1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #14

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by PurplePoot, Jun 17, 2008.

1. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Lol spiwn, shame on you.

2. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    oh, forgot to say this

redscores, dont look at my triggers, there are too many For each (Integer A) actions in it :)

3. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I dont like those loops, go away, simply use integer variables :<.

:ask:

4. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    even tho my submission is too late i want to see what it would of got lol or what people think.

Attached Files:

5. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    oo.. I thought it should be jass.

I found a thing though, not quite sure of it since it wasnt possible to see D:
    What it I die when I have cast the spell and the face is coming towards me? Will the face-unit be resummoned?

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just a note, this is why it's best to submit a day in advance.

7. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    sorry i dont know what day it is on GMT...

8. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    GMT can't be more than 12 hours off your time...

On a side note, I'm mostly done with the marking, and have two or three more spells to mark tomorrow.

9. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    its 6 hours ahead of me so i have to be 6 hours faster

10. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But you as such start 6 hours fast, too.

It's not like the time between two times in GMT depends where you are in the world.

XieLong - Matter Deprivation
    • Idea: 5/5 points
      Definitely a neat idea.​
    • Triggering: 5/10 points
      SetUnitMaxLife had a typo causing it to incorrectly change life for high values. Arbitrarily overusing Dynamic Triggers for no good reason is also quite a bad idea, as it is inefficient and also not that hard to cause excessive glitches with. Seeing as you don't need to remove triggerconditions, and they're faster, they should be used when possible if you are actually using dynamic triggers. Also, you lose a few points due to the massive glitchiness of the script ingame.​
    • Overall Aspect: 2/5 points
      The tooltip and icon fit and were useful. However, as for the spell itself, it was horrendously buggy, randomly ending earlier than it should, throwing stats all over the place, and so on.​
    • Visual Effects: 3/5 points
      The visual effects were not fancy, but stood out and clearly indicated the spell's presence. However, the instantaneous shrinking of the hero when it ended was rather choppy and thus not the nicest-looking.​
    • Theme: 3/3 points
      The spell matched the theme well.​
    • Total: 18/28 points
      While it was a nice idea, this spell was glitchy to the point where I wondered whether it was ever tested.​

Razorbrain - Curse of Mosh'Gah
      The spell was a good idea.​
    • Triggering: 6/10 points
      The spell was only partially MUI. The way of making this spell MUI was horrendously inefficient. The effect position was relative to a preplaced unit.​
    • Overall Aspect: 5/5 points
      A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. Would perform well in a variety of situations.​
    • Visual Effects: 5/5 points
      The visual effects were not fancy, but stood out and clearly indicated the spell's presence.​
    • Total: 24/28 points
      An interesting idea, but not carried out very well on the trigger side.​

-BerZeKer- - Torching Grip
    • Idea: 3/5 points
      The spell was a decent idea, but prone to many problems.​
    • Triggering: 7/10 points
      The spell was not MUI in any way, shape, or form. The Movement Speed bug was prone to glitching in about any game in existence, and was also rather easy to fix (Boots of Speed ability). Rather than copying a ton of actions to have the spell end in a certain place, an exitwhen should have been applied.​
    • Overall Aspect: 3/5 points
      A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. However, it would likely be nearly impossible to balance.​
      The visual effects were not fancy, but fit.​
    • Total: 21/28 points
      An idea that was half-thought out and prone to bugs. Triggering was decent but not good.​

Eccho - Savage Frenzy
      The spell was a decent idea, but similar spells have been done before.​
    • Triggering: 8/10 points
      Your code was decent, but it was spamming me with HSAS messages when I did not have debug mode enabled. Also, your condition function could be better implemented with a local boolean. You don't have to remove triggerconditions, so you should only use them and skip triggeractions altogether. SetUnitState can be replaced with SetWidgetLife, same with GetUnitState and GetWidgetLife, in situations when you use UNIT_STATE_LIFE.​
    • Overall Aspect: 4/5 points
      A fitting tooltip and icon, and performed well ingame. However, the tooltip failed to indicate that spell immune units and mechanical units do not trigger the ability.​
    • Visual Effects: 4/5 points
      The visual effects fit, though they could have been slightly more interesting.​
    • Total: 22/28 points
      Fairly well coded, but be careful with your tooltip, and a more original spell would be nicer.​

