• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Place your map link here for detailed review and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Since I am free nowadays, I would like to review some maps too. If you do not mind, you may post your map links here for me. I played Warcraft III since 2002 and can be considered as an advanced player. (Proud, lol... JK) :grin:

-- My Warcraft III is 1.20c patch
-- I will host your map and play it in battle.net public sessions (Of course if your map supports AI, I will add AI players too)

My Marking Criteria are as follows:

- ( 5%) Game Details (Mini Map / Loading Screen Message + Quests + Basic Help / Hint)
- (10%) Map Terrain
- (10%) Game Graphics (Skins + Models + Mini Map + Loading Screen)
- ( 5%) Game Flow (How Lagging is it?)
- ( 5%) Game Complexity (Easy to learn or to play?)
- (10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
- (10%) AI
- (10%) Balance
- (10%) Creativity (Anything that makes it unique from the other games of this type)
- (10%) Game Errors / Bugs
- ( 5%) Time (Game last for how long?)
- (10%) Game Replayability (Anything new or different every time it is played?)

Total Mark is 100%

Grading Scale:
85-100: High Distinction
75-84: Distinction
65-74: Credit
50-64: Pass
0-49: Fail

Level 3
Ok, I finished the first map, its 4v4, 3 of my friends played Thieves side with 1 AI, me and 2 of my friends played Police side with 1 AI too.

NAME : Police Catch Thief AI 1.04

- (4/5%) Game Details
Well, I can see that all of these information are enough for a newbie to play the map. I suggests that you may consider to put Hint for future update. I don't give you full marks because I found some spelling / grammar mistakes. Please try to scan through them and avoid those silly mistakes.

- (8/10%) Map Terrain
Terrain are not as good as some pro-map but the way it designed is quite interesting, simple and clean. One of my friend said that the terrain are a bit silly but it is still ok for my other friends. It is good that you made 3 main roads / paths unique. (The first road is quite narrow, the middle road is very wide and the other road has average width) This means that we need to use different tactics in each road base on the width of that road. And since both Police and Thieves bases are just beside each other, it makes this game more challenging too, especially when you are defending your base.

- (8/10%) Game Graphics
The Mini Map and Game Loading screen are cool! Although you mentioned that it is not designed by you, but you earned points for that too. However, custom models are very rare in this map, therefore you cannot get full marks for this part. Please include more custom models because some heroes models are really stupid. They do not look like a Police at all.

- (4/5%) Game Flow
There is a bit lagging in your map, maybe because that you made all the non hero units with abilities, but when we played with the command to disable creep abiltiies, the map ran quite well and smooth. Still acceptable!

- (4/5%) Game Complexity
Still ok, not that hard to play. But there are a lot of stuffs in this map that can really make you busy. Maybe because this is not the first version. And since you made the description in the Quest (F9), so me and my friends were able to learn how to play the game easily. Take my advice, make more hints for it because I believe some players may face difficulties.

- (8/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
Those custom abilities are really amazing! And I cannot find those abilities in any other Warcraft III maps too, that is good! And the idea of stealing and those items sold by "Item Manipulator" are not bad and creative too, but be careful about the balancing. I will talk about that later in the next part. I can see that you really worked hard on this part.

- (9/10%) AI
The AI is great, aggressive and very hard to beat. But really annoying sometimes. At first, I thought they only know how to keep pushing and kill others. After we played, I found out that they also know when to retrieve to their bases. Since you can make that, I consider this AI is good enough

- (7/10%) Balance
I don't give this part high because I think that you can still work hard and improve a lot in this part. See, since some of the Thieves heroes have abilities to manipulate enemy resources, I think you should make those heroes harder to gain those resources. For example: Robber has the abilities to Rob Gold, so it is too easy for it to earn gold. Therefore, I suggest that you can decrease the gold earned by Robber per kill and decrease the "Auto Received Gold" per few seconds too. Example2: Experience Seeker has the ability to drain enemy experience easily, I think you should make it harder to gain experience per kill too. A lot of these minor things require you to adjust. I hope you work hard on this part. For items, they work fine because some of the insane items will be dropped once the hero is dead. And the pricing are done well too.

