• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Link your map here for an awesome review (fast response, deep check)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
WispWarz

Played your map once, checked it twice with world editor.
Results:
Rating:

1 - How easy to learn it (9%)
Map is easy to learn, but there are always kids who dont read commands.

2 - The systems of the map (14%)
I must say map systems werent very good, arrows system was bad (you should work on interval/angle), the way guns shoot was not good (you can try Trackables (JASS) if you have heard of).

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (14%)
Terrains werent good, the way the form is kinda silly/bad, no custom models seen, graphics are ok.

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (4%)
It was possible for triggers to be optimized alot. (as i remember)

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (7%)
Some leaks spotted, a bug seen that empty slots also get a unit that will keep moving towards left

6 - How much the maker worked (3%)
You worked good on the map

7 - The base idea of the map (8%)
The idea is good, but not perfect.

8 - Is map balanced? (10%)
Map is balanced.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (5%)
No errors seen

Total Rating : 79% Excellent map, more work needed to be flawless

My tips as an advanced map maker:
-Clean all leaks
-Rework on arrow-key-movement, because the angle is bad.
-Try to use "Trackables", which allows your unit to move towards mouse, and attacks when mouse clicks. (Requires JASS)
-To reduce number of triggers (by using the function call DestroyTrigger(GetTriggeringTrigger()), or optimize them with conditions
-To increase the map's edge area. (the place which teleports you back)

Map Reviewed.
If i made any mistake, you can respectivly remind/tell me about it.

@zach_kirov: units or/and triggers doesnt take much size, an 10 kb icon equals to ~20 units or triggers.

next map will be reviewed soon

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Thank you for the review, it's good to hear actual suggestions.

1 question - what is each topic scored out of? is each one 10% each? In that case, how come text's language/grammer is 5% but ur comment says its good? Are some subjects worth more? Same with map originality

your tips -
clean all leaks: according to leakchecker there are none, but according to thehelper.net users there are a few. I'm trying to avoid using custom script/jass/pJass/vJass and leave my map unprotected so people will maybe learn from what i've done.

-angle movement. I get this suggestion a LOT, and I agree, it's horrible and it could be optimized down to a very small amount of actions. This map was not originally created by me (however I have permission to edit) so there are still a lot of things I need to get reworked. The current angle triggers are using a bunch of if/then/else's with cosine and complex calculations, when truly all that needs to be done is: set units facing angle = unit's facing angle + variableInteger, so i'll get working on that soon probably.

-trackables, as I said, I don't like to use jass because I find it a lot harder for the average mapper to use and understand. Anyone with general knowledge can look at my triggers and understand how they work, learn from them. Although this idea is a good one and maybe someday a budding vJass programmer will get bored and do it and release his own version

-reduce the number of trigers - again, avoiding jass. But would you care to explain how call destroyTrigger would reduce the number of triggers? Does having triggers of reduce lag even though they're still in the map?

-map edge area - I have camera bounds set to the far edge of the playable map, so you see the void when ur near the edge, I'm worried it will just look even worse if I extend the rect. Maybe I will anyway, as I've gotten this suggestion before

~avoiding custom models to keep filesize low
~bug with empty player slot gives useless character - yes I know and it's super annoying, this is possibly the biggest suggestion i've gotten, but I need to rework a lot of the original authors triggers to do this still so i've been avoiding it.

The next thing i'm planning out right now is a "command center" which is an auto selected hidden unit i'll probably hide in one of the corners of the map. It will give options to select weapon (without cycling) and a [?] icon to read about the map in case someone didnt read the starting messages (which i'll admit go by quite fast)

I'm planning on having the command center have a few other abilities as well, but I can't decide what fits. Jump maybe? speed boost? damage boost? armor?

And when I change weapon selection, what will the down arrow become?

Anyway, thank you for the review on my map. Hopefully you voted on it at the download link as well. +rep for you.

Level 9
@zach_kirov: units or/and triggers doesnt take much size, an 10 kb icon equals to ~20 units or triggers.
I have told you there are a lot of these things in my map because its an complicated AoS map. My total map size (excluding imported screens) is just less than 200KB, which is one of the smallest size AoS map out there. I just don't understand what is your ideal size to classify it as "compressed". The optimizer I used had already compressed this map for almost 68%.

