• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Editing

Level 5
How To: Edit Models
By Fabioz

Because this tutorial is so long, I am releasing this as an UNFINISHED product.

AGAIN: This is a work in progress!

But, constructive criticism is appreciated.

GhostandNot.jpg

Introduction:

What will we be doing?
We will edit Blizzard's models. NOTE:Without animation.​

Are these programs free? And completely free, there isn't any trail version?
Yes, these programs are completely free!​

Tools required:

Vertex Modifier:

BlankVertexModify.jpg

Selection:
  • Select: When highlighted, any points you select will light up, and will be modified. But, if you select new points, these points will be unselected.
  • Add: When highlighted, any points you select will light up, and will be modified. But, if you select new points, the new points and the old points will all be slected.
  • Deselct: When highlighted, any points you select will be unselected. But not any of the other already selected points.

Transformations:

NOTE: When you want to translate certain vertexes, right-click, not left.
  • Move: When highlighted, any points selected will translate.
  • Rotate: When highlighted, any points selected will rotate around the center of mass.
  • Scale: When highlighted, any points selected will shrink or grow around the center of mass.
  • Extrude: When highlighted, any points selected will be cloned in the same position as the older ones, but translated to a new position. This is very useful.

Other Useful Things:
  • X: When highlighted, any points will not be affected in the X axis, during a transformation.
  • Y: When highlighted, any points will not be affected in the Y axis, during a transformation.
  • Z: When highlighted, any points will not be affected in the Z axis, during a transformation.

War3 Model Editor:

BlankWar3Editor.jpg

File:
  • New: Open a blank model. Not very useful.
  • Open: Open an existing model. Extensions: .mdl or .mdx
  • Save: Save the open model. Extentions: .mdl or .mdx
  • Save as: Save a model under a certain file name.
  • Close: Close the currently open model. If you did not save the model, it will prompt you.
  • Import: Open a model from these extensions: .md2 and .ms3d.
  • Exit: Close the entire program.

Recent Files:
  • Clear: Clears the recent files list.

Edit:
  • Register Extensions: Register extensions so you can double click and quickly open files.
  • Calculate Extents: Calculates how much space (X,Y,Z) the model will use. You will probably never use this.
  • Properties: Edits the way the War3 Model Editor looks. Not very useful.
  • Model Properties: Here you can see the extent of you model and rename it.
  • Model Info: Here you can see statistics of your model.

View:
  • Resize Window...: You can return the window size to default.
  • Reset Camera: Set the camera to default.

Team Color:
  • Set the color that the current model will use as its team color.

Windows:
  • Model Editor: Here you can edit the mesh of the model. I will go through this in depth later.
  • Animation Controller: Control what animation the current model is doing.
  • Node Manager: This is very useful and can do many things, from particle emitters to creating omnilight. I will go through this in depth later.
  • Camera Manager: Creates camera angles for portraits.
  • Geoset Manager: Manage specific parts of a mesh, called geosets.
  • Geoset Animation Manager: Same as the geoset manager, but causes the model to change color or animate.
  • Texture Manager: Use, delete, or import textures from here.
  • Texture Animation Manager: Allows you to animate a texture. Like water.
  • Material Manager: Choose where you want to use textures along with team color.
  • Sequence Manager: Manage the animations.
  • MPQ Browser: A very important tool, allows you to browse through the MPQ file of warcraft. I will go through this in depth later.

Extras:
  • Loading Screen Creator: Assists in creating loading screens.
  • Colored Text: Creates the code for gradient and solid text colors.

