1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Disasterpiece512, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If anybody causes ANY drama on my watch, I'm going to cause a world of pain...

2. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    But a music contest without drama would break tradition!

3. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I AM A REBEL! TRADITION MEANS NOTHING TO ME! IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZ0RS AT DRAMA!

But seriously. This contest has actually had enough drama about it BEFORE it began because of the theme selection.

4. Krl70

Krl70

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allright, I've tried to record my WIP for quite some time now, and I've finally made it. Here is the base theme that I will be working my way around, a piano, and an Organ so far. It's very short right now, though.

Attached Files:

5. Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I... need.... a.... custom.... Chat.... ICON. I AM ENTERING!

6. Krl70

Krl70

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you know squat about music creation?

7. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nobody asked you how much you know about music creation before you joined. If you read the rules, vast musical knowledge isn't required to join.

Stop trying to cause drama or discourage the competition. If you trigger a shitstorm, I swear I shall have you disqualified somehow.

@JetFangInferno: OMG NEW AVATAR THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE!!

8. Krl70

Krl70

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well. I am in no way trying to cause drama. But what I meant was, if you don't know how anything about music, you really aren't in a very good position to win.

And how on earth are you going to get me disqualified?, I mean, wouldn't it be like, very hard.

9. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll do my best to judge it all fair. No worries.
    I've got quite much of musical knowledge since it's my study.
    On the other hand the result is by far more important then if the theory behind it is all true. But if I have the feeling the person making the music had no clue making it he get's some minus points. Then if that same person succeeded in making the song really good or suit the style very good then I could scrap those minus points.
    Just trust me that I'll do fair judging;-)

10. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Teuncreemers: I trust you will do just fine. If it's not too much to ask, It would be great if you would have wouldn't have any delays with your judging, when the time comes.

@Krl70
    I understand that, but you aren't in a good position to judge if others are appropriate to join the contest. People might take that as hostility and could snap at you, causing *DUM DUM DUM* drama. Also, last contest, Pyritie and Whenwolf, the host, disqualified AoP as a judge because of the drama he started, so I'm guessing it's quite possible to do that with contestants too. If you want to give any criticism, criticize the contestants' WiPs/songs, not the contestant himself.

11. Krl70

Krl70

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allright. But can we just end that conversation here?

@Teuncreemers: Sounds good. Happy judging.

12. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, that was me.
    AoP wasn't disqualified or anything, he emoquited because of trollbait and butthurt.
    :ogre_hurrhurr:

13. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    True, but he just beat Pyritie to it. I clearly remember him posting "AoP, you're no longer judging because of the shitstorm you've caused".

14. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Devine, you're in my territory now, and if you start again.....

But nevertheless, Teun's a reliable judge and we'll probably get a few more judges, especially towards then end when some people just don't have the time to enter themselves but can still help by judging.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  15. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you should generalize that first sentence.
    *cocky statement* My friend Whenwolf here happens to be a mod and a contestant so try not to anger him or he'll EAT YOU!

Also, I have no doubt that Teun will prove to be a good judge, but regarding others, I think we should pick the best and most reliable, not just anybody.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Waldbaer was inspiring. Samuraid has talent too.

17. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Chill out guys. Getting a little ridiculous.

18. Disasterpiece512

Disasterpiece512

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I second that. Let's try not to start any discussions about judges in this thread, lest we risk triggering another AoP-like shitstorm. I'll handle the judges.

19. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
  20. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sounds pretty awesome, Devine. Here are some remarks:

(1) From 1:08 to 1:36, there is little progression within the piece because it's just bouncing back and forth between the previous melodies.
    (2) From 1:36 to 1:50 I really like how the "insanity" starts weaving itself into the melody by slowly rising in volume and distorting the pitch.
    (3) At 1:50, though this is just a personal preference, I think you can build up more strongly into a dramatic bass drop, followed by some harder beats plus what you already have. I think you may find inspiration from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtpK3Xd330.
    (4) Your dubstep part is not very strong compared to the previous parts. From my interpretation, the dubstep part is where insanity kicks in so it needs to really sound crazy. Maybe a little more grit to the bass and more "oscillations" would be nice.