Level 9
@zach_kirov
what the hell do you mean by "complicated"? alot of triggers?a lot of units? it does NOT matter, to be sure, check your unit data/trigger data size with an MPQ editor, and what i mean with "compressed" is how much it is optimized.
I know how i am rating, i know when i make mistakes, im into making maps since over than 3 years.

@Cokemonkey11: Check the first post to know about rating points
Have you read my suggestion about trackables? (it requires JASS), if you use it, you will be able to shoot and move with mouse, JASS is easy, there are dozens of tutorials to learn it, you will get used to it as you got used to GUI.

also know the Leakcheck aint a good tool, check the Things That Leak thread (in triggers/scripts section).

next review will begin soon, sorry for delay.

Battleships
I played your map once, checked it twice with world editor
Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (6%)
This Map is hard to learn for newbies, they dont know where to buy, what to do, where creeps spawn, what the objective, what are the items, what are the ships, nothing.

2 - The systems of the map (16%)
The systems of the map were good, but arent optimized, and not very efficient.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (17%)
Terrains were very good, graphics were good, models are war3 based.

Map can be compressed and optimized more.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (8%)
Some bugs seen, like you can attack a tower if there is a wall infront of you, while the tower cant attack you, minor leaks spotted.

You didnt work alot on the map, for it being edited.

7 - The base idea of the map (9%)
The idea of the map is very good, but not perfect.

8 - Is map balanced? (8%)
Map is fairly balanced, but abilitys for diffrent ships are not.

9 - Map Originality (2%)
Map is edited, many maps of the same idea exist.

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (4%)
Minor errors seen

Overall Rating: 75% Excellent map, much more work needed to be flawless.

-Use loading screen to give a small guide
-Use the Widgetizer tool (seek Tools) which reduces loading time ALOT
-Re-work on big and small ships abilitys (bonus hp/hp regen/armor and those)
-Maybe game modes?
-Know that learning-from-maps is a rare thing, and mostly wrong, i'd recommend protection and optimizing, tutorials are always availble for learning.

Map Reviewed.

Portals!
Played your map once, checked it twice with world editor
Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (7%)
It was pain to understand what the 2 spellbooks do, and where to buy items/upgrades and such stuff!

2 - The systems of the map (15%)
The systems werent good, for examples, the spawn unit upgrade on helicopter, when the unit is spawned he is going to move into the middle lane leaving everything, the helicopter sometimes leave you, the way you teleport units via portals is bad, you use interval, also portals transport corposes and dead units.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (16%)
Terrains werent so good, models were war3 based, graphics were good.

Map can be compressed more, though you compressed it well

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (6%)
No leaks seen, but plenty of bugs seen, like the ones mentioned on Systems category (for rating), and empty-slot players also get a hero, the portal creating location should be done by mouse, not choosing distance by spellbook then throw it (by any means i think the portal should be created on where you click with the mouse, opinion).

6 - How much the maker worked (4%)
You worked well on this map, but not perfect

7 - The base idea of the map (7%)
The idea is some-sort of good, the good thing is the portals idea, the bad thing is the AoS gameplay, the gameplay makes portals nearly useless.

8 - Is map balanced? (5%)
Map is not balanced, upgrades for helicopter are very not balanced, items arent well balanced.

9 - Map Originality (4%)
The idea is not original.

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (4%)
Some errors seen

Overall Rating: 72% good map, can be excellent if improved

-Fix all bugs i mentioned
-Maybe game modes?
-To finish the map before releasing it
-Re-work on map terrains and graphics, try to make it more realistic (without removing portals)
-Try to change map idea (the AoS)
-Make upgrades more balanced, also add hero abilitys

Map Reviewed.

ps. @Cokemonkey:
its mistake to not protect your map, very big mistake, and you must use custom scripts.
if you destroy triggers, that will reduce map lag, same if you optimize them
you can make the down arrow to cast a special ability or jump or run or anything.
once again i recommend you to learn JASS and use Trackables.