Re-texturing a Model:

Acquire Resources:
  1. Go to windows and open the MPQ Browser. At the bottom of the list.
  2. A window should pop up, looking like this:
    BlankMPQ.jpg
  3. Go to file and select either: War3.mpq or War3x.mpq. These will be the range of models/scripts/etc. you will browse. War3x.mpq is for the expansion.
  4. For this tutorial, I will be using War3x.mpq and using the model "Unit\Creep\Zombie\Zombie.mdx".
  5. Double click the model you want to use and look at the War3 Model Editor screen.
  6. Save the model as a .mdl file. Type: "Whateveryouwanthere.mdl" or select file type as .mdl.
  7. Next, open the MPQ Browser again and find the texture you want to use. Mine will be "Unit\Undead\Ghoul\Ghoul.blp".
  8. Don't open your file! Right-click the file and select "export". Save your file as whatever you want and where ever.
  9. Because the Vertex Modifier can't open .blp's, you will have to convert the file into .jpg.
  10. Copy and paste the BLP/TGA converter into the folder where your .blp file is.
  11. Click on your .blp file and drag it on top of the file convert program. Like this:
    FileConvert.jpg
  12. Now that you have the .blp in .tga format, open the file in IrfanView.
  13. In IrfanView, save the .tga file as a .jpg file.

Re-texturing the Model:
  1. Open the Vertex Modifier and open your model file. Mine is the zombie
  2. It may ask which geoset. A geoset is a certain part of the model mesh, the part you want to retexture can be any of the geosets, you will have to find this on your own. My geoset I want is in the 1st geoset.
  3. Once you find the geoset you want to work in, go to tools and UV mapping. It should look something like this:
    ZombieUVMap.jpg
  4. Once the UV mapping window pops up, click on "Load Image" at the top right.
  5. Load your .jpg file of the texture you want to use. It should then look something like this:
    ZombieMap.jpg
  6. Now, all you need to do is move around the vertexs (the squares) and put the faces (triangles that make up the mesh) onto the parts of the texture that you want to show. Mine looks like this:
    GhoulUVMap.jpg
    TIPS:
    • Select certain vertexes and use the drop-down menu that says "Top", "Front", and "Left" and click the "Remap" button. This will make the selected vertexes look like if you were looking at the model from those views.
    • Select vertexes outside of the UV mapper and they will be selected in the UV mapper when you go to it.
  7. When you are satisfied, click "Save Changes".
  8. Save your model and exit the Vertex Modifier.
  9. Open the War3 Model Editor and open your model. If your model looks like crap, don't worry. We haven't told the model to even use the texture.
  10. Go to the MPQ browser and look for the texture that you used. Right-click this texture and select "Use as texture".
  11. Go back and go to "Windows" and select "Material Manager". It should look like this:
    ZombieMaterialManger.jpg
  12. Double-click on one of the materials, and when a new window pops up, double click the material layer in this window. It looks like this:
    MaterialEditor2.jpg
  13. In the next window you should see the texture that that material uses. If the texture is the one you re-textured, go into the drop-down menu and find your new texture. Mine looked like this:
    MaterialEditor1.jpg
  14. Now press ok and get back to the main screen. Your model should look beautiful! Mine look like this:
    GhouldMappedZombie.jpg

Editing the Mesh of a Model:

Editing the mesh of the model is easy, while re-texturing is not so easy.

1. Open the War3 Model Editor and go to the MPQ browser, or open the file you want to edit.
  2. For this tutorial, I will be using "war3.mpq" and "Unit/Human/Knight/Knight.mdx"
  3. Now, with your model successfully loaded, save it as a .mdl.
  4. Open the .mdl file in Vertex Modifier.
  5. All I am doing is deleting the legs of the model. Here is where I selected and deleted:
    Knightlegs.jpg
  6. I had to delete the legs in two of the geosets, so check all the geosets! I also deleted the joust.
  7. This is where you can edit the mesh all you want. Make things bigger, delete things, shorten things, do anything you want!
  8. Now, my model looks like this:
    LeglessKnight.jpg
Adding Particle Emitters:
  1. Thank you to BlinkBoy for the explanation of many of these.
  2. With this model, I am going to make it "Ghosty". So, I am going to add a particle emitter.
  3. Go to the Node manager and right click in the window and select "Create Particle Emitter 2".
  4. Now, right-click the particle emitter and rename it (if you want) and type in the coordinates of where you want the emitter to be. Mine is at 0, 0, 20.
  5. Now double-click the emitter and edit the variables to your liking.

