• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #15: Poll

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #15

• [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2452534-post91.html]Twilight[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2454822-post106.html]Shadow Fury[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
5.png

poll.png

Surreal-Artworks-Made-by-Xetobyte-fp.jpg

Feelings/Emotions
Brace yourselves, as we embrace in a big emotional hug and secrete sticky pink goo; it's time for a feelings contest!

Participants are to create a terrain that shows or captures an emotion/feeling, e.g. love, happiness, loneliness, anger, etc.

Welcome to the poll for Terraining Contest #15! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • Gilles
  • 2-P
contest%20judging.png

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aesthetics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Level 21
Chaos. did some pretty awesome work to express a sort of dark romance, but the odd combination of sun beams poking through with the dead forest behind made me lean a bit more toward toby's and fladdermasken's. I don't understand all the model/lighting effects used to get that result, but toby clearly put an insane amount of effort into the background as well as the use of models and lighting in the foreground. Fladdermasken's idea was incredibly creative, but the background feels a little in need of something more. Voting for toby.

Level 37
Why not just link directly to the pictures? That would be a lot easier for everyone.

My vote goes to Chaos because of the atmosphere and nice color choices.

EDIT: Okay, it seems like I watched some wrong pictures of some entries. For example I looked tobyfat50 WIP picture instead of his final. But anyway it's too late to change now my vote so I stick what I voted for. I blame bad poll and my lazyness to read the comments fully.

Level 36
Why not just link directly to the pictures? That would be a lot easier for everyone.

I don't know that I agree. Considering the theme, it's rather helpful to see what emotion the individual terrainers went for being described.

Personally, I'd say Chaos probably captured the theme of the contest best of all, and I especially like how he went for something very conventional and yet still pulled off a rather unique approach, however, the terrainer in me REALLY screams when I look at the back... The lack of a background.

I also really like yours, Toby, but since I'm really really unsure of how much terraining it is as opposed to modelling and shadow-generating and other stuff, I really can't vote in your direction without feeling I've done something wrong, blame my inner terrainer.

And since I can't vote for myself (/Narcissism +1) I went for fladdermasken, mostly because of the lot his terrain is the most technically pleasing terrain; And I'm all about the technical bits. It's also fairly easy on the eyes, my sexy eyes ;)

Concerning the rest: While I like those kinds of terrains you've pulled off sigelang, I've also seen quite a lot of them. The lack of originality really turned me away from it, but it's a nice piece. Twilight; Moon on the horizon and moon-rays from the ceiling really just doesn't work. Yours, Edge, looks a bit too empty for my liking, rushing epic's got too much doodads hugging the screen and shadow fury's just... Green.
- Suffice to say, I think we got a good haul of good entries and a merry good luck to everyone!

Level 16
sigelang's gives me a feel from a specific game I know and played which I'll have to give him credit for, Edge is pretty decent with his terrain and there is also the rest which all have their "likeability" you just can't really say you hate it if you look and keep looking. First places would most definitely go for Keiji and fladdermasken I like both as much, if I were to decide a gold medal I'd have trouble deciding. Chaos would of ben 3'd place and I have to agree that his background definitely sets him somewhat behind you two on terraining details but for emotions and getting what's important in front he just nailed it in my point of view. And I can even like the background because it goes really well with the red all to conventional and I'm not against.
I also really like yours, Toby, but since I'm really really unsure of how much terraining it is as opposed to modelling and shadow-generating and other stuff, I really can't vote in your direction without feeling I've done something wrong, blame my inner terrainer.
That only makes me feel like I've actually done something wrong! I can see your mistrust in my technique and I'm not judging you for that and I can say it was just as much terraining as modeling and shadow generation since I made the entire terrain in the World editor before adding the shadows to it. And here goes my bla bla... You can DL the map and you'll see that only the foreground temple is made with shadow generator while the background is completely made the normal way.

In the rules it states: "Points for technique and execution" Mine is no different to modeling and skinning so the shadow trick goes in that category without breaking any rules.
but toby clearly put an insane amount of effort into the background as well as the use of models and lighting in the foreground.
What was really insane was rendering it with my slow computer, the background wasn't so much work actually, recycled the same buildings if you look closely.
-------------------------------------------
Edit:
Oh no, I voted myself, How I can remove it ??? Sorry , I don't know how to remove . .. . I think you don't need to count my vote or maybe I disqualified , .. T_T
Lol -_-

Level 36
I never stated you've broken the rules, I merely said I was unsure of the degree of which your entry consists of
only terraining, is all. I did, however, state that I liked it. Whether or not I approve of your approach is irrelevant
to the contest, it's not me you've got to convince, it's the judges. (Not that I'm saying you need to convince them.)

Level 16
Yes I know what you meant! The reason I'm repeating myself about the rules is that I'm a little paranoid about it. :vw_death:
Edit: Sorry for using you as a reason to reinforce my statements that was idiotic of me! The paranoia is gone, now I'm chill!
EDIT: Okay, it seems like I watched some wrong pictures of some entries. For example I looked tobyfat50 WIP picture instead of his final. But anyway it's too late to change now my vote so I stick what I voted for. I blame bad poll and my lazyness to read the comments fully.
That stupid WIP seems to be like poison for me! :ogre_rage:

Edit: To all good contenders I wish good luck! :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 15
however, the terrainer in me REALLY screams when I look at the back... The lack of a background.

