1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #1 - Results[$100 Prize Pool]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Naze, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    upload_2017-12-7_22-46-6.png
    upload_2017-12-7_22-47-21.png

Imagine I have 5 years, and I ask again what?

2. MysteryMaze

MysteryMaze

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congrats to the winners!!

I'd also like to express my gratitude to judges and moderators.
    Judges had to go over all 30 maps and score each, which would have been an extremely laborious jobs
    and moderators had a hard time searching out cheaters.

More than anything, it was such an honor to join this contest.

-------------------------------------------

Question: I can I view all 30 reviews? Only 15 are available at this moment.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to all the winners! :)

4. MysteryMaze

MysteryMaze

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Irresistible Mind

Map updated!

Changelog:
    • Map size cut down to 84 x 84 and is now square rectangular.
    • AOW creeping at shops improved.
    • Mercenary type changed (Dalaran → Lordaeron)
    • Minor creep changes and item changes.
    • Tree walls at main made a bit thinner & perfect equal on both sides.
    Screenshot1
    [​IMG]

Screenshot2
    [​IMG]

Screenshot3
    [​IMG]

5. Jannes Tjarks

Jannes Tjarks

Resources:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to all the winners, we got some very, very promising maps that will hopefully be implemented in ladders or tournaments. we'll definitely run a tournament with the top 5-7 maps to see them in action very soon!

Also a heartfelt shoutout to the two judges and the hive team - you guys did a phenomenal job!

Soooo what do you guys think about a second edition in early 2018? :)

6. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WHOAAAAA, waking up to these news was like dreaming at first. Huge thanks to everyone and once again, shoutouts to @mafe (you my man :cgrin:)
    I hope everyone had fun in this contest. I love how you need to think about all those different strategies that could be used or how one could discourage other tactics when creating a map :csmile: These contests are a great way to get some inspiration and see all those different ideas. I would never get the idea of random buildings or waygates in water or any of the other designs you've all shown here. I've had a terrain dillema in a "volcano" melee map recently and thanks to @Paillan and his Flame Wars I've seen how well it works with the Outlands tileset. I'm really glad I joined the hive as the community is one of the best.
    Thank you all and see you in some other maps and contests :cred:

Attached Files:

7. HighTac

HighTac

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. MysteryMaze

MysteryMaze

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  9. Erkan

Erkan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to the judges and everyone involved. A lot of great maps were made for this contest, it was great. Personally, I learnt a lot and can't wait for the next one.

10. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well done everyone!

11. forsaker

forsaker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, can't belive how close the first two and then the next 4 places were!
    I wanna shout out a thank you to the judges for their time and effort spend, reviewing every map!

I guess the score and the places are now finalised, but I found something different to other contests (external to hive). There is usually no differentiation between places with the same score ( e.g. everyone with 69 points should have the same place (4) and the next place after them continues with place 7), or if there is a differentiation due to the digits, the places should be in the right mathematical order. Just saying. Dont want to be rude. Maybe you can think about that next time. EDIT: NVM they are in the right order. my eyes fooled me :D

Sad that not more people liked my map as much as i did :D but that's just different tastes... would be boring if everyone liked the same ;)

Looking forward to see you all next time!! :)

cheers

12. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As I said, I for some reason got the wrong idea while I was writing my post, so I thought that the winner didn't win. Hence had a very shortlived post that argued for Thawing Snow. As I submitted it, I realised my brainfart and edited it. The "EDIT" was just to inform as to what had changed. I am aware of the winners :wwink:

13. moyackx

moyackx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Even though I haven't won, I just want to say thanks to the judges for the detailed review of the map. It was fun to make a melee map after several years of lack of practice.

Thanks and congratulations to the winners.

Hey, at least a T-shirt, I know you have many of them :D

14. Anomines

Anomines

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds great! Lets see what the feedback of the community is and if there is some willingness to play on new maps. If there is more interest it would be great to involve players more already in the process of creating the maps.

One of the hardest parts in the contest was getting feedback so if the aim would be to create better content for players it would be really beneficial to have some experienced guidance. There are really capable mapcreators here but sometimes there is a lack of knowledge in ladderplay.
    If there would be a stronger synergy for the next contests that would be great and would in the end result in higher quality maps (and I guess thats the real goal behind the contest)

Looking forward to the tournament!