Particle Emitter Options
    • Visibility: Visinility can be animated with 4 types of interpolations: DontInterp(Default for On/Off visibility), Linear, Bezier and Hermite. Using a Global sequence on a linear/bezier/hermite animation frame of visibility ranging from 0 to 1 to 0, produces fading In-Out particles, which is quite nice to tingle effects.
    • Emission Rate: How many particles are released per second.
    • Speed: How many units per second the particles move
    • Variation: This varies the speed you have set. So if you set the speed to 30 and the variation to 20, each particle will travel at a speed between 10 and 50.
    • Latitude: The range goes from 0 to 180 degrees, the size of the degree will increase the degree of spread.
    • Width: Width of the emitter plane where particles are created randomly from its surface area.
    • Length: Length of the emitter plane where particles are created randomly from its surface area.
      Note: Magos mixed width and length.
    • Gravity: This is how much gravity will play a part in your emitter. Setting this to a positive number will make the particles go down, while a negative number will make it go up.
    • Texture ID: This specifies the texture that is used as the particles.
    • Filter Mode: This changes the art of the texture, as much as I could figure out. This is almost always set to "Additive".
    • Segment 1: This is not seen. Unless "Time" is set to a different variable.
    • Segment 2: This is seen first (or second). This color mixes with segment 1 (If time is set correctly)
    • Segment 3: This is seen last, this color mixes with segment 2.
    • Alpha (0 - 255): This is how much of this emitter is visible. 0 = Invisible while 255 = completely visible.
    • Scale: This is the size of the particle.
    • Lifespan Head UV Anim: Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the first half of the Head particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
    • Decay Head UV Anim: Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the second half of the Head particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
    • Lifespan Tail UV Anim: Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the first half of the Tail particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
    • Decay Tail UV Anim: Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the second half of the Tail particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
    • Rows and Columns: Rows and Columms cut the image being emulated by rows and columms. This is made for animated texture particles. An example of how to use it is in the texture: "Textures\Clouds8x8.blp" you must set the rows to 8 and columms to 8, this will produce adecuate particles and can be animated.
    • Life Span: Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the first half of the Head particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
    • Tail Length: I did not notice any changes when editing this variable.
    • Time: This is the amount of time each segment is to be seen. This allows segment one to be seen, if you set it to one.
    • Flags:
      • Unshaded: The particles do not use lighting and are always full bright.
      • Unfogged: Particles ignore distance fog.
      • Alpha Key: I do not notice any changes. Do not check
      • Line Emitter: Whether or not particles move in three directions, or two.
      • Sort Primitives Far Z: Keeps particles "in order". Keep this checked
      • Model Space: Whether or not particles move with the emitter.
      • XY Quad: Causes the particles to be a type of tail that orients to the XY grid.
      • Squirt: I do not notice any changes.
      • Head: The particle is a billboarded square quad.
      • Tail: A tail particle is billboarded along the axis of motion and stretches in length based on speed.
  6. My Particle Emitter Node looks like this:
    GhostParticleEmitter.jpg
  7. My model now looks like this:
    KnightGhostEmitter.jpg

Making the Model "Ghostly"
  1. Now that we have the particle emitter, the solid model looks weird, lets make it transparent.
  2. Go to "Windows" and select Material Manager.
  3. Double-click one of the Materials. Looks like this:
    MaterialEditor1.jpg
  4. Double-click the material in the next window, as such:
    MaterialManager2.jpg
  5. In this window change the "Filter Mode" to Additive. Like this:
    MaterialManager3.jpg
  6. Go through each material and change them all to additive. Then your model should look something like this:
    AdditiveKnight.jpg
  7. Next, I will tint the model blue so it looks ghostly.
  8. Go to windows and Geoset Animation manager.
  9. Open every single one and change the color to whatever color you want and check the "Use Color" box.
  10. With each one colored, check out the model by using the Animation Controller in "Windows".
  11. The model should now look like this:
    View attachment 45872

That is the end of this part!
This tutorial is presented to The Hive and the Helper!
More will be coming soon!
Please take a look at my other tutorials:
Voting with Dialog Boxes, Model Weapon Attachments with Particle Emitters, and Modeling Day and Night Models with Omnilight!

