• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Have you ever played old games?

Have you done this,

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Grandia is one of the RPG series of all time. I prefare 2 over 1. And 1 over 3. And Xtreme just sucked. 1 showed a great new battle system while 2 perfected it. Now it has to start back over with the perfection that was lost when it traded hands into Square Enix. Though traveling around in that game is a bit linear. That much I have to say is pretty bad with it. Not being able to revist begining places late in the game unless you want to spend a few heroes back peddling. And in 3, what kind've a character to have in your party is your mom? Traveling on exicting adventures with your mom. I still don't get that.

Level 1
Hmmm... I've played Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, Some old Mario game at my friends house, a collection of old games from the NES & SNES and stuff for the original gameboy (once again, at a friends house) and does Warcraft II count? 'Cuz I played it at my cousins house.

Level 5
I usually play old games when I get tired of modern ones.

Old games that I've played: Shining Force (2, SFCD, SF3 Scn1;Genesis & Saturn), Sonic (1, 2; Genesis), Phantasy Star (2, 4; Genesis), Comix Zone (Genesis), Vectorman (1, 2; Genesis), Shadowrun (Genesis), Super Mario Bros. (1, 2, 3; NES) Duck Hunting (NES), Street of Rage
(2, 3; Genesis)

All those stuff listed above use to belong to my older brother (20) and my uncle (early thirties).

Level 1
I downloaded Wc1 once, finished it... not too bad for the time. Considering it was made in 1994 if there was a rating I'd give it a 9/10. The one point off would've been story. It's just a generic good and evil which DOES make a good game, but I prefer more depth...

Level 21
I love old games, they are the best ones ever, for example: Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Lufia, Time, Dragon Quest Monsters, Twisted Metal: Back Twist, Pac Man 3D, Technomage, Final Fantasy 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Zelda, Banjo Kazooi, Joshi's Island, Mysti Quest and many many more.

Level 36
Warcraft 3 is an old game. It's from 2003 = 5 years ago. But if you mean like isometric/2d games like Diablo, I don't really have any of those (except for age of empires 2 and stronghold), these are for PC.

For consoles, I play some old PS2 games and Halo 1 and 2 (very occasionally)

Level 6
Old games rock! No one can beat the old-school.
Personally, I like all of Lucas Arts old adventure games like: Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle (emphasis on the Full Throttle, probably my favorite). Most old school adventure games rock. Never played Quest for Glory, but I did play the Teirra re-make of Kings Quest, which rocked (the original is way good too, but I did like the re-make of it).
Some other awesome old games I also liked for Nintendo are: Mario and the Seven Stars (ROCKED!!), Zelda: Link to the Past and Zelda: Links adventure.
Again, old games are the shiz!!

Level 3
Oh man. Seeing Scorched Earth, Shining Force (II), Grandia (II), Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star (II + IV), Streets of Rage, Secret of Mana, FF 5-6, up there makes my forum life complete.

People say graphics don't make the game, which they don't, but why play old games with poor graphics when you can play games that have as good if not better game play and better graphics. To me, neither game play or graphics make a game alone. An ugly game isn't much fun to play.

Than you're talking about poor use of system power to fuel the graphics and poor style. Look at master system games like Altered Beast and Phantasy Star. They weren't jaw-dropping but they were polished for the system's power.

I just recently pulled out my N64 and played through Banjo-Kazooie (100% in one sitting, lol) and started working on Tooie (that game is hilarious, but big and difficult) only to have it interrupted by Brawl. I looove Warcraft II but I got stuck in the expansion, I need queues to be succesful in RTSs.

Level 5
Sonic CD

Is one of my favorite Old Games, low graphic but had the funnest boss fights and levels. I still love Stardust Speedway and the race with Metal Sonic to save amy. Good Times:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 3
I played many old games, and there are still some oldies i pick out of the shelf from time to time, like x-com apocalypse, my favored oldie. In that game you fight aliens that infiltrated the earth (respectively the mega-city). A very good strategy game with lots of freedoms. My best roleplaying game memories come from amberstar. Bad grafics, but epic. Unfortunately i never found a stable version for the dos-box. Instead, not long ago, i played dungeon master on dos-box and it turned out to be still fun. Another favorite is burntime, which i preferably play on winuae (amiga emulator), probably not to well known, it's an atmospheric mix of strategy and rpg. From the shooters i prefer the roleplaying-type shooters, like systemshock, systemshock 2 (and bioshock, which is no oldie of course) or deus ex. Not to forget the lucasfilm adventures, maniac mansion, zak, monkey island... :grin:

Level 5
crap super nintendo isnt as old as Atari i mean come on I played all those old ms. pac man games and stuff. Sega genasis is much older than nintendo. I win Atari was like the first video system to come out.

Level 34
Old games are inferior to new ones. I'd rather play almost any FPS game now, over Golden Eye or Perfect Dark, regardless of how good those games used to be.

Granted, I will play old games, don't get me wrong, but they aren't as good. It's more for nostalgia.

Level 2
Old games are inferior to new ones. I'd rather play almost any FPS game now, over Golden Eye or Perfect Dark, regardless of how good those games used to be.

Granted, I will play old games, don't get me wrong, but they aren't as good. It's more for nostalgia.

I have to disagree here. There are so many old games that I love, and I'm a realitivly young gamer. Games like Super Metroid, Myst/Riven... not to mention Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Marathon if your talking about FPSs. Sure, they might not look great, but they play as good if not better then most games released today.

As for this thread in general, here are some old games that I like:

Megaman 1,2,3, X1, X2, X3 (Great fun, but they can feel dated due to their excessive difficaulty)

Mario games (...)

Zelda games (...)

Super Metroid (Everything about this game is awesome)

Super Castlevania 4 (Not too hard, good gameplay, great music)

Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3(These games just have an undenaible coolness that makes me think of them fondly)

Soul Reaver (Extremly solid game...)

Doom (Can get a little monotinous but is overall a blast to play. Good to make sure your adrenilin exists...)

Duke Nukem (Don't expect it to be serious. Expect to laugh your ass off and have a good time blowing crap up)

Marathon (Great gameplay and prime story)

Myst/Riven (Perhaps best atmosphere and story in a game ever. Also, puzzles will make your brain burst open. NOTE: Unhealthy to play after Doom/Duke Nukem)

That's all I can think of for now

Status
Not open for further replies.