15. Ascrelle

Ascrelle

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well done everyone! I myself refrained from voting in the poll, but the winners here were definitely among my favorites. Congratulations to the winners!

Now to hope Back2Warcraft can do something useful with these awesome maps :3

16. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I hope you repeat this contest! :) I might participate when that happens. Congratulations to the winners, @Knecht, @Anomines, @mafe. Congratulations to other participants as well and especially the judges for the thorough testing and reviewing.

Just a note. I've noticed from my "Outskirts of Avalon", and now from the winning entry, that people tend to like ships. Keep in mind that Blizzard probably didn't intend for them to be used in melee play. Zeppelins are 575HP transports with an 8 cargo capacity that unloads 1 at a time for a cost 240g and 60w, while Transport Ships are 1,5Khp with 10 cargo that unloads instantly for 170g. Sure zeppelins are airborne instead of waterborne, but the disparity is still too high.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  17. Knecht

Knecht

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Rui on the topic of ships - they do have much more health than zeppelins, that's true, but consider the fact, that ships have less mobility and can be attacked by melee in shallow water (they can even be surrounded, unlike zeppelins). As for the intentional melee play by blizzard, there's a map called Islands(4). It's never seen much play, for its dull use of ships. Perhaps blizz scrapped naval combat for not being really fun, leaving us with the HU, UD shipyard models and frigates. It would actually somehow work imo, if players could build the frigates on the Islands map.

One last thing as a reply to "people tend to like ships", I'd say that it's the map creators who want to make use of the seldomly used feature. The likeability by the players is often determined by the ingame use (whether they're forced to use them or not, whether the ships are more efficient, etc.).

18. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ships should be thought of as op zeppelins with pathing limitations.
    That is why it's..hard to design a map with shipyards; object editor changes would be needed, such as lower hp (1500 is just too much, can easily move around unpunished and riskfree micro units in/out especially with the instant drop, only downside to this being the collision size), stock changes (3 ships available right from the start, compare it to zeppelins).
    Also there is the tendency of making island maps, but the ships usually being a must more than a feature in these cases make the gameplay a bit dull, as each player is forced to get one to at least compete with the opponent creeping/using neutral buildings. Imagine a map where you could reach multiple creeps/objectives just by zeppelin, wouldn't be that much appreciated (well there is Twisted Meadows, but that is a case a sè; and doesn't mean that the map can't be Fun).
    At the same time, you can't have them just be micro units.
    That's why the addition of ships to w3 always looked weid to me, I mean, it makes for enjoyable campaign levels, but in melee they'd require a whole map designed around making them viable and not overlap with zeppelins.
    And there is almost no case in which a zeppelin wouldn't be able to do what a ship can, while the opposite is not true.
    A use could be having only a certain part of the map be limited to transports, maybe as "shortcut", but then it would make the ship a.. weird monodimensional investment.
    Or have a shallow water map with deep water areas work as and mixed with treelines, but then zeppelins would be more than enough.
    I'm not saying ships can't work, just that I haven't seen them used in a convincing way; maybe someday, it's good to experiment.

19. BLazeKraze

BLazeKraze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to all! This contest produced more high quality maps. :)

20. Anomines

Anomines

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think ships are only interesting because they are in the editor and there is the feeling that they "somehow" should be used or could have been in the game.
    It would just feel right to also have a naval part in an rts.

The thing is that they do not contribute much to the game in the end. Maps would have to be designed around ships and naval fight in wc3 is actually quite cheesy and dull.
    If it is just for transportation they are also pretty boring and do not add much strategic value to the game. They are just cool somehow

Zeppelins on the other hand can perfectly blend into the existing game, can be used during battles, for sneaky goldmine drops and lots of fun microplay. At the same time they are no "must have" by any means. None of these things are really possible with ships.
    Including them could also mean that the meta would probably have to change quite a bit since it would be possible to cheese around by loading units on the ship and basically forcing players to build air. (if we are talking only about goblin shipyards and not including naval battle in general)
    Not that that would be a really huge problem but in the end it is nothing that gives a lot of value.

Nevertheless it is good to see maps that try to include shipyards because one can never really theorycraft everything and maybe they would somehow find their unpredicted usage and place in the game.

E: I guess I just said pretty much the same like Arrr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.