Attachments:
GhoulUVMap.jpgGhostParticleEmitter.jpgZombieUVMap.jpgMaterialManager3.jpgGhouldMappedZombie.jpgMaterialEditor1.jpgBlankWar3Editor.jpgZombieMap.jpgGhoul.jpgAdditiveKnight.jpgKnightGhostEmitter.jpgGhostandNot.jpgBlankMPQ.jpgMaterialManager2.jpgGhostlyKnight.jpgKnightlegs.jpgMaterialEditor2.jpgZombieMaterialManger.jpgFileConvert.jpgLeglessKnight.jpgBlankVertexModify.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have a lot of mistakes in the particle emitter's concepts, hope you can fix them.

Visibility: 0 = Not Visible; 1-Infinity = Visible.

Not wrong but incomplete. Visinility can be animated with 4 types of interpolations: DontInterp(Default for On/Off visibility), Linear, Bezier and Hermite. Using a Global sequence on a linear/bezier/hermite animation frame of visibility ranging from 0 to 1 to 0, produces fading In-Out particles, which is quite nice to tingle effects.

Lattitude: This one is really neat! The measurments for this variable is degrees. 0 means all particles will travel up. If set on 360 particles will start from the middle and travel out in any direction.

the range for angle is 0 to 180, 180 produces a wide spreading as well, a 90º produces a widespread at the facing of the emitter.

Width: This is how long you want your particle emitter.
Length: This is how thick you want your particle emitter.

"Width and Length: Width and Length of the emitter plane where particles are created randomly from it's surface." -ArtTools.

Rows: This sets how many rows of particles are emitted. I do not recomend changing this. It will look boxy if you do.

Columns: This sets how many columns of particles are emitted. I do not recomend changing this. It will look boxy if you do.

Rows and Columms cut the image being emulated by rows and columms. This is made for animated texture particles. An example of how to use it is in the texture: "Textures\Clouds8x8.blp" you must set the rows to 8 and columms to 8, this will produce adecuate particles and can be animated.

I guess I'll quote the Art Tools documentation instead:
BlizParticle options
Count – Has no effect.
Speed – Initial velocity of created particles. Can be animated.
Variation % – Random variation % of speed.
Cone Angle – Angle of random spray pattern from center. A value of 180 will cause particles to emit in a 360-degree ball.
Timing options
Life – Number of seconds each particle continues to be drawn after its creation.
Parts/Sec – Number of particles created per second. Can be animated.
Squirt – When the Squirt option is checked and an animated stepped Bezier controller is used on parts/sec, a large number of particles will emit simultaneously on the parts/sec keys in the amount of the key value. This is good for explosion effects.
Width and Length – Width and length of the emitter plane where particles are created randomly from its surface area.
Line Emitter – Cause the cone spray pattern to lock to one axis.
Texure options
Blend, Add, Modulate, Mod, Mod 2X, and Alpha Key - Identical to the options in the Warcraft III material. Alpha Key is also known as 2 Bit Alpha.
Texture Filename – The .TGA texture being used for the particles.
Rows and Cols – If the particle is using sections of the texture at a time, you can use these options to set the number of rows and columns in a texture. Animating texture particles can be made to have frames all on one texture map that start at the top left and go to the right.
Unshaded – The particles do not use lighting and are always full bright.
Unfogged – Particles ignore distance fog.
Replaceable texture – Can be set to team glow to create procedurally colored glowing particles for a unit.

