• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Existence of God

See below.

• Yes, and I can prove it with logic.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Yes, but I only believe. I can't prove it.

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • I will remain unaffiliated until proof is given. (No.)

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • No, it's just an invention.

Votes: 31 36.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
And this anti-Christian thought is based on the evil deeds of a few. If you think Christians are evil/promoters of evil you are dead wrong. We are out there on the mission field giving aid and help to the desperate and destitute while most of the secular world is counting beans on what to give and when.
Ahahaha... Again, motherfucking partisan with a motherfucking agenda. "Religious" does not mean Christian, and I never implied that it did. Ironically, you were the one that allowed for that opening. I was referring to Shiite Muslims versus Sunni Muslims. They are violently loyal to God, and they claim that their God is the same God as the Judeo-Christian God (which you acknowledge as fact). So really, violence in the middle east is caused by people turning to God, as opposed to people turning away from him.

And humanity isnt better. We have more stuff. And more technology to make our lives easier and physically healthy. But look at us. We are incredibly evil people. We are so knee deep in our own selfish and unhappy lives of greed, lying, and just all around disregard for even the sanctity of life. Not to mention that our generation is falling into this "If it feels good do it" "No consequences" idealism.
It's not a disregard for the sanctity of life, it's a debate over when a cluster of cells becomes significant enough to become life.

Here's an argument for people against God: no empirical proof.

Personally, I believe that some order of greater being created the universe, and left it alone. Like donut.35.

Level 24
The point of morality is that it increases our race's overall survival rate. Our race is likely to survive if the weak have help. Our race is likely to survive if we don't freaking kill each other (lol, nature's solution to overpopulation is cannibalism). Our race is likely to survive if we aren't all too materialistic for our group's good. Our race is likely to survive if individuals detrimental to group dynamics are otherwise neutralized.

Level 27
Most religions say that there is some kind of life after this one. And if not, then life has no point.
Without god, there is no possibility for an afterlife, and therefore no point to life.
With god, there is a possibility for an afterlife, and therefore meaning is possible.

Level 26
Circular logic much?
How so? You sacrifice physically to feel better mentally. Where's the circle?
Most religions say that there is some kind of life after this one. And if not, then life has no point.
Without god, there is no possibility for an afterlife, and therefore no point to life.
With god, there is a possibility for an afterlife, and therefore meaning is possible.
So the point of life is to get to the afterlife? What's the point of the afterlife then?

Level 27
What's the point of feeling better mentally? You will die eventually.
Doing anything to continue human life is pointless because human life is pointless.[/WITHOUT_GOD]
Do I have to spell it out?

The afterlife might have a point. Nobody really knows.

Level 26
What's the point of feeling better mentally? You will die eventually.
Doing anything to continue human life is pointless because human life is pointless.[/WITHOUT_GOD]
Do I have to spell it out?
Why bother feeling good? In the end, it's only the afterlife that matters, right?
The afterlife might have a point. Nobody really knows.
The "unknown" argument won't work here. If you know nothing about the afterlife, life will still be pointless in your standards.

Level 27
Why bother feeling good? In the end, it's only the afterlife that matters, right?
What's new about that?
The "unknown" argument won't work here. If you know nothing about the afterlife, life will still be pointless in your standards.
If god says there is an afterlife, then god says that life matters.

Why is it so hard to understand that without god, life is just a chemical reaction?

Level 27
What's mysterious about this life? It's all explainable.
If there were meaning in life without god, then we would be able to know by now.

If life is just a chemical reaction, then what's the point?

Level 26
What's new about that?
I'm sure you have a few luxuries of your own. What's the point of them if the only purpose of life is the afterlife?
What's mysterious about this life? It's all explainable.
ROFL. NUMBER OF STARS IN THE UNIVERSE PLZ.
If there were meaning in life without god, then we would be able to know by now.
Again, there is no meaning in life but the one you set for yourself.
If life is just a chemical reaction, then what's the point?
The point is what you want it to be. Life is the temporary ability to interact with other entities. Make the most of it.

Level 27
Level 27
A) if there was a point to life, I don't think it would have to do with physics ;)
Whatever.
I am saying that without god, life has no point.
So you consider the many luxuries you have pointless? Then why do you have them?
Yes. Because I choose to.
If life is all explainable, are you implying the afterlife is unexplainable? If so, then it would be as good as nonexistent, because we know nothing about what to do about it.
The god(s) that say there is an afterlife say what's important in this life. And I didn't imply or say that it is unexplainable, I said, nobody knows for sure.

