1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Looking good, it remind me of assassin's creed.

2. Systemfre1

Systemfre1

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    lol yeah, if an assassin died :p

3. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I like the concept, and I gotta say, I hope he uses the daggers atleast once.

Anyway, I've changed the armor color, and added a few things. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    still doesn't look very warcraftish. and still lacks detail, depth and contrast, to define the materials more. i did a quick sketch over your wip to explain how i think it could be better
    ve.jpg

dont judge the quality of my drawing :v
    (and im not sure those are the materials you went for)

5. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    My style generally puts more detail into the mesh, rather than the texture. I've fought with the wrap a few times on a few spots, so those changes probably won't happen.

Besides that, I feel that if I add too much, quality will be lost in the top-down view ingame. If it weren't for that, I probably would add in those changes.

I'll definitely work on the contrast, though.

6. Chucky

Chucky

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Fuck Warcraftish. Warcraft 3 graphics are a shitload clusterfuck of blurry graphics. Continue on this path, maybe add some highlights to make it stand out, and consider composition principles, contrast and unity.

7. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i don't understand your rage. the "warcrafishness" itself is based on 'composition principles, contrast and unity', etc.
    AR's entry, for instance, has a texture which is very warcraft-fitting... and at the same time it has highlights, contrast, definition and whatnot.

warcraft has some geometry proportions which kinda bother me as well. some of its textures are sucky, yes. but as long as we're making models which are WC3-reasonable in polycount and such, we'd better leave the details, definition, shading and even anatomy definition sometimes to the texture. going warcraftish is making something that works with that.

(i suggest we make a thread in modelling discussion about that if this discussion is going to be long and deviate the topic too much.)

8. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I reaaaaaally suggest you listen to HappyCockroach. His example is everything your model currently lacks. You implement his changes, and you pretty much have a contest winner on your hands, assuming you can follow up with some really cool animations.

Basically; Much brighter colors, much more details like engravings or chainmail scales, and a lot more highlights with well-defined higlight sources.

Also, red\yellow glow(or even teamglow) in his eye sockets will up the Warcraftiness by about 20% or so. It will also make him resemble his unit cousin more.

9. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Vermillion
    Hey!
    I don't know if it looks Warcraft or not, but it definitely doesn't look too Undead, or is it really supposed to be Dullahan? lol.

@stonneash
    Hmm, I'm not so sure I like the team colored neckerchief though. Is it supposed to be a piece of cloth? I'd make it black and perhaps improve the quality of the rest of the vestment.

10. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So I've decided to add an extra layer over his head, to make it easier to add some rotten skin to the skull, but I'm not sure how well thats going to work out.

That didn't go as well as I hoped, so I've decided on a workaround. I'm considering giving his abilities a slight fire theme, and charring his bone, to explain the hair away, as being melted to the bone.

I also added some furs, like on a regular skeleton has on their kilt.
    Also, I'm adding runes to the main-hand gauntlet, tryin' to show that its enchanted, to help support the weight of the axe, or something along those lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Remember that if you are in need of textures you've got those exotic models from Cinematic Arthas vs Illidan, which is an actual model. I actually love the cliffs the most on that model =P

12. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's looking a lot better. :)
    I suggest you further brighten the highlights and add just a few minor details on stuff like the pauldrons. Also make the skull a bit whiter and more defined, like the in-game skeleton; or at least make it yellowish.

13. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please delete this post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    the stretching could use a small fix, but it looks cool so far.

15. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm joining and I will post some screenshots for my work later.

16. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please delete this post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You know the drill. Lots to catch up on. Please check to make sure; I have attempted to respond to each and every one.

(Hint: Open the "Hidden" block first)

The Stuff

Wow. Just... Wow. This really needs a better image to show it off... You guys that look at just the image (like me) to enjoy this model are missing out on one of the key points of this model... Beautiful animations meshed with STELLAR sfx. It took Skyping with Deolrin to convince me to take an early look at it, and I'm glad I did.

Basically, the mesh, as it appears, is great. I might personally think that wolfs-head pauldron is a little too huge & Warcrafty; could use a shrink & maybe a minor tweak to make it look a little different. However, the armor, the fur, the TC, the face, the hair, the scars... Yeaaah, it's all good, except for one thing...

I had this nagging feeling, though; what was his weapon? The original unit had those wolf-claws, but threw balls of lightning (WTHeck?). So was this guy also ranged? Shooting lightning? Bashing with his fists? He could really use some kind of weapon. Something in one of his hands, as a visual counterpoint to the massive wolfs-head pauldron, to indicate what he attacked with.

Well, let's just say I found it.

TL;DR - If you haven't yet checked out the model, SPECTRAL-LIGHTNING-GHOST-WOLF-CLAWS!!! Holy COW that was so cool. You have seriously done exactly what this Modelling Contest is all about: Take a unit, and crank it up to 11. Especially emphasize some particular aspect of the unit, make it really HEROIC and AWEXOME. And man, spectral-lightning-ghost-wolf-claws just really takes the cake.