- (8/10%) Creativity
I see too much creativities here, for example those heroes and items abilities, unique game play and the idea of entering enemy base through gate / portal. You cannot use normal game play to play this game because your enemy can steal your resources or manipulate your resources or items. Therefore, you need to think wisely before you made each move, with one wrong move, you may lose all your best items in 1 second. A lot of stuffs here and there which requires you to take notes and to think and to avoid. The Shop Summoner is also a nice idea because it enable us to purchase the items to summon some shops in the battlefield too, but I suggest that you should put mana for each summon. If not, the players can buy a lot of items to summon a lot of shops in the battlefield and purchase those items without returning to their base. Transformer Item seems ok to me because it is like combining few items in 1 slot, you can click the item to transform into another form (Item abilities also changed), but I also suggest that when you transform an item, it should consume your mana as well. The "Beg for Gold" stuffs in the Billionaire shop is quite funny. One more thing, I suggest that you should decrease the movespeed of those Patrol Merchants because I think their movespeed are quite fast. By the way, since there is a command to make those merchants static, so its ok for you to ignore my advice.

- (10/10%) Game Errors / Bugs
So far no errors or bugs were found when we played the map just now. Congratulations! (I found few grammatical errors but these will not affect the overall game play, so I don't deduct marks here)

- (3/5%) Time
Well, the game last quite long. We finished it around an hour like that. I suggest that you can make a "Short Mode" for this game.

- (10/10%) Game Replayability
26 heroes with few hundred items and so much commands / modes are definitely good for us to play this game again.

Total Marks : 83 ( DISTINCTION )

Last edited:
Level 17
-- My Warcraft III is 1.20c patch
-- I will host your map and play it in battle.net public sessions (Of course if your map supports AI, I will add AI players too)

Those two things don't mix...

Oh, and please review my map....

Galactic Conquest

Its a space map and it has a considerable score to any reviewer...

And please... HAVE A REPLAY!

I'll be repping you for this... But I'll be happy if you have a replay...

Level 7
I think the "time" criteria is a bit unfair. Some games are just meant to be longer than others. You can't make everything fit into a 25 minutes quick mode.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Eh, are beta maps eligible? So far nobody has commented on my recent improvements on my map, Star Empires.
The link to it is in my signature.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Ya. Get 1.21b at least. 1.22 crashes JNG and I used JNG (WC 1.21b) for my map.

Level 3
I think the "time" criteria is a bit unfair. Some games are just meant to be longer than others. You can't make everything fit into a 25 minutes quick mode.
I will make my own adjustment for that, so don't worry

good thread man but why dont you upgrade your wc3 to 1.22 patch or at least to 1.21b?
Okay, will update it soon when I am free.

I will start to test the Galactic Conquest later.

Level 13
Always remember, the best reviewer will do the stupidest shit possible while in-game. Exploit anything and everything to pick out failures everywhere. The best maps will be fool-proof and still remain fun. In my opinion, you're not aggressive enough with your review.

Level 3
My second review

NAME : Galactic Conquest DE v2b

- (4/5%) Game Details
Well, the necessary information are enough for a newbie to play the map. The Hints are helpful as well, although they are quite annoying sometime. But you made the command to disable the hints too. That is gooooood!! I attached a screen down there. I suggest that you should not put the icon at the point (3,2) which is the bottom right, because when you are training a unit, that part will become a "cancel" button and causes your original button moved to other place.

- (10/10%) Map Terrain
I was wondering how should I mark your terrain because the whole background is the same (space). After thinking for a long time, i decided to give you full marks because it is galactic conquest, which means that your background is suitable with your theme. Although you do not spend much time to do the terrain, you get this 10 marks easily. Congratulations!

- (10/10%) Game Graphics
The Mini Map picture is funny and I love it so much! But the Game Loading screen is too stupid. One of the best thing in this map is the custom models. There are almost no Warcraft III models / skins in this map. Those star ships are cool! I can see that you worked very hard in this part, therefore you get full marks here (although I don't like your game loading screen).

- (3/5%) Game Flow
There is a bit lagging in your map. And the move speed of majority units in this map are too SLOW, which make people think that your map is lag. not good.

