• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forbidden Experiments

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Forbidden Experiments
Custom 24 player melee map
"Gluttonous wizards knew no limits for their studies, tapping into the forbidden areas of sorcery. Their experiments went out of control, releasing devastating and powerful force upon them. Frivolous mages had no choice, but to bow to their own summons."

"Forbidden Experiments" was created specifically for 6v6v6v6 or 12v12 battles (FFA not recommended). Players will have enough territory and resources to get started, but they will soon encounter other players and powerful monsters when exploring the city. Creeps are intentionally difficult, since each player will have many allies to help clear the map. The unique feature of this map is the ability to enter Outland through the portals, which will (1) give players some more space to play and avoid 24 player madness and (2) allow them to obtain powerful artifacts, such as Soul Gem, by killing very strong creeps. The landscape is mostly wide enough to allow for massive team-fights, but there are a few narrow paths, bridges and cliffs where strategical decisions can be made. Legendary artifacts, diverse landscape and abundance of neutral buildings allow for insane 24 player madness!

! The map DOES include minor changes in units and one custom unit:
  • Dalaran Mercenary Camp unit pool is changed to include: Rouge Wizard, Deceiver, Felguard and Eredar Sorcerer
  • Prices of the units listed above were raised slightly to account for their power
  • Eredar Lord unit added: custom boss that is extremely strong; drops Soul Gem

Map Characteristics:
  • Size: 192 x 256
  • 50 gold mines
  • 4 Taverns
  • 4 Goblin Merchants
  • 4 Goblin Laboratories
  • 4 Mercenary Camps
  • 2 Market Places
  • 2 Fountains of Mana
  • 1 Fountain of Health
  • 1 Dragon Roost
Updates:

v. 1.1 (22.04.2018)
- Added neutral creeps on every starting position
- Added 8 new smaller creep camps around the map

Screenshots:

a>

a>

j4yfP7
h6zRxS
nxymxS
gnNqP7

Contents

Forbidden Experiments (Map)

Reviews
fantocan
Looks cool, but the starting zones for players would be nice to put creeps there too in case less than 24 players in game (wich is very likelly), and it got the same issue as all the other new 24 maps, a lot of space with no units, you could place...
deepstrasz
Please hide screenshots. Changes are too minimal to be a good altered melee. I suggest turning this into regular melee but that would mean deleting the south island for balance sake. Terrain is mostly flat and not really refined. Doodads partially...
Level 5
Looks cool, but the starting zones for players would be nice to put creeps there too in case less than 24 players in game (wich is very likelly), and it got the same issue as all the other new 24 maps, a lot of space with no units, you could place some more yellow or even green creep camps to fill those gaps, or if you want to keep the idea of big creeps just fill the gaps with red creep camps.

But the idea is great and does look very nice.

Level 2
Looks cool, but the starting zones for players would be nice to put creeps there too in case less than 24 players in game (wich is very likelly), and it got the same issue as all the other new 24 maps, a lot of space with no units, you could place some more yellow or even green creep camps to fill those gaps, or if you want to keep the idea of big creeps just fill the gaps with red creep camps.

But the idea is great and does look very nice.

Thank you for your feedback fantocan! I added neutral creeps to every starting gold mine, that was a great idea. I also added 8 smaller creep camps around the map. I agree with you that there are a lot of empty areas on the map; however, when there are 24 players, they will almost always be busy fighting each other and getting exp that way. Therefore, I decided not to pack the map with creeps too much, but rather add few strong camps, forcing players to make a decision: fight their enemies, or invest some time into creeping for powerful artifacts.

Level 3
I like this map concept and I really enjoy playing but I suggest you put some boss fight in different parts of the map or make a space for bosses so that players will enjoy fighting a boss rather than a brainless creeps :) :) 4/5

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Please hide screenshots.

Changes are too minimal to be a good altered melee. I suggest turning this into regular melee but that would mean deleting the south island for balance sake.
Terrain is mostly flat and not really refined.
Doodads partially block path to neutral camps.
There aren't enough trees for non-night elf players.
Camp range has to be highest for those guarding mines to avoid tower exploits.

What altered melee really is:
How to: Create a Full-working Custom Race
Custom Race Creation: Advanced Mechanics
UB - Ultimate Battle v1.99c AI+
Deforestation of Felwood v2.1.1
Nightborne v1.04
Planetary Domination v2.04
Sands of Time [v1.9]
The Grand Citadel (Racial Issue 1.6)

Set to Substandard.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

U P L O A D I N G - A - M A P

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.