1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #11

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by PurplePoot, Feb 5, 2008.

1. wd40bomber7

wd40bomber7

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweet. Its very likely I'll take part in that contest! Now I need to think of a good idea.. hmm..

In FIRST robotics (and Tech) the robots come with a set of default code. It only takes one or two lines of code to take the joystick output and directly output it to the motors. Its incredibly more complicated if you wanted to do something like stick-shaping.

2. Dil999

Dil999

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe the line was something like call TankControl(1,256,2,256)
    Which runs the motors at either 256 (full power) forwards or backwards when teh corresponding trigger is pressed forwards or backwards.

3. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Darn want too, my head is useless in the past few days, though, if you get what I mean lol.

Ah ok that explains it.
    Whats this "first" robotics though ? you do not learn it as a subject in school ?

4. Dil999

Dil999

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    FIRST is a yearly international robotics competition between over 8,000 high schools, trying to accomplish a specific goal. Teams have 6 weeks to build the robot from scratch, this year's robots were 28x38 (I think, i dont remember exactly) inches, and a maximum of 6 feet tall. The goal was to collect balls whih were held 8 feet in mid air, and then push them around a 50x30 track. Each lap around earns 2 points, moving the balls over their starting point (the 8 foot area) as they passed was 8 additional points, and ptting the balls BACK on their starting points when the game ended was 12 points.
    This may seem easy, but the balls were 40 inches in diameter and aren't that light.

bomber7, whats you team number and what competitions are you going to?
    My team is going to Davis and maybe San Jose (california)

5. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Guys, plz stop off topic ... is there any news about the contest ???

6. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah cool, my school has one team too. Looked a bit on their robot but didn't know untill now whats its supposed to do :xxd:

Offtopic is fun ! :p
    And when purple will have news he will say them here.

7. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Meh .... I just would like to know the releasing dates ...
    Anyway, how is the spell wolf ?

8. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And you say no offtopic ^^
    Still buggy for practicly no reason. Been trying to change stuff but it never helps :nw::huh::bored:

9. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    mm i forgot to post my spell.... o well..

10. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Purple... will u check the spells soon?

11. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy because I'm just leaving for a week and a half's vacation later today. (This also means I won't be hosting another S&S Mini Contest for at least the upcoming Monday, and maybe the Monday after (I get back some time that day, not sure when))

Literally working on the spell marking right now. (I'll edit this post when it's up)

Martin Barbov - Elemental Chain
    • Idea: 5 points
      While the chain theme cannot be stretched as much as some other themes, this was certainly a very original chain spell.​
    • Triggering: 4 points
      In general, it was fairly well done, but it lacked MUI, and also may leak (I have a feeling Prev_target_pos has a chance to leak, if Current_Target < 5)​
    • In-Game Playability: 3 points
      It would work pretty well ingame, with balancing of course. (Right now the various powers of the elements were rather random)​
    • Visual Effects: 1 point
      A lot of the time it was hard to tell what was going on due to a lack of obvious effects, particularly on the chain (the buffs showed fine)​
    • Theme: 3 points
      Fits well into the 'Chain' theme​
    • Total: 16 points
      A generally well-done spell, though slightly more prominent visuals, as well as MUI, would be preferable.​

TKF - Chain Bomb
      Original and works well.​
    • Triggering: 4 points
      In general, it was fairly well done, but sometimes inexplicably it would hit your own guy, and sometimes it wouldn't, with no obvious correlation as to why.​
    • In-Game Playability: 2 points
      It kinda gets imbalanced when they have lots of clustered units.​
    • Visual Effects: 2 points
      Looked good (But fix the dummy shadows!)​
      Fits well into the 'Chain' theme​
    • Total: 16 points
      Pretty well done, but the chain effect could be a bit better thought out in terms of balance, and that bug is pretty bad.​

stryke - Volcano Blast
      Seems original.​
    • Triggering: 3 points
      The on damage system could be improved, the chain only works if you are near them (So I assume it is measured from your position), and that you have some weirdness in your code, for example, you destroy some groups twice, which could be fixed.​
    • In-Game Playability: 2 points
      Due to buggyness, it has some flaws.​
      Looked fine.​
      Fits well into the 'Chain' theme (when it works, anyways).​
    • Total: 15 points
      Decent, but fix those bugs!​