- (4/5%) Game Complexity
Still acceptable. Since there are hints, so it should not be a problem for us to learn how to play it. And the game play are quite similar to normal melee map too.

- (3/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
Although your ships are cool, I did not see much customized abilities / upgrades that are done using triggers. Mostly are from warcraft III build-in abilities / upgrades. Basically this map is just like a melee map with new graphics and interface. But you won't get 0 marks here because you have edited the numbering (Costs, intelligence etc) and balance it too.

- (0/10%) AI
It will be great if you could make an AI for this map, seriously.

- (10/10%) Balance
This game is well-balanced, maybe because it does not have much things / units to balance. It doesn't matter, you earned full marks here. Congratulations!

- (4/10%) Creativity
It does not have much creativity besides the special models and names of each units. The only creativity is that this battle occurs in the space with space units.

No bugs were found.

- (3/5%) Time
I hate the speed of this game. Its too slow. Everything moves slowly.. I suggest that you can make a "Short Mode" for this game. You may use trigger to do that

Event: A unit enter playable map area
Action: Unit add buff ("Speed Bonus")

Turn on this trigger on the short mode. That will be better.

- (6/10%) Game Replayability
Basically it is quite similar to other melee type of map, build structures, get your army and fight. But since you made quite a number of modes / choices at the beginning of the game, I think it is still replayable.

Total Marks : 67 ( CREDIT )

Attachments

• gc.JPG
    gc.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Level 17
- (3/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
Although your ships are cool, I did not see much customized abilities / upgrades that are done using triggers. Mostly are from warcraft III build-in abilities / upgrades. Basically this map is just like a melee map with new graphics and interface. But you won't get 0 marks here because you have edited the numbering (Costs, intelligence etc) and balance it too.

- (0/10%) AI
It will be great if you could make an AI for this map, seriously.

Heroes would be in the game soon... v2c I guess... But, I would find it hard to include triggers with the abilities because they are perfectly fine...

Another thing...

Having AI as a must is kinda, bad...

Not everyone makes maps like that, and I doubt, unlike Police Catch game, have an easy time doing this... If I ever try it...

You should also have +points for people with positive things that you can't include in the standard rubric.

Level 3
Having AI as a must is kinda, bad...
Not everyone makes maps like that, and I doubt, unlike Police Catch game, have an easy time doing this... If I ever try it...
It shouldn't be hard to make AI for your melee map. Even Police Catch Thief map, their AI is considered very good, but I still don't give it full marks. Maybe because I am too strict in this aspect. AI plays an important role in a game.

You should also have +points for people with positive things that you can't include in the standard rubric.
Of course I will do that, but so far I haven't find any other positive things in these 2 maps.

I will review Survive the battle royale later.

Level 10
Your criteria is a bit...weird
First: You give people full points even if you said that you didn't like a certain thing..100% should mean it's all good...
Second: You include some criteria that is very very variable...not all maps need AI and the criteria really includes things that should be under additional...

Level 3
First: You give people full points even if you said that you didn't like a certain thing..100% should mean it's all good...
Well, I said "I don't like" does not mean that it is not good, I discussed those points with my friends who played together with me before I post the review. Some parts I don't like it, but its ok for majority of us, so I decided to follow their opinions.

Second: You include some criteria that is very very variable...not all maps need AI and the criteria really includes things that should be under additional...
That is for sure, for example: there is very few TD maps out there with AI, so when I review TD maps, I will exclude that AI criteria and readjust the marks. But for melee map, there are too much melee maps out there with AI. That's why I included the AI as marking criteria.

Level 3
Review No.3

NAME : Survive the Battle Royale v1.0

- (2/5%) Game Details
I could only see some instructions in the Map Loading Screen and at the beginning of the game. No "Quest" and Hints. And the Heroes do not have descriptions too.

- (4/10%) Map Terrain
Bad terrain. Some parts of the terrain are not path able. You should make a good use of those parts instead of drawing some words there. And the terrain are so ugly honestly. You need to work hard on this part.

- (0/10%) Game Graphics
You get zero marks here because there is no customized mini map preview picture, game loading screen picture and custom models/skins.

