1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thats all finalizing stuff, incase you didn't understand what I was asking for.

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    1) Nothing in the rules states that that is required. More importantly/easily, you can tell just by looking at the Thread Title: "MODELing Contest". : )
    2) Of course it is! Again, not in the rules, because that'd be silly & impossible to moderate; technically *every* idea comes from someone else.
    Some people just like to think of stuff themselves, but some of the coolest ideas come from collaboration (which gives me an idea for hosting the next Hero Contest...)

I would love to see a well-done & much-needed "Runemaster" unit, and Tauren's (or Dwarves) would be the perfect fit (do Wildhammer Dwarf!). However, if you're still looking for ideas:

Heck yeah you better. :p

Awexome. That show-case pic is much better. Quite an impressive contender!

However, I have to ask... Just what is your fetish with Wolf-heroes? First the super-cool "Werewolf" hero, now this... Did you seriously have to make another laudable-lupine? :p I'm running out of room in my projects for such heroes, and running out of ideas for wolf-based abilities.

Al-right.

So first off, I love what you're pulling off here; as you've described, you've really steered clear of the all-too generic "GGGRRR IM A BIG SKELLY WARRIOR" concept and leaned more towards a true "Warlord", a reasoned, powerful & calculated foe. Most importantly, you've really communicated this raw "controlled power" concept that is one of my absolute favorite "feels" in a character (see 'Protoss Archon', 'Combustion Man', etc. I'll write a blog-post eventually...). His Death & Dissipate manifest his impeccable honor & unconquerable pride... His attacks & spells just exude "I am in charge". His Spell Channel is one of my favorites (see above; love the "just barely floating above the ground" thing). Second only to a beautiful vision of "ascendant glory" found in the Dissipate anim. Verah Noice.

However, I have to admit that for all his splendor, extensive animations, beautiful mesh & smooth textures... He is lacking somewhat in the "Wc3-fitting" side of things. Again, no artist here, but he just seems too realistic. Would fit somewhat better in Diablo, methinks, or something of that caliber.

Not sure how to fix that, exactly (and even if you did, I would keep this version for uploading to the Resource section; it's killer. No pun intended). But the fur might be a place to start; it looks somewhat off. The skull's head could use more definition (bigger, cartoonier brow-ridges & eye sockets, perhaps), and ... yeah. Less smooth-ness in the textures?

Keep it up.

I Am...
    [​IMG]

Oh
    yeah,
    there's
    next-
    to-
    none
    of
    those
    here
    at
    The
    Hive
    Workshop

:<

Seriously, typing in "wolf", "worgen" and "werewolf" in the [Search] bar of the Resource section shows upwards of 30+ Wolf-based Heroes. Not only that, but we've already had 2 other people in this very contest doing a Wolf-based hero. (1 finished, the other changed his mind).

Again, I Am...
    [​IMG]

The... Wolf? Maybe the Druid of the Claw if you really needed to?

3. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just did some progress on the wrap and started texturing... but i guess ill have to rearrange stuff, because the wrap is tight and the resolution is quite bad right now, even at 512x512...

[​IMG]

4. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you interpret it loosely enough, you could base it off the Druids of the Claw, as some kind of off-shoot. Druids of the Fang or something, y'know.

5. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i was just thinking about the name i'm giving it, and started jumping randomly from page to page until i found myself reading wow lore (despite my prejudice with it) about the fairy dragons being guardians of the 'emerald dream' (a 'place') - and i was coming to a name which is druidic along that emerald dream atmosphere.

emerald druid, emerald guru... or something else, that could depict a faerie creature that is ancient, spiritual, serene and prophetic.. if anyone has a suggestion that isn't prawnosaurus i might take it.

6. WhiteDeath

WhiteDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Dream Keeper

7. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Dream Weaver?

So I'm having some issues with ingame testing. The skull geoset isn't appearing ingame, no matter what I try to do.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Fast internet again bitches. Let's see if I can get it going.

9. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    wow, lotsa good stuff. i haven't checked this thread in a while

10. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Alright, so I've decided that I'm not going to touch the textures anymore. If there are any changes other than that, that are desperately needed, I'll update the model. If not, this is my final submission.

I suggest using the Death Knight as a base unit, with a few minor tweaks, such ase reducing his size to about .70, and lowering his death time. After looking at him ingame, abilities such as Cripple, Bladestorm, Death Pact and Bash fit him wonderfully.

Attached Files:

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ... Um. I think Vermillion was referring to our conversation with Cromox about a worgen/wolf hero-base; I don't see how your hero has anything to do with Druids or Claws. :p

That being said, excellent question. Good diving into the lore for a name... And "Emerald" is just a scwheet word. "Dream Weaver" and "Dream Keeper" are both great. "Emerald Guardian"? "Emerald Watcher"? "Slumber Emperor"? lol.

:'[

12. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    asdf.PNG

Attempting the forest troll again. I just love this face too much to let it go.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Al-right! Glad to see you back, and even more glad you stuck with the Troll.

Please let me know what you got in mind; I'd love to help out. :p That being said, while I love the face, that bear-head seems really out-of-place; I can tell the difference in the high-quality Rexxar bear-texture & the regular-quality Naga Summoner-texture.

14. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think the only reason that's happening is because of the stretched eyes.
    P.S, I really hope you're gonna cover 'em up with some yellow eyes later and add some glow. ^^
    Looking sweet so far, though!

15. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    indeed. dont know why i thought it was to me.

emerald is quite shitty, yes. and weaver, keeper, guardian, are too arcane and humanly. i want something more tribal and/or spiritual and with an uncommon pronounce... like vizier, or guru. i guess it'll come up to me at some point..

i like it too. don't let it go. :)

16. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So I realized that I forgot to add attachment points, of all things. I'm going to update my submission tomorrow with those added.

17. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Previousversion
    Well it's supposed to be kinda this:
    [​IMG]

Yep, indeed, gonna do that later. Thanks :)

Thankies.

Edit: bitchesbelike.PNG

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  18. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Another two set of questions:

1.How can I add pictures that is not a attachmentand also teach me to the showable and hidable images (sorry for the bad english).
    Example:
    And my First WIP:

(image)

Hope I can finish it before the deadline.

2.If my hero is an undead, will be it's dissipate is undeadish (will not raise)?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  19. GreeN!X

GreeN!X

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    @HappyCockroach How bout' Fay Vizier, Fey Dreamers?

Posting to get that black dot in the thread icon. I really like the models being made here, good luck to everyone. :3

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol.

Alright, that's cool. Glad you have a distinctive "feel" in mind for the theme. However...

? I said "Schweet", as in "Sweet", as in "Good". I love the word 'Emerald', especially for this guy; it's got a good number of syllables, is very visually evocative, and just rolls off the tongue. :<

"Vizier" is pretty cool too (although I can't think of it as anything but "evil vizier", like Jafar or that guy in the Thief & the Cobbler, and I'm not sure if "evil" is what this guy is going for for). "Emerald Vizier"?

"Spirit Watcher"? bleh
    "Aether Prince/Vizier/Guardian"?
    "Feylord"?

Interesting model. Looks good, so re-creating that isn't a bad place to start... After that, I think your only/biggest challenge (perhaps your only challenge overall in modeling :p) is turning that unit into a Hero.

Lookin' better so far.

I'm not sure if I understand your question... If you're trying to add pictures to... a post? Then either Attach it (use the paper-clip icon and upload it either from the Internet (URL) or your computer (browse thru files)... Or you can simply attach it directly as an img with the [img] tags (look up the "BBCode" link at the bottom of any page). Take the URL (from the Internet) of your image and put it between "img" tags.

2) Not necessarily (see Vermillion Edict's), though I think that'd be a nice touch.

Keep up the good work!