• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Should We Use WoW Exports?

Should We Use WoW Exports? (Models & Skins)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I know it's against the rules of nearly every forum, many users and modders hate it, it'll make the campaign's file size go through the roof, and it's a cheap way to go, but due to the lack of artists on the team, I'm beginning to get a vibe that using WoW exported files such as character models, weapon attachments, doodads, props, tiles, music, sounds, and icons are all becoming more of a reasonable asset to use when making this project. Plus, it seems fine for this project in particular because we're recreating World of Warcraft. Some areas need to be remade though, such as cities, since those are one big model files. Here are the pros and cons of using WoW Exports for WC3:WoW:

PROS:
  • Looks more like World of Warcraft.
  • Looks better; better quality models, textures, and animations.
  • Overall better gameplay experience.
  • Quicker and easier terraining process for most areas.

CONS:
  • It's against forum rules.
  • Modders are against it.
  • Users are generally against it.
  • Blizzard Entertainment might not like it, but I don't think they care anymore about WarCraft mods.
  • MIGHT cause the game to lag more, not sure. (Our way of countering laginess is by allowing the player to adjust the Field of View - how far you can see)
  • File size of Wc3:WoW will be in the 100mb file range. It will not be even one gigabyte big though; World of Warcraft is over 14 gigabytes big.

Level 3
I've been lurking for aaages, time to actually give an opinion :p

I don't really care but I'd lean more towards not using them, unless there's no decent alternative model for a certain unit type

My main concern is that if it's against forum rules (and I assume hive workshop's map-posting rules, not sure though) they mightn't be too happy about one of their hosted projects using them

Level 9
Ain't it possible to lower the texture sizes and such, on the models? I see no reason to why they should be larger than models created by the community?

Anyway, I see no problem with a few WoW exported models for the first few beta's, hopefully as you progress further, you can exchange them with your own models.

regards

I could help you out with some modeling if it would make the project do any faster, especially if someone else could do the textures.
It's not that i'm bad with textures, but i'm just a bit too lazy to make textures for a project that isn't mine.

I'd vote no for most wow exports. They wouldn't blend in at all, and i think this should be your project, not blizzards.

Level 8
Problems with this would make people think they are downloading a client for a game lol...

Anyways, my real opinion is no IF you plan to make the game have the save opportunity to play BGs/PvE on Bnet (WoW MC map on the hive, AB/WSG/AV) etc...

If you aren't planning on it I'd say think of the results that might happen, could lose your forum here I suppose? I don't think you'd be as happy since this wasn't all team made. Could cause lag and most likely a LONG loading time to switch to other maps (Loading other areas/models blah blah)

I vote for no but of course your opinion, weigh out the cons/pros and make a decision. I'm also sure there are a good chunk of great modelers that would be happy to help you in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.