And the terrainer in me completly agrees with that statement.
I actually had some pretty cool ideas for the background, but everything I tried either took the focal point off of the couple, were out of place, or made the terrain feel cluttered. Unfortunatly I ran out of time before being able to solve that.

So I will probably take a hit in the technical aspect. But I do think that, in the end, it adds to the theme of the terrain. Which the terrain is supposed to be somewhat surreal or dream like. So an actual background (with hills and mountains or something of the sort) would make it more grounded in reality. Which would take away from the dream-like quality. A background would also make it feel like they are just a small part of a large world. By not having a background, and only making the landscape near them, it portrays the fact that nothing else matters but them. Twuu luv!

I do agree, background is lacking, but dat foreground! I mean having to individually place 1529 lilipads for the leaves has got to count for something. :p

Seriously though, was a fun contest and a good excuse to wip out the ol' editor. Good luck everyone.

Level 36
I mean having to individually place 1529 lilipads for the leaves has got to count for something. :p

Commendable dedication, for sure. I must admit I was a bit puzzled at how you pulled off that... Redness in the leaves. And I do absolutely love your foreground work.

Maybe, if you plan to work further on it, you could do a silhouetted foresty background. Considering the surrealism of the terrain, you could probably justify a darker background by having the "light" be sort of a floodlight behind the tree, or not specify what it is, but it doesn't necessarily need to be realistic lighting considering the overall tone of the terrain.

Level 15
Maybe, if you plan to work further on it, you could do a silhouetted forest background.

I agree. That was kind of what I was going for. Along with a few surrealistic constructions. The problem was that the fog that was added to give the foreground the lighting that I wanted also screwed over my ideas for the background. Because it has such a high fog density with a z start set to 0, any doodads put past the tree line showed up as a very light grey silhouette. So it ended up taking away from the over-all darker quality and slightly took the focal point away from the center. And at this point in the terrain you can't touch the fog without ruining the lighting of the foreground.

I actually started to make some progress by playing around with the black glow models to darken it a bit. But I ran out of time before making anything noteworthy.

Unfortunatly I generally lose interest in tweeking my terrains after a terrain contest is over. So that will probably stay as is. Unless you wanna give it a go Keiji. :p Rock a co-terrain? lol

you could probably justify a darker background by having the "light" be sort of a floodlight behind the tree, or not specify what it is, but it doesn't necessarily need to be realistic lighting considering the overall tone of the terrain.

To be honest, a "flood light" type idea was what I was going for. Like a light at the end of the tunnel telling you to wake up from that wonderful dream that you're having. It was never intended as a sun flare.

Level 16
I'll agree that it's not as apparent as the other entries but you have to get the fell for yourself, that's why I added a lot of symbolism to it. Reading the text also helps in explaining the feeling but you just have to get it yourself. At the beginning I wanted to go with characters that helped contribute to the emotional fell of the terrain with their apparent human expresion but they gave me hell in rendering lightmaps so I abandoned them going for a more simbolistic terrain. I didn't have the necessary time to... do it.

There's no need for characters, the terrain alone says it all, actually... it's pretty obvious!

peq

peq

Level 6
I voted for tobyfat50, although I think using an image as a foreground and background is a little bit of cheating, even if the image is imported into the map. But even without that, the whole landscape and layout of the scene is really nice and the models are very good.

Level 16
Thanks, I appreciate it but there are no images in the background and foreground! For the background you are probably referring to the sky model. The texture for the sky is a picture from a personal photo I took. The only Image used is the sun glow effects which work like billboard planes models (one model actualy) which in tern is the same as a glow model although I did take a screenshot of the terrain and photoshopped my effects accordingly, it still remains a billboard model. That's the only thing I actually photoshop and I did not use it on my image to enhance the look as it means rule breaking, it all works in game, it was all my work top to bottom so there's no cheating!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Your not the only one whos first time to joining the contest
and also (voted myself as the other's did(randomly))
AW I JUST RANDOMLY VOTED MA SELF TOO!
Oh no, I voted myself, How I can remove it ??? Sorry , I don't know how to remove . .. . I think you don't need to count my vote or maybe I disqualified , .. T_T
... or did you just not realize votes weren't anonymous until after you voted?..

Level 36
I'm marginally tempted to call "disqualify"... >.>
- But then, death picked up the phone.

If the case be you voted for yourselves, knowing you shouldn't, and then repenting it
because you thought you'd get away with it. It's the intent I don't like, not the act.

Level 14
So yeah...

Chaos definitely has the best.

Fladdy is next.

And Toby just scares me. I don't know how to judge any of what's going on here. It transcends into such a different realm of possibilities that it doesn't seem fair to put him against any one else. He's integrated his skill sets in such a way that his terrains are at such an unfair advantage that I feel unable to give him the credit he clearly deserves. Call me an oldfart, but it's just not feeling like good-old wc3 terraining anymore. It's too fucking good.

So yeah...

Level 13
Being able to remove a vote wouldn't be appropriate because it removes any credibility.
They made a decision and have to live with it. It is ridiculous to say that they did it by accident, because one does not vote by selecting an option but by confirming the selection made.

Status
Not open for further replies.