• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Contest | 24 is the new 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
24_is_the_new_12.png

UPDATE: NEW DEADLINE IS MARCH 20

Hi everyone,

I thought some of you might be interested to participate. You can find further details on Map Contest | 24 is the new 12

Cheers,
HighTac

Last edited:
Level 4
@mafe you should definitely submit that one too. I agree that spawn locations are a bit close to each other, but on the other hand, it still has a playable size and you can read the minimap. I liked it

Level 4
@twojstaryjakcie I intentionally haven't set a participant limit yet. I hope we can get plenty of playable and cool gigantic maps and my inbox won't get spammed with a hundred mediocre maps. And even if so, I should be able to sort out the low quality ones quickly. So no limit and no pre sign up required.

Level 22
Whoa, 2-3 weeks for a map that huge - that's quite a challenge. Guess I'll have to postpone my 4 player map once again.

From what I've understood from the tips, markets etc. are a big no on these maps. Are there rules concerning size, custom models, custom terrain and so on? I won't be using any custom stuff but I'm still asking as this was an issue in the last melee contest. One more thing I don't understand - additional random hero version. Perhaps it's just a language barrier, but I don't know what's meant by it.

Level 4
Whoa, 2-3 weeks for a map that huge - that's quite a challenge. Guess I'll have to postpone my 4 player map once again.

I know it's a bit tight, but I know you guys are Worldeditor Magicians! Also, I want to use the hype around 1.29 and PTR to get this contest running. The short amount of time may come at the price of "imperfection" and some bugs. Also, I'm aware that the Worldeditor still has some "issues" and limitations when it comes to gigantic maps (e.g. creep limit). I think that's okay though and there'll always be the chance for further tweaks once 1.29 is released officially (whenever that might be).

From what I've understood from the tips, markets etc. are a big no on these maps. Are there rules concerning size, custom models, custom terrain and so on? I won't be using any custom stuff but I'm still asking as this was an issue in the last melee contest.

Many good FFA maps do contain market squares. However, especially when they have the highest tier item set (with staff of silence, etc) maps can become imbalanced. I'm not sure yet what kind of impact such markets may have in a 16 or 24 player FFA, they are neither a must have, nor a total no-go. There are no rules regarding size, custom models, etc., also because these gigantic maps are kind of unknown territory still. Whatever looks good and is playable has the chance to win this contest. However, one of my major concerns with huge maps is the size of the mini map. If the latter is not "readable" anymore and you can't even find your own main base on it, than it may be an issue.

One more thing I don't understand - additional random hero version. Perhaps it's just a language barrier, but I don't know what's meant by it.

FFA is often played with random heroes. Meaning, you can't select a specific hero when your altar is built, but can only click on a "random hero icon" in it. A random hero (can be each regular race or tavern hero in the game) will pop out of the altar. Same with second and third heroes. You can even get one and the same hero twice (e.g. Paladin, Paladin, Shadow Hunter)

Level 7
This is really interesting. It's a shame Blizzard didn't make any 12+ player melee maps themselves (they still might for the actual patch after PTR) and a contest like this is a great way to get an initial map pool for these kinds of massive team / FFA games.

Are custom terrain-only imports allowed?

Level 4
@Ascrelle I'm sceptical if Blizzard will put any efforts into creating further maps anytime soon. I doubt it and to be honest, I think the World Editor skill level outside the Blizzard headquarters is way higher than it was 10-15 years ago.

Regarding custom terrain-only, if playable, why not. I personally prefer maps that still suit to the general Warcraft 3 environment (for example space environment doesn't) and are not too visually distracting. Especially since it's super busy already with 16 or more players running around.

Level 4
@deepstrasz enough is a relative term. :p
Also, I'm not aware of the number of contestants yet, since there was no pre sign up required.
We could end up with 5 submissions, 10 or 20. Not sure. I'm happy about any additional participant, especially when he or she comes from the Hive :)

Level 22
I might be able to make it but I probably won't. I've barely got a fifth of the map done and I've got a lot of college stuff to do on top of it. We'll see. 16 days isn't really enough for a fleshed out map but i guess that's part of the challenge :cgrin:

Level 7
FFA is often played with random heroes. Meaning, you can't select a specific hero when your altar is built, but can only click on a "random hero icon" in it. A random hero (can be each regular race or tavern hero in the game) will pop out of the altar. Same with second and third heroes. You can even get one and the same hero twice (e.g. Paladin, Paladin, Shadow Hunter)

Do you have/know of a map available anywhere with this hero randomizer code built in that we can use for our submission?

Level 18
Hi,
working on the map, given the size the minimap icons are a bit too big (mines, shops) and cover a large area, while units and heroes are a bit too small.
I'll try resizing the icons (if that's fine for the contest), will post results eventually.

Also, I'm having some problems with wood; I could find alternative ways, but are we ok with some high hp trees or should I avoid that?

Level 4
@Arrr whatever helps to make it playable. :)

@everyone Blizzard just released an updated PTR World Editor today, with some additional features (e.g. caps increased)

Level 22
Seems like I won't be entering the contest after all. There's just too much going on right now and didn't have time for editing. A 24 player map might have been a bite too big for me :cgrin: Here's some "bullshots" of the map. I'll probably never finish it as I really dislike the layout I came up with.

With all that being said I wish good luck and good balance to all the participants :cgrin:

Attachments

• canyon_top.png
    canyon_top.png
    2 MB · Views: 101
  • canyon.png
    canyon.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
  • canyon2.png
    canyon2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
Level 25
Hi everyone,

I'll move the deadline for submissions from March 16 to March 20.

In order to see how random hero map versions look like, you can download one here.
Are you sure that the triggers on it work properly...? The trained random heroes boolean checks if the trained unit is a structure.
And it only goes up to 12 players.

I'll see about finish my map for today, it won't be the best map in the world but it'll have 24 players!

Level 25
Map 1 sent, including both normal and random picking of heroes.
Minimap is pretty cluttered, but if one disables creep camp spots, it makes it easier to read.

Working on an extra map.. Because hey why the hell not.
EDIT: Map 2 sent.

Last edited:
Level 18
@Knecht oh, sorry, I did not mean it like that!
I already consider 12 player map makers heroes with the amount of work there is to those, I was just saying that it'd be fun if there were more people (sad you couldn't make it).

@Avahor
looking forward to it, but don't forget to also send it by email to Hightac

Level 4
Hi everyone,

Sorry for my late response. Thank you to everyone who put in the hard work to create a gigantic map. Nine maps were submitted:

Metropolitan Mayhem by Nick
Madness in the Barrens by Mafe
The Third Invasion by Mafe
Ruins Breeze by Avahor
Harvesting Operations by LordDz
Lottery by LordDz
Random Arena by Firefrog
Pillars of Corruption by Nova
Emersion by Arrr

You can download the standard versions as a package here:
24 is the new 12 Maps.zip

We will review all the maps carefully. Initially, we planned to reveal the results early next week already. However it got more difficult to get test matches filled on the PTR and it may take more time than expected to make a conclusion. Therefore, we may decide to publish results a bit later.

Level 4
Yes, since this contest was open for anyone, also outside of The Hive, we couldn't have checked anyways if a person submitted more than one map. It was open for anyone and every map.

Status
Not open for further replies.