• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I just felt like sharing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain. "You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit down to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it."

I liked this :)

Level 9
True, and yet, even though religion must be understood properly... not as a superstitious thing that drives people to do good/positive things only so they won't end up in some sort of hell/underworld/bad place. It has to be understood as it should, as a way to worship and believe knowingly into the will of the god (in the specific religion) without blindly doing whatever some priors or other people say.

Level 7
How about this weird 2012 thing? I know it's just a big hunch because of
the world being torn apart by us civilians. I guess they're just making weird
estimations on when the world will end. But the numbers / date doesn't make
any sense to me.

Level 22
How about this weird 2012 thing? I know it's just a big hunch because of
the world being torn apart by us civilians. I guess they're just making weird
estimations on when the world will end. But the numbers / date doesn't make
any sense to me.

The world should've ended tons of times already, according to some people. :p

Ironically science was started by Catholics. So were modern health care and education.

Like w3.player said, science has been here LONG before the Catholics; thousands of years B.C. (even before the Greeks and Egyptians started).

Level 11
Can you imagine a world without God? but only with pure Science?

Depending what you want to mean with this...We are currently living in a world without God since we can't notice him with our 5 senses...But we still believe in him and think that he exists...true, but we are also taught that he exists in another world called the unseen world...So i say yes, i can imagine a world without god, it's the one we are currently living in it, as science, i can notice it with all my 5 senses and it is part of our world...the seen world

But if you are reffering in a world where we don't even believe in God and we are 100% sure he is non existent and everyone believes and supports Darwin's theory of evolution...Then i can't answer this question for sure but i think humanity is gradually stepping into that kind of world, sadly but yes...Since with the advancement of culture and technology people tend to believe less in theology or mythology since a simple theorem can explain their problem

Level 22
everyone believes and supports Darwin's theory of evolution...

You've never heard of epigenetics have you? A new scientific theory related to it finds holes and inaccuracies in Darwin's theory and considering the age of Darwin's theory...

Fuck this theory and the 'Dinosaurs became extinct due to an asteroid colliding with the Earth' both are just to give rational explanation so all at school can get some manipulated evidence to say we know where we came from, we know all.

Fact is we don't know. While the scenario of an asteroid is very likely but no one can say with certainty it was so (cause no one's been there), there is no missing link between the primates and Homo Erectus, it was just hypothesized. The human origin remains a mystery so screw these explanations.

Most of what is taught in school is opinionated and manipulated. But one needs to give some rational explanation so here we go.

Level 3
Lo people.

@Topic: Like it was said before I think saying that this was Albert Einstein is pretty much bullshit, but still it's an interesting argument. Now first off I'm no christian; I believe in the religion of my german ancestors, even have an Yggdrasil tattoed on my back. There was a time when I felt nothing but hatred for every christian on this earth, because of what they've done to the european cultures by spreading their belief with sword and fire, but I've become more tolerant in the latest years, so I wanted to share my opinion on this.

I don't think its right to talk about "God", like it's a certain entity, just because the main religions of mankind talk in a monotheistic way. I only do agree to the term if its "a god" or "gods", because we do not have evidence that someone or something allmighty created everything in this world, nor we do have evidence that the opposite is the case - a dead end. I don't even want to get into scientific explanations, because as soon as someone who really knows about that stuff shows up I'll just make myself look stupid, so screw that, but I do know that there's enough evidence on evolution. The only thing that we do not know is if evolution is triggered by the circumstances a species is confronted with or by a superior being, so I think that can't be solved anyway.

Back2topic: The basic concepts of christianity, the 10 bids that are supposed to lead to a working society, they are allright, as well as the orphanary work, etc. But christians have always fucked up badly if you ask me. They exploited the lower classes like cattle, kept them dumb, telling them stories about an afterlife full of unimaginable suffering to stop revolutions, not even mentioning how they regarded "paigans", that went to hell no matter if they're good and righteous their whole life or if they're assholes. Then finally Luther translated the bible so the folks could see how the church told them just a bunch of crap. And don't even get me started on the pope, there's enough proof that there was a time when the vatican was just a gigantic partyhouse for whores and wine. Indulgences, child rape, crusades, witchburnings etc.

