• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Have you ever played old games?

Have you done this,

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Commander Keen was the shit! I've had two of them, I can't remember which.

I have to disagree here. There are so many old games that I love, and I'm a realitivly young gamer. Games like Super Metroid, Myst/Riven... not to mention Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Marathon if your talking about FPSs. Sure, they might not look great, but they play as good if not better then most games released today.
I would put money down, that over 80% of gamers rarely touch old games for more than an hour, every once in a while. I would also bet that you yourself don't play nearly as many old games as new. Newer games are just superior in every measurable way (obviously "fun" not being measurable).

Level 3
The game principles themself didn't change a lot. Most resources of the huge teams creating games today go into everything around graphics. While todays games are created for the masses more than ever. Easy to learn, not to complex, and ready from or for a game console. Not all of course, but many. Beside it's consequential that there are more good old games than new ones, because there are simply many more old games than new ones, ever will be.

Personally i also play more new games than old ones. Games are a bit like movies. After i saw it, i want to see a new one. If it's a good one, i might watch it twice in a week. And maybe i will even watch it every other year, or 2 years. And i won't stop watching it before it's finished. And in most cases that's much more than 1 hour. I think it's the same for others, of course also depending on the genre they like. Needless to say, that an hour of space invaders might be enough for a while, while complex strategy-games like x-com, master of orion or master of magic will take days... Btw, complexity is indeed a measurable variable. Even though todays computers would allow more complex strategy games than the oldie PCs, the tendency goes another direction. I'd bet the most complex games are not any of those today.

Level 34
Easy to learn, not to complex, and ready from or for a game console.
You shit'n me?

snes-controlpad.jpg

300px-Xbox360_controler_face.jpg

Level 3
Doubtless game consoles advanced a lot, from Atari's Ping Pong to todays realtime strategy, roleplaying games and ego shooter games, and they still can be played with one device on a Sofa, no desk needed. Very comfortable. Luckily i have a PC and don't need to dig out Ping Pong :).

Level 34
Doubtless game consoles advanced a lot, from Atari's Ping Pong to todays realtime strategy, roleplaying games and ego shooter games,
Exactly.

and they still can be played with one device on a Sofa, no desk needed. Very comfortable. Luckily i have a PC and don't need to dig out Ping Pong :).
Nice dodge. :p

Level 5
For me, the classic megaman and megaman x series, pokemon, and zelda.

Old games have that charm which makes them enjoyable, even if there out-dated.

FF7 is an example of this. Its a classic game that has had several, if not too many, sequels and cameos.

Level 26
I can't stand many primitive 3D games anymore. I don't mind the 2D sprite-based games, but even though I grew up on the N64, the graphics just become intolerable nowadays.

Level 16
Isnt wc3 a old game now? ^^
Anyway, iv played a lot of old games:
Prince of Persia (DOS)
Doom (Dos)
Return to Castle Wolfestein 3D! (DOS)
All the Sega games that comes with my FrontEnd
All the games in my MAME
Duke Nukem (Rules!)
Commandos
StarCraft
Age of Empires (I and II)
GTA II
Diablo I, II, and LOD (RULES!!!)

and much more ones... :D

Level 6
I have a quite long list:

The ooze
Lion King
Tekken 1-3
Mortal Kombat 1-4
C&C Red Alert 1-2
Warcraft 1-3
Starcraft Broodwar
Alladin
Mortal Kombat special forces
Castlevania
Quake 2
Doom 1
Tetris
007 Tomorrow Never Dies
Double Dragon 2-3
Super Mario 1-3
Sonic 1
Rock'n Roll Racing
Contra 1
Wu-Tang Shaolin Style
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Crash Team Racing
Ray Storm
Harry Potter on Sega
Dr Mario
Battle City (lol)

Level 10
Do I play old games? We are here playing Waracraft III, which came out in 2003. Many here play Starcraft, which came out in 1999. As for me, I own a Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Advanced, and some of my favorite games are on them. Lets see...
Pokemon: Red, Blue and Yellow
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (best game in the universe)
Starfox 64
Just to name a few. Somebody mentioned Deus Ex, which I own and play. I also play the older versions of Dance Dance Revolution as opposed to the newer ones (the music choice for Supernova sucked).

TLW

TLW

Level 2
I have to admit I prefer old games over new. I don't know what it is but some older games have more to do in them than new games.

Trophies and Achivments dont count as "things to do" unless your really into it..

<-- Am not.

Level 3
I played many old games the Dendy....I rember my first game(no super mario)....it is a ninja who rescuet princess....he he he

Level 13
I still love these old games, they bring back good memories:

-Starcraft
-Tribes 2
-Morrowwind
-Warcraft 3
-Call of Duty 2
-Need for Speed 3
-Soldier of Fortune 2
-Return to Castle Wolfenstien
-Starwars the Phantom Menace
-Tekken
-Tekken 2
-Tekken 3
-Indianna Jones and the Infernal Machine
-Time Crisis
-Predator Concrete Jungle
-Red Alert Aftermath
-Oddworld Abes Exodus
-AVP Extinction
-AVP 2
-Halo
-Counter Strike
-Doom 3
-Half Life
-Dawn of War Dark Crusade
-Dawn of War Winter Assault
-Worms 2
-Starwars Battlefront
-Starwars Battlefront 2
-Serious Sam
-MDK 2

Level 13
Yeah, it was one of my favorites; the gameplay/story/puzzles/humur were the best for its time :)

Level 6
I love old-school games. Recently finished Metroid Zero Mission, also downloaded Mario 64 to my Wii and am currently working on that.

Level 9
Epic Filipino life ensures recycling old games and being outdated of newer ones.

- Battle Realms
- The Family Computer
- Old Blizzard games like Diablo and Starcraft
- Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3
- Gameboy Games
- PS 1 games

Status
Not open for further replies.