(Also, I didn't even mention the SPECTRAL-GHOST-WOLF-HEAD he uses in his Throw/Slam animations! :p Or the brooding "Stand Channel" with beautiful glowy blue stars)

Now, that being said, I have a few suggestions to really polish up this model. And some questions.

• While the effects are fantastic, I still believe he should have something on the mesh to indicate what his weapon is and how it works. This guy really reminded me of a Protoss Zealot meets Wolverine... So maybe some kind of channeling Crystal, or Gauntlet, stuck on the back of his weapon-hand? (technically it's both, though...) Perhaps just throwing the original Shaman claws back on there (slightly more epic, though), wouldn't hurt. Thoughts?
    • I loved the animations. Did you do them yourself? I noticed some Beastmaster ones (which is perfectly fine, they fit great). However, in my opinion the existing-Beastmaster's two Spell anims, as devoid of particles as they are, really stand out (poorly) in contrast to your beautifully-animated-&-particled ones. Nothing too flashy, but I'd suggest sprucing them up a bit.
    • Like I said earlier, the wolfs-head pauldron is great, but consider making it slightly smaller & maybe minor mesh editing.

1) So please tell; what exactly did you have envisioned with this character? You usually make your models in such a way that they tell a story. What's this guy? Why does he have a stuffed wolfs-head when he's ostensibly the "alpha wolf-dude"? Is he ranged or (likely) melee? What kinda spells would you see on him?

2) I love the "Stand Channel" anim; for some reason, after all that motion & ferocity, an animation where he's just standing there, menacingly, hulking down as if preparing for battle or hibernating or whatever.
    See, right there I just made all that up... But what exactly did you have in mind for that animation?

Alright, interesting... I have to ask, though, what is it? Because if I'm not mistaken, Misha's avatar is (like mine) a Protoss Archon. And if someone is making an Archon model...
    *puts on glasses*

YEEEEEAAAAHHH!!!

Sorry for taking so long. Hopefully you haven't given up, because I think this iteration marks a definite improvement. I think the crown makes a lot more sense (the doubled-geoset must've been the issue), and I think 'leather-izing' the Firelord's armor is a neat little touch; definitely adds a good counterpoint to all that harsh, featureless steel armor. Couple of quick points:

• The general mesh is fine, but you might want to consider tweaking the Firelord-bits (esp. the Crown & Pauldron) so that it's not so obviously a port. The retexture helps, but a bit of vertex-mobility would really nail it.
    • The axe has always been quite imposing & impressive... But the texture/wrap really doesn't do it justice. Please look around for something, anything else to wrap around the head of that axe; it's just blurry & weirdly shaded & yeah. Maybe some of that "Ancient of Wonder" stone, geoset-darkened for a nice "Obsidian Axe" touch?
    • I think you're going in the right direction with the leather/fur, but it can go a bit farther. The armor still suffers from the issues of "formless, featureless steel armor". Perhaps some additions (like big furry leather bracers, or a big stomach-plate like the Ogres) can help set that off? Also consider finding a different wrap, to give the steel-armor some definition.

Keep it up. I'm seeing great things. :p

To be honest, whether you choose a Footman or a Knight... It can kinda go either way, you're right. He can be mounted/unmounted either way (as in the case of the Footman, mounting him makes him more Heroic).

However, I'm curious about it; you're making "Achilles"? Like the Greek hero? Not sure how well that'd fit in Wc3... But definitely interesting. o_O

Interesting. Really fine face ya got there, man. Where in the world is that texture from?

Ah, not bad. I'd have to look into some interesting spells for that one.

Not bad, not bad!

I feel like this model has some serious strengths. It truly fits well in Wc3, has a lot of the precise Heroic touches that really make it unique (face esp.), heroically-emphasizes certain aspects of the base-unit; the texture is stellar, the concept is funky and loud... etc.

However, I feel like //simple particles, simple animations, not enough anims, some rarity, ...

Eh, I dunno. I really love Wc3-styled (it's the only thing I can use), but I can understand if modelers want/need a break from a certain style or constraint.

Ooh, a "Bloodlord"? Do tell, sounds quite interesting. Do you mean like a sort of Blood Elven Magister or Warlord? Or perhaps a more demonic "blood for the blood god" Khorne-type deal? Like "Khorne Syrup"? :p

You know, I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to do collaborative work; we've got loads of great animators and texture-rs that could totally do your meshes justice. Eh?

I dunno, man; Retera's been whipping something amazing up with his MatrixEater. Say hello to effortless unit combinations (animations included!). Just sayin', might want to give it a look.

However, that may not be necessary, looking at your WIPs...:

Wow. I'm a super-fan so far. I love the axe, the armor is great, the proportions as sweet, and the skull is very somber. Good (apparent) use of TeamColor, and the armor has plenty of details and stuff.

However, the texture is really really... well, non-Warcraft-y, unfortunately. It's getting better since the beginning; the contrast has been good. However, it needs even more. I'm no artist, so I'm not sure exactly what... But I've seen your previous models, I know that you have done it.

Actually, your Razormane Blood-drinker dude would be a perfect entry into this contest (if you hadn't already made it). Textures like that would be ideal.