According to topic the christians got enough "absence of god" to last 2000 years and more. Do I believe in heaven? Yes, my version is called Walhalla. Do I believe in Hell? Yes, my version is called Helsheim, the home of the half-corpse goddess. But I realise that my belief is just one of many, I wouldn't even complain if someone believed in a god called "Wallaboolahoo", which created everything and fancies gold rims and strawberry icecream over everything, it's his freakin belief and his life. The basic concept is just that we think it's unfair if 2 people die, the one evil and wicked and the other lawful and honest; and both of them get paid the same coin in the end - we think it's unfair, thats why we keep thinking about the afterlife or fate that guides us, whatever.

So long.

Level 22
^ There is indeed evolution, our needless bone tails and other features shows that, like you said ' if evolution is triggered by the circumstances a species is confronted with or by a superior being' - I liked that point,

Because it seems there could be a mixture of what the two sides believe. For me the Bible has 2 options:

1) is a total fairy tale
2) is misinterpreted into being something else, like superior beings

In order 2) to be true that would be the only possible option of 'Being created according to God's appearance', Virgin Marie made pregnant artificially, the fire surroudning God who appeared in front of Moses. All this sounds like Genetic engineering, artificial pregnancy can be done nowadays, things from the sky - more like things from space. People could not go outside the Earth so they call it 'from the sky' - very interesting is this Ancient Astro Theory but where is the evidence the BiBLE is REAL? - Aha there is none, thus why this theory is only speculation,

But a lot of things could be mixed, I find these ancient theories much more attractive. Then comes your guy:
giofinale2.jpeg

And all this is ridiculed as a result :<

Level 7
1- If it was in Albert Einstein's era, the teacher would have a beating stick made out of bamboo next to him.
2- Albert was a Jew (not religious)
3- Albert was a school dropout, he was considered someone with the IQ of an Ass
4- remember that bambo beating stick we talked about in 1 ? Well make it Bamboo beating stick * Deus ex Machina.

2 Einstein believed in god, infact he said that as he learned more he came to understand that their must be a creator, another famous scientist said the same thing, only this scientist was a naturalist not theoretical physicist and who people keep saying that he proved man evolved from ape he didn't, not in the entirty that is the origin of species
3 actually that is an urban myth, he finished high school and was considered quite smart.

i like his order of reasoning.

Level 3
In order 2) to be true that would be the only possible option of 'Being created according to God's appearance', Virgin Marie made pregnant artificially, the fire surroudning God who appeared in front of Moses. All this sounds like Genetic engineering, artificial pregnancy can be done nowadays, things from the sky - more like things from space. People could not go outside the Earth so they call it 'from the sky' - very interesting is this Ancient Astro Theory but where is the evidence the BiBLE is REAL? - Aha there is none, thus why this theory is only speculation,

So you're talking interventionary evolution here? Alright. I'm familiar with that theory, but I don't believe in it. I think it's absolutely reasonable to say that every human or humanoid (other forms of manapes that evolved) really did "evolve" by itself. There's enough proof, like our still pretty much useless growth of body hair, our crippled tail or just the similarities between the bone structure of men and apes. I do believe in life that exists outside of our homeplanet, I mean, everybody who looks up to the nightsky and sees all these stars, should be aware that every littlest one of them was or still is a sun, powering its own solar system; not even mentioning the ones we don't see with our bare eye. Plus we have even more galaxies than the milky way in our universe which is multiplying the chance that we'll ever meet another intelligent lifeform by the billions. That way, I think it's quite possible to believe that we've been watched or even visited by aliens that used a far more evolved technology than ours, but in that case I think they've been smart enough not to leave any evidence.

If you don't think evolution can happen that fast on it's own, just take the ability to drink milk for example. I think it's called lactose in your language? I'm not sure. Anyways, the ability of a body to use lactose in the age of an adult was not "meant" to happen, but with many people that survived also by the means of raising cattle and drinking their milk this mutation forced it's way to the DNA of every uhm, caucasian person (isn't that the way white ppl are called?) and also many african tribes.

So there you go, I think evolution really does still happen, but we're just not aware of it that much. Also evolution mustn't mean that you grow a horn like a rhino or wings, it can be such little changes like I said; and I guess most of the time it is, too.

2 Einstein believed in god, infact he said that as he learned more he came to understand that their must be a creator, another famous scientist said the same thing, only this scientist was a naturalist not theoretical physicist and who people keep saying that he proved man evolved from ape he didn't, not in the entirty that is the origin of species
3 actually that is an urban myth, he finished high school and was considered quite smart.

