• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mod Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I could make a rather well-made essay about how communism is playing a detrimental factor to this site, and it wouldn't really matter if no one actually presents a viable solution.

So there are too many teenage moderators. Well-mannered, mature adults who frequent this site and are willing to become moderators aren't tripped over every day, and having teenage moderators is arguably better than having no moderators at all.

Yes, unless a bunch of consistently well mannered adults who were interested in WC3 and moderating forums suddenly sprung up(which goes against consistency, since they just sprung up), the current staff will have to do their best. I think you made that point quite clearly in your previous post.

I think a viable band-aid to the problem would be to make sure moderators kept in mind that they were moderators, first and foremost. That their job is to be a fair judge and enforcer of the rules, without bias, and that they should think about how they act before they act, rather than make excuses or go into hiding after the deed is done.

Level 26
Yes, unless a bunch of consistently well mannered adults who were interested in WC3 and moderating forums suddenly sprung up(which goes against consistency, since they just sprung up), the current staff will have to do their best. I think you made that point quite clearly in your previous post.
Evidently, not clearly enough, as useless discussion pertaining this topic continued.
I think a viable band-aid to the problem would be to make sure moderators kept in mind that they were moderators, first and foremost. That their job is to be a fair judge and enforcer of the rules, without bias, and that they should think about how they act before they act, rather than make excuses or go into hiding after the deed is done.
Mods don't "go into hiding". Controversial actions are taken to the mod lobby.

Level 25
Mods don't "go into hiding". Controversial actions are taken to the mod lobby.

This

Seriously though, give me an example of us going into hiding. What, are you just complaining because we don't let you see all of the boring moderator work that goes on behind the scenes? If you really want to know the nitty gritty just ask, but I warn you, its boring

Level 12
I think a viable band-aid to the problem would be to make sure moderators kept in mind that they were moderators, first and foremost. That their job is to be a fair judge and enforcer of the rules, without bias, and that they should think about how they act before they act, rather than make excuses after the deed is done.

How's about that instead?

Out of what I said, couldn't you possibly have more to add than just picking apart the word 'hiding'?

Level 6
Age limit for mods. 18+ with an comprehension test given.
If you score less than post secondary (University) levels on the comprehension you aren't allowed to be a mod. No offense to all the younger mods out there but most kids aren't ready for any type of power. It goes straight to their heads and feeds their hormone driven egos. The comprehension test makes sure they aren't little Hitlers in the making.

Level 40
Age limit for mods. 18+ with an comprehension test given.
If you score less than post secondary (University) levels on the comprehension you aren't allowed to be a mod. No offense to all the younger mods out there but most kids aren't ready for any type of power. It goes straight to their heads and feeds their hormone driven egos. The comprehension test makes sure they aren't little Hitlers in the making.
Last time I checked, some of the best mods are under 18, and some of the worst are above.

IE: There isn't much of a correlation.

Level 6
Last time I checked, some of the best mods are under 18, and some of the worst are above.

IE: There isn't much of a correlation.

That's why in conjunction the comprehension test would work wonders. If I followed my suggestion the age limit would be flexible but the comprehension test would be law.

Level 14
There can never be a fixed criteria for what makes a good moderator. I can tell you right now all of the things that make a bad staff member, but all of what makes a good moderator is case-dependent. Age is a number and says nothing one way or another, it never does... Except in bed.

Settle in knowing that if someone arises with the right qualities, he/she/it will be found by the staff. Telling the current staff what to look for really won't do any good, one of the few things they all agree on are the qualities of a good moderator.

Level 12
I'd like to point out that Hawkwing is not part of the hormonally challenged age group.

Also that he does, in fact, seem to be one of the best mods currently residing on this forum. I have not seen him once overstep his bounds or be particularly rude when he need not be.

Level 6
Secondly, what makes you think that more intelligent people wield power better? They often do so much worse, since they know how to get and hold it (sometimes), and are just as likely to be hungry for it.

That's why a comprehension test would work wonders rather than an I.Q. test. Comprehension tests show common sense and an ability to understand situations they may encounter. Anyhow you guys are right the age thing doesn't matter.

Level 14
I'd like to point out that Hawkwing is not part of the hormonally challenged age group.

Hawkwing is 13. All thirteen year olds are teenagers. Therefore, Hawkwing is a teenager. All teenagers are slaves to their innate teenage hormones. Therefore, Hawkwing is a slave to his innate teenage hormones.

This is a logically valid statement. Unless you wish to argue with the other premises, it means you've been talking bullshit by your own admission.

The fact I made was that teenagers lack experience, and even if they may have a cool head or fair understanding of certain matters, they are all slaves to their innate teenage hormones

Level 12
Hawkwing is 13. All thirteen year olds are teenagers. Therefore, Hawkwing is a teenager. All teenagers are slaves to their innate teenage hormones. Therefore, Hawkwing is a slave to his innate teenage hormones.

This is a logically valid statement. Unless you wish to argue with the other premises, it means you've been talking bullshit by your own admission.

The Hive's active users and staff are mostly teenagers(there are a few I have not asked)-- Not older gents like myself, but 14-18 year old kids in high school.

While your statement is logically valid, it is inaccurate. Since Hawkwing has not gone through puberty, the hormones within him are not strong enough to affect his judgment.

In my original statement, you'll find that I excluded Hawkwing's age from the list. I'll ask you to please stop trying to turn this into a very pointless flame war. You're becoming more and more part of the problem, and not the white knight you're disillusioned to be.

Level 40
That's why a comprehension test would work wonders rather than an I.Q. test. Comprehension tests show common sense and an ability to understand situations they may encounter. Anyhow you guys are right the age thing doesn't matter.
So what if they do? I'm not referring to the people who are clueless, I'm talking about the people who are smart and will manipulate the system; they're the ones you need to watch out for most of all anyhow.

Level 14
I'm confused as to how Vega's statement about the vast majority of teenagers is being taken by the entire forum as applying to all teenagers. I agree with his statement (in America), that teenagers on the whole are as he describes, but that says nothing about the legitimacy of there existing exceptions.

Besides, what the hell does this have anything to do with anything anymore? Christ, you people suck, you've even got me doing it. Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.