• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hmm.
Wherewolf... I'd rather be a contestant instead of a judge if there are so many judges anyway. 2 Judges would be enough, so I'm stepping out of this to maybe become a contestant.
I'm not 100% sure if I will have enough time to get up with a track, but just put me on the contestant list and I maybe step out again if I think I won't make it.

EDIT: Or make it required that the judges know atleast a bit about music apart from 'Hey I listen to music every day!'.
I'm in my first year study at a dutch conservatory (music school) studying bassguitar (jazz&pop). Also got composition as my 2nd choice. (www.youtube.com/teuncreemers)

EDIT: Or make it required that the judges know atleast a bit about music apart from 'Hey I listen to music every day!'.
I'm in my first year study at a dutch conservatory (music school) studying bassguitar (jazz&pop). Also got composition as my 2nd choice.

-I already trust you from your pervious work
-Army judged the last contest
-Nara has shown me before on another site his composing abilities (along with his proficiency in piano)
-Jub I'm not so sure about, he said he has a lot of experience playing music and knows the theory but actually isn't able to show any examples of his work.

But yeah I can remove you from the judges if you want

OP . Sorry, I re-read the rules and it was quite hidden amongst the other bigger, more flamboyant rules. I'll just be quiet for a while now until i have some progress to show...

Nah it's fine, these rules have only been through 1 contest so they could have flaws in them, pointing them out could only help future contests

Level 7
guys, um, it doesn't have to be arabic. you could use some sounds that remind of Egypt or whatever. Something like the sun is too bright, grilling you. Or the night is too cold, freezing you. Wind too could be used. I can't do it right now, got no ispiration. So, good luck yo you. This song isn't about the desert, but it reminds of egypt in the begining.

Well it's kinda funny how people hear Arabian music and think Sitar when actually the Sitar is an Indian instrument, but yes - as many people pointed out it doesn't have to be Arabian style music to be desert music.

Other genre's often connected with deserts:
-Flanco
-Mariache
-Indian (India Indian and American Indian Indian both often can convey this feel)

You can pretty much get any genre to work to create desert music done right, you just have to be creative with it.

Other things to think about with deserts:
-the emptiness
-Hot during the day and Cold at night
-hopelessness of being lost in the desert
-feelings of desolation
-Oasis's
-etc. etc.

Level 13
here's my first wip.. well gotta work on that haha
DesertThemo_Kalli_wip1

i think the background is epic! but the modern drums and the harpsichord/cembalo makes it sound more like egyptian than desert-y.
I think you should go with more of an orchestra intruments instead of the harpsichords and the modern drums but w/e it's your song :)

Level 12
Level 25
2784952329_ba0495d85a.jpg

:3 If only I know how to play it

Level 1
Here it is http://soundcloud.com/realitycheck-1/lost-in-the-gobi-desert

The tune tells the story of a man/woman "Lost In The Gobi Desert"

The slightly melancholy slightly hopeful melody is to show the emotions of the man or woman still holding hope they will find their way home.

I used tons of reverb and a desert wind sample to emphasise the vastness of the desert.

Along the snare i layered a white noise like snare and time stretched it which to me brings the image of sand.

I also used a slow bpm of 87 to add further emphasis on the feelings of the everlasting relentless plains of the desert.

Hope you like the tune, peace :cool:

:3 If only I know how to play it

If you can hook me up with one of those things I'd gladly learn to play (I love lesser known folk instruments)

@Kallimachos
Sounds pretty cool so far, but the main instrument you used sounds a bit low quality compared to that of the flowing instruments in the background, it doesn't have the same sort flowing aspect to it - maybe holding the notes out longer would work better.

@Nara
Egypt is full of desert and famous for desert, thus Egyptian music would carry with a desert-ish aspect wouldn't it?

@Derkath
That string instrument almost has an Asian aspect to it.
Overall the piece sounds pretty interesting so far.

Level 1
@Derkath
That string instrument almost has an Asian aspect to it.
Overall the piece sounds pretty interesting so far.

Which one haha there's about 4, but yeah they're all Chinese instruments :D
Do you think more needs doing to the track i thought it was finished... hmm

Level 1
All the instruments are Chinese which incidentally is where the Gobi desert is so that's where it is deserty instruments IMO anyways

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So, all I have to do is just reply here with the song and the description etc. ?