- (5/5%) Game Flow
The game flow is good, fast and smooth. Well done! Maybe because there isn't much units / triggers to slow down the flow.

- (5/5%) Game Complexity
Easy to learn and easy to play. It matches the theme - Survival. Although the hints and instructions are too few.

- (0/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
Oh man, you just use all the Warcraft III built in abilities, swap here and there, and that's all. For some abilities, you didn't even change the figures (mana costs, damage etc). Hero maximum level only 10? The ability levels also not more than 3.

- (7/10%) AI
Although you said that you didn't make AI, but I noticed that the computer players will choose heroes and fight too. That is not bad. Although a little bit stupid, you still earn a lot of marks here.

- (7/10%) Balance
Still ok because you use most of the build-in figures. But of course there are still some heroes which are slightly stronger than the others.

- (0/10%) Creativity
It is just like most of the survival maps out there. I don't find any uniqueness in this map. Sorry.

- (9/10%) Game Errors / Bugs
Everything seems to work perfectly since the items and heroes are not much in this game. I suggest that you should remove the wisp at the beginning of the game if that player does not exist. I suggest you make the time limit for choosing heroes at least 1 minute because a newbie might take longer time to choose the hero.

- (5/5%) Time
The game speed are quite fast. good! And there is command to summon next round of creeps too. Very good!

- (7/10%) Game Replayability
There are many hero choices in this map, definitely it is replayable. If you could include some interesting and fun stuffs, that will be good!

Additional Good Points:
Small File Size (+5%)
78.8 KB is really a small game file and you earned marks for that!

Total Marks : 56 ( PASS )

Last edited:
Level 4
Thanks a lot for the critic, I really appreciate it.

- (2/5%) Game Details
I could only see some instructions in the Map Loading Screen and at the beginning of the game. No "Quest" and Hints. And the Heroes do not have descriptions too.

Yea, I will be implementing that in the newest version.

- (4/10%) Map Terrain
Bad terrain. Some parts of the terrain are not path able. You should make a good use of those parts instead of drawing some words there. And the terrain are so ugly honestly. You need to work hard on this part.

- (0/10%) Game Graphics
You get zero marks here because there is no customized mini map preview picture, game loading screen picture and custom models/skins.

It's my first map ever so I'm really bad, and I never knew people cared so much about these. I'll definitely work on that.

Oh man, you just use all the Warcraft III built in abilities, swap here and there, and that's all. For some abilities, you didn't even change the figures (mana costs, damage etc). Hero maximum level only 10? The ability levels also not more than 3.

As I said, first map and didn't want to complicate everything. I edited a few things here and there but didn't make major changes. Hero maximum level is 10 because I have no idea on how the mobs can give more exp >.>!! And I won't go higher than 3 per ability level.

- (0/10%) Creativity
It is just like most of the survival maps out there. I don't find any uniqueness in this map. Sorry.

Well, it's not only a survival since it's a team PvP at the end of the 10 minutes.

Anyways, that's pretty much it! I will put 1 minute to choose a hero, thanks for the suggestion. As for the "AI", well it was made so that the "AFKers" would get a hero chosen and battle to help a bit the teamate.

Level 3
Review No.4

I played this map but it seems like those units do not have any train / upgrade icons. Therefore, we couldn't test the map well. I only can give comments on the terrain and graphics. Maybe its the patch problem? Correct me if I am wrong.

NAME : Star Empires

- (2/5%) Game Details
You should include some help for newbie in the Quest (F9), the information is not enough, I suggest you make the "Hints" as well. Some of the information in the Quest is not necessary. You can include more descriptions in the map loading screen.

- (8/10%) Map Terrain
Terrain is good but incomplete, I could see a lot of empty places especially at the right hand side. I suggest that you could follow the Galactic Conquest map to make "star" background for space, instead of "black".

- (6/10%) Game Graphics
There is no customized mini map preview picture and game loading screen picture. But I see a lot of custom skins / models for the structures, they are cool.

- (0/5%) Game Flow
I could not test your map because there is nothing for us to test, only can see few basic structures (Territory) in our base.

- (0/5%) Game Complexity
There is no information that teach us how to play the game

I didn't see any.

