• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14: Poll

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #14

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2111069-post75.html]xorkatoss[/URL]

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2113596-post119.html]alexandero6[/URL]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2115682-post146.html]ExMortis[/URL]

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2117271-post154.html]BeTaGod-[/URL]

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2118894-post166.html]MaTiJa97[/URL]

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2119120-post187.html]Windu[/URL]

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2120629-post201.html]kari0003[/URL]

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2119729-post195.html]Oziris[/URL]

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2120899-post206.html]Azurot[/URL]

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
the%20hive%20workshop.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
4.png

poll.png

160036-albums4747-picture55867.png

Racial Settlements
Participants are to capture a race from the Warcraft lore's special style of construction and portray how it interacts with their habitat/natural enviroment.

Welcome to the poll for Terraining Contest#14! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • Belgarath
  • the mighty fladdermasken
contest%20judging.png

Creativity
Measurement of displayed creativity in terms of execution and/or concept (theme)./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Measurement of executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetic
Overall quality of the terrain in terms of appearance./15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.​

Level 3
I was stuck between matija and Azurot, but in the end Azurot takes my vote for the awesome ruins structures in the distance.
yeah, that's my favorite to, although I can't really see what race he has. anyway good job azuroth:goblin_good_job:

I was happy to see new comers in this contest. However, that doesn't make them treated subjectively.

The ones I liked the most were Oziris's, Azurot's, ExMortis's and Windu's.

@Windu's entry: Apparently, the snow didn't match well after all; Belgarath did suggest you changed it, but I think you gave up too soon. It's obvious that you can do better, comparing the original entry with this.

@Azurot's entry: Probably the highest quality entry. However, it doesn't really reflect a racial settlement, just some random terrain, combined with Aztec-looking elements (pyramids with Naga don't do that much of justice to my eyes).

@Oziris's entry: Very nice lighting, but the use of models was bad. I can't imagine how that high quality rock from Born2Modificate's pack is adapted next to this low quality ramp and tree. The underwater rocks standing out of the water are also a bit out of place. You could take advantage of this concept, but it would require you to focus on color harmony of the basic colors (blue, red, yellow). It currently feels like there is some dissonance.

@ExMortis's entry: Nice try, but something's missing, something like eerie fog floating around the towers' peaks. The use of sky is amiss, since the light source comes from above and the clouds on the sky suggest that the source of light is contrasted from the back. Certain models have been strecthed too much. The terrain could have some extra touches and signs of civilization, such as post latterns. The tileset could have been replaced with imported material. Basically, too close to get my vote.

My vote goes to Azurot.

@alexandero6:
although your terrain is nice, it is definitely not good enough for terraining contests. try to avoid anything very close to camera. also, I can't see what's what in your terrain. this could maybe pass as a map terrain, but definitely not as terraining contest terrain. so, just practice, read some of the site's great tutorials, and then practice some more, and you'll be a great terrainer in no time :D

Level 3
Azurot's terrain really just caught my eyes. The ruins in the background look so grand, standing out against the jungles in a sun that barely can bring it's light to the scene.
It almost tells a story of a people long ago, forced to leave their temples as the waters began to come upon their great structures.

Sorry, went a bit overboard there. Anyways, alot of them were nice, but it came down to 2 in the end: Azurot's and Windu's. Both were very well done, but I had 2 problems with Windu's. One, the snow is too intense, it takes away from the scene itself, and second, I didn't like the look of metallic pipes on the Ziggurats. The one furthest back appears to be unsupported, and it looks strange.

Alexander had an interesting idea with an underground city, but the view was odd and very obscuring.

All in all, I found the scenes without people in them to be very captivating.

Level 48
It was down to Windu, kari0003, Oziris and Azurot for me. Azurot's foreground(or however you call it - the stuff near the camera) looks very bland. I would prefer it if there were patches of grass and flowers and such. The ruins don't look like a racial settlement, either. But the atmosphere looks alright.
kari0003's terrain was also nice, but the models clashed with eachother a lot. It's hard to see what's going on, and there's not a lot of details; Just a lot of random and small buildings and units. I sort of liked the background and the sky, though.
I really liked Oziris' entry. It's very high-quality and looks great. The sky and lighting is great. But there is a big clash in quality among the models. The boxes and barrels, for instance, look very low-quality, and the rock looks too high quality. The trees, shrubbery and water try to look good, but the low quality models(including the wharf itself and the murloc huts) stand out too much. And in addition to that, the scene looks quite... Dead. Empty. Sad. There could've been some crude fishing ships or a few trolls standing around or something. I know that unit models tend to look dreadful, but I really think that for this theme, they would've worked quite well. It all depends on how you place them and such.
Now, Windu's entry I really like. Some details lower the overall quality(like the bad looking walls close to the camera), but otherwise, the image is beautiful. The models work together quite well, nothing seems 'forced'. Sure, there is no beautiful sky or lightning effects, but the snowy atmosphere works quite well. The scene looks like it's full of life and action. And while it doesn't look like a racial settlement, at least it looks like a racial something. An undead village or town doesn't really make much sense, so a base\factory for constructing meat wagons is great.
My vote goes to Windu, but everyone did a wonderful job. ^^

Level 28
It has been a good time since I last passed by the Hive, so I haven't heard of Azurot yet. But man, his terrain really got me!

Tho overall composition is great, I loved how he used the depth aspect given by the distant areas in contrast with the next-to-camera objects! Not to mention the cliffs were built in a way that emphasizes that pretty atmosphere.

He's got my vote! :D

Reactions: Kam
Level 7
(yay, im looking on these forums once again :D)

my top 4 went for xorkatoss, as it made me really feel like it was an actual murloc village, betagod- for the original style it has, windu, because of the awesome athmosphere, poison, wyrms and other nice stuff, and finally kari0003. i voted for him... i was like "wtf it's a screenshot from nagrand... WAIT! it's w3????" i like the theme much and you made an awesome depiction of it. great!

Level 5
I must to admit the deep background and the atmosphere in Azurot's terrain is very "sexy" but my vote goes to MaTiJa97...
Why?
- like the combine of a large space at foreground with looming of buildings in the distance
- Night Elves is my favourite race
- have never seen a luxurious Night Elf before

Level 7
I vote for kari0003.
His village seems to fit the theme of this contest the best - since ogres are somewhat sluggish and uncultured, it makes sense for their village to be crude, with only basic stuff.

However, I find the size of the buildings to be too small, given their clumsiness, the ogres would probably knock over a house just by tripping over a stone or something. Other than that the picture seems reasonable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.