• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mapping contest: overall topic for all mappers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Hey guys!

Introduction

okay so this thread is directed to all mappers of any kind willing to map stuff or some sort.

Fact 1 : at the moment there is no launch of any mapping contest (mapping means use the editor somehow) of any type but also there is no discussion about any mapping contest.
Fact 2: the only contest on going is the model contest.
Fact 3: and the only contest discusion at the moment are, hero contest, texturing contest, scrypt contest. but again no mapping contest topic.

end of introduction

I think it would be ideal to discuss:

1) Make a census of active mappers willing to participate in contest (it can be done in this topic):
-to know how many are active and willing to participate in mapping contests
- and know in wich category are willing to participate.

as example my self:
I am willing to participate in:

-Terraining contest
- Melee contest
- Mini map contest
- Cinematic contest

-mini tech tree contest ( I am not good in tech tree contest, I also feel tech tree contest is the hardest contest type of mapping contest, I tend to burn out in them, but I am open to participate for mini tech tree contest if there is need of participants: 1 hero. 1Tier 1 melee, 1 Tier1 ranged, 1 Siege unit, 2 Tier2 spell casters, 2 Tier 2 air, 1 Tier3 land unit. so my idea of mini tech tree contest is 1 hero and 8 units, I remember there were some users having the idea of have mini tech tree contest instead of code a full faction)

2) it would be ideal to discuss overall wich mapping contest launch in the future, here.

3) if there is anybody with a "new type/category of mapping contest idea" it would great to discuss it.
I have this idea for a new type of mapping contest.

Exhibition / Video contest, , make designs in the editor with this requirements (criterias bla bla bla), play it, record the play, edit it, and make a promotional video of X min-max duration. the entry will be the video and not the map it self.
the contest will judge design of the map of what we are seeing in the video, how atractive is the content selected/played, the edition and the video design. and how well is fiting the current theme.

it could be interesting and usefull to have such contest where voters and judges dont need to play all entries, but only to watch 6-7 videos and vote/judge wich one liked most.
also no more bugs/crash nightmares.

well I hope this thread could be usefull somehow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.