- (0/10%) AI
There is no AI in this map.

- (4/10%) Balance
I wonder why player 2 (Blue) has more starting units if compare to other players. If it is for testing purpose, you should wrote it somewhere and tell the testers. It makes me feel that this map is not balanced.

- (4/10%) Creativity
It does not have much creativity besides the special models and names of each units. The only creativity is that this battle occurs in the space with space units.

- (0/10%) Game Errors / Bugs
Serious bug: unable to train / build anything.

- (0/5%) Time
Unable to finish the map.

- (0/10%) Game Replayability
Unable to finish the map.

Total Marks : 24 ( FAIL )

Level 3
Anyways, that's pretty much it! I will put 1 minute to choose a hero, thanks for the suggestion. As for the "AI", well it was made so that the "AFKers" would get a hero chosen and battle to help a bit the teamate.
lol, I see, but that simple move made a great AI for your map. I think you can add some more, for example: make the hero patrol randomly in the base and also buy items to upgrade themselves. Then this is really an AI map. I think you can work on that, not hard actually.

Umm, if a game is bugged up, don't review it...
its ok,at least I can comments on the terrain and graphics.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
I shouldn't have asked for a review since it was still Beta; perhaps just a tester is what I was looking for. Sorry for your apparent waste of time sir.

Did you check the quest log? Once you pick a mode, then you can train/build stuff.

Last edited:
Level 3
I feel it necessary to point out that I cannot get the AI editor to work on my mac, seeing as I cannot use any units I've made. So you mighty realllly want to change the criteria.

Actually it is not a must for you to use an AI editor to make AI. Simple triggers like "make the computer players select hero", "make those heroes patrol" will produce a simple AI already.

And are there reviews for templates I make for other people? If so, check out my moving solar system. If not, check out my Star Trek - Universe. details link
why not? but i will follow the sequence, which means I will reveal few maps before I could review yours.

Did you check the quest log? Once you pick a mode, then you can train/build stuff.
I suggest that you could set the time limit for choosing the modes, and make a default mode for this game as well.

Level 3
Review no.5

NAME : Gem Mine

I got a question for you: Is it Crystal Caves or Gem Mine??

- (5/5%) Game Details
These information are enough for a newbie to play the map although they are not much. There are hints in this map too. Very good!

- (9/10%) Map Terrain
Terrain is very good and beautiful. Looked professional. Keep it up!

- (0/10%) Game Graphics

- (5/5%) Game Flow
The game ran perfectly well. Maybe because there isn't much units in this map, mostly are randomly generated items (gems).

- (5/5%) Game Complexity
It is easy to play. Just collect as much gems as you can, and then sell them and earn gold. Either race against each other or race with time. The information and hints are enough for newbie. Therefore, you get full marks here.

- (6/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
I can see that you created many custom abilities, very good. But I have seen some of those abilities in the game Police Catch Thief before, for example steal gold, drop enemy items, fill up enemy inventory with some useless items. Although the idea is the same, the detail part of those abilities are different. Therefore, you earned marks for that too. The abilities and items are too few, you can try to create more.

- (0/10%) AI
Too bad you didn't make AI for this map. Since you can make the neutral Goblin to pick up those gems, I think it won't be hard for you to make AI to pick up the gems and sell it too. Try to think of it. If you made AI, that will be great!

- (10/10%) Balance
This game is well-balanced, it does not have much things / units to balance too because all the players have same units and shops.

- (7/10%) Creativity
Well, this game is quite creative. Besides competing with other players to get the most gold, you also can attack, steal things from enemies. And there is also a neutral Goblin which is trying to get the gems too. The abilities idea are creative, such as telekinesis. If you could find more things to make this map more interesting, that will be nice!

No errors, congratulations! But I have not tried to play the game in longer time mode. The one we choose is 10 minutes mode. I am not sure did you put the limit of gems in the map or not. If no limit for that, definitely the game will lag if it lasts longer. Beware of that.

- (5/5%) Time
There are many choices at the beginning of the game. One of the choices is to select the ending time. The shortest time is just 10 minutes, which is very good!

- (6/10%) Game Replayability
Too bad the items and units are too few in this game. After played for few times, it gets boring. I suggest that you should include more fun stuffs in this map.

Additional Good Points:
Small File Size (+4%)
100++ KB is really a small game file and you earned marks for that!

Total Marks : 72 ( CREDIT )

Level 2
I got a question for you: Is it Crystal Caves or Gem Mine??

It's "Crystal Caves." I made the tread before I changed the name. =/

I'm going to hold off on the custom stuff until it's finished. Nobody wants to waste their time on something that's going to remain incomplete.

I can see that you created many custom abilities, very good. But I have seen some of those abilities in the game Police Catch Thief before, for example steal gold, drop enemy items, fill up enemy inventory with some useless items. Although the idea is the same, the detail part of those abilities are different. Therefore, you earned marks for that too. The abilities and items are too few, you can try to create more.

I can't say I've played "Police Catch Thief" before. There's a slew of custom items in the form of "Artifacts" AKA randomly generated hidden items, however I'm aware I need to create more purchasable items. I've got a plan for the Hero Abilities in the form of a nifty skill learning system, which I, personally, have never seen before (In a Warcraft map, at least.)

Too bad you didn't make AI for this map. Since you can make the neutral Goblin to pick up those gems, I think it won't be hard for you to make AI to pick up the gems and sell it too. Try to think of it. If you made AI, that will be great!

I've pondered something to the effect of "AI" before, I might see what I can do. The Goblin Cave Blimp is there (primarily) to clear the cave of unused gems, and (secondarily(Wait. That's a word?)) as the focus of the "Shiny Thing" item. (Which is removed from the map for now, due to a small bug.)

Too bad the items and units are too few in this game. After played for few times, it gets boring. I suggest that you should include more fun stuffs in this map.

That should be somewhat fixed when I'm finished.

But anywhoos. Thanks, you're a legend. :thumbs_up:

Level 12
This is my Tetris Game, Most updated version in hive map section.

I am updating the icons...Soon... but thats fine just review what you see. If you get to it. Thnx for you time.

Map is at Tetris Beta v.1.1a - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

I have had someone review it before, And because of that it improved alot.
So i figured ok, lets see what someone else thinks. :)

Level 12
Actually it is not a must for you to use an AI editor to make AI. Simple triggers like "make the computer players select hero", "make those heroes patrol" will produce a simple AI already.
But what if you are in to making altered melee's? there would be no way to make them build building, and such. and they'd be downright stupid seeing as you can't make them use custom abilities.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
What about DotA? The only imported models I can remember off the top of my head is the Invoker, Inigma, and Phantom Lancer models and a modified Tree of Eternity model; not much in comparison to the rest of the models that are used that are not imported.

Level 3
But what if you are in to making altered melee's? there would be no way to make them build building, and such. and they'd be downright stupid seeing as you can't make them use custom abilities.
You may use "unit - order unit to build trigger" to do that, another simpler way is to replace the original warcraft III structures / units / abilities with your custom structures / units / abilities. For example: replace "town hall" with your custom "command center" etc.

In my opinion, just because a map doesn't have much custom models do not make it bad. Footmen Frenzy and many other successful maps don't have much custom models...
Of course that won't make it bad, by adding those skins and models, it can make your units/ heroes/ spells look more attractive.

I found out that a few of you keep making criticisms about my marking criteria. In my opinion, that is just a mark and won't make any difference to your map. If you guys post your maps here with only 1 reason "hoping to get high marks", sorry I can't help you. For me, the most important thing is the comments and suggestions about your map instead of those 10 marks you lost. Please don't post anything like "I suggest that you should remove this criteria - Creativity because not all map makers are creative" anymore.

Level 2
You may use "unit - order unit to build trigger" to do that, another simpler way is to replace the original warcraft III structures / units / abilities with your custom structures / units / abilities. For example: replace "town hall" with your custom "command center" etc.

Just a comment. Triggered melee AI would have nowhere near enough ability
to consider the variables a human player can present, or even the variables itself can present.

"Build X in position Y"

If something is already on "Position Y" (Like, a unit or something) then all of a sudden the AI can't do what it wants to do.

