1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I don't know about that. It's not too late, although it almost is. (I'm unwrapping it right now.) I can still make horns and add them to the object I haven't unwrapped yet.
    Horns are really overdone though, and I think It would also make him look kind of top heavy. If you really look at the model and visualize him with horns the result is not very good. I didn't include the horns for a specific reason pertaining to the design and texturing of his helmet and the way I want it to look.
    I'll do it and see how it ends up anyways.

2. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Too Loki with horns perhaps? =P

3. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yeah, if I were to choose, I'd say no horns too, if you are going for an undead approach that is - he already got those giant hooks/wings/whatever, but if you're making a demon thingie he just can't have enough of those crazy features :)

4. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But the thing is, there seems to be very little detail on his head, which is one of the most important aspects of the model. Maybe it'll look better with a texture, I don't know - but I just don't see what you're planning for his head.
    And besides, the original necromancer had a really cool helmet, and it was one of his most defining aspects. There should probably be some tie-ins with the original model, no? :<

5. HammerFist132

HammerFist132

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Guys I will do some, high priest, does models have to be scratch done?

6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nope as far as you use wc3 models as base. No other game exports.

I suggest you also make some meshes on your own and try reunwrapping some areas.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Not bad, definitely coming along. I'm a little surprised you kept the ultra-crown-of-swords Weapon; I dunno, maybe seeing it in-game won't be so bad.

In fact, I'd like to make that an official request; can you give us at least a picture or two that isn't zoomed into his nostril? :p Lol, but seriously, your model fills the whole screen, which is good for seeing details (keep doing that), but seeing a little bit of color around the edge (zoom out a bit in Magos, then take a screenshot & crop it) would really help get a feel for his proportions. That, and/or the same thing but from an actual in-game perspective (since I know it'd be a hassle to upload it into the WE everytime you wanted to take a pic).

Just a suggestion.

Along with that, I like what you've got, and look forward to some custom animations. I would highly suggest some changes along those lines, to really emphasize the differences between the unit & the hero. I look at in-game pics, and I see the cool concept art you appear to be going from... I love Samwise's art, but have to admit it's not truly as full of character as Hero might be.

Differently-shaped helmet/head, perhaps? Modified skin color? Actual eyes?

Hum, really? Yeah, I did my best to not only provide some really big detailed explanations, but also a variety of pictures (First and Second Posts) and a nice simple explanation at the very top in blue. :<

Take any in-game unit and make a Hero-version of it. DON'T just take the footman, add hero glow & a longer sword, for example. :p Examples:
    Take a Footman and make a Gladiator
    Take the Tornado and make a Wind Lord
    Take Witch Doctor and make a Medicine Mon
    Etc. Post here if you need some (more) ideas.

So that raises the question; can my explanation be simplified? What didn't you understand?

Shouldn't, but I suppose... Hum. On the one hand, you're right, Blizzard has made tons of little model gaffes, so if this is made to fit Blizzard, there's a bit of room for error. However, does that you mean you intentionally allow faults & errors in, or neglect proper modeling practices? I should think not... If anything, making something correctly (i.e. better than Blizzard, but still fitting the style) should be the goal.

But yeah, inside the helmet seems like a waste. I'd be surprised to see you graded off on that.

I'm gonna have to agree with Deolrin a lot here... It's definitely looking better, but there's a certain "OOMPH". It might just be all those hooks; I look at it and I see 'hook-hook-hook-hook-hook...". In fact, it's almost more like a Meat Wagon hero than a Necromancer hero :p The Lich has the "pharaoh" vibe, which is emphasized by the HUGE ceremonial head-dress behind him.
    Now since you're trying to differentiate him from the Lich, I would avoid that... But something else huge on his back/head... Horns? Coffin? library of evil books? Flowing tatters of cape? Um.

Also, what a cute buckler. :p

8. HammerFist132

HammerFist132

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well maybe it is too detailed for me, plus I am on mobile so reading know to be problematic.

9. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Am thinking of making my shaman, a shadow overlord\warlord.

10. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The main model is finished apart from the blood splat event objects during Death, haven't started on the Portrait yet. Gonna make a start on that tomorrow, when I'm not super tired and hung over :p

So, folks: what are your thoughts on these two colour schemes?

Attached Files:

11. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I prefer the left one. It's more warcraftish. Although the eyes should still be green, I think.

12. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with Deolrin green eyes fit better.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Noice!

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon, here, and agree that the Green eyes are a keeper (also, it appears you used the same texture-source for the gem in her tiara; green goes better there, too).

I'm not sure I can decide which one I like better, though. The one on the left seems more Blood Elven (if that's what you were going for), while the one on the right has more of a generic/High Elf/trickster/juggler kinda feel for me (which I kinda liked).

Also, the pink... 'crotch strap' is just garish either way. Definitely gold or something.

Most importantly, what happened to the arm-scarf Runes? That was a great place for TC & one of my favorite parts of the model. :p

14. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, I just noticed the lack of runes too. That was one of my favorite parts of the model too, definitely should stay.

Most importantly for me, however, is that the model actually looks original. I actually thought it was supposed to be a succubus of some kind, but I guess the hair doesn't look demonic.

15. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Ok here's the LAST WIP of the mesh.

We heard you like hooks, so we put hooks on your hooks to you can hook while you hook.
    [​IMG]

16. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ._. Needs a hairbrush :p

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    PERFECT!

Stop right now. Unwrap it, animate it, bake it and your done. Contest winner right here everyone. Now he's got character.

:D

18. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Quick Animation Teaser while I'm working on the Portrait:
    Stand 1
    [​IMG]

Stand 2
    [​IMG]

It really didn't telegraph well in-game; the runes were too small and thin and WC3's texture filtering ate it.
    The runes were fun but sometimes you gotta axe cool ideas for practicality :(

The new cloth looks much better in-game (and it's full, plush TC) and the blurring caused by the tiny mip-maps when the faces are at an angle isn't an issue.

Attached Files:

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Aww... That's quite a shame. I wonder if there wouldn't be a way to involve something runic, like a big swirly line or summat... *sigh*

Well anyway, lookin' super snazzy. I'm glad the hair is curly & bouncy. Else-wise it's coming together.

I know it's only a modeling contest, but have you given any thought to what kind of Hero this could be? I'd love to incorporate it into something...

20. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Alright, here is the actual finished mesh. Hope you all like it. You're a tough crowd to please. I added a crown to his head and changed his weapon.
    Also, this mesh is now fully unwrapped. It's too late to make any major changes, but I can fit one more object into one of the two UV textures if someone has a great idea for an addition.
    I don't have an official name for him now. Lets all refer to him as the "Necromancer death king warrior mage."
    Who says I gotta use a magic hook wand?!
    [​IMG]