Global_idiot - Shield of Chain Terror
    • Idea: 4 points
      Blah, I'm iffy on this one, but plenty of "antiorbs" have been done, and standard chain lightning isn't the most special effect.​
      Leaks, and A Unit is Attacked should be replaced (Ever seen anyone abuse it?).​
      Would be a great support spell.​
      The effects suited the spell.​
      Fits well into the 'Chain' theme.​
    • Total: 15 points
      Pretty good. Look into leaks!​

Flame_Phoenix - Stun Chain
    • Idea: 3 points
      Has been done more than once before.​
      While the triggering was fairly clean, you should really look into timers; the intervals were very choppy, as well as the delay in between the impact and damage+stun.​
      Would be a good support spell.​
      The effects suited the spell.​
      Fits fine into the 'Chain' theme.​
    • Total: 14 points
      Not one of your best spells. Look into timers (as I suggested), and try to make some more original ideas next time)
      I had to pick one of your spells (at random), Flame. You're only supposed to enter one spell.​

I guess we'll have to vote for a winner, guys (Between the two 16s). Since I'll be on vacation for a while, the prizes will be awarded on the Monday/Tuesday (not sure which) that I get back, just over a week from today.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  12. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    When will they be ready PP ?? Tonight ?

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Had to get stuff for skiing (so I was gone for two hours), but they're up.

14. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I feel I must say this:
    So you gave more points to a spell (actually spells) that leaks, is not MUI and has lower playability (Some of them don't even wait for the unit to get hit, what if the unit dies before ? Bug ?!), than to my code, just because I didn't use timers to prevent a possible bug... even when my spell is MUI and leak free ... even when I prevent that same bug from happening, and even when some of them use TriggerSleepACtion as well... you gave them higher (or equal) score...

Although I agree with the spell's judgement over all, I can not agree with the Trigerring part... ever ...

Btw, if you find any orther chain stun spell, I would like to SEE it plz ...
    I am not saying I would be a better judge, or even trying to teach anything, I am just saying I don't understand ... and don't agree.

EDIT
    Your judgement though me a lesson in deed - crappy code with good idea = win, good code with not so good idea = lose, not matter the effort.

I still don't understand how people who wasted 2 hours with a spell managed to get Higher points ... if this is your definition of fairness, then you need to improve it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  15. TKF

TKF

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My chain bomb is supposed to damage friendlies, even the tinker if he stay to close, so that's intentional. You only hit yourself if you stay to close to the explosion. (The first scatter doesn't hit you)

But I totally forgot to remove the the dummy shadow. I should have removed it.

But I didn't expect to get tied with another guy for the win. I didn't expect for my simple spell to have a chance :eekani:

16. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow i we made a pretty good job, im proud on myself xD. ye i fucked with triggering i didnt evens set any variables for locations etc.(i made the spell in 2hours from idea to effect...) but it seems that we were pretty equal :)

Edit:
    and who is the winner? :S

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  17. TKF

TKF

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where do you vote and who can vote?

Anyway I give my vote to Elemental Chain spell. It deserves to win, cuz his spell is made of hard work.

18. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then you didn't see mine ...
    Although I must agree the idea was original, the code is not that efficient ... So I vote for the spell with most efficient code which is the other.

19. Global_idiot

Global_idiot

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wote for elemental chain... because of good triggering, but personaly the spell effect seems odd to me... Phoenix: your spell with mana burn is good, the second with fireballs, there is a little delay when the fireball hits the unit and when the unit gets stunned. Dont get all angry because of the markings there is a plenty of contests coming, this is just a lesson that we two must improve :)

20. Flame_Phoenix

Flame_Phoenix

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, about the delay, that is something that can be fixed by using the object editor, but didn't have the time I needed to test it.

About angry, well, I have reasons to. Although I agree in the fact that you, per example, had max value on the originality (I think it was a great idea in deed), I am angry because I feel the triggering part was not fair. And I think I know why PP gave me that crappy score (but I wont risk it telling it here)...

Besides that was probably a one-life chance for me, now school begins again and I won't be able to create any jass codes for a while.

Anyway, I wish you guys the best of luck in winning the contest. I am not angry at you or your opponent, so you need not to worry.

Anyway, have fun =) enjoy the prize