• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee map contest #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I was thinking: now that I understand the uniqueness part, I think it could weight a bit more maybe? not that I mind how things are now, but I'd usually value creating something that actually works/is balanced that is also different/distinct from maps already existing in the pool because of how difficult it is to stray away from the standard-ish layout schemes those maps have set.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but since it feels to me that the poll is mainly a terraining vote, the uniqueness % could go slightly up at the expense of terraining?

Just a thought.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I was thinking: now that I understand the uniqueness part, I think it could weight a bit more maybe? not that I mind how things are now, but I'd usually value creating something that actually works/is balanced that is also different/distinct from maps already existing in the pool because of how difficult it is to stray away from the standard-ish layout schemes those maps have set.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but since it feels to me that the poll is mainly a terraining vote, the uniqueness % could go slightly up at the expense of terraining?

Just a thought.
I agree with you. Map being unique is more important than how terrain looks (aesthetically at least). Meaning, the point of us making these maps in the first place is to bring something at least a bit fresh to the table. Otherwise, what's the point of new maps when there are good old ones?

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I agree (at least I think I do) with the "uniqueness and creativity part". Imho the rules should state more clearly if this is supposed to refer only to gameplay aspects, or only to visuals, or both. Or maybe it would be better to simply separate both aspects, for example up to 10 points for creative gameplay and up to 5 points for coming up with some unique looks.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Terrain Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
This refers to the map aesthetics and not to how the terrain reflects on gameplay, which is why I think it would be a less important field.

Level 29
If that's the case then I see no reason to wait for so long, but that's just me. Seems to me like the rules are clear and there isn't much to discuss, unless we want to have a poll for something like the aesthetic theme or whatever.

Good to see I am not the only one who wants to start.

Well we can use this time, get inspired with fanart ideas, look Hive models, study others maps, read tutorials, see youtube videos of competitive melee play, play melee, and that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
Hmmm, the distribution of points is from the last constest and is reasonable by me: 50% for balance, since that is the most important thing in the melee maps, but the second most important thing are the looks. Your map could be masterfuly balanced with perfect timings and creep camps/drops, but if it would be simple, flat grass/mud LordSumm map, I highly doubt it would be played in huge numbers. 35% for the looks is therefore reasonable and 15% for uniqueness should be the maximum.

Example: If we raise it to 25% for example, there is a big risk, that map, which will be balanced well and can implement dragon roots & fountains in a balanced maner, while the visuals have been done in 30 minutes, would still have a big chance to win, since it could easyli get to 80% without any effort put into terrain.

I'm still open for this change, I just need more reasonable points for raising the 15% uniqueness points. (To me, uniqueness can mean anything and some of you are overthinking it. @Knecht got a lot of points for good implementation of boats, as well as new unique tileset, @Adney got some points, for unique map composition as well as new tileset implementation. Here, have a look at the last contest result, it can give you an idea of points distribution and how this contest will propbably be judged as well, since @Sister She offered herself once more)

Level 29
Hmmm, the distribution of points is from the last constest and is reasonable by me: 50% for balance, since that is the most important thing in the melee maps, but the second most important thing are the looks. Your map could be masterfuly balanced with perfect timings and creep camps/drops, but if it would be simple, flat grass/mud LordSumm map, I highly doubt it would be played in huge numbers. 35% for the looks is therefore reasonable and 15% for uniqueness should be the maximum.

Example: If we raise it to 25% for example, there is a big risk, that map, which will be balanced well and can implement dragon roots & fountains in a balanced maner, while the visuals have been done in 30 minutes, would still have a big chance to win, since it could easyli get to 80% without any effort put into terrain.

