• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which version people use for modding these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello Hive,

Been a while since the time when I used to visit here everyday. Disappointment from Reforged and real life eventually made me give up on Warcraft 3. But as always, I come back to our beloved game. Things has changed so much though, I'm no longer up to date and it's not easy to catch up.

I'd like to go back to modding, but I don't own Reforged and I haven't updated the legacy game for ages. I think I'm still on 1.30 on my old computer and I haven't installed Warcraft 3 on my new computer yet.

What I'd like to know is: what version of the game would you recommand to go back to modding? Should I use an older patch, such as 1.30 or 1.31? Or can I safely update the game to the latest version? Knowing that I saved my maps and campaigns on 1.29 or 1.30, will I run the risk of getting crashes or map corruption?

What is the latest patch worth for modding? Did we get new and interesting World Editor features since last year? Or are those new features still only for people who can code? (I remember the UI modification feature, but at the time I was still around it wasn't accessible for the GUI users plebs like me.)
I tried to read all patchnotes since Reforged and I haven't seen much about World Editor, but I may have missed something.

Also, if I update the game to current version, will I be forced to download 20 GB of useless junk even if I don't buy Reforged (and don't plan to)?

In a nutshell: what would be the best version of the game to edit and play my old maps?

Thanks for your answers, cheers :)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
People are spread out.

The reforged guys are obviously running the latest patch as they need as many fixes as physically possible.

For everyone else you can pretty much flip a coin of any patch between 1.26 and 1.31
I personally suggest 1.31 for the UI natives (among others)
but if you want more stability go for 1.27 (because memory hack got patched which is a huge security flaw)
Or 1.29 for widescreen

I would say many people got more than one version installed.
I personally have reforged + 1.31 (for campaigns)

Level 18
Which Patch(es) are people Primarily Modding On?

Should I use an older patch, such as 1.30 or 1.31? Or can I safely update the game to the latest version?
If you decide to update to the latest version, you might wanna make a backup of your old installation and documents (maps, replays, etc) just in case.

Knowing that I saved my maps and campaigns on 1.29 or 1.30, will I run the risk of getting crashes or map corruption?
Custom campaigns are not yet added in reforged so you cannot play them. Maps may also no longer work or have weird bugs in newer versions, but it really depends on the map.

What is the latest patch worth for modding? Did we get new and interesting World Editor features since last year? Or are those new features still only for people who can code? (I remember the UI modification feature, but at the time I was still around it wasn't accessible for the GUI users plebs like me.)
Personally I'd say 1.31 for the UI natives and lua (which through transpilers also allows coding in C#, python, typescript), but if you're using GUI neither of those are really useful to you I guess.

Also, if I update the game to current version, will I be forced to download 20 GB of useless junk even if I don't buy Reforged (and don't plan to)?
More like 30GB and yes.

In a nutshell: what would be the best version of the game to edit and play my old maps?
For your own maps probably 1.29 or 1.30 if that's what you used to create them. The last couple of patches all have their pros and cons in regards to map compatibility and bugs, so it really depends on the map what patch it's best played on.

Level 11
Thanks a bunch for your replies guys, it helps a lot!
I'll try to find a 1.30.4 version of the game now.

but if you want more stability go for 1.27 (because memory hack got patched which is a huge security flaw)

Arbitrary code execution works all the way up to 1.28, it's just that 1.26 and 1.27 have more of a community behind them which makes it easier for anyone to make malicious maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.