2. Einstein really did believe in god, especially when he encountered the scientific myths he couldn't solve, but that doesn't mean they can't be solved, nor that he was wrong. Many of Einsteins basic theories aren't up2date anymore. The most popular one that is used instead of his is the string theory I think, so yeah. Maybe he had the wrong approach to things.

3. Wrong, no "urban myth". Back in these days in Germany we had universities (to start studying a specific field of knowledge), the "Gymnasium" (that was the highest grade you could reach in schooltime the "Abitur", which enabled you to study) and we had the "Volksschule". We didn't have anything like high school, the closest thing might have been the Volksschule, but Einstein didn't attend to that, he was going to the gymnasium. He was considered smart, but also revolutionary and stubborn, thus he left school on his own will, when his family moved away and his director was bitching around too much in his opinion. You also should move away from the imagination that it's just all cool and you could've just done your thing in the german Kaiserreich. If someone didn't stay in line they'd beat the shit out of you to put you in order and if you still didn't, you were dropped by society, so was Einstein. As far as I know he was working as a lowly writer in the patent office, till he made his first discovery, which was extremly hard for him to publish, because nobody would take notice of him (didn't finish school, study, etc.) and just laugh about his futuristic jabber.

Just to correct your point 3.

Level 3
The christian and the jewish god, both called "God". In jewish literature it's sometimes also called God of Israel, or Jisrael, don't remember, but as far as I know, most of the time the highest entities of both beliefs are considered to be the same.

Again, I don't know if Einstein really did believe in that "God" or just generally in a superior creator, because his family wasn't that religious.

@Joe-black-5: You were also right about your "Einsteins IQ of an ass" point. People thought about him that way for a long time, because he didn't finish school. It meant and still means alot in germany to have somekind of credit on your intelligence and skills. Without that you won't be taken seriously.

Level 9
None of us can prove which was Einstein's IQ because we still can't go back in time and check... All we can do is agree or not with those who say it was very big.

The same thing about God... we can't prove he is there... so we can either agree he is either not. (What God is... it's a totally different matter)

Level 3
None of us can prove which was Einstein's IQ because we still can't go back in time and check... All we can do is agree or not with those who say it was very big.

You didn't understand me. I wasn't saying that Einstein was a dumbass, I just said that here in germany, nobody cares about your know-how as long as you don't have any kind of certificate to prove it and back in the Kaiserreich it was even worse, because if someone didn't finish school it meant he didn't stay in line and that meant the same as having the word "Stoopid" tattooed on your forehead. So the general opinion on Einstein was that hes dumb or at least useless to society, whatever; until his discoveries have become famous and acknowledged.

Well anyway, my opinion on this argument @topic is that its interesting in the beginning, too esoteric in the end and there's no way that this was Einstein at all. I think I've said my part.

Level 22
^ That's correct and there is maybe 100% certainty evolution is involved, we can see it. I was just saying if the Bible/Sumerian writings is correct, the only logical explanation is some other beings as much as this sounds funny to some, but if the Bible isn't correct then, just what we accept nowadays. I don't involve myself in claiming anything of those theories as fact without any solid proof :>

Level 11
^ There is indeed evolution, our needless bone tails and other features shows that, like you said ' if evolution is triggered by the circumstances a species is confronted with or by a superior being' - I liked that point,

Because it seems there could be a mixture of what the two sides believe. For me the Bible has 2 options:

1) is a total fairy tale
2) is misinterpreted into being something else, like superior beings

But a lot of things could be mixed, I find these ancient theories much more attractive. Then comes your guy:
giofinale2.jpeg

And all this is ridiculed as a result :<

Just thinking of the posibility that we, the human race are in fact genetic mutants created by an alien specie gives me the creeps xD

You've never heard of epigenetics have you? A new scientific theory related to it finds holes and inaccuracies in Darwin's theory and considering the age of Darwin's theory...

Fuck this theory and the 'Dinosaurs became extinct due to an asteroid colliding with the Earth' both are just to give rational explanation so all at school can get some manipulated evidence to say we know where we came from, we know all.

