• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
@Lich Prince is that a problem?? Yes I thought about some rap songs I listened, that sounded "mad"...and where it is writing that I'm allowed only with orchestral, non-beat music?!

Level 6
I did Watchman, and I love it!:D...
But it wasn't my point...my point was, that is no limit in the style, and he said mine sounded like rap, yes it kinda does, because it has that Kicks and Snares and Hats, mixted into a Beat!...but I do not see the problem in that:D

Edit: BTW, I've been working on the song lately, and here is what I came with!
Edit 2: WherewolfTherewolf I motivated my style pick!

Attachments

• SkizopfhreniaWIP2.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 41

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Snapping at Lich Prince: Is there a WIP deadline ? (chuckling).

Attachments

• deepstrasz-zchyz(the one screenshot).jpg
    deepstrasz-zchyz(the one screenshot).jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 79
  • deepstrasz-Zchyz.mp3
    782.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 30
http://soundcloud.com/smoke_your_veggies/schiz-private/s-3a7fR
This is my WIP. It's supposed to be a kind of sad/miserable beginning of the track.
After that, it'll go kinda nuts (like my entry in the last contest).
I'm not sure how I'll do this but meh :D
I still might do something else though.
Genre: Electro (Sorta influenced by trance)
I'm trying to get better at producing, not really composing, so I'm going to put a lot of effort in the production whereas the composition might be... shitty :D

Level 30
This is not very schizophrenic in my opinion. It sounds more like some sort of dance tune.
Read my description.
This thread is nothing for you. You better stay out of it. You are going to trigger a shitstorm so big that this thread will end up a drama.
I can see it coming. Not that I'm going to flame you or anything, it's just that... LEARN TO READ.
Also, if you can't see past genres, you shouldn't comment at all for your opinion is an intolerant and neglectable one.

Level 10
Allright, I've tried to record my WIP for quite some time now, and I've finally made it. Here is the base theme that I will be working my way around, a piano, and an Organ so far. It's very short right now, though.

Attachments

• Chemistry.mp3
    226.9 KB · Views: 82
Level 10
Do you know squat about music creation?

Nobody asked you how much you know about music creation before you joined. If you read the rules, vast musical knowledge isn't required to join.

Stop trying to cause drama or discourage the competition. If you trigger a shitstorm, I swear I shall have you disqualified somehow.

@JetFangInferno: OMG NEW AVATAR THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!

Level 10
Nobody asked you how much you know about music creation before you joined. If you read the rules, vast musical knowledge isn't required to join.

Stop trying to cause drama or discourage the competition. If you trigger a shitstorm, I swear I shall have you disqualified somehow.

@JetFangInferno: OMG NEW AVATAR THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!

Well. I am in no way trying to cause drama. But what I meant was, if you don't know how anything about music, you really aren't in a very good position to win.

And how on earth are you going to get me disqualified?, I mean, wouldn't it be like, very hard.

Level 19
I'll do my best to judge it all fair. No worries.
I've got quite much of musical knowledge since it's my study.
On the other hand the result is by far more important then if the theory behind it is all true. But if I have the feeling the person making the music had no clue making it he get's some minus points. Then if that same person succeeded in making the song really good or suit the style very good then I could scrap those minus points.
Just trust me that I'll do fair judging;-)

Level 10
@Teuncreemers: I trust you will do just fine. If it's not too much to ask, It would be great if you would have wouldn't have any delays with your judging, when the time comes.

@Krl70
I understand that, but you aren't in a good position to judge if others are appropriate to join the contest. People might take that as hostility and could snap at you, causing *DUM DUM DUM* drama. Also, last contest, Pyritie and Whenwolf, the host, disqualified AoP as a judge because of the drama he started, so I'm guessing it's quite possible to do that with contestants too. If you want to give any criticism, criticize the contestants' WiPs/songs, not the contestant himself.

Level 10
@Teuncreemers: I trust you will do just fine. If it's not too much to ask, It would be great if you would have wouldn't have any delays with your judging, when the time comes.

@Krl70
I understand that, but you aren't in a good position to judge if others are appropriate to join the contest. People might take that as hostility and could snap at you, causing *DUM DUM DUM* drama. Also, last contest, Pyritie and Whenwolf, the host, disqualified AoP as a judge because of the drama he started, so I'm guessing it's quite possible to do that with contestants too. If you want to give any criticism, criticize the contestants' WiPs/songs, not the contestant himself.

Allright. But can we just end that conversation here?

@Teuncreemers: Sounds good. Happy judging.

Level 10
Devine, you're in my territory now, and if you start that again.....

But nevertheless, Teun's a reliable judge and we'll probably get a few more judges, especially towards then end when some people just don't have the time to enter themselves but can still help by judging.