That being said, I can say it's coming along quite nicely. :p

Lookin' good. I'm likin' all the motion of the rider; he's not too stiff. His weapon is really really tall, though.

Though we should number ourselves among the blessed to be honored with your concept art alone, I am glad you didn't stop there. :p

Lookin' snazzy as usual, not much to say here; although she is looking pretty scantily-clad. o_O

Yeah, unfortunately not.
    I'm not sure how using only WoW anims appears to the rules, but watch out. And yes, unfortunately it has to be all work made originally for this contest.

However, don't give up. We'd love for your talent to enter this contest!

Looking good. Again, strive for Warcraft proportions (i.e. don't worry about fingers or what-not, and make the silhouette-enhancing parts of the mesh stand out), but keep it up.

Oh come now, they're not that bad. Yes, it's dated, and yes, it's blocky and such, but that was somewhat intentional; the units couldn't be too too advanced else people's computers would die.

Besides, it's got a certain silly nostalgia to it. Most importantly, it's part of the contest parameters. The point of the contest (and most of Wc3 modding, IMO) is to make things that fit into Warcraft 3. Other contests have been discussed which would test general modding skills (without the "Wc3-fitting" criteria), but this isn't one of those. :p

Hey man, don't give up! You've really been progressing well so far. If you're looking for ideas, I can definitely throw some hundred your way. :p You've got the skills, now you just gotta pay the bills!

... sorry, that barely made sense, even in my native tongue. x )

But seriously, don't give up yet. Warcraft modeling has it's challenges, but it's gotta be easier to make things *less* detailed than *more*.

Lookin' good. I really like the royal armor-stuff you got going there. I'm a little worried about all those Coral-Reef-doodads stuck on the top; will have to see that in-game to determine whether it's too cluttered or not.

Alternate Murloc, definitely. Speaking of which, did you ever take a look those "Slann" I linked you to previously? I really feel like that'd be a good direction/inspiration for this model, to really amp up the "Hero" factor.

Yeah, I'm kinda glad you decided to reconsider; the Shaman has already been chosen twice in the contest so far; there are plenty of good units to choose from.

That being said, I Googled what you described... Pretty cool! I think it's a great un-done idea, having races other than Humans be "bandits"; Dwarves would make great Barbarians and such. I'm a little worried, though; how are you going to make him different enough from the existing Mountain King?

Alright, so I'm actually kinda interested in what you got going here, but I really feel like the 3rd WIP went a bit in the wrong direction. However, what's most important to that opinion is this:

What kind of hero are you making?

What is your hero? Sure, he's a heroic Acolyte; I like how he's got good body-structure, the face is different (esp. the TC "blinded eye" bandanna meshed with the hood). However, all of a sudden it's like "pauldrons/shield/daggers/fists"???

So what is he? Is he a crazed demon/nerzhul-worshipping neophyte? A sort of 'warrior-acolyte' that's trained with weaponry? A sacrifical psychopath? A cold & calculated Cult Leader with connections to the eldritch?

The answer to this will determine where the model should go. As it stands, I think it's a great start, but seems to clash with itself.

I have to say, while I'm quite impressed with your artistry (mesh & textures are both detailed and descriptive), I have felt like it was still missing something. Or rather, had somewhat 'missed the point' of the contest. It's got additions & enhancements (big gaping spiky hole, spiky armor, etc), it's got some neat twists (chain-hook arm, lolling tongue)... But it's more like a "Hero-ized" Abomination, rather than a "Heroic" abomination.

It took me a while to realize what I was thinking of. I hate to tell people things to improve, without being able to give them examples. However, I found it.

Several Images

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the Koloss, a creature from the fantasy series Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (great author, even greater book; a must-read)

All of them are good viewpoints, but the first is the most exemplifying. To me, the in-game Abomination is the blue-guy in the middle (immature Koloss); super-strong, sturdy, but dumb-looking and pudgy and burly. To me, a "Heroic Abomination" would be the one on the left (mature Koloss); taller, more muscular, powerful, rage-filled, splitting at the seams, etc.

Think about it; for mass-construction, it makes sense to just stitch a buncha corpses together; = Abomination. But for the Abomination, the Chief or Champion Abomination, there'd be no skimping. Massive muscles, tall, powerfully-built body. Why not four arms? Why not a different weapon (hook-chain arm is a good one, actually)? Why not two heads; I really love that idea from Deolrin, as it emphasizes his greater intelligence, ties into the Ogre idea (why not cut up some Ogres instead of your regular old Humans/Orcs? :p).

I know you're not necessarily in the mood for a complete redesign... But you've got the talent, and you've got the time.
    Either way, just my 2 cents. I think it's an excellent model either way. : )

18. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys; I messed around with this contest making some stuff a few weeks ago, and since then I've been busy with starting college. Does anyone have any cool ideas for a model I should make for this contest? I haven't been following the contest too closely recently.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No, I'm sure no one has any ideas. :p

*cough*

Well first off, do you have any preferences? Any race you like best, or unit you love the design of, or hero you want to create?

If not, for starters:

20. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm just using the name to note the style of his battle gear (pseudo-greco-roman or something). Otherwise I'll make sure he fits in Warcraft III. I'll try custom animations.