Purification - Armor Disenchantment
      The spell was a decent idea, but not particularly special.​
      Your triggers were rather simplistic, and deleaking was carried out badly. The spell could have easily been made more efficient, just by moving some lines around. Due to the position of your deleaking, the spell was likely prone to bugs.​
      A fitting icon, but the tooltip was rather poorly structured: no hotkey was provided, the tooltip provided more info in the hero skills menu, and so on. The spell should be relatively portable to different kinds of maps.​
      The visual effects fit well.​
      Keep working on spell making! It's a nice way to practice your triggering/scripting, and there's always something new to learn. As for this spell, you should mainly do some more triggers and post them up for revision to see how you can improve more clearly than this review states.​

redscores - Gold Drain
    • Idea: 1/5 points
      Besides the fact that this is a rather unoriginal idea, the effect (not the visuals, but otherwise) is an exact clone of Darky29's Gold Drain/Drain Gold/Something else of that name, bar the explosion at the end.​
      Your script was decent, but had some bad coding practice and other flaws. You had a scope, but barely used it at best. You included a ton of struct members which should have been locals in various functions instead, which is inefficient as well as pointless. A global location which was moved via MoveLocation would have been more efficient than your implementation. You also leak, judging by the few instances in your code (not nulling a group, for example), and the fact that three or four casts of your spell increased my handle ID count by roughly 900.​
      The tooltip was rather poorly grammatically structured, though it was informative. The icon was fitting. Balance would be a very fine line when using this spell in almost any map.​
    • Total: 19/28 points
      You mainly got nuked here for your lack of an original idea, and terrible vJass application. The spell was decent ingame, but on the code and idea side, it needed major work.​

The_Reborn_Devil - Steal Gold
      As with redscores', the spell is rather unoriginal. The 1 point is earned from the fact that it specifically targets a gold mine.​
    • Triggering: 7/10 points
      Gamecache is generally deprecated with the advent of vJass, especially due to its bugginess. Additionally, the fact that you use lightnings in gamecache is basically asking for it to glitch - lightnings are, for whatever reason, good at that. You also stored to a rather excessive number of things.​
      The icon fit, but the tooltip was lacking a hotkey and general structure. The spell would work well in a melee game, if balanced properly.​
    • Total: 20/28 points
      A more original idea would be ideal (no pun intended), and for the love of all that is good in the world, please use vJass. Gamecache is deprecated for a reason.​

gaydaman88 - Spirituatl Exchange
      This was a quite neat idea.​
      The triggers leaked quite a bit. The spell was only MPI, not fully MUI. Implementation of dummies with preset abilities is a bad idea for ease of importing purposes. You do things which make assumptions about the way the map is triggered (ex Last Created Weather Effect) which are a bad idea in practice.​
      The icon was rather lacking (just a Tauren Chieftain icon), but the tooltip was decent. The spell would work well in a melee game, if balanced properly.​
      The visual effects fit the spell well.​
    • Total: 23/28 points
      It was a nice idea, but your triggering could mainly use some improvement here. Look up a general leak tutorial, and work on MUI.​

Martin Barbov - Heart's Wrest
      A nice twist on the standard lifesteal idea.​
      You leak a lot of groups in "spell init", and create/destroy one which it is pointless to. A For Each Integer A loop did not, in fact, have much place in the triggering at all. The triggers were otherwise simple but decent.​
      Careful with your tooltip (3100 damage at level 3 :p)! The spell's icon fit the theme, and the spell would work well in a variety of games.​
    • Total: 25/28 points
      In general pretty well done, though the triggering could've used a few tweaks. Also, keep a watch out for typos!​

terradont - Steal
      Other than the fact that the stat this stole is random, it's been done more than a few times before.​
      I'm almost certain you leak from setting StealPoint = Center of No Region. Just don't bother nulling globals at all. Otherwise, the triggering was relatively good, bar lack of MUI, which could have easily been achieved using (Triggering Unit).​
      The tooltip and icon were fitting. The spell's balance would be rather delicate in most game types.​
      You did a pretty good job with most of the categories here, but it would be good if you could come up with a more original idea in the future.​

spiwn - Soul Steal
      A neat and unique idea.​
      Your scripting was pretty good, but could use some work. The condition would have been better implemented using a local boolean. You really shouldn't use structs in this way, it's not how they're designed at all, and it makes little sense to. ==true is redundant. Z height checking could be more efficiently implemented by moving around a global location.​
      The icon was fitting, but watch out for grammar and spelling in your tooltip! The spell would fit into a variety of maps.​
    • Visual Effects: 4/5 points
      The visual effects fit the spell well, except the lightning fade was rather choppy. It would be good if you took Blizzard's example with the melee abilities and made the lightning fade out.​
    • Total: 24/28 points
      You squeezed a close second here. Keep looking into structs, but remember, they're data structures, not just blocks to randomly put code in!​

Congratulations to Martin Barbov and all contestants.

11. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    That was fast(faster than last time) :)
    Lol.
    Heart's Wrest - buggy, it is hard to understand what the spell does from the tooltips :D
    I am not jealous of Martin Barbov(a fellow Bulgarian :p ), as I said for me, it is not about winning. It is just that ... lets say it this way: when I saw that spell I thought it would get last place :D

ah, whatever, just ignore that and read on ;)

I ask of a favor from PurplePoot - could you please clarify some of the things you mentioned, so that I can improve :)
    What do you mean by "rather choppy"?
    I think the spell looks exactly like what I wanted it to look like(with the compromise of lightnings not going towards "the attacking hand") :D
    What is the problem with the condition(you are talking about the condition of the 'initial' trigger, right? ) ? Yes, returning a local boolean is an option, but does this way cause any problems?
    And the last thing I am interested in is about structures. In program languages structures are meant to be used like this. Why isn't that recommended in (v)Jass?
    (I also noted a significant drop in handle indexes when I put everything inside the structures - from a top of 800-900 to 500-600).
    I thank you in advance :)
    I will be happy if you answer that, even if after your vaction.
    Anyways, that "tha" slipped :D

12. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Wow... I really thought spiwn or redscores would win... Didn't know about darky's already existing gold drain :>

Poot, one thing... The HSAS flooding was there because the code who said it should be enabled was true.
    Maybe I should have told you that but I thought you knew about HSAS more than me. Simply if you would have
    public boolean DebugMap = false
    it would have worked...

Good work Martin. I thought the leaks would pull you down but appearantly not ;)

13. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No one got a perfect coding score? I'll have to remember to join the next contest :p

14. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    HINDYhat... -.-

15. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Good one, thats lame, i didnt know darky made one, this sucks... highly, in my opinion, i cant make something what never on this earth happened, thats it, i will never take contest on such a lame shit.

Thanks alot you lost a member of THW.

16. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I know my will not be even close to be one of best, triggering really sux, and i tried to edit the boots of speed, but id didn't work... At the first place i don't even like the theme. It could be better, if i would have time to play with it(i just made a spell the first day the contest started, than i mostly didn't do anything for next 14 days) purple, you did good on my spell(but if i were you, i would give(myself) lower score)

Purple, have fun in Spain!

HF -BZR-

17. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    redscores, no one cares. GTFO now or stop being such an overdramatic sore loser. Poot was the judge, he makes the decisions. If you're going to cry about such a small internet contest, no one wants to hear your whining. I'll go test some spells out of curiosity.

EDIT: Boring spell and sloppy coding.

18. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    HINDY, shut the fuck up, you are going on my nerves seriously, and yes, i am already out.

19. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    full score except for triggering..... im quite satisfied with my score, atleast i came in 2nd place with spiwn

congrats Martin Barbov btw :p

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I never had any bugs with it, odd (Unless you mean that they still spawned when no enemies were near).

You didn't lose points for everything I put down, sometimes they were just suggestions.

It suddenly appeared then suddenly disappeared, which looked rather weird.

You didn't use them to store data, you used them to contain the entire contents of your spells.

They are only used as such in fully OOP in which it isn't an option to do it any other way. Jass is still primarily procedural.

There was another, too, though I can't remember it right now xD

You really shouldn't have to change the spell's code to make you not get spammed, that was my point.

And judging by the fact that I don't use HSAS and only ever did once, to review an old version without this feature, you probably know more about it than me. But remember, most will know nothing about it whatsoever. You should initialize it to false so that people can change it to true if they want, but don't have to.

The leaks got him a bit but the rest of his triggers were good enough to make up for it (Some local sections had problems, yes, but the rest)...

It's also rather broadcasted that I go easier on GUI than Jass, otherwise they would never have a chance (For ex, GUI doesn't have to worry about BJs for the reason that there is no way to deal with them), and we don't have enough Jassers to run a contest with only them anyways. However, it doesn't make it any harder for a Jasser to win than a GUIer by any means ;).

xD

Well blah, it's not exactly a unique spell, which you can tell alone from the fact that two got into the same contest.

Also, Bobo_The_Kodo warned you of such about a week ago or more, so it's not like you didn't have time to change.

If that's going to be your opinion for not getting a free win from something which didn't earn it, then we're probably pretty lucky.

No problem, some themes strike some people more than others.

Unless Rui unstickies this, it will be up until I get back, seeing as I'd like to to stay up for another while, and yet I won't have time to unsticky it after 3 hours and 59 minutes from now.