Particle options

Head – The particle is a billboarded square quad.
Tail – A tail particle is billboarded along the axis of motion and stretches in length based on speed.
Both – Draws both heads and tails.
Tail Length – A multiplier to the calculated tail particle length.
Time (parametric) Middle – The relative time of the middle key to the life.
Color, Start/Middle/End – Three values of RGB Multiply for the particle.
Alpha, Start/Middle/End – Three alpha values for the particle. Zero is transparent.
Scale, Start/Middle/End – Scale of the particle in units across.
Lifespan Head UV Anim – Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the first half of the Head particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
Decay Head UV Anim - Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the second half of the Head particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
Lifespan Tail UV Anim - Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the first half of the Tail particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
Decay Tail UV Anim - Starting and ending cell number for animating texture sequence of the second half of the Tail particle’s life. Repeat will cause this animating texture to cycle.
Other options
Priority Plane – When you are using blend mode, the Priority Plane option can cause particles to draw in a specific order with other blend objects in the same model. The lower the number, the earlier the particles will draw.
Particles in Model Space – Causes animation of the particle emitter to be carried over to the particles.
XY Quads – Causes the particles to be a type of tail that orients to the XY grid.

Specially notice Head LifeSpan UV Anim, Head Decay UV Anim and Tails respectively. You completely got those concepts wrong

Anyways I would suggest you to add some animation transfering, Geoset merging and creation(creating geos for your model) in order for it to be approved. Also change the title to Model Editing: Beginners Start.

Level 3
I tried downloading that Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier and for some reason i says im missing a dependency and i have gone to other websites downloading and still says that. is there any other programs i have to download for it to work i would really like to remodel but i got this giant wall in my way. Plz anyone help me.

Level 2
I can open it just fine, i have windows XP. I just downloaded it from this forum and opened it in winzip.

Level 5
Are you opening it with the mpq browser or opening it when you have the program open? I know that if you simply savea model into your documents or something and try to double click it, it does not open.... Other than this, I dont know why its not working.

Level 3
Little note about the following:
Re-texturing a Model:

Acquire Resources:

1. Go to windows and open the MPQ Browser. At the bottom of the list.
2. A window should pop up, looking like this:
blankmpq.jpg
3. Go to file and select either: War3.mpq or War3x.mpq. These will be the range of models/scripts/etc. you will browse. War3x.mpq is for the expansion.
4. For this tutorial, I will be using War3x.mpq and using the model "Unit\Creep\Zombie\Zombie.mdx".
5. Double click the model you want to use and look at the War3 Model Editor screen.
6. Save the model as a .mdl file. Type: "Whateveryouwanthere.mdl" or select file type as .mdl.
7. Next, open the MPQ Browser again and find the texture you want to use. Mine will be "Unit\Undead\Ghoul\Ghoul.blp".
8. Don't open your file! Right-click the file and select "export". Save your file as whatever you want and where ever.
9. Because the Vertex Modifier can't open .blp's, you will have to convert the file into .jpg.

I "found" the way how to do it with out converting, you can do it so: Right-Click on the texture and choose Use It As Textures, then you go to Texture Manager and Right-Click on the that texture choosing 'Export'. While exporting, you'll have to choose the type of file you want that to texture to be exported as. I guess the options of choice depend on computer, but my PC (Win Vista) gives me next options to save the exported file as: *.bmp, *.tga, *.png, *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.pcx, *.blp. Simply type a dot right after the file name and type the desired file type you want that file to be exported as (e.g. Kinght.blp or Knight.jpg)

Level 5
So... do we HAVE to use oinkerwinkle's or can we actually edit/add to the model in War3Modeleditor? I'd like to save some trips and just edit the mesh of the huntress into using a sword/spear instead of the three bladed thing. Any way to add new vertices into a model or am I stuck with the ones in the huntress file from the mpq?

Last edited:
Level 15
Hey, I run through your steps with the zombie etc and when i try to load the zombie in MDL Vertex Modifier, it gives me the error message "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range" Any ideas?:hohum:

dude help my blp converter isn't working it only shows up for one sec then it vanishes!!!!HELP!!!!

ubran i believe that is a shurikun the huntress usually uses.a weapon favored by ninjas.and huntresses apparently.lol:xxd:

zary if i am correct that is in the windows i think

yup at the very bottom of the windows tab

holy cow help people help help help!!!!my model is starting to mess up i wanted to make a captain paladin!and i don't know what to do..

also i hate my model he's currently weird

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
Umm...

