right and don't care about materials\textures...
can it cause problems..?

Second, it imports a quad model instead of a mesh model

before export i select mesh, go to modifier panel and add "mesh select" (without doing this neodex wont export mesh at all)
to be honest i never worked with 3dsmax... is there a right way to do this..?

third you need to set animations correctly.
are you talking about setting note in track sheet..?