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
I like your trackables suggestion (seems like a great idea) but I'm still sorta avoinding jass. I can't even get Jass NewGen working...

I know what leaks, and I know I have leaks.

battleships - i understand the map is very hard to learn for people who havent played the series before, but while making it I sort of just assumed everyone had played the original skedmap.

What about ship abilities make them imbalanced? I gave more expensive ships proportionally better abilities, is that not good?

text/language/grammer: yes for sure I always noticed I spelled "dammage" (which is wrong) in like 15 places...

-working on bugs

-working on bame modes including CTF and TDM

-not optimizing or compressing or protecting map because I want to leave my map open source as sked's was.

Thank's again for the suggestions though.

But I still have that one question, how do I get newgen to work..?

Level 9
to get newgen work, you should use patch 1.21 of world editor (you can find it somewhere at Welcome to Wc3Campaigns)

and about imbalance, it was good, but the differ was very low, week ship's abilitys and strong ones abilitys were nearly the same (some spells are same), increase the "differ" (improve big ships abilitys or nerf small ones), thats my suggestion.

and yeah once again i say learning from other maps is bad, as it always been, because if you made a mistake in yuor map, people will learn from the mistake also.

Level 13
Thx for rewieving my map. Maybe it could be better if I would make portals appear where you click them. That would greatly help making accurate portals (maybe too easy).

Well anyway i need feedback on the map so it can be improved.

Level 9
it can be very very easy:
event - unit begins casting ability
condition - ability equal to X
action- set point = position of ability being cast(or whatever the preset is)
create portal at point (and do normal portal actions)
call RemoveLocation(udg_point)

Level 9
About downgrading into 1.21: it will be fully the same, only you will be able to run JNGP, and ~85% of people do that.

About protecting: that can be good, i recommend protection for the availblity of many kids/thieves who steal your stuff.
also, protecting a map can reduce it's size, and if you use the Wedgitizer loading time will decrease ALOT.
If you are unsure/aware of publishing your triggers as text, you can try to say "if you have any question how X is done email me at : ...." or something like that, thats what i do and many others do.
unprotecting your map can be dangerous if you are still map making, maybe after you leave warcraft/or something, you can release an unprotected version.

Thats my suggestion, hope you liked/understood it.

Level 7
Ummm, dark.revenant made a thread exactly like this, except his reviews were far better, as they were perfectly typed out, way neater, and had categories that made sense... Easy to learn? Wtf. How does that effect the quality of the map at all! A lot of good map, like elimination tournament, take a long time to learn, get good at, and master. These maps are the ones that get hosted.

I understand you gave credit to dark.revenant for the idea, but you should prolly try
harder to surpass his reviews.

Edit: Oh yah
10 - Text's Language/Grammer : 5%
I havent seen any mistakes with them.

Think in Language/Grammer you should use... Proper language/grammer? havent...
haven't

Level 9
Oh well the diffrent between mine and Dark.Revenant's reviews is that i check the map with World Editor, which gives better quality for the map and recommendations.

And unpopular maps that are hard-to-learn NEVER played.

My reviews isnt just about rating, basicly it is how to get your map better.

Level 9
BattleChasers

Played your map twice, checked it twice with world editor.
Results:
Rating:

For non-AoS players its freaken hard to understand what to do, because if you expect normal DotA players to play your map, then something is wrong in the world, because you cant imagine how much work is needed.

2 - The systems of the map (12%)
Systems werent so good, creeps many times turn back, most of spells (or all?) are made by blizzard (i mean you just edited icon/text), hero selection system isnt so good, you should make it select the hero to know what he has, and if he click on the hero again he gets it, not by clicking at a random rune, also add more informations about heroes.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (15%)
Terrains were ok, graphics were good, models were good, but all are not perfect.

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (3%)
Map size is big for it's contents, it should be optimized.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (9%)
Not much bugs seen except creeps turn back. (on the 2 games i tested).

You worked well on the map, but not perfect.

7 - The base idea of the map (5%)
This map is EXACTLY "Just-Another-AoS-Map", nothing special or super.