My Vertexmodifier doesn't work when i open it it says ''Warning: You are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting. Go to http://www.geocities.com/oinkertools/tutorials.html for instuctions on changing that'' but the site is closed so i press ''OK'' in the warning screen and when i try opening my model (name is ''Zombie.mdx'') it says ''Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range'' what shall i do? :cry::cry::cry::ugly::cry::cry::cry:

PS. I have vista if it helps

Level 6
My Vertexmodifier doesn't work when i open it it says ''Warning: You are using commas as a decimal instead of periods. The program will not work with that setting. Go to http://www.geocities.com/oinkertools/tutorials.html for instuctions on changing that'' but the site is closed so i press ''OK'' in the warning screen and when i try opening my model (name is ''Zombie.mdx'') it says ''Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range'' what shall i do? :cry::cry::cry::ugly::cry::cry::cry:

I had it too, but I found a tutorial in German (I know the basics in the German language) and here's how you do:
I'm not exactly sure about this, since I use XP, but I hope this will atleast help you:
Control Panel, or whatever it's called, Regional and language settings, Customize, something with decimal and replace the "," with ".".
If it helped I would be glad if you +Rep me.

EDIT: Link: http://warcraft.ingame.de/forum/printthread.php?threadid=91741
Picture guide:

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    88.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    103.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    72.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    79.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    791.6 KB · Views: 6,197
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    791.5 KB · Views: 6,250
Level 1
Whenever I try to browse for MPQ files an error comes up saying that Windows cannot open the file. Why does it do that?

Level 19
How do you find the Model File from the Vertex Modifier after opening it, I can't seem to locate the file...

Level 1
I have a problem. When I save a file from the Model Editor as mdl file. I get a Runtime Error that says "R6002 Floating Point Support Error Not Loaded". When I tried to export a unit mdx as mdl and open it with Vertex Modifier, I got an error named "Runtime error 9 Subscript out of range."

Can someone help me with this :(

Level 20
It says component COMDLG32.OCX missing.
:vw_wtf: what is that mean?
It does it to me too. I called a friend who got XP and 7 and he says it works to him in both systems. I'm going to him to use animtransfer. lol

EDIT: i did it on my own. Go to oinkerwinkle site, then download the file from there and run the program as administrator.

Last edited:
Level 15
this is a nice tutorial...could you make one on how to make an axe????also could you make on how to use different textures for different parts of a models body??
if you can,THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

and also :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: :piru: thats my thumbs ups bro...

also the irfanviews resource is gone...what program should i use instead????i don't have any old version and for some reason i can't import the knights dust texture!!!!someone help me with this problem,it does the same thing with everything else,it also says some bogus about the file not existing!!!nevermind apparently the texture actually has to be in the mpq tab weird.....HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Lordperenolde i'd just like to say....your campaigns rock but...i keep having to starting over???was it like that with warcraft orcs and humans??? as i had reached grand hamlet attack on the orc campaign..and i quit and now i have start over at the swamp of sorrows also did you really die??

Last edited:
Level 6
i created a custom model following these instructions. However my model does not show up in world editor or game. i have already tried testing map and restating world editor. What do i do?

update: I messed around with it and he shows up ingame but not in world editor. also the portrait of this on you bottom bar ingame is just gray, it has no portrait

Last edited:
Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier This Account Has Been Suspended wtf help!

Sorry, I've updated the link. Apparently Oinkerwinkle took down his site. (or it may just be down) Luckily, wc3c.net still has the links for download.

i created a custom model following these instructions. However my model does not show up in world editor or game. i have already tried testing map and restating world editor. What do i do?

update: I messed around with it and he shows up ingame but not in world editor. also the portrait of this on you bottom bar ingame is just gray, it has no portrait

It could be for a number of reasons. I recommend that you create a new thread in the modeling forum to get your question answered.

Anyway, try deleting it, removing the object editor references to it, saving, closing WE, reopening, then importing it again. It may fix the problem of not showing the editor.

You also should be sure that the default animation has the model visibly shown.

Level 11
Umm...

heres a tutorial if if needed
How to Customize Numbers Format on Windows 10