1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #13 - POLL!

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Pyritie, Apr 29, 2009.

?

Vote!

Poll closed May 6, 2009.
  1. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1083129-post302.html]Shrine of Khorne[/url] by Pyramidhe@d

5.6%
  2. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1067898-post189.html]Chinese Temple[/url] by Mr. Bob

8.3%
  3. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1072860-post223.html]Necro Stronghold[/url] by HappyTauren

26.4%
  4. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1082947-post301.html]Shrine of the Deathwalker[/url] by Thri

8.3%
  5. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1100229-post354.html]Human Barracks[/url] by Skrab

19.4%
  6. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1100414-post355.html]Papylon[/url] by xXMephistoXx

2.8%
  7. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1086348-post322.html]Towers[/url] by Mechanical Man

27.8%
  8. [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1101279-post367.html]Slave hut[/url] by ike_ike

1.4%
  1. Thrikodius

Thrikodius

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually it's about "Looking great in-game".

2. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shrine of Khorne:
    Looks like random doodads bunched together instead of something we could call a building. Yes, the doodads are custom, there are even more tier animations, but I don't really like buildings without fundaments and where I have to use too much immagination to figure out what it is.

Chinese temple:
    Nice model, although I see room for several improvements. Like more build meshes, colision shape, better proportions and paper thin walls disturb me a bit (but aren't there in China or Japan used very thin walls). Adding interior is nice, but not really noticeable in game, but it could be used for cinematics or close terrain shots, also the portrait could show this part to somehow highlight it.

Necro stronghold:
    Mesh itself is very good, but the skin it's too monochromatic for my taste and anims nije baš nešto. Also it isn't really that original :p *cough* homm5 *cough*

Shrine of the Deathwalker:
    Apparently Thrikodius managed to make much better stuff, so that rule "if Thrikodius can do it, everyone can" doesn't apply anymore, I'm sure that MasterHaosis wouldn't be able to do this :p Although is quite simple, a skull over pool with claws around, but it could be used as altar or something.

Human Barracks:
    Quite good, build animation it's especially good (I wonder if Armies of Exigo's barracks has also such animation). It has almost everything that wc3 buildings do, only thing that bothers me is why the tower part remains after death, which is particularly annoying as your troops can then move through it. Good choice to use it as alternate wc3 barracks.

Papylon:
    If the author could say something what that thing actually is, I could say something about it. But now I'm just confused what this guy wanted to do.

Slave hut:
    Meh, too simple imo, it's just a murloc in cage, it would be more suitable as a doodad, not a buildable building.

For the vote, I'm confused between skrab and Mr.Bob, but I'll vote Mr.Bob because it's more original :D and it I will use it in my next Naruto map :D

1. Mr.Bob
    2. skrab
    3. HappyTauren
    4. Thrikodius
    5. Pyramidhe@d
    6. ike_ike
    7. xXMephistoXx

3. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yay! Another voter for my cause! Hope is not all lost... lol

Anyway, cheers me lads! Not a single person made a really 'sucky' model. They are all pretty good in my opinion. I'll be back later to give my full opinions on all of the models.

4. Palaslayer

Palaslayer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    so, actually you tightened the rules? so it is called cheating if you ask an actual friend of yours to vote for you? or only when you ask random members?

5. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Asking anyone to specifically vote for you is against the rules. However, having something in your signature such as "Modeling contest poll!" or "Vote!" is fine. Something like "Vote for me and get FREE +REP :infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up:" is not.

6. syltman

syltman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are you allowed to put into the sig "Rep me and I'll vote for your contest submission"?

7. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, because that would be violating the Hive rule "Do not ask for reputation".

8. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yep, what Avator said.

9. Palaslayer

Palaslayer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    but a funny idea, indeed.

10. syltman

syltman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh, that shut me up

11. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Mechanical man's towers > Director's cut.

12. FlowerofSpeech

FlowerofSpeech

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi, new poster here. I've played Warcraft 3 on and off for a while, and I was intrigued by this modeling contest. The lack of custom building models has always confused me. They appear to be much easier to make than units.

I'm rating these models on 3 qualities: size, design, and usefulness.

