• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling contest #14 - POLL!

Vote for the morphing unit you think should win!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hive Workshop Modeling Contest #14 POLL!

Contest Theme: Morphing Units

Contestants had to make a unit that can transform or "morph" in some way. Whether morphing from a mortal to an elemental form or something completely different, the unit must transform and roll out!

Entries:

DonDustin and Mechanical Man are judging! <3

Disclaimer
Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3

Level 16
Meh, my vote goes to anarchianbedlam. The second place for me goes to general frank, the reason he didn't get my vote is simply because it seems a bit.. wrong to me, to squarish in it's "walking" form. and the walk animations isn't anything spectacular, it looks quite.. boring.

So, as I said, I vote for anarchianbedlam!

GJ everyone though, you did a great job on a hard theme :)

Level 30
IkeIke, your skin is very good looking but the mesh is very simple and the animations are too. They're not very smooth either. But nice entry. in the morph animation, the extra block just vanishes into thin air ... you could have let it fade away using geosetanims or just scale it down. 6/10 (nice work IkeIke, your mdl skills are growing!)

Mr.bob, Your ufo model is lovely but you forgot to flag most of the required non-looping boxes.The Morphs are messed up since the building just dissapears, not into the ground but .... into thin air. In morph alternate, your ufo crashes into the roof of the building... Seriously, more finalizations. The spell alternate is lovely though and so is the dead. Nothing more to add. 6.5/10 (a bit dissapointing, coming from you :/)

Thrikodius, your model is incredible. I can hardly believe you made this. I really love the alternate portrait. The rest is also really nice. Nice use of glow etc...
The portrait 2 is a bit odd though, I suggest you just delete it. The alternate version may be simple but it does the job. 7.5/10 (Awesome job, you really pwn'd my expactations)

Pyramidhead, Your model is just plain win. I love the animations. Especially the morph animations! The deaths are a bit dissappointing ... There are absolutely no awesome explosion particles =/ The texture is nice too, and so is the mesh. I love the rays he shoots out of his ... spotlights. I cannot express how much this model wins. 9/10 (win, like we're used to from you)

General Frank, Your model is pretty amazing. That mesh is just awesome! If the animations were as good, I'd give you 10/10 but unfortunatly, they're not =/.
In the morph animation the shield/emblem moves through some crystals. The animations are a bit repetitive too. The death animation is a bit simple and I'm not very fond of the explosion particles either. 8.5/10 (awesome job)

Anarchiambedlam, your model is pretty awesome too. Especially the mesh. The animations are a bit simple though (except for the morph, which is win)=/. Too bad about the normal portrait only show the legs. You should have made a seperate portrait animation for that =/. 8/10 from me (very nice work)

I voted for Pyramidhead.
Very nice entries, everyone.
... Also ... anarchiambedlam, I think it's against the rules to vote for yourself D:

Level 26
I did not realize i could not, you could in other contests. And i didnt see anything pertaining to self votes in pyritie's rule description up top. Its my first contest. sorry. If i cant, then remove/dont count my vote, i sent a message to pyritie asking the same thing. Anyway. we had some really awesome entries to this contest. i love morphing units in general ^^.

and ya, i was meaning to fix the portrait and ill update the model once shamanyouranus helps me with adding sounds to the animations.

EDIT: (to answer devinearmy) and no... shamanyouranus did not help me in any way shape or form in the creation of this model. He looked at it before i submitted it but he did not modify anytyhing in any way, shape or form. to clarify he said he would help me with *correction* SOUNDS, like in event objects, because he believes that it shouldn't be (his words) " a silent piece of crap" and i was going to update the model after the contest voting is over since i have already submitted the model. that is why i have not fixed the portrait yet in the model.

so i am missing particle emitter huh. guess i forgot that part. the model has to be set as mechanical. when it gets damaged it catches on fire and stuff. that's prolly why i left out the explosion. meh. i guess i'll do them for the sake of doing them. and maybe the building debris thing that anarchian used. those were quite nice

but honestly, my vote goes to ike ike. his was the most original i think. and with fun anims. could have used more polys tho. looks a bit too squarish

General Frank's entry reeks of detail. The thing just looks like a blob and while its very pretty, the detail becomes a bad thing ingame.

Anarchiandbedlam's however... I've never seen something this epic. BY FAR, the best entry in this competition, and if you would allow it I would love to make the special effects for it. However, I do have complaints.
The animation is lacking. The morph anim has the whole robot sliding, which is a bit weird. But mostly, the walk animation seems very rushed.

Level 48
My vote goes to General Frank. Yes the model was a bit too crowded with details, but it's AMAZING for cinematics and ultimately useful, unlike most entries(not saying they aren't useful, but I found General Frank's model most useful). Also, the particles were pretty awesome, and it proves that you don't need extremely complicated and huge particles to make a model look good.

Overall: Well done!

Level 4
General Frank. You have created epic Blood Elf Mage Tank In A Can. But I'm sorry, two things let it down...