8 - Is map balanced? (6%)
Map wasnt balanced, towers damage is very high, heroes abilitys also not balanced, items prices are unbalanced.

9 - Map Originality (0%)
I honestly saw nothing original.

10 - Text's Language/Grammar (4%)
Minor errors seen.

Overall Rating: 65% Good map, much work needed to be excellent

-If you will update the map:
A-Use damned custom abilitys or/and items
B-Give simple guide of what should be done in the begin
C-Optimize some icons/models (some had very heavy size)
D-Make original ideas, systems, features
E-Re-check map balance
F-Re-look at map's fun, for me it was boring

-If you wont update the map:
A-Remove it from existance, because its too far from DotA which you want to achieve as i remember

Map Reviewed.

Afterall, i can say its a good map if its your first one, but try to make something original next time, original idea and gameplay.

Level 6
well you could try with my map.. however its not done and this version is pretty old (working on a new way better one) so yeh... well here:
WoA - The Third War0.14 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

however if you only review maps once then... i ll wait till the next version :D also dont mind the heros abilitys... i have not finished it its still an early version.. you might of noticed.

its spawn based, also dont be too harsh, this is my first actual project.

Level 9
Tank Arena B

Played your map once , checked it twice with the World Editor
Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (8%)
Map is easy to learn, except it takes time to know what to do, there were plenty of texts, buildings, units in the begin, which makes it confusing, also there werent much information written in Quests, except the Credits and Changelogs.

The systems werent very good, for them being leaky, buggy, like you can control your tank if you are fast and use all of a big tank abilitys, arrow movement system totally sucks (i will give you a better one), many items had shared cooldown (or that is ment?).

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (16%)
Terrains were ok, graphics were good, models were very good, though they had hell of a size.

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (3%)
Imported files are very not optimized, you should optimize them, because they took ~2 MB of the map total size, you can reduce it to only 1 MB. (i cant help you with this, i suck with models/icons)

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (3%)
Some bugs seen (most of those i saw are mentioned in System category), and dozens of leaks seen also.

You worked very well on the map, still more work needed to be done.

Map idea is very good, but not perfect.

Map is fairly balanced, except that item/tank prices arent balanced.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original.

10 - Text's Language/Grammar (3%)
Many errors seen

Overall Rating: 73% Good map, can be excellent if improved

-Clean all leaks
-Fix all bugs that were mentioned
-Fix or re-look at your texts, many of them have mistakes
-Remove possible selection of the tank, by adding the Locust ability
-Simplify the map, by removing useless units for useless players
-Optimize imported files size

Map Reviewed.

off-topic: if you have got a messanger, add me [email protected], just for the movement system or questions.
also, good to hear that you found the trigger.
also will check the other map soon, there might be a delay.

Level 2
the problem i have with your map responses are that they don't review(or put much emphasis, rather) on the most important thing in map creating, fun.

i don't care how easy it is to learn, and etc, i just want it to be enjoyable.

Level 9
I will review all maps asap.
@shawster: these reviews are for map quality, which is they key to/for successing
@lightning hell: you can discuss/comment anything anytime.

18 Rounds in Hell
Played your map twice, checked it twice with the World Editor
Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (9%)
Map is simple to learn, except there were no descriptions about spells (the ones you choose with dialogues).

The systems werent so good as quality, for them being leaky, not much custom stuff.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (15%)
Terrains were ok, graphics were good, models are war3 based

Triggers are totally not compressed

Dozens of leaks seen, you must clean them all.

The map could be done in 1 day.

Excellent idea.

Map is fairly balanced, espically for the difficulity option, but the Infernal was very hard.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Language/Grammar (4%)
Some errors seen

Overall Rating: 77% Excellent map, much work needed to be flawless

-Add more custom (triggered) abilitys, increase the size of the arena which you can move at
-Clean all leaks
-Add more items (triggered ones)
-Make runes or powerups (opinion)

I do not have much ideas/suggestions for the map, for it being small and simple.

Map Reviewed

WoA: The Third War

Played your map once, checked it twice with the world editor, know that this review wont be very accurate, for that the map extremly lagged in my computer
Results:
Rating:
Nothing was seen at all, i just started after ~15 minutes loading and found many bases, units, a hero all were so small, later i realised that there are other people who i should defeat.

