1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee map contest #2

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Mr.Henci, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello there,

Healthcare Hazard Management Monitor
    Hour Hour Minute Minute
    Helping Hands Medical Missions

well I hope you may join us in this contest, have good luck

See ya around

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. BrazilEmperor

BrazilEmperor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, you are right! sorry abot this (and sorry to say sorry too many times :D) ....Okay, but just to recap, which location we're going to discuss on? Example: Plaguelands,Tirisfal Glades,etc

3. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if I'm following what you are saying. If you are wondering, what theme should be your map, it can be anything, since we have dropped that idea long ago.

4. BrazilEmperor

BrazilEmperor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dropped?... oh.. sad :( Lets Revive that ideas on a Altar? :D

5. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is okay, never mind it, I couldn´t find the hhmm meaning. Good to see that you are interested in the contest.

The reasons because we dropped that idea is to:

1- Not everybody wants to do wow areas:

a-Elwyn Forest or Hellfire peninsula, nothing new really.
    b- Another areas may be boring as hell like Tanaris desert or Desolace wich the terrain is very monotone and empty.
    c-There are many cool wow areas like Zangar Marsh or Grim Batol but they have already been done.
    d- Anothers wow areas will need alpha tiles for shure to represent them ( not everybody want to use that, I don´t fearing crashes).

2-to avoid similar maps: I mean 10 guys doing I don´t now Northrend will mean like 7 using ICC tileset and 2 doing Lordaeron winter and one doing an undeground tile set. All blue and white maps and one green with a bit of snow.

3- To have freedom and that everybody do the lore he wants. Lord of the rings, Game of Thrones, Dark souls, The legend of Zelda, what ever.
    It would be cool to see new sagas made in wc3 editor than the wow areas.

4- The last melee contest was theme free, and is like the second melee contest is following the same rules as the first one (with the voting score reduced from 25% to 20%) but the rest is just the same.

5- Mapping can be fun if you are inspired with the idea you are doing. Or can be boring as hell if you have to do a theme that you don´t feel much inspired. The idea of freedom is that everybody can have fun in doing what he wants to.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  6. BrazilEmperor

BrazilEmperor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Excellent Explanation! sadly.. for now i'm without a PC to work...but since it has touched other fantastic universes, why do not we argue about a theme of Mordor or Isengard? these themes are lacking on Hive

7. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don´t sugest Mordor.

Mordor v 1.03

1) We are few and not everybody knows all themes, and not everybody wants to do an specific lore, is good to have freedom. It takes time to know a lore (youtube videos), get inspired and then plasm it in a map.
    And sadly some users said that don´t have that much time to map, plus to know a new lore, I want freedom so people can do what it wishes fast and not waste time thinking how can I do a Lord of the ring area.

2) My case I liked Pillars of eterninty or Dark souls saga, I didn´t get inspired to do a map with those lores.... yet.

3)This is not a terraining contest (where a theme is needed), is a melee contest. The main focus is balance, you can decorate it as you wish but it will be a huge mistake to sacriface balance because you plasm the region as its (like put few wood or to much water and you won´t have AOW creep rutes).
    You can get 0/50 points in balance because you were focusing in represent an area with a lot of fidelity and that is not the idea. The idea is balance, and decor it as you wish (of course alpha tiles and imported doodads will give uniqueness points).

A guy want to do an outland map, let him be. There are 18 tile-sets in the wc3 editor, it would be ideal to no repeat a tile-set... much (we don´t want like 10 ICC tilesets maps, that will be checked with the wips, to avoid very similar maps)

the idea of free theme is to avoid repetitions.

Also it will be good a free theme so we don´t download the same models (an user may use arab houses or quillboar in barrens tiles, or draenei houses in outland.

You can do the theme you like, again freedom is part of the fun.

Is good to talk this things, but I think the focus of this contest is balance and then see how you want decor it to be beautyfull for the audience.

It was free-theme in the first melee contest, I think that freedom should be mantained, specially for the future, a contest of more users will mean that it will take more effort to do something original and don´t get similar maps.

8. RFWH

RFWH

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, I'd love a new contest and would participate. Hopefully a small melee map (2-4 start locations) and no silly themes.

Yours
    RFWH

9. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    About the theme, (for the moment) is defined as free, so you can do what ever you want to do.

Good to have another participant!!!
    we are like 11 now!

good luck and see ya

Edit:

to entertain the wait of the launch of the contest a bit.

10. Erkan

Erkan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi. If there are still places, I would love to participate in this contest.

11. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Still places? we were sending messages to everybody to fill them, of course there is, we are like 10-11 (And I was already counting you when you said yes to me in the vm). The formal request to join can be made the 22 when the contest is oficially launch.

We are almost there.

I hope to see your wip soon, I really liked the Etherium.

12. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello there everyone! The contest will start in less than 2 days and when it will be ready, I will post a link here leading to a contest thread, where everyone must write, that they want to participate.

Good luck everyone and I can't wait to see, with what creations you will blow my mind away. See you soon.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome, can't wait :]
    A shame that there is no theme, I prefer it when there is some kind of limitation to spark my creativity. Too much freedom can be overwhelming, but we'll see what I come up with.

14. Ragnaros17

Ragnaros17

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  15. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If anyone is still wanting to participate, let me know here : Melee Mapping Contest #2
    ----------------------------------------------
    Please, mods, close this thread for futher conversations. Thank you :)

16. Is this still ongoing?

I don't know what the theme is and I haven't worked in WE in a while but I wanna make a map for you guys.

Can the melee map have special other stuff added in?
    Does it have to be strictly melee?

Lemee know

17. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The contest has already finished, here is the poll: