• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Contest: Wc3:WoW Terrain Competition {FINISHED}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25

Wc3:WoW's WoW Terrain Look-Alike Mini-Contest
Contest Deadline: Contest is over.
Greetings fellow users of Hive Workshop!
It has been decided that Wc3:WoW needs to know what kind of terraining skills Wc3:WoW/WoW fans possess. So we decided to host a World Of Warcraft Terrain Look-Alike contest! Make your terrain in Warcraft III's World Editor. The goal is to make a terrain that resembles a major area of World of Warcraft such as Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Undercity, Warsong Gulch, Crossroads, etc.

What needs to be terrained is at least three screenshots worth of terrain of one area. Feel free to submit multiple areas of your terrain. If you make Orgrimmar but also want to make Loch Modan, then by all means, please do so! If all areas terrained by you (This contest will not accept partnership) are impressive to the judge(s), then that is a plus 1-3 points in the finals ratings.

You can use custom models, but WoW exported models is prohibited, and you cannot use any of Wc3:WoW's files as well. You can make your own models or have someone else make models/skins for you or you can search on the web for resources such as The Hive's Resource section.

What we're looking for:
  • Accuracey in terrain. I want to be able to tell what the area is immediately!
  • Creativity. Add little details to the terrain that is necessary, but isn't too much work to over-due the terrain.
  • A fog that works well with the terrain. Using the one that is in WoW in the area you're making is wise.
  • Good use of doodads and tiles.

What we're not looking for:
  • Editting images with photoshop, paint, or any other programs is prohibited. But you can add titles at the top or bottom of each screenshot.
  • WoW Exports is not something we want to see in your terrain.
  • Wc3:WoW doodads, units, tiles, and other files in the Wc3:WoW mpq is 100% prohibited, unless if you can find them on another website.
  • Working from someone elses map is not allowed.
  • Terrain of indoor areas such as an inn or something pointless isn't what we're looking for. But if you can make it look amazing, we may pass it by.

The winner will receive credit on the website's The Team page, get additional +reputation, be added to the Closed Beta Testing team, and will be given a new title to replace "Member" to "Terrain Contest Winner" and will also be able to choose any color they wish to show in their user name such as turning "Craka_J" to "Craka_J".
And if Wolverabid agrees, you'll also get a custom icon to apear under your profile to show that you've earned something.

There will be second and third place winners as well, but their rewards won't be as supreme. Here is the rewards list:
First Place Winner:
  • Gets put into the Closed Beta Testing Team and will have a chance to experience new features and so on that has never been seen before in public!
  • Username color change at the Official Forum.
  • 1st Place Terrain winner may have a chance of being recruited to the team.
  • Title at Official Forum for first place winner of Wc3:WoW Terrain Contest.
  • +20 Reputation Points.
Second Place Winner:
  • +15 Reputation Points.
  • Gets put into the Closed Beta Testing Team and will have a chance to experience new features and so on that has never been seen before in public!
  • Title at Official Forum for second place winner of Wc3:WoW Terrain Contest.
Third Place Winner:
  • +10 Reputation Points.
  • Title at Official Forum for third place winner of Wc3:WoW Terrain Contest.
Here are some answers that should answer a few of your questions (if any):
  • Terrain must be done 100% by you only.
  • Partners are not permitted.
  • Terrain must look like something from WoW. If you have screenshots from WoW of which your terrain was based off of, that can be a plus.
  • Stealing other people's work will disqualify you from the contest.
  • Wc3:WoW and WoW exports are NOT allowed.
  • Terrain must be based on an area that is actually in World of Warcraft.
  • Expansion area terrains are not what we are looking for. That includes Northrend too!
  • Custom models, skins, etc. is permitted. But cannot be exported from WoW or Wc3:WoW.
  • File-type of your terrains and source must be one of the following:
    .jpg / .jpeg / .bmp / .png
Contest Deadline: Contest is over.

Best of luck to you all!
~Craka_J; Leader of the Wc3:WoW Team

Last edited:
Level 34
I'm in. Will start tomorrow. Any suggestion on how to get a good idea of the landscape of the area the participant chooses? What do you do Craka?

Level 25
Look up an area in World of Warcraft such as Iron Forge or Orgrimmar. Something in WoW. I'll update this post with a list of areas you can search for in google images or somewhere else to help you find what you can terrain.
Example Places
  • Orgrimmar.
  • Thunder Bluff.
  • Ironforge.
  • Mulgore.
  • Barrens.
  • Durotar.
  • Tirisfal Glades.
  • Undercity.
  • Gadgetzan.
  • Everlook.
  • Ragefire Chasm.
  • Hillsbrad Foothills.
  • Un'goro.
  • Feralas.
  • Desolace.
  • Ashenvale.
  • Dun Morough.
  • Booty Bay.
  • Stranglethorn Vale.
  • Grom'gol.
  • Duskwood.
  • Stormwind.
  • Echo Isles.
~Craka_J

Last edited:
Level 34
I guess I'll just re-install WoW. Get the trial or use a friends account. Do we need three screens of each area we do? Or can I just do 3 different areas for my three screens?

Level 4
Oh... I really wanna try this... I'm still a noob terrainer but who cares?!
Oh and how do u put screenshots on polls?