I don't think I can start working on the song until September the 15th because I'm having exams until then. If the deadline is on the 24th of September that means I'll be starting after the 15th. I don't think a WIP is necessary. I can prove my originality through screenshots of my work (screens of the program I'm using with the actual notes placed there). I think it's best this way so no one could inspire from it.

Level 10
So, all I have to do is just reply here with the song and the description etc. ?

I don't think I can start working on the song until September the 15th because I'm having exams until then. If the deadline is on the 24th of September that means I'll be starting after the 15th. I don't think a WIP is necessary. I can prove my originality through screenshots of my work (screens of the program I'm using with the actual notes placed there). I think it's best this way so no one could inspire from it.

Rules are rules, man. If we bend the rules for one contestant, we have to bend them for everybody. Besides, what's so hard about making a wip? When you're half-way through writing the song, that's your wip.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Rules are rules, man. If we bend the rules for one contestant, we have to bend them for everybody. Besides, what's so hard about making a wip? When you're half-way through writing the song, that's your wip.

Yeah but I'm starting the work on the song after the 15th of September, wouldn't then be too late for a work in process to post ? And how about answering all of the previous question please :D.

Level 15
Well actually, when recording each instrument a wip is very difficult to achieve because you've either got a studio or you have a lot of gear you've set up yourself and is hard to setup and setdown (is that the right word?). Realistically the only ways to achieve a wip that way would be if you screenshot the soundwave in the multi-track program or arrange a midi sample of the concept, both don't really represent the final construction of the piece very well.

Well actually, when recording each instrument a wip is very difficult to achieve because you've either got a studio or you have a lot of gear you've set up yourself and is hard to setup and setdown (is that the right word?). Realistically the only ways to achieve a wip that way would be if you screenshot the soundwave in the multi-track program or arrange a midi sample of the concept, both don't really represent the final construction of the piece very well.

Hmmm I'll have to think about that

This sort of question has come up before, but no final verdict on it was achieved and it wasn't mid contest when it came up.

Level 5
The first time I heard Kayhan Kalhor, I had my mind blown. The second time, I thought to myself, "damn, this would be awesome in a video game".

Level 23
I'm not in this to win this, but I thought I'd have a bash anyway.:infl_thumbs_up:

Made using OpenMPT, with GM.dls and CT8MGM.sf2 samples, and (I think) DirectX VST effects.

This is a little snippit. It is heavily inspired by Ultravox's Your Name (Has Slipped My Mind Again) (most notably the drums), but the melody is all mine.

Post-apocalyptic ruined dessert and stuff, empty echoes and wind and stuffffff.

Please don't criticise me too hard, I'm a sensitive little flower.:cry:

Attachments

• Dessert.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
Level 10
Hey, finally this contest got reality! :grin:
Hm... I'd really like to do something, but I doubt I'll get something finished in the next more or less two weeks.
I could do judging, but if you think there are already enough judges, don't take me and it'll be fine. Well, for judging we still can decide later, can't we? Maybe also another judge wants to enter spontaneously and I could replace him.

Well, I'll definitely keep an eye on this contest and thread. And if you still like to have judges in the end, I think I could qualify (I'm studying music for teachers at the music college cologne, Germany).

I could do judging, but if you think there are already enough judges, don't take me and it'll be fine. Well, for judging we still can decide later, can't we? Maybe also another judge wants to enter spontaneously and I could replace him.

Well I don't have any judges yet!

In the first post, there are listed three judges and in the discussion, others also were interested in judging, and Wherewolf already noted that judges aren't really needed anymore. So I don't understand your post... :vw_wtf:

Yeah sorry, I didn't know Wherewolf was managing the judges. Most contests around here usually get abandoned so I guess I'm kinda used to taking over contests >__>

Im judging.

Lol no, i was just saying to pyritie i was judging.

Are you sure? You've already done plenty of judging lately and I would kinda like to see some different judges around here. :D

Level 6
So i'm in too...Here is my Wip

First of all this is entirely my writing.

Program used: Fruity Loops Studio 9

Empty winds, mixed with drums describing a journey in the desert.

I deleted the Wip from here cuz it is the same as the one on page 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.