• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
OK, I've already posted a WIP, so now here is my final entry.

Schizophrenia doesn't mean a bunch of thrilling hallucinations. It is a mental illness, so it also has moderate forms.
In my entry the main element is a clock. It's ticking is maddening.

The screenshot of the program FLP.JPG
The entry View attachment Going Medievally Nuts.mp3

Level 13
This is my final entry and here is a screenshot of the program I used.
attachment.php

1.) 00:00 - 00:48 "walking without destination"
2.) 00:49 - 01:21 "losing mind"
3.) 01:22 - 01:40 "calm down"
4.) 01:41 - 02:40 "relapse"

Attachments

• Schizophrenia Bhusta.wav.MP3
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
  • Screeny.jpg
    Screeny.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Probably my last wip before my final, filled in much of that gap in the percussion, messed with levels more, etc. Just got to fill in some more of the details and clean it up a little.

http://www.box.net/shared/sasl9vzqor

Edit, okay here's my final.
I don't have time atm to write in the explanation but I'll do that later when I get the time.

(dang, goes .02 Mb over the limit, going to box it for previewing conveniance)

http://www.box.net/shared/zfy7li58ko

Okay as for the explanation, my initial idea was to have the piece start out very clear, peaceful almost in nature and then slowly degrade into a mess of glitch sounds - but as you can see that's not exactly how it happened. As the piece goes on, it adds more and more influences from different genres - starting with a simple drum beat, and then throwing in other factors like dubstep style bass lines until it it reaches a calm. At this point, it this point the melody becomes more and more dissonant as the backgrounds build up, it reaches a point of silence, and then breaks - ending in a final frenzy in which understanding actually finally becomes clear (the realization of your own insanity, evidenced by the lack of dissonance). After that it fades out on a solemn note.

Last edited:
Level 19
I'd like to start judging this Tuesday since I've got time then.
Could anyone list all the tracks for me in the first post?:cute:
I'm a lazy person!

Level 12
Are you not including JetFang because he submitted after the deadline, his piece contains more than 30 seconds of silence, or because you forgot?

Level 6
wow at least someone answered me in the past 4 or 5 hours!
..Humm..man...I am waiting out here for some hours...I messaged Watchman(no answer), I messaged whoever edited the first post(I think Wherewolf did...), and still no answer(they were ON!)...please if I am not allowed to participate in this contest anymore, tell me!

No Drama intended...

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1877208-post178.html
This is my entry in case you need a shortcut!

Level 6
What would be the problem? I had the entry posted way before the deadline:D...Thanks Wherewolf...With no members responding to any of my messages, I thought I was desqualified!

Level 10
OK, I watched this thread and all participants' work for a while now. I also considered to join or judge, but decided against it because I don't have so much time at the moment and wanted to get over some other things first. Also, I think the contest's theme is very difficult to describe, even in words, and not easier in music. Maybe I'll join again for the next music contest.
Nevertheless nice to see so many interesting submissions! I just took the time to listen to all of them and pick my vote... so I'm finished with my raw-judging for the poll and where is it?! Mods, poll please! :goblin_boom:

Sorry for the impacience (which is not to be taken too seriously)... :wink:

Level 19
Finished judging the first 4 contestants from the youtube link Wherewolf made.
That means for now the judging for Bhusta, Cobra B, Deepblade and Devine is done. But I want to finish all before I release them, because I want to take a look at them again after I've completed them all.

The way I judge is like this:
I've got 100 points to spend (for easy calculation)
30 for the Theme,(since after all, sticking to the theme is the most important thing since else anyone could just make a song and win a contest by making the things they always do already) 20 for Creativity, 15 for their use of Rhytm/Tonation, 20 for the composition in general and 15 for the structure of the song.

It's obvious that the theme matters.
Creativity and the general composition kinda look like eachother, while there is one important difference. I can make a totally awesome pop song that looks just like a song that already excists. Not very creative, but still a very good general composition;-). The structure of the song is also important. Is it repetive? Does it have a good intro or outro, or doesn't it need one? All small aspects to the structure. And the Rhythm/Tonation is also important. False notes means bad tonation. Good use of keys means a good tonation.

Level 12
Oh shit! I can't believe I didn't notice this!

The mp3 version of my piece that I posted was the wrong one, with the bulk of the finished version missing. I can't believe I did that.

I'm terribly sorry for what trouble this may cause, but would you mind editing the video, poll, and zipped file to contain this proper version (which is the one contained in the video I uploaded to youtube.) I'll edit my original post.

Attachments

• Fracture Final.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 76
Level 19
Oh shit! I can't believe I didn't notice this!

The mp3 version of my piece that I posted was the wrong one, with the bulk of the finished version missing. I can't believe I did that.

I'm terribly sorry for what trouble this may cause, but would you mind editing the video, poll, and zipped file to contain this proper version (which is the one contained in the video I uploaded to youtube.) I'll edit my original post.

Ahhhh!! That explains why it was so short!:D
No problem for me to judge it again. It was pretty good. I was just disappointed it was so short:(

Level 10
Ahhhh!! That explains why it was so short!:D
No problem for me to judge it again. It was pretty good. I was just disappointed it was so short:(
That's exactly what I thought. Your submission really was very short cobra, and I wondered why you of all people should submit such a short piece (since I know you already made much longer ones that were pretty good). Now this is explained... well it is not exactly with the rules (submitted is submitted, especially after the deadline), but I think you should not need this, so I agree to accept your final correction. :goblin_yeah:

So this might even influence my poll decision... I'll have to relisten to the pieces. :wink:

Btw @ Teuncreemers: I think you should not "release" your judging to anyone but Wherewolf until the poll has finished to prevent influencing it... probably you know that but your post above suggested you do not. :wink:

Level 2
Original:
All submissions must be complete and submitted 5 weeks after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on 20 February 2011 and conclude on 27 March 2011, 11:59 GMT.

The deadline shall be extended by ONE week if the majority of the participants agree. 5 weeks is pretty reasonable though, so try to finish in time please.

I usually say "11:59 PM, GMT" in contest end times to avoid conclusion

so basically when the date is the 27th and this clock hits 11:59 PM, the contest is over

Clarified the date. Tomorrow, at 11:59 GMT, it's over.

... sure it's (such) a shame, but in my opinion it's NOT FAIR if you reprieve cobra ... deadline is deadline ! ... pls disqualify me if im wrong

Edit: Sorry i was wrong !!!

Last edited:
Level 2
original:

dude - its NOT less a day - its over 2 weeks !!! sure noone will die (lol)
but it is how it is - deadline = deadline ...

you can say and think what you want - but it still wouldn't be fair...

Edit: Sorry i was wrong !!!

Level 12
... sure it's (such) a shame, but in my opinion it's NOT FAIR if you reprieve cobra ... deadline is deadline ! ... pls disqualify me if im wrong

What's not fair about it? I didn't upload a completely new version out of the blue. I had already uploaded the version I just provided in a youtube video which I posted in my original submission post, and I just accidentally clicked the wrong one when I chose the actual file to upload to here. I'm surprised no one noticed the discrepancy between the two versions (the youtube one and the one here) before me, to be honest. Since I technically uploaded two versions by accident (and I uploaded them both before the submission date) a decision must be made about which one is the correct one, and I am simply clarifying that the correct version is the one found in the youtube video, not the originally uploaded file. Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.