I'm still open for this change, I just need more reasonable points for raising the 15% uniqueness points. (To me, uniqueness can mean anything and some of you are overthinking it. @Knecht got a lot of points for good implementation of boats, as well as new unique tileset, @Adney got some points, for unique map composition as well as new tileset implementation. Here, have a look at the last contest result, it can give you an idea of points distribution and how this contest will propbably be judged as well, since @Sister She offered herself once more)

I think the points distributions is ok 50% balance, 35% Terrain, and 15% uniqueness. I read Sister-She reviews of the last year and the Uniqueness category is important. You can get 50% Balance, 35 Terraining, but nothing new for gameplay nor enviroment.
Those who goes with great alpha tiles or imported material, shure they deserve uniqueness points.
Those who risk for a new gameplay (risking unbalance) but if the achieve to create new ways of playing wc3, also deserve points of uniqueness if they achieve balance.

Level 6

Hhmm...

Level 6
Hello there,

Your comment made by 4 letters and 3 dots, doesn´t tell us what do you think at all (nobody is mind reader). Sor

Do you wish to participate in the contest?

Do you agree with the rules?

Do you want to tell us what do you think? and elaborate your ideas about this topic.

I want to say that I agree with what Mr.Henci wrote and that he is doing a great effort to make this contest happen.

See ya
Hello there,

Healthcare Hazard Management Monitor
Hour Hour Minute Minute
Helping Hands Medical Missions

well I hope you may join us in this contest, have good luck

See ya around
Yeah, you are right! sorry abot this (and sorry to say sorry too many times :D) ....Okay, but just to recap, which location we're going to discuss on? Example: Plaguelands,Tirisfal Glades,etc

Level 20
Yeah, you are right! sorry abot this (and sorry to say sorry too many times :D) ....Okay, but just to recap, which location we're going to discuss on? Example: Plaguelands,Tirisfal Glades,etc
I'm not sure if I'm following what you are saying. If you are wondering, what theme should be your map, it can be anything, since we have dropped that idea long ago.

Level 29

Is okay, never mind it, I couldn´t find the hhmm meaning. Good to see that you are interested in the contest.

The reasons because we dropped that idea is to:

1- Not everybody wants to do wow areas:

a-Elwyn Forest or Hellfire peninsula, nothing new really.
b- Another areas may be boring as hell like Tanaris desert or Desolace wich the terrain is very monotone and empty.
c-There are many cool wow areas like Zangar Marsh or Grim Batol but they have already been done.
d- Anothers wow areas will need alpha tiles for shure to represent them ( not everybody want to use that, I don´t fearing crashes).

2-to avoid similar maps: I mean 10 guys doing I don´t now Northrend will mean like 7 using ICC tileset and 2 doing Lordaeron winter and one doing an undeground tile set. All blue and white maps and one green with a bit of snow.

3- To have freedom and that everybody do the lore he wants. Lord of the rings, Game of Thrones, Dark souls, The legend of Zelda, what ever.
It would be cool to see new sagas made in wc3 editor than the wow areas.

4- The last melee contest was theme free, and is like the second melee contest is following the same rules as the first one (with the voting score reduced from 25% to 20%) but the rest is just the same.

5- Mapping can be fun if you are inspired with the idea you are doing. Or can be boring as hell if you have to do a theme that you don´t feel much inspired. The idea of freedom is that everybody can have fun in doing what he wants to.

Level 6
Is okay, never mind it, I couldn´t find the hhmm meaning. Good to see that you are interested in the contest.

The reasons because we dropped that idea is to:

1- Not everybody wants to do wow areas:

a-Elwyn Forest or Hellfire peninsula, nothing new really.
b- Another areas may be boring as hell like Tanaris desert or Desolace wich the terrain is very monotone and empty.
c-There are many cool wow areas like Zangar Marsh or Grim Batol but they have already been done.
d- Anothers wow areas will need alpha tiles for shure to represent them ( not everybody want to use that, I don´t fearing crashes).

2-to avoid similar maps: I mean 10 guys doing I don´t now Northrend will mean like 7 using ICC tileset and 2 doing Lordaeron winter and one doing an undeground tile set. All blue and white maps and one green with a bit of snow.

