1. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Is modding still worth it?

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Lykaas, May 15, 2020.

1. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    On a related note, there is something I've been wondering about.

If I stick to a v1.27 editor and make maps there without any added models, can people who have Reforged installed play those maps?
    What functions in the older versions of the world editor are consistent and don't cause conflicts or crashing?
    If I use GUI only, will that transition over to Reforged smoothly?
    Can I use imported icons with no problems in Reforged gameplay?

2. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    If Warcraft 5 is released using Unreal Engine 5 with almost life-like graphics, will you abandon Warcraft III and Remorsed for it?
    Because of the graphics in 4D?

3. Macadamia

Macadamia

Resources:
    Resources:
    Of course I would. What caught me in Warcraft III and its predecessors back in the day is the thematic and the graphics.

Better graphics and better environment is never a bad thing, if it does not destroy the thematic.

You know, I am old school for many things in life as I will be 50 in 8 days. But I have never rejected progress and new tools.
    Thats exactly why there are things I love, even in Reforge. But please note that it does not mean becoming forgiving on things that became worse.

It's the same deal with our ways of life and the values carried by western societies (we all share a very similar education and way of life, and we probably all watch the same entertainment since childhood !). I love the things that progressed in our societies : more education (didn't say better there), more information, less barbaric behaviors, more self criticism, more technology, and the list goes on.
    On the other hand, I am saddened by the losses in the process, like self-centerism, less family cohesion, less respect overall, and quite a few other new flaws.

Should we go back to the middle age because racism still exists ? Should we go back to the age of stone because of finance ? Should we reject science because some technology agents are malevolent ? Should we regress because with age we start to say things like "it used to be much better in my time" or whatever nonsense like that ?

No our societies were not better before, it already had all the bad things we have today, they were just not as much shown as information technology was not developped enough.
    Had Warcraft 3 TFT been released this year in the state, it would have been ignored by the entire planet. Think about it.

Now I would still encourage people to not accept all the bad things thrown at them. But my view is simple : learn to live with what you have rather than crying about what you don't have. Remember some human beings have nothing at all, however hard they try.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Whatever addictions you might find in reality twisting graphics, I for one still love NES and SNES games for instance. Most are much better than a lot of the video games today which put accent on the video.

5. Macadamia

Macadamia

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh don't misunderstand me, I don't despise games with outdated graphics but with solid game mechanics.
    It's just that they are inherently less "attractive". Does not make them not interesting.

And yes, for some reason, even if I could still play Civilization today, I still feel pleased when looking at beautiful graphics while having fun.

I suppose a couple of years playing Black Desert Online might have affected my judgement beyond what I would have expected.

6. Sparky123

Sparky123

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nintendo is a brand etched in the lives of billions. Blizzard can only dream of being a brand like that.
    World of Warcraft is big, very big... but only a grain of salt in comparison to Nintendo's legacy.
    Super Mario will probably live forever. Inside of a doomsday bunker when the world ends. And someone will play it.

Long time runescape player here. Graphics have never been important to me personally,
    and I understand shiny is also better. Its only a problem when shiny becomes more important than the game.

7. Macadamia

Macadamia

Resources:
    Resources:
    I could not deny that and pretend to be sane :)

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can't wait for all those infinite reboots.

9. praudmur

praudmur

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well I'll share how this whiole situation works for me. I've been a modder for 6+ years(I come from another modding community, mostly made gameplay mods and a couple of story mods). In the past (2004-2007) I played a lot of Warcraft 3(hence the nickname) and back then even made a short multiplayer map of hero defense(it was hero defense and pretty basic and stupid). So when Reforged was announced I was really excited. I was even thinking about making a map on Classic and then releasing it when Reforged comes out(they promised backward compatibility). Then I started W3 and realised that with that graphics I won't be able to create the experience and cool cinematics I want and scratched it.

Then Reforged came out.... A lot of sh&tstorm happened so my plans were basically ruined. After a couple of months I saw Reforged starting getting patched and better so I decided to buy and spent almost a month making map I long dreamed. I was surprised to find that community is not as active as I thought it would be after Reforged came out. Was it Reforged that split it up or was the time taking its toll(it's 2003 game after all)? On the top of that NOW the community is divided between Reforged and Classic and that results in less players. So you either have to make your map for both SD and HD(takes some time) or lose a great amount of players. In overall this whole situation seems F'd up and I don't really see a silver lining here(and I would love to). Now I'm really conflcted about continuing modding - on the one hand I enjoy the process very much(those years of scripting paid off and I find W3 very easy to mod) but on the other hand I don't want to spend months of my time to make a map which would only be played by much fewer people than it could be(well, 6 years ago this wouldn't stop me, guess I'm getting too old for this:grin:)

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes, it is. Though it highly depends on your motivation for Modding.

If you're doing it for other people, then that might be a little tricky; Reforged was always going to fracture the community in some way, and unfortunately it's poor reception has ensured that fracture is quite large.

If you're doing it for yourself (like me), then absolutely!

This isn't true. It's not "malware" and it doesn't "block" the old editor. From the mouth of @MindWorX (one of our own, who was hired & is now working diligently on the Classic Games Team):