So yes, it's all well and good if you want it to build a Barracks and train 12 footmen before roaming the map randomly (Since it'd be rigged if the AI always knew where the player had started) but as soon as you try to create a triggered AI that can pose even the slightest challenge to a human player worth their salt, the sheer amount of variables (and therefore triggers) which needs to be created becomes too unwieldy to even bother with.

Furthermore, building an entire custom race over an existing one severely limits the creative possibilities available to the maker.

Of course that won't make it bad, by adding those skins and models, it can make your units/ heroes/ spells look more attractive.

I figure, if a map uses only default models and icons, but uses them appropriately and to a relatively high degree of skill, then the map looks good and has a smaller file size. After all, the the default graphics were made by professionals, right? So it'd be more of a matter of how the models/icons/whatevers are used rather than how much custom eye candy a mapper can cram into the smallest space possible.

Eg. A map with a "Super Elite Mecha Soldier" unit with a custom model that clearly isn't anything to do with Super Elite Mecha Soldiers should score lower than a map that just uses the Goblin Tinker model.

Think of your favourite video game. Now imagine that every character/enemy/whatever was a geriatric woman with a large hairpiece, regardless of what the character/enemy/whatever is supposed to be. Does it look spiffy? Yes. Are the graphics of what they're supposed to be of? No.

Just a thought. =]

Level 3
Eg. A map with a "Super Elite Mecha Soldier" unit with a custom model that clearly isn't anything to do with Super Elite Mecha Soldiers should score lower than a map that just uses the Goblin Tinker model.
Ya, that is for sure, i will use "Bad Points" for that to deduct marks. But so far in those maps I had reviewed (which have custom models), those models/skins are good and match with the heroes description / abilities.

Level 3
not that fast, man. still got a lot to go before I could review yours hehe.. be patient ok?

Level 13
My suggestion is to move a lot of those criteria to the "extra points" category. I developed my system after years of observing reviews, and the one thing I really noticed in every situation is that the most general, all-encompassing criteria are the best to use. Something as specific as Imports and AI are best left for the extra points, since many times they are not needed or simply impossible to use in some cases.

Level 3
Review no.6

NAME : The Uncharted Waters

- (4/5%) Game Details
A lot of information in this game. But there is no message at the game loading screen at all. You should write something there.

- (9/10%) Map Terrain
Terrain is good and beautiful. It looks real.

- (9/10%) Game Graphics
You made the Mini Map and Game Loading screen. They looked nice and match with the theme as well. Even the UI also customized and that is very good. But there are not much custom models for units. I can see that you are good in designing, maybe you can design more units with custom skins.

- (5/5%) Game Flow
The game is very smooth, which is good!

- (5/5%) Game Complexity
Easy to play. Just avoid the land and fight with your enemies.

- (6/10%) Heroes, Units and Items Custom Abilities
Most abilities are like normal warcraft III abilities (+ good points to yourself like +movespeed, +damage, +armor), but there are a few custom abilities too. For example: when carried an item, you can spent it and generate the abilities on your interface. And the abilities for special attack are unique as well (press "W", "A", "D", "S" or arrow keys). Therefore, you earned some marks here already. You can try to include more custom abilities that uses trigger, like dragging enemy ships towards you etc.

- (0/10%) AI
No AI for this map.

- (10/10%) Balance
Everything seems worked fine and balanced in this map. There isn't much to balance too because the units are few and the items are few.

- (7/10%) Creativity
I like the idea of writing the tips at the interface button. Maybe the icons need to be changed because at first we thought that is an orb effect / abilities and tried to click it. And the unique way of battle (press "W", "A", "D", "S" or arrow keys). I suggest you can make more, such as shooting at 45 degree etc. The custom camera stuffs are cool too!

No bugs were found.

- (5/5%) Time
Well, since there are options during the starting of the game, the time can be long or short (Adjustable), which is very good.

- (7/10%) Game Replayability
The replay value is high too because there are a lot of choices / modes at the beginning of the game. But the units are too few. Try to make more units to increase the replay value.

Additional Bad Points:
Big File Size (-2%)
2700++ KB is a big game file and you may consider to reduce the size.

Total Marks : 75 ( DISTINCTION )

Status
Not open for further replies.