3- To have freedom and that everybody do the lore he wants. Lord of the rings, Game of Thrones, Dark souls, The legend of Zelda, what ever.
It would be cool to see new sagas made in wc3 editor than the wow areas.

4- The last melee contest was theme free, and is like the second melee contest is following the same rules as the first one (with the voting score reduced from 25% to 20%) but the rest is just the same.

5- Mapping can be fun if you are inspired with the idea you are doing. Or can be boring as hell if you have to do a theme that you don´t are much inspired. The idea of freedom is that everybody can have fun in doing what he wants to.
Excellent Explanation! sadly.. for now i'm without a PC to work...but since it has touched other fantastic universes, why do not we argue about a theme of Mordor or Isengard? these themes are lacking on Hive

Level 29
Excellent Explanation! sadly.. for now i'm without a PC to work...but since it has touched other fantastic universes, why do not we argue about a theme of Mordor or Isengard? these themes are lacking on Hive

I don´t sugest Mordor.

Mordor v 1.03

1) We are few and not everybody knows all themes, and not everybody wants to do an specific lore, is good to have freedom. It takes time to know a lore (youtube videos), get inspired and then plasm it in a map.
And sadly some users said that don´t have that much time to map, plus to know a new lore, I want freedom so people can do what it wishes fast and not waste time thinking how can I do a Lord of the ring area.

2) My case I liked Pillars of eterninty or Dark souls saga, I didn´t get inspired to do a map with those lores.... yet.

3)This is not a terraining contest (where a theme is needed), is a melee contest. The main focus is balance, you can decorate it as you wish but it will be a huge mistake to sacriface balance because you plasm the region as its (like put few wood or to much water and you won´t have AOW creep rutes).
You can get 0/50 points in balance because you were focusing in represent an area with a lot of fidelity and that is not the idea. The idea is balance, and decor it as you wish (of course alpha tiles and imported doodads will give uniqueness points).

A guy want to do an outland map, let him be. There are 18 tile-sets in the wc3 editor, it would be ideal to no repeat a tile-set... much (we don´t want like 10 ICC tilesets maps, that will be checked with the wips, to avoid very similar maps)

the idea of free theme is to avoid repetitions.

Also it will be good a free theme so we don´t download the same models (an user may use arab houses or quillboar in barrens tiles, or draenei houses in outland.

You can do the theme you like, again freedom is part of the fun.

Is good to talk this things, but I think the focus of this contest is balance and then see how you want decor it to be beautyfull for the audience.

It was free-theme in the first melee contest, I think that freedom should be mantained, specially for the future, a contest of more users will mean that it will take more effort to do something original and don´t get similar maps.

Level 29
Yes, I'd love a new contest and would participate. Hopefully a small melee map (2-4 start locations) and no silly themes.

Yours
RFWH

About the theme, (for the moment) is defined as free, so you can do what ever you want to do.

Good to have another participant!!!
we are like 11 now!

good luck and see ya

Edit:

to entertain the wait of the launch of the contest a bit.

Level 29
Hi. If there are still places, I would love to participate in this contest.

Still places? we were sending messages to everybody to fill them, of course there is, we are like 10-11 (And I was already counting you when you said yes to me in the vm). The formal request to join can be made the 22 when the contest is oficially launch.

We are almost there.

I hope to see your wip soon, I really liked the Etherium.

Level 20
Hello there everyone! The contest will start in less than 2 days and when it will be ready, I will post a link here leading to a contest thread, where everyone must write, that they want to participate.

Good luck everyone and I can't wait to see, with what creations you will blow my mind away. See you soon.

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Is this still ongoing?

I don't know what the theme is and I haven't worked in WE in a while but I wanna make a map for you guys.

Can the melee map have special other stuff added in?
Does it have to be strictly melee?

Lemee know

Is this still ongoing?

I don't know what the theme is and I haven't worked in WE in a while but I wanna make a map for you guys.

Can the melee map have special other stuff added in?
Does it have to be strictly melee?

Lemee know
The contest has already finished, here is the poll:

Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.