Fact is we don't know. While the scenario of an asteroid is very likely but no one can say with certainty it was so (cause no one's been there), there is no missing link between the primates and Homo Erectus, it was just hypothesized. The human origin remains a mystery so screw these explanations.

Most of what is taught in school is opinionated and manipulated. But one needs to give some rational explanation so here we go.

Hmmm...ok...i failed there xD...But lol, i didn't knew about that

Ironically science was started by Catholics. So were modern health care and education.

Actually wrong...Health was developed in Ancient times in the Greek and Roman times...They developed Public Baths, Sewers, Aqueducts and so on.This was before Christianity
After Christianity, it seems like the humans abandoned these things...and chose to shit and piss on the streets, never wash themselves, exept on hands and other parts...
And actually, catholics banned science if i am right.Alchemy, for example was thought of being ,,evil" and so the church banned it

I can also state that the age when Christianity was at its best, A.K.A the Middle Age was the worst time of humanity, more like a step backward...I mean, people were massacring women just because they thought they were witches, while this witches proved to be mind disorded women(In worst case) or simply village women who use herbs and so on as medicines
And mostly, the inquisity of witchcraft was mostly used for self interests not to ban away ,,Satan's worshipers"
And also it was a grim time because they didn't developed technology and health much so they can make their lives easier...Remember the alchemy thing?I mean, where it writes that science, or technology, or health, or culture, or any advancement of these is the enemy of God?Yes it is true, with the advance of technology we start to lower our belief in God, but that is the choice WE made, not the one science dictated us to take

Level 22
Dynamiczx said:
Actually wrong...Health was developed in Ancient times in the Greek and Roman times...They developed Public Baths, Sewers, Aqueducts and so on.This was before Christianity
After Christianity, it seems like the humans abandoned these things...and chose to shit and piss on the streets, never wash themselves, exept on hands and other parts...
And actually, catholics banned science if i am right.Alchemy, for example was thought of being ,,evil" and so the church banned it

I can also state that the age when Christianity was at its best, A.K.A the Middle Age was the worst time of humanity, more like a step backward...I mean, people were massacring women just because they thought they were witches, while this witches proved to be mind disorded women(In worst case) or simply village women who use herbs and so on as medicines
And mostly, the inquisity of witchcraft was mostly used for self interests not to ban away ,,Satan's worshipers"
And also it was a grim time because they didn't developed technology and health much so they can make their lives easier...Remember the alchemy thing?I mean, where it writes that science, or technology, or health, or culture, or any advancement of these is the enemy of God?Yes it is true, with the advance of technology we start to lower our belief in God, but that is the choice WE made, not the one science dictated us to take

Reminds me of this funny picture I saw a while ago:

christianityk.jpg

:p

Oh my the trolling levels were way off the chart here, please try to keep this civil or else I'm going to have to close this, like every single other religion thread anyone posts ever.

@OT

Alright I can paraphrase that entire exchange in one sentence:
"You're point (towards the professor) is wrong and thus mine must be right"

I'd say this whole exchange is a straw man tactic, most non-thiests wouldn't be so quick to try and explain their standpoint on a basis of the concept of "good and evil."

Level 34
Alright I can paraphrase that entire exchange in one sentence:
"You're point (towards the professor) is wrong and thus mine must be right"

I'd say this whole exchange is a straw man tactic, most non-thiests wouldn't be so quick to try and explain their standpoint on a basis of the concept of "good and evil."
People often mention how they can't understand how God could be infinitely loving, and create evil. I think the idea was to point out that "evil" doesn't actually exist. What we call "evil" is simply the absence of good, or more correctly, the absence of God.

Level 3
Not even the fact that we have souls is proven, yet we do know it...

Proofs are too much overrated.

You're a real fan of that esoteric talk, right? I don't even know what a "soul" is. Is it our personality or our whole mind or everything combined? Now I don't know that I have a soul, I belief in the electric shizz happening in my brain that makes me who I am.