I think you should generalize that first sentence.
*cocky statement* My friend Whenwolf here happens to be a mod and a contestant so try not to anger him or he'll EAT YOU!

Also, I have no doubt that Teun will prove to be a good judge, but regarding others, I think we should pick the best and most reliable, not just anybody.

Level 35
Sounds pretty awesome, Devine. Here are some remarks:

(1) From 1:08 to 1:36, there is little progression within the piece because it's just bouncing back and forth between the previous melodies.
(2) From 1:36 to 1:50 I really like how the "insanity" starts weaving itself into the melody by slowly rising in volume and distorting the pitch.
(3) At 1:50, though this is just a personal preference, I think you can build up more strongly into a dramatic bass drop, followed by some harder beats plus what you already have. I think you may find inspiration from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtpK3Xd330.
(4) Your dubstep part is not very strong compared to the previous parts. From my interpretation, the dubstep part is where insanity kicks in so it needs to really sound crazy. Maybe a little more grit to the bass and more "oscillations" would be nice.

Level 30
Sounds pretty awesome, Devine. Here are some remarks:

(1) From 1:08 to 1:36, there is little progression within the piece because it's just bouncing back and forth between the previous melodies.
(2) From 1:36 to 1:50 I really like how the "insanity" starts weaving itself into the melody by slowly rising in volume and distorting the pitch.
(3) At 1:50, though this is just a personal preference, I think you can build up more strongly into a dramatic bass drop, followed by some harder beats plus what you already have. I think you may find inspiration from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtpK3Xd330.
(4) Your dubstep part is not very strong compared to the previous parts. From my interpretation, the dubstep part is where insanity kicks in so it needs to really sound crazy. Maybe a little more grit to the bass and more "oscillations" would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback. I know the dubsteppart is a bit weak, but I'm working on it. I'm going to work on the drop too.
You're right about 1:08-1:36 too. I'll look into it ;D

Level 19
http://soundcloud.com/smoke_your_veggies/schizophrenia-wip-2
Watyathink?
The dubstep part needs some work and I need to balance the instruments more.

Not bad imo. Suits the theme quite well.
Just one false note that irritates me ALOT.
(At 0.28 you add a new sound to it with 3 notes that repeat a few times. Your main 'melody' of this part is in 2 pieces. A melody line then the 2nd part a line that looks like it but is a littlebit lower. At 0.31 your 2nd part of that line starts but those 3 notes that entered at 0.28 still stay there. If you would move those 3 notes down by half a note (Dunno what note they are but if they are let's say an A, make an A flat of it then). At the moment they are just very false.)

But apart from that it looks really nice so far. Keep it up!

Level 10
Alright, here's the WIP, I could hear the other one just fine, but it had been shorted down for some reason. And also, I hear some background beeps that I don't know what is.

Attachments

• Chemistry2(2).mp3
    687.7 KB · Views: 55
Level 30
Alright. Here's a new update: http://soundcloud.com/smoke_your_veggies/schizophrenia-wip-3
@Teun, I noticed your comment too late.
You're very right and I tried fixing it before but apperantly, I didn't do it good enough.
I noticed your comment too late to still fix it in this version but I managed to make it sound less off by working the pitch knob. Thanks for pointing out it still sounded bad, though. I hope it doesn't bother you in this version :3. You can just skip it though, I didn't really change much in the intro, just the dubstep part.

Level 35
@lexalex: IMHO, the guitar sounds really random and although it seems to contrast with the darker background by being a little quirky and more consonant, it doesn't harmonize well with the piece.

@krl70: Your piece sounds quite melancholic and sad but doesn't invoke "schizophrenia" yet. Perhaps later on you will introduce something to change this.

Level 10
@lexalex: IMHO, the guitar sounds really random and although it seems to contrast with the darker background by being a little quirky and more consonant, it doesn't harmonize well with the piece.

@krl70: Your piece sounds quite melancholic and sad but doesn't invoke "schizophrenia" yet. Perhaps later on you will introduce something to change this.

Yeah. As you might hear I ended this part with a chord. Opening to quite a lot more possibilities.

@Lexalex: Agree with JFI.

Level 6
OK...WIP, WIP, WIP, WIP....WIP4...coming up right now
BAM!
Criticism plz!:vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf:

Attachments

• SkizopfhreniaWIP4.mp3
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
Level 35
lexalex, I really like the beginning parts where it repeats because that, from my interpretation, can convey echolalia, a symptom that some schizophrenics can suffer from (because of formal thought disorder) where he/she repeats phrases constantly. I'd like to see more development and textural variance because right now it doesn't progress much. Still very interesting nonetheless!

Status
Not open for further replies.