Khorne:

Size 5/5; less than 75kb
    Design: 0/5; There's no design here. The "building" lacks substance. There's no structure here, just some doodads and a strange icon.
    Usefulness: 3/5; I can see some usefulness here. Although it lacks any flair or style it would be useful if you needed another altar/hero summoning building for your custom race.

Temple: Size 2/5; It's over 150kb making it a little unwieldly for custom maps that might want to use many custom models.
    Design 4/5; It's a little bland but a well designed building. It looks nice.
    Usefulness 4/5; Size aside, I cannot out right say this is incredibly useful for WC3, since it won't really fit the style. But it could be useful for those 'Risk-esque' maps.

Necro:
    Size: 1/5; It's just too big for me personally. Yes, it's under 300 kb, but it's still unwieldy for more than single player campaigns.
    Design 3/5: It's weird. Honestly. It's creative, but it's weird. Both versions. I don't really see this as belonging to any particular race, so...
    Usefulness 2/5: It doesn't have much use. There may be a custom campaign use, but I cannot see this as being more useful than the other cathedral buildings that come in the mpq.

Shrine: Size 4/5; Just under 100 kb
    Design: 3.5/5; Simple design but fairly effective. The thing that ruins it for me is the skull.
    Usefulness: 4/5; Pretty useful. But what's up with the altar trend here?

Barracks: Size 2/5; 200kb same reasons as previous submissions
    Design: 2.5/5; Simple, but I don't like the huge negative space in the middle, nor the switch from the red roofing to the castle walls. There should be some white in the back of the model to balance it out, too.
    Usefulness: 4/5 Very useful, despite my criticism, I could see this as being a good alternative to the overused human Barracks, even if to me, this model just looks like a geomerge.

Papylon: I could not get this model to work and I wasn't bothered enough to find a screenshot of it. So I can't rate it, sadly. I thought you weren't allowed to have custom skins anyway?

Towers: Size 4/5
    Design: 4.5/5 Aesthetically pleasing, nice color scheme.
    Usefulness: 3.5/5 Kind of useful. You could use it as a unit production building or a defensive structure. It doesn't seem to really mesh with anything though, but maybe that's just me.

Slave Hut: Size: I want to give this a 0/5 since there's no reason such a simple model should be 100 kb, but I feel that's too harsh; 2/5 since it's still under 100 kb
    Design: 2/5 It's simple. I think the cage could be more detailed (or less rickety looking) and perhaps it needs a custom ground texture... but it's not bad.
    Usefulness: 3/5 I don't know how useful this is really, but I like the idea. It could be useful for custom campaigns and certain tower defense maps, or something.

Overall I find Towers to be the best model, with Chinese Temple for second place.

13. ike_ike

ike_ike

Resources:
    Resources:
    I PUT SO MUCH EFFORT IN MINE D:

Yeah..

Most of these buildings were awesome. Some to a slightly lesser degree though...

I went for HT. 'Cos it's green. And demonic. And a bit long. But it was just a really awesome model :x

14. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry. I looked at the image and thought that was the one. I didn't read the comments on the actual contest thread.

15. Amaruak

Amaruak

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Vote goes for Human Barracks. Its well made + I find most usefull, I will use it in my map if you upload this :) Love the concept, simple but... you know :p

16. Leeroy

Leeroy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I must say the idea of Skrab was rather classic. Don't know why I liked it so much, but my vote went to Skrab. My Magos is bugged so I couldn't control anims and Mechanical's model.

If I had a second vote, it would have gone to Thrikodius.

EDIT: Omg I should have voted for HT D:

17. Wolfhelm

Wolfhelm

Resources:
    Resources:
    My vote is for Mechanical Man, i didnt try in in-game but looks really awesome.. if it can be scaled up without stretching too bad i may want to make a terrain around that tower.

18. DonDustin

DonDustin

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I also voted last contest and my vote was /= the model with most judging points

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Posting to subscribe.

If this thing goes on long enough, I'll actually download the models (*gasp*) and check it out before I vote. However, from what I can see, (just about) everyone did a good job and lots of quality work was put out from this thing. :p

*sniff* no Altar contest, though *sniff*

20. Palaslayer

Palaslayer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    next contest. everybody post a screen instead of the model...