Say Hi to Hi.Hi! :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 21
A question: are you supposed to recreate a whole area? By this I mean that if I have 2 or 3 WoWscreenshots featuring different spots of an area, do they all have to interconnect and be fully playable as if it's a normal map? Or is it enough if you can take 3 different screens while the map itself is not connected?

Level 8
:O This is what I've been waiting for, sign me up Craka

(I have WoW, so I can post screenshots)

EDIT: I have a map of Karazhan I am creating, have 4 parts done so far, Entrance, Attumen, Moroes, and Animal Boss (Animal boss is not exact) Was wondering if that would be allowed, if so I will post screenshots. (I will be working on a different map for the contest, that is just a map I have created some right now)

Last edited:
Level 25
You do not need to create the entire zone, but I recommend you create about one third or one fourth at least of the zone. Creating entire zones is a plus if the quality and accuracey is good as well. So pretty much, the requirement is recreate a 'scene' of the terrains in WoW, but for that little one point boost (Point scale is from one through ten) you can recreate an entire zone, as long as it looks like the zone and is full of quality. If I really like the terrain of an entire area, I may give an extra 0.5 to the +1.0 bonus point(s).

Welcome to the contest Gilles, Hi.Hi, and Doron! And good luck!
~Craka_J

Level 4
Um 1 thing I did not understand is... that do the trees need to look like the WoW trees for the contest because I don't know anything about import things.

P.S. I meant does it give a less of a chance of winning if you don't use custom doodads and etc.?

Last edited:
Level 34
Here is my Stranglethorn Vale WIP. Is it not enough like th area? I based it off of concept art. Not exactly perfect, the background is hard. I need to make a larger map if I want it perfect.

Attachments

• STV.jpg
    STV.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3,522
  • wow009.jpg
    wow009.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,777
Level 25
That'll do. Looks nice so far. You're going to have a little over a month for this to be completed so... make all of the improvements you can!
Recommendations
  • Background on upper left area isn't there in your pic!
  • Remove or fix the alignment of the rocks down the waterfall path.
  • Use a roll value to prop the face up better and turn it more towards the viewer of the picture, like in the concept art.
  • There's a watery area in the concept art. Add it in your terrain!
~Craka_J

Level 34
Few problems. First the upper left will be hard because the mountains are already almost topped out. The face is hard, but do-able. The background will need to be extended to look proper. Problem with the water is it's hard to make nice waterfalls with just terrain. Will try though. Only way to see the water I did add is to change the angle of the camera, it is there. ;)

Level 4
Um I am having trouble at finding good pictures for any of the towns,cities and etc. anyone know any good sites?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I'm in as well. But, Craka, I have just one question. Do all the terrains have to be done for this contest or may I use one that I did before the contest began with basically the same purpose?

I'm referring to this one. I made it with no other intention than making it look like WoW.

Level 25
I'm in as well. But, Craka, I have just one question. Do all the terrains have to be done for this contest or may I use one that I did before the contest began with basically the same purpose?

I'm referring to this one. I made it with no other intention than making it look like WoW.

I don't really recognize that area in the Eastern Plague Lands, so it'd probably be a bad entry in the first place. But yeah, you can use terrain shots from previous projects that you terrained for. Terrain must be by you of course.

Very nice work, Eleandor! At first, as thumbnails, I thought they were all Undercity shots from WoW. :grin:
~Craka_J

Level 4
Eleandor how do you make a tunnel or hole that has walls and a roof?! (Sorry if it is a noobish type question, no one has answer even 1 of mine yet).

Level 8
At first, as thumbnails, I thought they were all Undercity shots from WoW. :grin:
~Craka_J

Thats what you want to hear Eleandor, thats what I thought also, lmao.

I am doing a Stormwind map, although I wont post screenshots of it right now, because I am currently changing / moving some things around, but I can post screenshots of the WoW Version I am using for my map.

Level 25
Very cleverly done, indeed!
I'm going to try to convince MadseN and other good terrainers to join in this contest. Hope the addition of MadseN doesn't demoralize you if he does agree to join! :grin:

Also, I added you guys (Frostwhisper and Eleandor) to the contestants list. Welcome to the contest!
~Craka_J

Level 34
Bring MadseN in! It will only make us work harder to try and beat him. Even try getting 2-P if you can. Is Corexx still around somewhere?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I'm gonna go for the hardest zones in the normal WoW: Eastern Plaguelands, Silithus, and Blackrock Spire. Hardcore, baby :infl_thumbs_up:

Anyway, Wippy the WIP has arrived, and he smells bad!

If anyone is aware of any other crystal models, I'll appreciate it if ya let me know :)

Level 25
Very nice work guys, keep it up!

Silithus terrain is good, but the crystal is what makes it inaccurate. Perhaps tint it or replace it with a rock(s)/spire(s).

Eleandor, your house looks really nice! Can't wait to see it when it is completed!
~Craka_J

Level 25
I believe it uses the path the Blight. No idea what that path is either though, sorry.

Anyway, back on topic, shall we?
I sent a PM notification to a bunch of good terrainers such as 2-P; Corexx; MadseN; and so on to join this contest. Hopefully most of them do consider joining.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.