The systems were extremly lagging, for all of the functions use BJs, map size extremly large, and big number of unit-creating triggers.

Terrains were good, graphics were good, models were good.

Good compressing, but not perfect.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (N/A)
Nothing seen.

6 - How much the maker worked (5%)
You worked alot on this map.

The idea was just "good", seen many like it.

8 - Is map balanced? (N/A)
Didnt play map alot.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Language/Grammar (N/A)

Total Rating: 77.34% Excellent map, much work needed to be flawless
Know that this review is not accurate, and i do not have suggestions except to reduce lag and loading time (try to use Widgetizer), im sorry.

Map Reviewed

@Lightning Hell: your review will be delayed, please be patience

Last edited:
Level 9
Team Battles

Played your map once , checked it twice with world editor
Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (6%)
It was difficult to know what to do in this map, because there was no hint or objective at all.

2 - The systems of the map (13%)
The systems werent so good, they lacked of quality.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (12%)
Terrains were ok, models are war3 absed, graphics were ok, nothing special.

Triggers arent compressed

Dozens of leaks seen, some bugs also like you can destroy flags with summoned units

You worked well on the map, but not perfect.

The idea is not really special, just fight other teams with 2 heroes.

8 - Is map balanced? (7%)
Map is fairly balanced, abilitys are not.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Language/Grammar (5%)
No errors seen

Overall Rating: 69% Good map, more work needed to be excellent

-Clean all leaks
-Use more custom spells and triggered ones
-Use custom units
-Delete useless triggers
-Add items/gold and such stuff to the map, you can replace gold/lumber time with lumber/food, or you can even make it with just food.
-Have you ever thaught that the map is boring? try to add a base or/and such stuff
-Maybe some modes?
-Add more features/systems to the map, like time duration, or/and tilest and such stuff. (i lack of ideas)

Map Reviewed
If i made any mistake you can respectivly remind/tell me about it.

off-topic: @XX_Noob: i'll give you +rep, hope it will clear rui's mistake.
@ady_illidan: haha im having fun more than which i had at that fucktarded thieves community "GayArena", they started to support fully stolen maps which is a part of the reason for me leaving. i'll review your map when i have time, which is propably in few hours.

Level 3
OK! dont play the map, for your own safety!! it is bugged and doesnt work right..i dont know why..im hoping posting it here will get lots of attention and someone can help me..it's not protected, so can you open it and look around and see why it crashes! it's not a big map or anything! few triggers and models. It's not done, but when i tested it it crashed, so i stopped everything..can someone please help!

Attachments

• Legendary Hero arena.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 33
Level 9
Um usually no one reads Quests unless its necessary (i mean by normal players)

about "time duration" i ment maximum game length..

@Clipboard: i'll play the map AND help you, but first tell me, do you want it to be reviewed also or just fixed?

reviews will be delayed ~13 hours from NOW (3:30 AM GMT+3 KSA+0)

Level 2
Can you tell me where are the leaks and what useless triggers are there? I have a rather bad memory...^_^;

Thanks!

(I tried PMing, but I didn't get a response, while I got multiple responses from the thread...)

Level 13
Since I am not doing reviews for WarCraft III maps anymore, I feel that I should say something about reviewing methods.

1. Don't make complicated criteria. They should be simple but broad and general.
2. Don't be abstract. Your criteria have to have an explainable point to them, you know?
3. Use good English. Really, please do. It makes you sound more serious.
4. Straight addition is usually not a good way to compile numbers. Figure out what you want to weigh more heavily upon and make a formula or system for it.
5. Don't have too many numbers. Don't have too long of numbers. What I mean is, unless it's your final calculation, it's really stupid to have scores that reach three digits. Also, try to cut down on the math and give more actual insight (words) to your client.
6. This is big: Find out where your priorities lie. I will always stick to this basic principle that the better maps, the ones that are fun and entertaining, are the ones that people replay a lot. Maps that make you want to play it again are the best there are. The nitpicking qualities of the map are secondary to this basic rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.