Level 26
Yes. Because I choose to.
[rainbow]Why?[/rainbow]
The god(s) that say there is an afterlife say what's important in this life. And I didn't imply or say that it is unexplainable, I said, nobody knows for sure.
Then
1. What was the use of the "everything is explainable" argument
2. What could the afterlife possibly have that gives it point, and in turn, life point?

Level 27
I am saying that without god, life has no point.
and why does there have to be a point? even with God, how does he give it a point? to be goody goody so you can get into the afterlife and spend eternity there? so how does that serve a point? or is the point to make people believe in god? but then what are you rewarded with? same whoopitydoo heaven, where you live forever in pointlessness, and bliss, even though in order to have utopia, either all people would have to think identically, or you would have to live alone, which i'm sure is not everyone's view of a Utopian society..
There is no point, there never was a point, even if god existed, he wouldn't make life have a point, because it all winds up living eternally, pointlessly.
--donut3.5--

Level 27
[rainbow]Why?[/rainbow]
[RAINBOW]Because it's fun.[/RAINBOW]
What could the afterlife possibly have that gives it point, and in turn, life point?
Nobody knows anything very solid about what the afterlife is like. It doesn't even have to follow the same physics that we have here.

Honestly, is it that much of a stretch for god to give life meaning?

Level 26
[RAINBOW]Because it's fun.[/RAINBOW]
If it's fun to buy pointless things, it should be just as fun to give them to me.
Nobody knows anything very solid about what the afterlife is like. It doesn't even have to follow the same physics that we have here.
If nobody knows anything solid about it, life is still meaningless by your standards.
Honestly, is it that much of a stretch for god to give life meaning?
Yes it is. The existence of a superior entity pops up and suddenly we have a purpose? No. We all have different purposes, and who gives us these purposes? Ourselves? Did I hear god's voice in my head when I say something like "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up"? No, I assigned myself a purpose because I knew that the things an astronaut experience are favorable to me. If I were to become an astronaut, I would assign another purpose in life to me. I would say "I want to be the first man on Mars" or something. We assign ourselves purposes because of how they appeal to our 5 senses. The things we experience are what gives life purpose. I don't need a deity.

Level 27
If it's fun to buy pointless things, it should be just as fun to give them to me.
Oka... Wait a second...
If nobody knows anything solid about it, life is still meaningless by your standards.
Nobody knows anything very solid about what the afterlife is like, but that it has a point. Otherwise why would god bother with an afterlife?
Yes it is. The existence of a superior entity pops up and suddenly we have a purpose? No. We all have different purposes, and who gives us these purposes? Ourselves? Did I hear god's voice in my head when I say something like "I want to be an astronaut when I grow up"? No, I assigned myself a purpose because I knew that the things an astronaut experience are favorable to me. If I were to become an astronaut, I would assign another purpose in life to me. I would say "I want to be the first man on Mars" or something. We assign ourselves purposes because of how they appeal to our 5 senses. The things we experience are what gives life purpose. I don't need a deity.
You can give yourself the purpose of dying at birth, it doesn't make a difference. What does your life mean to anything else? In the big picture, nothing has a point because it is doomed to destruction.
The only thing that would give anything meaning, is a being that made the universe.

Level 26
You can give yourself the purpose of dying at birth, it doesn't make a difference. What does your life mean to anything else? In the big picture, nothing has a point because it is doomed to destruction.
The only thing that would give anything meaning, is a being that made the universe.
God making the universe does nothing to life's meaning at all. You're either created or you're created. Just because one entity is *supposedly* conscious doesn't do anything at all. I've already stated my reason to live. To find the effects on my 5 senses and, in turn, my mind that appeal to me the most.

Level 26
But suppose someone decides their purpose is to kill you, equally appropriate purposes to their respective minds, which prevails?
That's why there is law. Law stems from morality, which, in turn, stems from varying common elements of the mind. One cannot impede upon another's rights, and therefore, purposes in life have borders set.

Level 26
What if someone doesn't want a purpose other than killing?
What if I don't want any other ice cream flavor than vanilla? Self-assigned purposes aren't concrete, because "you can't always get what you want".
And what causes morality in the first place?
You know, I must have elaborated on this at least 3 times before without you asking me, because I knew you were going to ask me this, and you ended up asking it anyways. We all have common mental traits, such as materialism and empathy for the fellow man. From this stems a constantly changing point of view shared among people.
Self-assigned purpose means nothing in the big picture.
Saying "God does it for me" does nothing in the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.