1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    First of all, I would like to clear myself. i don't have anything about edits. I do, however, state that edits must be coherent, this follows the criteria (even though it's a bit ambiguous as it leaves a lot of space open).

If you merge animations from illidan and the footman on attacks and that thing doesn't fit at all, then you lose credits, simply because it affects the mechanics (ahem criteria), is unnatural (ahem criteria) and is not smooth (doesn't blend). An Animation as a unique part is not the only thing I´m judging following that criteria but also how all animations blend as a whole. Second if the animations don't fit well (he has one weapon and appears in attack anim as using two) is unnatural. This also applies to scratch models

In the case of geometry, a mesh that doesn't fit or you have good geometry on one side but a boxy weapon, it's incoherent. Or you decided to combine a Wow weapon with a lot of detail in a not so detailed model, then that´s not fitting, but that's on mechanics criteria.

All I'm doing is pointing out the main mistakes model editers make. All within the criteria, sadly the criteria should be more specific. That's why we normaly get more than one judge.

I think this was misunderstood and incorrectly expressed by my part. I should clarify with an example.

Let's say you decided to use illidan animations on a guy with one weapon. The attack animations appear as he has two weapons. This is inconsistant. In that case one should open the model with 3ds max or mdlVis and edit the animation.

Then explain to me how I make it fair for people who uses in-game textures vs custom made? However, it's a nice point. That's why you get many judges. Some judge things tougher than others. The criteria says what's judged but not how it affects you. Perhaps it should be considered for the next contest to write a table of credits lost. Back before, each judge made his own table of loss credits, not sure how it is now.

Well it wasn't until now that I realised it's not very specific, but all I've said falls under the criteria. Sadly it's very open. It's qualitative, not quantitive and therefore leaves a lot of space open that must be filled by oneself. That's why I clarify things.

That's as far as I read, man you can't convince anyone with saying he's out of his senses for staters. I'm sorry, but I don't think I have insulted you and if I have I'm deeply sorry, but that's a no way to go for me.

About the rest. We can have the scratch modelling vs Model Editing discussion at modeling & animation forum. It's better not to continue that discussion here.

2. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just like how it was done in the past. Custom textures get rated based on how well they are drawn, how well they fit in-game and how well they are wrapped. In-game textures get rated based on unique they look, how they are used together(no color-clashing and such), how well they are wrapped and how original the choices are(like using a menu screen gem icon .BLP for some kind of necklace or so would be pretty creative), as well as any other clever usages of in-game textures you can notice.

Damn, I think I came off as too harsh with that. I meant it in a... Silly way? Oh god, I really don't know how to explain myself - but... I really didn't mean it in a harsh way.

3. Tarrasque

Tarrasque

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I also had problems when judgin models...dammit Im taking too long again.

Heres another wip:

Attached Files:

4. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looking good Tarrasque!

Started my HD portrait
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  5. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You know, when I finish NeoDex importer, I'll make a tool for converting a NeoDex scene into an Starcraft 2 Art Tools scene, that portrait would be all it's left for making it auto portable.

6. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hello,

I discovered this contest only recently, and i find it very inspiring!
    So i have created an account especially for it.

I would like to enter with an "Infernal Cannon" hero.
    Here's a 1st WIP:

Attached Files:

7. Tarrasque

Tarrasque

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thanks SuPa, yours looks godly. Did you made the texture for the low poly model using a high res mesh?

@Freddyk, I like how its looking, reminds me of transformer, looks cool

Another wip, almost done with the texture.

Attached Files:

8. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks Tarrasque! The main model's texture is just painted but as you can see the portrait uses a high res sculpt for the texture.

Here's the semi-final portrait model and texture
    [​IMG]

9. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wip:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Classic Jigrael Naga; looks great so far.

11. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think I'll withdraw my participation in this contest. My model concept was a tad flawed and conceptual.
    The poly count and size of the model is just getting larger to fix my concept and it's not turning out very well.

Since not many days are left of the contest and starting anew with this tiny amount of time left will not result in a good result.
    Still, why not have a contest about making WC3 Buildings next btw? We have so many units, heroes and doodads but not much buildings.

12. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, I'd be even more awesome if you were to make a specific 'set' of buildings for each race, considering that buildings take less time to animate and make(No, I don't know for sure, correct me if I'm wrong), but I like your idea and maybe you should suggest it for the next model contest!.
    Sorry for off-topic-ness.

13. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We have too many... hero glows! *_*

14. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I can't check my account this weeks because of internet connection problems and I only have my chance now so I'll show you my wip on the sea king (sea giant)

Attached Files:

15. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Why do you keep changing concept? You can only participate with a single final entry in this contest as far as I know o_O

16. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I know, this is my last concept (not final submission!).

17. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Everyone's doing great, I see.

Unfortunately, as always, I canot finish my entry, so I'll have to quit.

Good luck to all. ^^

18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    *NOTICE* - Due to the lack of uproar over Frankster being chosen as Judge #2 of this contest in the last several pages, I have gone ahead and placed him as such (since he appeared to be OK with it, sans complaint :p).

Wow, I'm honored you come out of Lurking for this contest. Moreover, I'm pleased with your entry; no one has quite done a Mechanical unit-base yet. (at least until Astaroth Zion comes through with his Meat Wagon-hero :p). Lookin' real good; captures that Transformers-vibe like they said. Keep it up!

Beaautiful. Man, so smooth and cool... Personally, I'd love to see a bit more armor (esp. around the 'chest-al' region), just to give her a bit more... 'presence', I guess? Even just a few more strings of necklace-stuff (aka the aliens from Avatar).

Oh come now, you had something great going for you. Even if you just enter with what you had last, I'm sure the judges will give you some good feedback on how to improve. : ) But look at peeps like Freddyk; you can totally do something good in a week. :p

On a side note, I do agree about the Buildings; I'd love to see people making a mini-set of buildings for a particular race, because one of my biggest issues in making custom stuff is the lack of custom buildings (and re-using Build-less neutral buildings & doodads gets old). Great idea for another contest (though we already have 1-2 ideas in back-log).

Umm, yeah, it's cool to have a lot of ideas, but as the deadline draws nearer, I'd suggest sticking with one.

That being said, I don't know why you abandoned that Furbolg/Owlbear-thingie... It was an excellent start & a submission we don't have so far. Please re-consider (or at least mod the heck out of that Mountain Giant).

True dat (though I don't think he was being too serious).

Unfortunately you're right; I'd love for more "quantitative" criteria. However, this is ultimately an artistic endeavor, and when it comes to art, it's almost entirely subjective (qualitative) rather than objective (quantitative).

However, like I said, if you feel the Criteria fall short in some way, please speak up now with specific (wording) suggestions. I'm open to correcting it, as long as others agree & it's not too onerous.

Well, while I'm loath to force judges to judge in a certain way, I don't mind having a standard... However, what do you mean, "table of loss credits"?

If by "within the criteria" you mean "allowed by the criteria without punishment", then I would disagree. The way I wrote the Criteria includes the idea of "smoothness", "inconsistencies", and the like; thus all the things you mentioned (rather newbish mistakes in geomerging, at that) would indeed be penalized (though the degree to which they would be penalized lies in the jurisdiction of the Judge themselves).

19. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Mesh almost done.
    I have to work on anims now... i hate that part...

Attached Files:

20. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awww, I was hoping you'd do some SC2 Thor like body structure with that infernal contraption hero with maybe a few originalities to go with such awesomeness.