1. Decimator...Don't mean to be picky, but it isn't very Blood Elf-y Ya Know?
2. The anim...I'm sorry...just no...Perhaps talk to the WILLALMIGHTY whatever dude?

I did not realize i could not, you could in other contests. And i didnt see anything pertaining to self votes in pyritie's rule description up top. Its my first contest. sorry. If i cant, then remove/dont count my vote, i sent a message to pyritie asking the same thing. Anyway. we had some really awesome entries to this contest. i love morphing units in general ^^.

Yeah, it's kinda an unwritten rule. I'll get someone to fix the poll. :p

Level 14
Not particularly impressed with the end result of any of the models as wholes, but I'm going to vote for that tower barracks because the building form looks brilliant and the concept is very, very cool.

I voted for PyramidHe@d. The idea was incredibly clever and original (for a Warcraft III Modding Site) and the texture(s) were greatly made/chosen. anarchianbedlam's model was awesome, but I didn't care for the animations too much. However, the morph animation, and the fact that it wasn't just a huge switch of visibility in geosets, was incredible.

Level 28
ike_ike's Deep Diver:
Small simple and awesome. I only viewed it in magos and saw that both shapes always are visible in the morph anims.

Mr.Bob's Area 51: Pretty strange concept. A building opens the roof, releases a U.F.O. and dissapears... Then suddenly the hous pops up somewhere else and the U.F.O. returns inside. I find that kinda wierd.

Pyramidhe@d's DaftTank: A wee bit funny. Animation is superb and the mesh isn't too bad either. In my opinion it's the usuall Pyramidhe@d quality wich is always very good in either way.

Thrikodius' WraithMage: WTF WHERE YOU THINKING?! A cloaked skull flying around and thurns itself into a big black blobb. You need to try harder if you are to accomplish anything in your life.

General Frank's BloodElf Decaminator: Looks a bit spammy. Since all but the crystals are using almost the same wrap it all blends together. If you have worked with this as you usually do, you have been using already existing animations. I find it pretty impressive to make something so original without custom animations. But I don't know if they are custom or not cause I have never seen them before.

Anarchianbedlam's Project Odin:
Definately something. The mesh is great and the fact that it only uses in-game textures makes it a little better allthough it wouldn't be to hard. A downside here if you ask me is the animations. They are very simple. Sure, robot-like animations are cool but those need to be more robot-like. In my opinion, robots are cooler if they have a more human movement.

My vote goes to ike_ike. His model shows how great simplicity can be, that a good model can take a week rather than a month. But then it's not possible for everyone

Level 9
ike_ike's Deep Diver - All I can think of when I see this model is Bohrak (Bionicle - Lego)
kohrak.jpg
I wish your model could transform like the Bohrak and look as slick as the Bohrak. Unfortunately your model does not.

Mr.Bob's Area 51 - Cool - but not cool enough

Pyramidhe@d's DaftTank - Cool - but not cool enough

Thrikodius' WraithMage - Didn't try it out.

General Frank's BloodElf Decaminator - "Less is more". Awesome as hell but.. there is a bit much going on, on that poor glowblob/tank

anarchianbedlam - Project Odin - Got my vote, Shamanyouranus best explains my feelings about this model.
shamanyouranus: HOLY....F@*#ING....SHIT!
This is undoubtedly your most amazing (finish) model ever. And only 199 kb? Holy freakin' crapsicles. Anyway, enough of my annoying banter.
Approved with flying colors and splintered debris.

Last edited:
Level 8
->DeepDiver : Normal form is good. But alternate form should have been more detailed.
->Area-51 : It is ok if you are morphing into ufo. But when you are morphing into building, it comes out of no where.
->Daft Tank : Very well done. I would vote for you If you used better textures.
->Wraith Mage : Nice use of textures and teamcolor. If only it would morph into a dark rider or something.
->Bloodelf Decimator : Very detailed and well done. Morph animations are ok. But other animations are poor.
->Project Odin : Yay! You have done it! It is very unique and animations are well done. I got the blizzard feeling from this. This got my vote.

Level 8
Guys, ffs, Bob's submission isn't SUPPOSED to morph back. The building got crashed, how the heck do you think it'll rebuild itself in such speed?

Aren't all submissions supposed to morph back? Anyway, it can't get enought votes 1 just one morph animation. Maybe a long morph alternate animation with ufo creating that base again would do it ;)

Level 10
What the heck do I choose?

Sheer of Sexyness #1 or Sheer of Sexyness #2? (Frank's or Anarch's)?

Anyway, some thoughts about the models.

DeepDiver: I didn't really like this but the idea was good. Maybe the mesh...or most probably, the skin.

Area-51: God, this was such a great idea. Anyway the Sheers of Sexyness are beating this, or I would have voted for it.

Daft Tank: Wait, I didn't mention this ? Sheer of Sexyness #3 indeed.

Off-topic, screw you for making me screw so hard to choose :s

Blood Elf Decimator: Looks too fucking awesome to be described.

Project Odin: This...
Looks too fucking awesome to be described.

Status
Not open for further replies.