For example once in philosophy class we saw a movie with a man who used to get drunk every weekend and beat the shit out of anyone that was close enough to him. Now he gets one knock too much to the head, goes K.O. and when he gets conscious again he's in hospital, people tell him what he did and he can't believe it, because suddenly he disapproves violence completely, likes painting and listening to classic music (What he's probably still doing in prison - The interview already happened there). So basically his whole personality got flipped around. There were more examples in that movie, but I just remembered this one =P So the guy who hit him had such a mean right hook that he penetrated through his neurocells into his soul matter and crushed it, so the soul got shook up, right? No shit

I don't know, that sentence of yours pisses me off. There is no proof that something like a soul exists and proof isn't overrated at all. I like proof. I like the fact that we're educated and laugh about doomsdaysayers or other dumbasses, or that I know that the sky isn't a seiling that might fall on my head any second. Proof is not overrated, right now it has just the right rating if you ask me.

Level 11
You're a real fan of that esoteric talk, right? I don't even know what a "soul" is. Is it our personality or our whole mind or everything combined? Now I don't know that I have a soul, I belief in the electric shizz happening in my brain that makes me who I am.

For example once in philosophy class we saw a movie with a man who used to get drunk every weekend and beat the shit out of anyone that was close enough to him. Now he gets one knock too much to the head, goes K.O. and when he gets conscious again he's in hospital, people tell him what he did and he can't believe it, because suddenly he disapproves violence completely, likes painting and listening to classic music (What he's probably still doing in prison - The interview already happened there). So basically his whole personality got flipped around. There were more examples in that movie, but I just remembered this one =P So the guy who hit him had such a mean right hook that he penetrated through his neurocells into his soul matter and crushed it, so the soul got shook up, right? No shit

I don't know, that sentence of yours pisses me off. There is no proof that something like a soul exists and proof isn't overrated at all. I like proof. I like the fact that we're educated and laugh about doomsdaysayers or other dumbasses, or that I know that the sky isn't a seiling that might fall on my head any second. Proof is not overrated, right now it has just the right rating if you ask me.

Actually proofs are really over rated sometimes...Because most people tend to stop what they do when they are faced with a proof that proves that what they do is wrong and it will only be a waste of time
I think that if you want to make something, and there is a proof that shows that what you do is wrong, if in your mind, you know that what you do is good, you shall continue with it and leave that proof alone
Yet most people tend not to do this when their argument or action is proved to be invalid, yet if they are 100% sure that it is valid, they shall not stop supporting it

Oh, and about that movie you say...Movies are mostly artistical motion pictures so they don't really need to resemble the real life...
And also, that punch in his head or whatever doesn't have to ,,touch" his soul or whatever, his soul maybe changed cuz he realized in the hospital that what he did is wrong, and also he wasn't drunk anymore...People are very diffrent when they are drunk

Level 31
Not even the fact that we have souls is proven, yet we do know it...

Proofs are too much overrated.

I don't believe that we have souls lol.

proofs are too much overrated, What does this mean? does it mean that if we find proof that god exists, religious people won't want to show it to the world ''because proof are too much overrated''? or just that because scientists are doing the exact same thing ''against'' the religion, then proof are too much overrated.

Level 22
People often mention how they can't understand how God could be infinitely loving, and create evil. I think the idea was to point out that "evil" doesn't actually exist. What we call "evil" is simply the absence of good, or more correctly, the absence of God.

And you agree with this? You think every atheist is evil?

Level 3
Epically agreed

Yeah, right. Why don't you start gather some inbred childraping friends with crosses on their shirts to slaughter and burn everyone that is no christian. Free torches and knifes at every church of your choice x_X Great comment. I see now why most religion oriented threads here needed to be closed down.

Now that i think about what you say...You are right...and so, my argument too is a fail xD

Congratulations.

Anyways, vote 4 close

Level 9
I wasn't saying anything about religion. I was talking about proof in general... people sometimes take proofs as something too important. I don't say that they aren't good... yes, we need proofs in many ways, many things, discoveries, etc... but sometimes it's just that people look for a proof too much for no reason, or if they find some proof they think is much more important that it really is...

As for souls... it was just a mere example, i wasn't referring to "soul" as in the religious beliefs (the existence outside our bodies)... just the simple idea of having some kind of energy we can't really feel but which "drives us".

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Thank you. I also see your post and respect you for it, i agree that religion should be a way for us to live together and aid each other spiritually, not something that sets up a specific system towards salvation.
Well, I would (unfortunately) differ in having a belief of a 'specific system of salvation' . However, I think we can both agree that if there is such a thing, it shouldn't be used as a weapon against one's fellow man.

--EDIT--
Whoops, sorry; bit of a necro-post. Mah bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.